Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Volcasarus ReX
Apr 1, 2010

Has anyone started watching the Spartacus Blood and Sand blus yet? I'm seeing some serious lip sync issues on the first disc. Anyone else getting that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volcasarus ReX
Apr 1, 2010

doctor thodt posted:

Nope. Got the latest firmware for your player?

I updated two months ago but haven't checked recently, normally it just tells me as soon as I turn it on. It's not anything completely off, but it is noticeable if you are looking at their mouths.

Volcasarus ReX
Apr 1, 2010

I'm posting this again so apologies in advanced.

For the Lip Sync issue I'm seeing on Spartacus Blood and Sand, my player does have the latest firmware so I don't think that's the issue. If anyone plans to watch this soon can you let me know if you see some issues with it as well,

One scene that comes to mind is when Doctore is confronting Naevia (sp?) about Barca's freedom. If you watch Doctore's mouth look for his lips not matching on words that have accented B's and such. It's not extremely off but it is noticeable.

I'm well within my return period so if it's just my copy I'll take it back and exchange it.

Again sorry for reposting this.

Volcasarus ReX
Apr 1, 2010

SpaceAceJase posted:

You could always ask them to check it at the store when you go to return it. :)

Best buy is always great when it comes to returning stuff, but if i don't have to i'm not going to return it. I can honestly deal with the sync issue since it's not severe, but the curious side of me would like to know if it's an actual issue on others disk.

Volcasarus ReX
Apr 1, 2010

I'm a little proud of myself for resisting the urge to buy a bunch of blus on Black Friday, I really need to be saving money right now and it was a hard day with so many good deals going on.

Volcasarus ReX
Apr 1, 2010

I watched inception tonight, and I had some serious sync issues. Like ellen's dialogue playing while dicaprio's mouth was moving. Luckily there was an update for my player as soon as I checked, I thought it was going go be like avatar all over again and have to wait a few weeks.

Volcasarus ReX
Apr 1, 2010

Ok, I updated my bluray player and watched inception again tonight, still getting skips in the video and audio. Has anyone else had this issue?

Volcasarus ReX
Apr 1, 2010

Neon Bible posted:

Every now and then the audio stops for one second and isn't in sync with the picture anymore. Pressing Pause and Play and the audio and video syncs up again.

I have to say my player (LG BD350) seems to have quite a lot of problems with blu-rays from Warner, though.

On the bluray.com forums it was pointed out that it seems to just be LG players and a few samsung players. I'll probably exchange the disk even though it's not always skipping in the same spots.

Volcasarus ReX
Apr 1, 2010

If anyone comes here looking for an answer, LG did get back to me and they are working on a firmware update for the Inception blu

Volcasarus ReX
Apr 1, 2010

FateoMcSkippy posted:

I'm surprised Avatar doesn't hold that award. People cream themselves over that movie.

As far as I know it was fairly common knowledge that they were planning on doing the re-release near Christmas time hence the bare bones first bluray release. Most people probably decided to wait for the new one that is out now.

And then half the people that already bought the first release in April probably don't feel like double dipping. I knew I was going to double dip on it but most people probably wouldn't do that. Excluding people in this thread the common shopper isn't going to buy the same movie twice.

Volcasarus ReX
Apr 1, 2010

sportsgenius86 posted:

Fear was a campy average movie and Petersen loving owned it

Fear was an awesome movie! At least when I was 11

Volcasarus ReX
Apr 1, 2010

I just finished watching BURIED and it is by far one of the best movies of 2010. Just checked bluray.com and it comes out on 1/18. I'm super excited to own this movie. Hopefully the quality of the blu delivers.

Volcasarus ReX fucked around with this message at 10:42 on Dec 25, 2010

Volcasarus ReX
Apr 1, 2010

Sirotan posted:

So if this was mentioned maybe I glossed over it, but is there any other release of Inception on the horizon? Because I got a copy for Christmas and watched it last night and the extras are really really really terrible. I was hoping for some sort of making-of features and the like and instead I got a boring documentary about dreams and some lovely 'prequel' in animated comic book form.

From what I have heard Nolan really likes his movies to stand on their own. He doesn't really like to put tons of bonus content on the disk. I guess he wants his fans to buy the films because you love his movies and not because it comes with some cool behind the scenes stuff.

I think it's just similar to his distaste for heavily CG movies.

As far as slipcovers go, if I'm buying a movie that comes with them I'll always pick that version up cause some of them are really nice, but if it doesn't have a slipcover it's no big deal. I do group them together though on my shelf so that it looks more uniform. Slips with Slips and nons with nons.

Volcasarus ReX
Apr 1, 2010

Tony Danza Claus posted:

I throw out some of the slipcovers because Best Buy and Walmart use crazy glue on their stickers.

