Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Criminal Minded posted:

I was at Wal-Mart today checking to see if they had Alien Anthology in stores, and saw it on shelves. How many people do you think will accidentally buy the DVD instead of the blu-ray because of the blue Facebook logo taking up the top of the case?

That's not the reason he's saying that. The reason he's saying that is because it's not a slipcover, it's a "slip-piece-of-cardboard-with-no-bottom-that-folds-open."

Click here for the full 640x480 image.

And yes, as someone who likes slipcovers, and especially likes the cover that is on the cardboard (even though I LOVE the Criterion-esque packaging), it is very annoying that they couldn't just make it a slipcover.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Criminal Minded posted:

Haha, what is that poo poo.

And yeah, I know, I just wanted to make that observation because I didn't realize I was holding a DVD copy when I picked it up because of that blue strip for the facebook logo.

Ah, alright. I got it off Amazon, so I didn't need to go into the store to figure that out for myself.

Are the DVD an Blu-ray covers really the exact same, sans sticker that says "HIGH DEFINTION HERP DERP?"

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

FitFortDanga posted:

Alice in Wonderland (100% futterwhacken-free)

Holy sweet Jesus that looks loving beautiful.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Space_Butler posted:

According to posters on blu-ray.com, some Canadian retailers have it in their systems that Tron and Tron Legacy will be released in their various configurations on April 5. God, do I love the turnaround time on Disney releases.

Also according to this the price for the big pack, which includes TRON: Legacy 3D, TRON: Legacy, and TRON (with DVDs of both of them and a digital copy), is going to be $66.73 or so on Amazon, which is the price of buying the two blu-rays (+DVD) separately. So you're getting a 3D blu-ray and a digital copy for free, essentially.

It's pretty nice I guess, since who knows, I might get a 3D TV in the future.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Red posted:

Encouraging people to take advantage of such programs is what gets them shut down, or never started in the first place.

It doesn't work anyway. Someone on the blu-ray forums said that it happened with Gladiator. He called about the program, he gave his info, they said they'd contact him in 1-2 weeks. They called him again in 1-2 weeks and asked him specific information like what is on the blu-ray case. Then, when he got the disc, it had something say where to send his old copy to.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

sportsgenius86 posted:

Fantasia/Fantasia 2000

Fuuuuu...

Guess I need to finally get around to buying this, then. Thanks for the update.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Harlock posted:

So I guess that's all but confirmation the only way to get the original is to buy the 5-disc set?

Well, according to Amazon.ca, they WILL be releasing it by itself, but, there's no US confirmation for that yet.

Either way, jesus christ I hope that ultimate edition isn't TOO much. I'm buying it even if it is, but gently caress.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

frumpsnake posted:

Lionsgate's Memento reviewed

You have no idea how happy this makes me.
I am so happy that they actually made this good this time, and for such a cheap price. Fantastic.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

So I blind bought Summer Wars on blu-ray the other day, and I'm gonna watch it soon. I have high hopes, it looked really interesting, and pretty beautiful from the screenshots I saw. I'm excited. I'll come back after I'm done with a report.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

zenintrude posted:

Jackass 3(no D) reviewed: http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Jackass-3-Blu-ray/19576/#Review

Another example of "Why the gently caress do you let someone review a movie who already hates the concept?" Would you let someone who hates horror movies review the newest Saw release? No... it doesn't make any loving sense.

Yeah, blu-ray.com is complete poo poo for movie ratings. I absolutely never, ever care what they say about a movie, because when someone gives Jackass 3D a 1 and Cats and Dogs 2 a 3 (yes, I understand people don't like Jackass, but, you understand my point), there's no point in reading their reviews on the actual movie.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Paul_Klein posted:

They gave Jackass 3 a 2.5/5 not a 1/5 (?)

What I don't understand is how they gave the Dungeons & Dragons 2-pack a 2.5/5 when he basically blasted everything about the films, the transfer, and even many of the extras. His review read like a 1 or 1.5 tops.

But my understanding with blu-ray.com is, while they discuss the films fairly in-depth, the reviews and scores themselves are based entirely on the blu-ray presentation, not the film itself.
They changed it. It was a 1 when it was originally uploaded.
But yes, blu-ray.com is wonderful for actually talking about the picture/audio and not letting if they like the movie or not change that.

