Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Volcasarus ReX
Apr 1, 2010

I guess I might be one of the youngest guys on here cause I would have put blade runner under classics. I'm assuming that by classics most of you mean black and white though.

Also I would like to add that maybe a mention of the LG Players in the OP for people that are not trying to spend a lot of money but still enjoy the format. I picked up the LG-BD370 for around 150 awhile ago, and I have had zero issues with it so far. I was even able to play Avatar the Day it came out. Bluray.com gave it a 4.5 and I believe Cnet was around the same.

Might be a good recommendation for someone as a starter bluray player. (I plan on upgrading to an Oppo)

Volcasarus ReX fucked around with this message at 00:52 on May 5, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volcasarus ReX
Apr 1, 2010

FitFortDanga posted:

Half the stuff on thodt's and Bambi's "classics" lists are in color.

I guess the cut-off point is roughly 1980? I probably would have put Blade Runner under classics too.

That seems about right. It's kinda scary to think about what crap movies are going to be considered classics when I'm in my 50s.

Volcasarus ReX
Apr 1, 2010

Bambi posted:

Speaking of this, why is nobody else doing it?

I'll do it for modern, since I don't own any classics at the moment, but I know everyone will make fun of me for my list.

Here we go......

Modern
Star Trek
American History X
The Dark Knight
Shaun of the Dead
Zombieland
Troy
Iron Man
The Departed

I swear I'm not 17 I just really like more recent movies. I like old movies also, but I just started working on my bluray collection a few months ago and haven't bought that many "older" movies. I have a huge list that I'm working on finishing.

Volcasarus ReX
Apr 1, 2010

Daveski posted:

Avatar is probably the best looking/sounding disc I own but since it has zero extra features it's not on my list.

Because they want to re-release it this holiday season as a special edition. We should just refer to the upcoming Avatar as Avatar 2.0 or perhaps Avatar: Milk It for Every Dollar Edition.

Volcasarus ReX
Apr 1, 2010

Cacator posted:

Would it be wise to assume that the re-release will contain the current disc as-is or will they sacrifice the A/V quality for special features (it's bound to have a commentary at least)? Wondering how much I need to buy it or not. I haven't actually seen any stores demoing it for some reason.

Not sure if you saw this but Agreed answered your question at the start of his debate, but yes the re-release will most likely be multiple disk. So most likely the fist disk will just be the current one that is out now, and all of the other bonus whatnot on two disk and probably a 4th disk for digital copy. I can't remember off the top of my head but I believe that I have another bluray that has all of the special features on another disk. If not on any of my blus I know a few of my dvds are that way.

Not sure if anyone is really interested but Bluray.com has the complete collection for LOST listed with a August 24th release. List price is 279.99 but Amazon has it for 194.99.

Volcasarus ReX fucked around with this message at 20:22 on May 5, 2010

Volcasarus ReX
Apr 1, 2010

Doctor Thodt/Everyone,

Is there somewhere that I can get the paper sleeves that go over some of the bluray cases. Like the ones that come on Avatar, Star Trek, The Hurt Locker, and many more.

I think I saw a forum on bluray.com where people were trading them but I don't want to give up the ones I have now. I'll look some more on there, but if anyone knows of a site where I can get them I would appreciate it.

Thanks

Volcasarus ReX
Apr 1, 2010

Bambi posted:

Slipcovers? There's no website that sells them individually - you'd have to purchase them from private sellers, if there are any - and indeed there are - I've seen plenty for sale on the blu-ray.com trading forum. They're not only for trade, so you might want to dig a little deeper there - I'm sure you'll find a few for sale.

Personally I find them to be pretty pointless and wasteful. Furthermore, out of the ~400 Blu-Rays I have, maybe 1 in 8 came with a slipcover. If only every 8th title on my shelf had a slipcover, it'd look rather stupid.

The degree to which some people obsess over slipcovers is absolutely insane. People will refuse to buy certain titles without them, or buy others on the sole basis that they come with a slipcover. I've seen more than my fair share of posts where people explain how they go into a store and beg employees to just let them "have" the slipcovers off certain movies.

Yeah I'm actually in the opposite of your collection. Since I haven't hit 50 yet I would say a third of my blus have the slipcovers. I agree that it looks weird having some movies with them and some without. I was hoping there was a site where I could buy them for a buck or two, but most of the one's I saw on bluray.com were asking for 5$ and up. I'm not going to spend fifty dollars just for slipcovers. I guess I might have to put the ones I have for sale on there.