Are the Bluray Nazis going to throw me in Dischau for not going to a different store to get an immaculate slipcover?

:ohdear:

I think it depends on the slipcovers themselves. I have had ones that it takes forever to get all of the stickers off and others just come completely off in one smooth pull. I still don't understand the reasoning behind putting stickers on the slips to begin with. I don't need 4 different things telling me the Blu cost 24.99$

Volcasarus ReX
Apr 1, 2010

If you guys hate slips on blus so much you should be thrilled to know that they are starting to put them on Video Games as well now. My friend bought Dante's Inferno for the PS3 and it had a slip and my Fallout: New Vegas for the 360 has a slip.

Looks like they are not going away anytime soon.

Volcasarus ReX
Apr 1, 2010

Euphoriaphone posted:

I noticed a few years ago almost every game I bought had a slip cover. I think it was a Microsoft thing. Now I don't see them very often. I always throw them out because they are invariably damaged in someway.

Yeah it seems to be off and on, the two games I mentioned are the only recent games I can think of that actually had a slipcover. It just seems like the market is going to become flooded with them before they actually start to disappear.

It's also a little curious how all the companies redesigned the actual boxes to use less plastic, and therefore be more eco-freindly but yet they all seem to want to put this extra layer of cardboard that doesn't really serve any purpose.

Volcasarus ReX
Apr 1, 2010

The Lucas posted:

How are Anchor Bay's Blus, I haven't had much experience with them.

Sucks that Sony is being dropped, they do great work.

The only one I can think of off the top of my head is Season 1 of Spartacus: Blood and Sand. I think the quality is very good, I would say it's on par with most other recent releases.

Volcasarus ReX
Apr 1, 2010

On bluray.com they have the Canada version of Running Scared, any idea if there is a US version and if the quality is acceptable. The one listed on amazon didn't specify, that I noticed.

Volcasarus ReX
Apr 1, 2010

Got a question for you nerds.

My friend uses his PS3 as his main bluray player, and ever since the 3D blu update they did he can't get Sunshine to play without it forcing the picture within picture viewing mode. Has anyone else that uses the PS3 encountered this issue? Any possible work solution?

Volcasarus ReX
Apr 1, 2010

frumpsnake posted:

It's been covered a few times in this thread. You need to contact Fox on 888-223-4369 for a replacement disc.

Thank you
I stopped participating in this thread for a bit and had something like 300+ new post to go look at. Thanks for the quick response.

Volcasarus ReX
Apr 1, 2010

I like the "how to spot a walker" insert in The Walking Dead blu. I don't normally look at the inserts when opening the movie and for some reason I just glanced at that one and was surprised. Kinda makes me wonder what others I might have missed.

Volcasarus ReX
Apr 1, 2010

I did my first blind buy on a blu tonight and it may have been a mistake. It was the Dead Space 2 Aftermath blu and I figured I would like it since I'm a huge fan of that series. When I got home I looked up the review on Bluray.com and it wasn't very good at all. Apparently some fairly jagged edges and such. IGN was a little more accepting of the blu.

I haven't watched it yet, but I think I may have kinda wasted 25$

Volcasarus ReX
Apr 1, 2010

Harlock posted:

As long as you saw how much it sucked before you opened it. Return that poo poo so fast.

Opened before I saw the review :( The screen shots on other sites look similar to the first movie's blu release and it seems like bluray.com used mostly the full CGI parts and not the animated ones. Maybe the CGI parts are just a lot worse then the animated. I wasn't expecting it to be amazing quality but I was hoping for decent.

I don't normally do blind buys and if anything this will just teach me a good lesson.

Volcasarus ReX
Apr 1, 2010

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Also the Dead Space 2 anime is complete and utter poo poo so you did bad all round :(

I'm not an anime fan so that doesn't bother me.

Volcasarus ReX
Apr 1, 2010

I've discovered something that really bothers me about buying blus from a large chain (i.e. Best Buy).... Regardless of how long the movie has been out on bluray it never goes down in price. Yes they do sales that lower the price for a limited time, however it's not the same procedures that you would see with say a video game.

When a video game comes out they may have a special sale for the first week or so that it's out (similar to what they do with blurays) then after it goes back up to it's normal price until the next sell, however after a certain amount of time the game goes down in price even when it's not on sale.

Why do Blus not depreciate over time? It doesn't make any sense that Smoking Aces is still 24.99 at Best Buy when it has been out on Blu for at least two years. Shooter is still 24.99 at BB, which if I remember correctly is one of the first blus to come out. Yet the price is still near release value.

