Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
I :fap: TO UNDERAGE GYMNASTS

SMP posted:

I love the fast and furious movies :smith:, they're my guilty pleasures.

They're all decent/good/genuinely entertaining except the pile of poo poo that is 2Fast2Furious. My favourite is Tokyo Drift.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
Anyone here have the Vengeance trilogy on blu-ray? Are there problems with it? From what I've seen on Amazon.com, something's wrong with the packaging. AV quality are all good?

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
Hmm, well I have the Old Boy BD from a while back so I could swap that out or something. Sounds good then.

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
This Secret of Kells looks like something to get. Never even heard of it, but 10 years in the making?

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010

William Pahllace posted:

Got my first digibook with Se7en and think it's pretty neato, so I may jump for this, seeing as it's one of my favorite movies.

By the way, why is there such adversity to 'em? I mean I guess I've read people prefer the traditional cases but I've never heard a real "why" they do.

Probably because they're sperglords so everything must be uniform and perfect on the shelf.

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010

Bambi posted:

Exclusively at Target, you will get $7.50 movie cash toward Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows when you buy either of the Ultimate Editions coming out on Tuesday ($34.99 each).

anyone else waiting for the inevitable box set? Even then you may have to wait for the second or third version to get the last of it.

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010

doctor thodt posted:

Good lord, that is PACKED. So stoked for that release.

e: There was a recent rumor about The Incredibles coming to BD next spring. This has been confirmed by a trailer included with Toy Story 3.

Jesus Christ, finally. It's like they knew that this one movie is the one people actually wanted on BD and held it back. It's a conspiracy I tells ya.

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
That's just a terrible cover overall regardless of Liam's face. There are a lot of things you could do with A-Team and four guys and make it look cool. That's just lazy and unimaginative.

I have no suggestions for a better alternative. loving sparks, really?

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010

sportsgenius86 posted:

The DVD cover literally has them hovering above the ground. They just took the movie poster and photoshopped everyone up the image so they're detached from their shadows just floating in the air.

drat, I just saw it on Amazon. They could have paid someone in SA-Mart $50 for better work. I guess this movie was so disappointing in the box office that they're trying to recoup costs everywhere.

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
Does no one have a problem with dvdbeaver's site layout or are you all just used to the shittiness by now?

blu-ray.com's review of the same movie, which I'd rather read through.

Dudebro fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Oct 27, 2010

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
What's up with the TRON blu-ray? Seems like they're missing a good opportunity to release it. Though I'm watching it right now and it wouldn't jive too well with TRON Legacy's target audience.

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
Seems like that plan of not hurting the ticket sales really came through in the end :v:

I saw it today and I liked it. Although it doesn't hurt having Olivia Wilde...in leather tights...in 3D...in IMAX. And I just saw the original yesterday for the first time and I thought it was somewhat lame though I appreciated it to an extent.

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
Are those Miramax titles going to be released under another distributor?

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
Is this supposed to be the best version of the Vengeance Trilogy?

http://www.amazon.ca/Vengeance-Trilogy-Blu-ray/dp/B003Y8YAYC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1299735545&sr=8-1

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
God is not pleased with this blu-ray, not pleased at all.

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
As long as the breaks are somewhere logical then I don't mind. That's a long time to be sitting anyway.

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
Now we wait for that pic of a collection organized by genre/director/alphabet and whatever the hell else.

I have to admit that I care about getting my packaging in good condition, but I've been caring less and less over the years. When I get something initially, I inspect it. Litte dents bother me, but then I don't even care the next day. Honestly, it's probably about how busy you are in your life and what kind of priorities you have.

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
Hahaha, not even a contest. Audio nerds are terrible and half the time it's some pseudo crap they're talking about. At least with videos, we can stand around and compare stuff, point to stuff rather than say, "Did you hear the difference? I did!"

But about the EE, I like the way Fellowship looks now. Flesh tones look more natural or less pale and nature shots are deeper in colour. Some greens are a bit strong though.

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010

I was waiting but I might bite now, free shipping too for me. I assume the packaging is the same for the EEs. I don't really like the forced-on French stuff :spergin:

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010

The pHo posted:

Ouch, by far the worst movie I've seen all year. I was a big fan of Snyder's "Watchmen", but SP is just an unwatchable mess of a film.