I'm not really picky about if the movie has a slipcover when I buy it, but my ODC does prefer to have a more uniform looking shelf when it comes to my games/movies. I'm not going to let a slipcover decide if I buy a movie or not, I'm not that crazy.

Volcasarus ReX
Apr 1, 2010

FitFortDanga posted:

Some upcoming Lionsgate titles:

Ladybugs
Jimmy Hollywood
Johnny Handsome
Rambo: Extended Cut
Rambo: The Complete Collector's Set
Lock Up

Also these:

Is that the Rodney Dangerfield Ladybugs?

I watched that movie way more times then I should probably admit when I was younger. Too bad Jonathan Brandis killed himself. I liked sidekicks when I was a kid and also watched Seaquest.

Volcasarus ReX
Apr 1, 2010

Bambi posted:

So, a film by the name of Outlander came out on Blu-Ray today. I had never heard of it before, but it appears to star James Caviezel as an alien who crash-lands on earth and helps a bunch of vikings kill another alien. Now, this seems like a pretty high concept to me, but reviews are mixed: 39% on RottenTomatoes, 6.4 on imdb. What do you say, goons? A fun little romp, or just more trash?

I watched it several months ago, and although it's not the worst movie I have ever seen I don't think I could justify buying it on Bluray. There were some parts that I liked a lot but for the most part it's just a B quality scifi film.

My recommendation is to try and get it off amazon for really cheap or wait until it's really cheap. Basically I wouldn't pay full price but if I picked it up for cheap I would be ok with it.

Volcasarus ReX
Apr 1, 2010

I said come in! posted:

Sweet, this movie is great.

This movie was amazing, but they could have done the first 35 minutes a little better. It just moved a little slow.

But on the subject of Spartacus:Blood and Sand, I agree that the first few episodes will make you really want to turn your tv off but after about the fifth episode it becomes extremely amazing. The season finale is probably one of the best I have seen for a first season tv show.

Volcasarus ReX
Apr 1, 2010

fenix down posted:

Are you going to get the blu ray?

Of course I will. Overall I thought the movie was great and I'm really looking forward to it. I hope they have some great bonus features, for some reason I just expect this bluray to come with lots of great extras.

Volcasarus ReX
Apr 1, 2010

ProfessorClumsy posted:

FitFortDanga has a cure for that.

I tried searching but couldn't find what he said.

However, I actually re-watched the movie the other day and it wasn't as drawn out as I remember at the theater. I would say as of now it's one of my favorite movies from this year

Volcasarus ReX fucked around with this message at 00:39 on May 24, 2010

Volcasarus ReX
Apr 1, 2010

Robert Analog posted:

I just picked up The Road on my lunch break, what a horrible DVD cover:

I'm more excited for Book of Eli. Both movies are great but I liked Eli slightly more.

Volcasarus ReX
Apr 1, 2010

I said come in! posted:

The Book of Eli was loving stupid. That twist ending was beyond retarded too.

Mila Kunis is hot.

I wouldn't really call it a twist ending. I figured out fairly quickly what the big "twist" was going to be. I wouldn't say it's one of the best movies of the last few years but it's not completely stupid. There are a lot of movies out there that are much worse than Eli.

But yes Mila Kunis is crazy hot.

I group The Road and Eli together because they are both post apocalyptic settings, obviously the stories differ but it's still the same type of setting.

Volcasarus ReX
Apr 1, 2010

doctor thodt posted:

Yeah, Adventureland almost never drops in price. It's also on sale at Target this week......for $24.99. 3rd party sellers on Amazon are selling like-new copies for under $12 though.

I'm kinda curious why some of these BD never drop in price at best buy. I'm sure they don't have much say in it but it seems like some BD are always very close to the starting price even after a few years of being out.

For example Sin City is one that best buy is still selling for 29.99, but it seems like that movie has been out on Bluray for a long time now, right? However you can get fight club 10th anniversary at best buy right now for 15.99. I know that Sin City came out six years after FC, but wasn't SC on bluray first?

I love the pricing on Amazon but it's only worth it to me if I'm picking up between 7-10 at a time.

Volcasarus ReX
Apr 1, 2010

Tony Danza Claus posted:

Not this week. It's $14.99. :woop:

I didn't see it listed on the weekly ad, so I'll have to stop by and look for it. I did however see they had Armageddon on sale this week for 12.99.

If you didn't say anything I probably wouldn't have even checked best buy this week and missed the price drop yet again.

Thanks

Edit: I also never saw Hot Tub Time Machine... Good Bluray buy or was it a stupid movie?