It's still dumb that they have a review section though and give movies to people who do not like the genre.

edit- Wait you think I'm talking about overall. I'm not, I'm talking about their "Movie" category.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

FitFortDanga posted:

Twilight Zone season 4, May 17th. They are really cranking those out.

Too. Fast. I don't have time to get enough money to buy all of them and the other blu-rays I want. :sigh:

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Skwirl posted:

Are there reviews of the FLCL blu-ray yet, has anyone seen it yet? Basically, is there a reason to get the Blu over the DVD? I kind of want it, but my limited understanding of late 90's early 2000's anime makes me think they only have SD digital material to work from, so there is a limit to what they can do with blu over dvd.

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/FLCL-Complete-Collection-Blu-ray/18022/#Review

The consensus is that while it could look much better, this is the best it ever will, and it's still an upgrade from the DVD.

Also, apparently 127 Hours is reference quality, which is nice, because I love the movie.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

hitze posted:

This is pretty weird. The Tron Legacy blu-ray has aspect ratio changes for no apparent reason since it wasn't shot in IMAX.

Where'd these screenshots come from?

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

doctor thodt posted:

Yeah. Same as the US release except Oldboy has lossless audio on the Canadian one.

All the Right Moves 5/3
Taps 5/3
Twelve O'Clock High 5/3
Beverly Hills Cop 5/10
Le Mans 5/10
Biutful 5/31
Apt Pupil 6/7
Johnny Mnemonic 6/14
Cowboy Bebop: The Movie 6/28

Holy poo poo, what rear end in a top hat got rid of your avatar. It's so weird not seeing those two guns pointing at me. :<

Cowboy Bebop: The Movie on blu-ray though? Holy poo poo I hope they do a good transfer, I love the poo poo out of that movie.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Oh my lord. I absolutely refuse to believe those are screenshots from a blu-ray. Absolutely refuse.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Criminal Minded posted:

:aaa: :supaburn: :tviv:

gently caress yes.

Yeah, I read this the other day. I'm honestly contemplating paying a $50 round-trip bus ticket home from college just so I can go to the theater near my house and see it.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

FitFortDanga posted:

Here is a proper review of Ten Commandments.

Yep. Okay, sorry I said anything bad Paramount, this is absolutely breathtaking and I am buying it the second I get some money.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Honest Thief posted:

A 5 star rating? It's a lot better than those previous shots posted, but some of the screens there look bad.

Which ones?
Do note that you should not be equating how the movie looks and how the quality of the movie looks. Some effects from back then are obviously not going to look good in 1080p.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Honest Thief posted:

The worse I've seen would probably be this one http://images.blu-ray.com/reviews/4001_13_large.jpg I could be misremembering how it looked when I first saw it and the black edges being there originally because the movie is more than 50 years old.

Yeah, I figured you were talking about this, and once again, it should not be equated into how the picture quality of the blu-ray looks. Blue screen effects from the 50s, especially rushed ones, will not look good in 1080p. That is not the tranfer's fault.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

bradzilla posted:

I've never seen Taxi Driver, but that review is making it mighty tempting to blind-buy.

Blind buy the poo poo out of it. It's $13, an amazing movie, and now apparently a loving amazing transfer.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Speaking of TRON, here's the blu-ray review for Legacy:
http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/TRON-Legacy-Blu-ray/18434/#Review

Looks pretty god drat fantastic. Glad I loved the movie, because I would hate not to have such a nice-looking transfer as part of my collection.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

I really don't understand blu-ray.com's review of TRON:
http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Tron-Blu-ray/10546/#Review

He goes on and on about just how faithful it is (acting as if it's a bad thing?) and then gives it a 4.0 for quality.
Yes, the movie is incredibly dated. Yes, it looks funny and silly nowadays. If the blu-ray takes that, and makes it look the best it can, is it not doing its job completely? The quality of the effects in the movie should not effect the way in which the video quality is graded.