I get that they want you to check their weekly ad for all the best prices, but the fact is if they would mark down blus as they should be, based on time, I would be more inclined to go in there and spend 100-125 every few months or so on blus then only buying one or two that are part of the weekly sale.

Am I the only one that finds this practice to be frustrating? I know the simple solution is to buy from Amazon, but sometimes I don't like to wait.

Volcasarus ReX
Apr 1, 2010

Magic Hate Ball posted:

The people who buy Blu-Rays from Best Buy probably don't know or care that they could usually get them on Amazon for way cheaper, just so long as they can buy it now and watch it in thirty minutes.

edit: wow that sounds kind of pompous, if it helps I know at least five people who do this. Paying twice over the Amazon price is like a little premium for owning it immediately.

Best Buy is ok for new releases or when they do have sales (sometimes you can get things cheaper there than amazon). It's just back catalog stuff that is dumb. Like if you wanted Due Date last week you could get the 3 disc combo for 15$ on blu, but if you wanted the single disc edition of Shooter it's 25$. For things like that I totally support amazon.

I just wish that chain retailers would use the same pricing platform for all entertainment media.

Plus the reward zone program is amazing if you also have the gamers club.

Volcasarus ReX
Apr 1, 2010

Captain Charisma posted:

The idea that Blu-Rays stay static in price whereas video games go down is laughable, especially at Best Buy. You can usually find a ton of Blu-Rays at $10-15 there, whereas video games is such a loving racket that you'll be looking at $50-60 for most games even a year after release, and forget about getting below $55 or so during release week.

They mark down games all the time, I got Fallout New Vegas for 35 around Black friday and they marked Crysis 2 and Homefront down to 49.99 last week. The only games that stay high are the ones that everyone and their mother buys (i.e. Call of duty games)

I do need to sign up for Amazon Prime and I have just been waiting for a few friends to go in with me. No offense to SA at all, but I would prefer to do it with people I see on a regular basis. The shipping right now is the main reason I don't buy from Amazon more.

Volcasarus ReX
Apr 1, 2010

Captain Charisma posted:

So your examples are Black Friday, a day in which every kind of product is marked down, and a $50 price point, which isn't that great a price at all, and something I explicitly mentioned in my post.

No I see sales all the time that I don't really take advantage of because I'm not into those games. I just mentioned the two I did because I remember specifically buying those while they were on sale. And games get marked down all the time without actually being tied to any sale. For example, Dante's Inferno (released 2/3/2010) cost 19.99$ New. Shooter on Bluray (released 7/31/2007) cost 24.99 New.

The point I was making is that Video Games go down in price depending on how long the game has been out ( and even more so if a sequel is being/has been released). This doesn't happen with Blus, and sometimes I find it slightly annoying. A movie that was released on bluray 4-5 years ago shouldn't cost the same amount, or more than a more recent release.

I'm not trying to start a huge fight about it, It's just something I noticed that annoys me. I spend a lot of time (more than I should) checking prices of blus and video games, and after awhile you notice a trend that doesn't really make that much sense.

Volcasarus ReX
Apr 1, 2010

DFu4ever posted:

Do you feel this way about books? Music?

Your argument doesn't really work with either of those either. Games have a very limited retail lifetime due to their very nature. They are challenges, and video game based challenges do not stay perfectly static for long and maintain interest. Re-playability of games is a different concept than re-watching movies, or listening to a CD, or reading a book again. The lifetimes of movies, CDs, and books are unlimited and their popularity is unaffected by technology or format changes.

Games are diminished in most cases by the very advancement that makes them popular as challenges, and not to mention the simple fact that many are outdated by just beating them. Very few games can break out of this mold.

Your argument just doesn't hold water as you are trying to compare apples and oranges.

I thought about that, but then I started thinking of the difference in the markets being mostly digital distribution. For the most part it seems like most people buy music/books via some sort of digital retailer. I can see your point and it is a valid one, but when I look around my area and see bookstore after bookstore going out of business and see that most people download their music from iTunes or Amazon.com it doesn't really seem like the same thing to me.

In my opinion CD's on iTunes are already a fairly great price, and it seems like some Corporations have adjusted their CD prices to more closely match, or perhaps that I just listen to less than popular music that the CDs don't cost as much to begin with.

To me it just seems like the Movie and Video game market should be ran some what similar. Eventually everything will probably be digital distribution (which will make me angry) and everything will always stay the same price forever. And I think for some movies you can kinda make the same argument that once you've seen it, the movies losses all "replay value", but that's all personal taste and what not.

I still think you have a very valid point, but I rarely buy books and when I do it's on my iPad and most of my music is digital distribution also, so it just didn't seem the same to me.

Your point was taken though.