Volcasarus ReX fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Jun 3, 2010

Volcasarus ReX
Apr 1, 2010

Tony Danza Claus posted:

Not this week. It's $14.99. :woop:

Went and picked it up today, and the PQ and AQ are amazing. I haven't actually watched Sin City in about 4 years and it was really nice to watch it again in such great quality.

As for the 14.99 deals next week..

Is the Terminator Salvation a good bluray to own? I wasn't that impressed with the movie when I saw it in theater but I wasn't really let down by it either.

Will be picking Moon up for sure though. I love Sam Rockwell

Volcasarus ReX
Apr 1, 2010

Connellingus posted:

Amazon is having a "High-Def Week" in the Gold Box, with some sales on Blu-ray movies, home theater equipment and video games. At the time of this writing, the complete Battlestar Galactica is on sale until 9 am PST or they run out. After that is the Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon / Curse of the Golden Flower / House of Flying Daggers trilogy, and later today they'll have the Austin Powers collection and the collector's edition of I Am Legend. Later this week, there will be National Geographic's Extreme, National Geographic's Sea Monsters, the Ultimate Matrix Collection, John Adams, Wrestlemania XXV, The Universe and The Prisoner.

Do you know how much the I Am Legend deal is? I know it's normally 40$ from amazon so I'm hopeful for at least 10$ off.

Volcasarus ReX
Apr 1, 2010

I really like how they are trying to get blurays out a lot sooner after the movies hit theaters. It didn't take that long for Alice in Wonderland to come out and if Amazon.com is to be believed they will have The Losers out on bluray two months after it was released in theaters.

I really like this. I get impatient waiting for the bluray after seeing an awesome movie.

Volcasarus ReX
Apr 1, 2010

Not sure how many people will find this amazing, but Fanboys is coming to bluray on July 27th. I think this movie is awesome but i'm probably part of a small crowd.

Volcasarus ReX
Apr 1, 2010

GonSmithe posted:

Iron Man 2 Blu-Ray/DVD details are up on Marvel.com

That is a LOT of poo poo for a single Blu-Ray. I can't wait to hear the commentary. It was one of the only things I wish the original Blu-Ray had on it.
Can't wait to get it.
They also used the awesome Mark IV armor as the cover, which is great, because that was my wallpaper for a while and I love the image.

All of the stuff on the disk sounds great but I kinda hope they go the Dark Knight route and have a awesome collectors edition with special casing. I don't recall them doing that for the first one.

Volcasarus ReX
Apr 1, 2010

TheSwami posted:

Target had an exclusive "head case" thing, a plastic Iron Man helmet that opened up with the discs inside. Then they did that for like every superhero movie afterward. Surely they'll have something similar for this.

yeah I remember seeing that but didn't think it was worth mentioning it. It looked horrible when I saw it in stores. I'm hoping for something a bit less trashy and nice.

Volcasarus ReX
Apr 1, 2010

I forgot to mention yesterday that if anyone was looking to get Face Off on bluray best buy has it for 10$.

Volcasarus ReX
Apr 1, 2010

Lee Harvey Oswald posted:

I hope Kick-rear end falls in price closer to its release. The cheapest I've been able to find it is on Amazon for 23 dollars.

Best Buy will most likely do a sell price of 19.99 when it comes out. However, this movie is one that I wouldn't even consider the price when picking it up. It's a must have for me.

Also can you guys help me with something?

I was checking out some reviews on bluray.com and it seems that their overall rating is jacked up on several titles. When I look at the PQ and AQ ratings they are four or higher but then the overall is less than four. I know sometimes they factor in the reviewers opinion of the movie but normally the have a bar specifically for that. It seems like the last six or so movies I looked at on there are all overall 3.5 but when you read the review there is nothing bad said at all. Are they just doing a default rating now for the overall or is there something wrong with the site?

Volcasarus ReX
Apr 1, 2010

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

I figure this is the best thread to ask.

I just got a PS3, and it is my first Blu-Ray player.

What Blus do you fellow movie nerds recommend to help me get my collection started. I currently own one, The Dark Knight (it was on sale at Wal-Mart, and I love the movie, so it was a no-brainer)

Well since blurays are not that expensive I would recommend any movie you like. You can go to amazon.com and get a lot of great blurays for 10-15$ each. I think I paid 8.99 for Inside Man from Amazon

Some no-brainers as far as I'm concerned would be: Avatar, Troy, 300, Sin City, Iron Man, The Departed, Lucky Number Slevin, American History X, Fight Club, Batman Begins, Minority Report, Zombieland, Shaun of the Dead.