I read some discussion about it on the imdb forums, made me appreciate it a lot more. Still like Watchmen a lot more though, but there's something to be appreciated about SP.

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
I was reading the burger analogy as if :spergin: wrote it, but maybe :goonsay: is more appropriate since he goes into such detail about a goddamn burger.

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
I actually like the black bars, gives it more of a cinematic feel. When I watch something that isn't full screen on my monitor, I'll adjust the window size so that there are some black bars.

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010

frumpsnake posted:

One thing I don't understand is that the fullscreen DVDs seemed to be specific to the US. The studios had no problem dictating that it was widescreen or nothing in most other markets. You would think there's be a proportional number of those "idiots" in Europe, the UK, Australia etc.

No, you wouldn't really.

and lol @ the Wal-Mart tidbit.

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010

GonSmithe posted:

Hahaha, I don't think blu-ray.com is even trying to be credible with film reviews (wait, yes they are, they actually rate films now... for some reason...):
http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Soul-Surfer-Blu-ray/23779/#Review
Soul Surfer, 5.0 for movie review.

goddamnit what the gently caress. That movie is a 5/10 at best. I really wish someone would have warned me that there were strong religious undertones.

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
Anyone know how the Star Trek TOS blu-rays sold? I just got into Star Trek TNG and I decided to check out the remastered first season and it looks amazing and I'm finding it watchable so far (all factors considered). A little late to the party, I know.

I went looking for TNG blu-ray information and it's definitely in the works. A four-episode tester is being put out likely in December. And LeVar Burton put out that positive tweet of when he got a sneak peek at the remaster. Turns out they have to remaster it as well since the show was shot on film, but the effects were done in 480p so it would be a real disservice to just upscale everything (as it would have been for TOS). I'm hoping the tester is well-received and they can go on to full production. Anyway, that's why I ask about the sales of the TOS blu-rays.

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
So I'm guessing the sales isn't something that one would worry about? Still, it's a tremendous undertaking to redo the effects.

But I imagine that TNG is the most popular series so it would sell even better than TOS. Anyone who likes TOS first probably likes TNG, but not necessarily the other way around. That's my impression from my generation anyway.

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010

Electronico6 posted:

Me too. But for the later, actually good, seasons, and not the first two, very boring, seasons.

I've just started watching the series for the first time and almost done the first two seasons. They seem fine to me and have been very enjoyable so far. Season 1 is different though because of budget (I'm guessing) and ironing out the wrinkles. My guess is that season one will benefit the most from redone effects.

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010

Multiplesarcasm posted:

The general consensus is wait until Riker has a beard.

He's only beardless in season one and goddamn is it weird. The beard only works because it hides the extreme smugness of his face :smug: <--- Might as well be called :riker: (hah, didn't know this existed)

One of my favourite episodes is the traveller episode (Where No One Has Gone Before) from season one. Can't wait to see that in glorious 1080p.

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
What the hell does 1.78:1 created for "certain distribution venues" mean exactly?

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
Amazon.ca has the LotR set for $45 today. Says it usually ships in 1-3 months. They're having some kind of daily set of deals.

http://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/ref=pe_171390_21124800_pe_row/?ASIN=B004HEWNBO

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
Close-ups of Data will be downright frightening. I'm really interested in what they do with the episode about that addictive game. There were lots of effects in that one. I've got a list of my favourites. Can't wait to rewatch them, but it'll be years for all the seasons to come out.

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
Does anyone have a timeline of when the TNG blu-rays will come out season by season? What was it like for TOS?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010

Sporadic posted:

TOS Season 1 HD-DVD = November 20, 2007
TOS Season 1 Blu-Ray = April 28, 2009
TOS Season 2 Blu-Ray = September 22, 2009
TOS Season 3 Blu-Ray = December 15, 2009

I wouldn't expect an aggressive release like that since they are dipping their toe in the water to see if it will sell.

Thanks. I would be very surprised if the TNG sets did not at least sell around the same, if not better, than the TOS sets.

But they might be better served to sell them at least 6-12 months apart because I'm guessing that each one won't be too aggressively priced at all at first.

• Locked thread