Volcasarus ReX fucked around with this message at 09:43 on Apr 15, 2011

Volcasarus ReX
Apr 1, 2010

Did anyone see I AM Number Four?

It comes out on the 24th and I was thinking of blind buying it. I saw the rotten tomatoes reviews, but sometimes things that they list as lower are not really that bad. I think some critics critique some things that are really not a big deal.

Volcasarus ReX
Apr 1, 2010

GonSmithe posted:

You're... kidding, right? That movie looked like absolute horse poo poo, and was reviewed as such.

Nope, not kidding. It got a 31 review, which I know is not that great, but it's really not anywhere close to a lot of other movies they give bad reviews to and tons of people still watch/like.

I'm not going to blind buy it for 30$ or something but if there is a B0G0 deal or it's only 10 or 15$ then I might pick it up. Sometimes I completely agree with the reviews and sometimes I think they are being to picky. I need to see it though to make a decision.

Priest got a 20 if any one thought that looked awesome. I just like to still see the movies and form my own opinion of them. Especially if they are cheap, cause sometimes Netflix takes forever to get newer movies.

Volcasarus ReX
Apr 1, 2010

GonSmithe posted:

No one did. They thought it looked like a pile of poo poo.

Your taste seems to be quite the opposite of "everyone else." I'm sure you'll love I Am Number Four and Priest.

Actually I also think priest is a horrible looking movie. It was more of an example of even though number four isn't that great there is always something worse.

You should totally be a film critic though but only do really simple vague reviews. Like it's a piece of poo poo, or if you actually liked something you could say...meh, it's tolerable

Volcasarus ReX
Apr 1, 2010

Skwirl posted:

I understand that rottentomatoes isn't the be all to end all of movie ratings, and there is plenty of stuff that didn't get a "fresh" rating that I love (The Fast and The Furious comes to mind), but what movie do you love, or even just like, that has a less than 31 on RT?

I don't know, you can't really search for movies based on rating as far as I know. There are some I think should be higher for sure. For example Snatch is a 72, that should at least be in the upper eighties if not higher.

Volcasarus ReX
Apr 1, 2010

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

Your question made me think, so I did a quick perusal of movies on RT with a rating in their 20's and these are what I came up with:

edit: just for fun, here's the link to search the films in their 20's

They were some in the twenties and thirties that I wouldn't consider bad movies., I know for a fact a lot of blu enthusiast have fantastic four and that has a lower score than number four so.....

Volcasarus ReX
Apr 1, 2010

sethsez posted:

I don't think anybody here said anything good about Fantastic Four. :psyduck:

Didn't say they did, but I know a lot of people on the bluray.com forums have it in there collection.

Like I said I'm not going to buy it at 30$ but if I see it for like 10$ does anyone think it's worth 10..... Keep in mind that's just slightly more expensive than a burrito from Chipotle.

Volcasarus ReX
Apr 1, 2010

Steve Yun posted:

Lemme just settle this once and for all and say no, it is not worth a Chipotle burrito.

Nice one sir, maybe I'll talk one of my other friends into buying it so I can watch it.

And I do kinda want to get all of the fast and furious movies for the select ones that are decent, but I'm waiting for the box set that will probably be out some day.

And gonsmithe I bet if we compared favorite movies we would have similar ones. I just like to give ones that are less than favorable a chance before completely writing them off.

Volcasarus ReX
Apr 1, 2010

^^^^ I don't go on there very often. Mostly when I'm just really bored at work and to check the calendar^^^^^

Koruthaiolos posted:

Why not spend a dollar and get it from Redbox?

I didn't realize redbox was also carrying blus now. I should have thought of that since I read two weeks ago they were going to start game rentals in June, makes since to do bluray movies if you are going to be renting out bluray games.

Volcasarus ReX
Apr 1, 2010

Did anyone see Trust? It was with Clive Owen and came out in 2010. It's coming out on bluray in July, if I remember correctly, and I thought it looked good from the trailer. RT gave it a 69 which isn't to bad I guess.

Any GOON opinions on the movie?

Volcasarus ReX
Apr 1, 2010

I'm thinking of upgrading my bluray player. Any thoughts on the Denon DBP-1611UD? Or any other great players that are slightly less. I was mostly looking at that Denon or an Oppo, but I'm not 100% sure I want to spend that much money. I know in the long run it won't bother me.

Right now I'm using a LG BD370 that I got a couple christmases ago. So there's lots of room for improvement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volcasarus ReX
Apr 1, 2010

fenix down posted:

Should I get the digital copy of Jurassic Park from ebayers who bought the set, or just wait til the standalone BR of JP1 comes out? (I have never seen a digital copy film)

I would just wait for the standalone. I mean you have already waited this long so what's a few more months?

• Locked thread