I got FACE/OFF for 10$ at best buy and I think they did a good job with that transfer.

Volcasarus ReX
Apr 1, 2010

Bambi posted:

Most videophiles would actually dispute this. While it isn't "one of the worst transfers ever" as many claim, it's definitely one of the worst transfers that's widely held to be a good one. The Dark Knight on Blu-Ray is average at best. The scenes filmed with IMAX cameras are absolutely jaw-dropping, but everything else is rather soft and plagued by ostensible digital noise reduction and edge enhancement. It's like Gladiator in that you can really see the difference between the few great-looking shots and everything else when it transitions back and forth between them, and once you see it you can't unsee it.

Plenty of people will tell you that it looks fine to their eyes, and that's great, more power to them - I wish everything always looked perfect to me too and I never had any complaints about anything either. But it's kind of impossible to argue that this is how TDK is supposed to look. This guy explains it more succinctly than I can:

See I know it's not the best transfer, however I love that movie so much that I prefer to ignore this fact. I don't want anything to ruin that movie for me. It's kinda like the new Star Trek with lens flare effects, it's completely over used in the movie and can be distracting in some scenes but I love the movie too much to notice.

Volcasarus ReX
Apr 1, 2010

So this is somewhat Bluray related...

I was just reading that there are nearly 60 3D movies planned to be released in the next two years. I find this to be really sad. There is a joke going around online that says "if you can't make it good, make it 3D", I completely agree with this statement. It seems like the whole 3D fad is getting out of control, and every time you turn around there is another crap movie going 3D just to try and make some more money.

I would not buy into the whole 3D TV and Bluray player until they are much more affordable and can handle both 2D and 3D content with the same great quality. The players are not that bad as far as pricing goes but I'm not going to drop another 1000-1500 just for a tv so that I can maybe watch one thing in 3D a month.

As far as I know the 3D blus are not that much more expensive then regular blurays, if at all. However, would you really want to have 60+ 3D titles. I know for a fact that with some movies the 3D effect makes them much worse, looking at you clash of the titans.

Has anyone in here bought into the home 3D theater yet?

Volcasarus ReX
Apr 1, 2010

Bambi posted:

The Scream Trilogy is coming out this coming Tuesday in Canada. It's 1080i with no extras as is the custom with Alliance, but considering we're not likely to get it in the United States for a long-rear end time, it may be worth importing (CDPlus.com has it for a mere $25). They'll be a step up from the DVD's no matter what.

Since they are currently working on Scream 4 I would wait until after that comes out and see if they release a box set.

Volcasarus ReX
Apr 1, 2010

Sporadic posted:

This one is back. I guess it's either going to be the permanent price or it is a temporary thing.

Reminds me of my friends. Everything I start a movie with them, one of them will go out for drinks/popcorn. "No, don't pause the movie I'll be right". You'll miss the movie and than ask us what is going on. I have to pause it. Why didn't you get that stuff before we turned it on? :argh:

I'm the same way with my best friend. Whenever we watch a movie he will do everything but actually watch the movie. I can't stand watching things with him because I can just see him out of the corner of my eye playing on his phone the entire time. If he's not playing on his phone he is constantly getting up to get food/drink or use the bathroom.

It's probably a little crazy on my part, but I find it to be somewhat very disrespectful. I just like movies to much :(

Volcasarus ReX
Apr 1, 2010

RichterIX posted:

The remastered one has a big black and gold border around the cover art. And when I say big I mean it's like 50% black border

What version is the good one? The Remastered?

Volcasarus ReX
Apr 1, 2010

Red posted:

I decided to stick with Kick-rear end and pick up ASM in the future. But holy hell, Best Buy puts their price stickers on the cardboard sleeves - sleeves that I don't throw away. The gummy crap left on the sleeve is loving IRRITATING. Thankfully, a careful touch, a damp paper towel and some scotch tape clean it off in a few minutes.

Why would you even consider getting rid of Kick rear end? That movie is great/the bluray is great/ and the bonus features are great.

Also the only thing I hate about best buy is the fact that the put the stickers on the slipcovers. It really doesn't make sense to me. Normally I can get them off completely clean with no issues but every now and again there is that one that gets all jacked up.

Volcasarus ReX
Apr 1, 2010

I said come in! posted:

And I don't understand why they are including episodes 1 - 3 in the package. No one wants that poo poo.

I do :(

You might as well get all six movies.

Volcasarus ReX
Apr 1, 2010

Ein Bear posted:

I kind of want to see the prequels in HD... I'm morbidly curious to see how lovely all that CGI will look.

I didn't really hate the prequels so I wouldn't have any issue with them sitting on my shelf.

My philosophy on movies is they are supposed to entertain you for however long they are. I really can't stand how people act all high and mighty now and can't just enjoy a movie for what it is. Not every movie has to have some deep life changing meaning to it. Sometimes explosions are just cool!

Although I don't like every movie I watch I never really see the point in whinning about it on a forum (no offense to those that do), it's not like the directors or any of the actors really care about what Nate from Frederick Md thinks of their movie anyways.

Sometimes I think some people just need to shut up and watch the drat movie and not complain about stupid things. Hence the fact I'm now going to shut up ;)

Volcasarus ReX
Apr 1, 2010

El Jackalope posted:

But the most recent movies are crap. I don't want them.

Edit: I am willing to buy the drat Alien set which has 2 movies I won't bother watching, but I can't really justify buying SW Eps 1-3.

Like someone said earlier you will probably have to wait another five years for Lucas to release just the original trilogy on blu. I like the idea below of just giving them to someone. Maybe you have a friend that is thinking of adopting the format and you can look like a great friend by giving him 3 FREE blurays.

Also I went and saw Scott Pilgrim today, and I'm really looking forward to that bluray release. I think if they do the bonus features right there is a lot of good material from the movie for a more in depth behind the scenes look.

Volcasarus ReX
Apr 1, 2010

Death's Head posted:

Its a real shame that the person who created that doesn't allow downloads because some of his custom covers are excellent.
http://gallery.me.com/graphicman.yyc

I'm not a hundred percent sure on this, but I believe that on the bluray.com forums people were saying there is a site where that guy and some others upload the custom covers, and you just buy tokens(?) from the site and then different covers cost a different amount to download for printing.

I'm like 90% sure that's what he said but I don't remember seeing a link or anything to the site. Could always PM him on bluray.com

Volcasarus ReX
Apr 1, 2010

Death's Head posted:

I saw that site, you can easily find the sites where you can get his work just by googling for his username - bpmford. I can understand why he has removed general access to his covers because they get plastered across custom cover sites where you have to donate to download them. If other people are making money from his work then he should too. His requirements for sending them via PM are being a member of Blu-Ray.com for over 6 months and being a friend or a friend of a friend.

I have seen him around on the forums there but don't really send anyone friend request. I'm sure he probably doesn't approve all of them.

I like to have nice looking covers on blurays but I don't ever really see myself downloading custom covers and switching them all out. Too much work for me, that's valuable time I can spend watching the movies.

Volcasarus ReX
Apr 1, 2010

Harlock posted:

Is the $10 movie cash the only difference?

I was curious as well as to why they are re-releasing all of these comedies again. Role Models and Funny People have not even been out long enough to justify two bluray releases.

Volcasarus ReX
Apr 1, 2010

doctor thodt posted:

Nope, France is the only place it's been released as far as I know. It's the movie that finally pushed me over the edge to go region free, and boy do I not regret it for a second.

Spartacus: Blood and Sand Season 1 is $35 at Wal-Mart and Fry's. If you haven't ordered it from Amazon yet and don't feel like waiting for them to ship you a copy (and really, you shouldn't wait), run out and grab it. Great release.

Did you pick up Spartacus yet? If so what color is the stripe at the top of the slipcover? I got my copy from Best Buy and it's yellow instead of blu with a gold bluray logo that you can almost barely see. I'm just curious cause all of the pictures and reviews I saw online displayed a different box color scheme.

Volcasarus ReX
Apr 1, 2010

qbert posted:

Got mine from Amazon and it is also gold along the top, not blue.

Ok, guess they must have changed it before shipping it out. Another quick question about it though, does anyone know if Best Buy price matches with Wal-mart. It's only 10$ difference so I'm not to worried about it but it would be nice to get 10 back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volcasarus ReX
Apr 1, 2010

Silber posted:

Too bad about the Scott Pilgrim cover, I was hoping for the one with just Cera with the guitar and the red background. .

I would prefer the cover to be the same as the movie poster, but I'm not that worried about it since i have noticed a lot of movies doing different covers for movies based on what version you buy.

For example, Iron Man 2 has different covers for the Bluray+DVD+Digital Copy, Just the Bluray, and just the DVD, plus the Target exclusive.

I hardly ever watch or redeem the digital copies so I would probably just pick up the bluray only Scott Pilgrim.

• Locked thread