I'd much rather have this perfect transfer of TRON than some DNR'd Frankenstein's monster of a blu-ray.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Not that anyone will particularly care, but:
According to Amazon, the first Pokemon movies on blu-ray will be released May 15th.
The prints aren't going to be DVD upscales but actually use the HD Japanese prints in which all the Pokemon movies are filmed.

The first is a combo pack of the Latias/Latios movie and Destiny Deoxys (the first straight-to-DVD movie in America).

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Can someone post the packaging for Taxi Driver? I didn't get it yet (I'm getting my paycheck next week, don't shoot me!), but I'd really like to see it.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Nate RFB posted:

This could probably go into SHSC, but I figured I'd ask here first...

Do any of you watch your BDs on a PC? Previously I had watched everything on my PS3, but it would be nice to have Blu-ray functionality on my PC. So knowing that my video card and monitor were HDCP-compliant, I got a blu-ray drive and am trying out the ArcSoft TotalMedia Theatre 5 demo.

Only, I don't know, it gets kind of choppy every 5 minutes. I assume it's somehow my hardware, but wanted to rule out TMT first at least.

I watch blu-rays with my laptop. I forget what specific drive I have, but, I have an HD graphics card, a 1080p monitor, and I use PowerDVD 10. It works absolutely fine. The only problem I've ever had is needing to update in order to watch the Avatar special edition blu-ray. Well, there's also this thing PowerDVD (or maybe it's my drive, not sure) does that when you pause a movie, if it's for more than like 1 minute, then hit play again, it will play for about 3 seconds, freeze up, then start again.

Also, using PowerDVD 10 turns off Windows Aero, and puts it in basic mode, but that's not really a problem.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

sportsgenius86 posted:

Alien Anthology Amazon UK - $33 shipped to US

This is region free and an absolutely ridiculous deal.

I'm glad I got this for Christmas and didn't have to rage at the fact I would have payed 2.5x as much for it.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

I know this isn't the sales thread, but I figured I'd mention it here:

Amazon is having a Criterion sale on specific Criterions, listed here.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Space_Butler posted:

Digital Bits announced that Twilight Zone: Season 5 is set for an 8/30 release, and that his industry sources are telling him the Marx Brothers movies on blu-ray ARE in the works. More here: http://thedigitalbits.com/#mytwocents

Edit: He also notes that the upcoming American Graffiti release had its transfer and restoration overseen by George Lucas, so hopefully that means it's not the usual half-assed Universal release. If the release is as great as it's sounding, it will probably be the first truly great thing George Lucas has done in well over a decade.
Oh god. :qq: The Twilight Zone seasons need to stop coming out so drat fast, I can't get the money to buy them so quickly.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Myrddin_Emrys posted:

As a guy who has recently entered the world of HD and Blu-Ray and left wanting more after the glorious looking Tron Legacy, I am looking for advice and great looking movies to watch that take full advantage of what blu-ray has to offer.

A question though, older movies that are been sold on blu-ray, what do they they actually do to make them HD when they obviously were not filmed in that format, and do they actually look good?

Blu-ray literally makes black and white shows/movies the sexiest things on earth. What they do is they take the originals, and clean them up with different mastering techniques. I don't know much about this, so I won't say further than that. But here, have some examples of older films that are stunningly beautiful on blu-ray:

Twilight Zone Season 1

The Evil Dead

Taxi Driver

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

Seconding this, and nice replies so far. Really looking forward to see which other films really get the most from Blu Ray. Adding Taxi Driver and Dr. Strangelove on my to-buy list.

I'd also recommend buying the Alien Anthology (buy it from Amazon UK if you buy it, it's so overpriced in the US), or the individual Alien and Aleins releases that just came out if you don't want all the amazing making-of footage, because those films look unbelievably good on blu-ray.

Also of note is Avatar, if you like the movie.

Se7en (the new digibook/non-digibook-that-just-got-released, not the original release) also looks freaking fantastic, and is one of the highlights of my collection so far:

Fantastic Mr. Fox looks fantastic:

You also can't go wrong with any PIXAR movies:

GonSmithe fucked around with this message at 03:19 on May 15, 2011

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Volcasarus ReX posted:

Did anyone see I AM Number Four?

It comes out on the 24th and I was thinking of blind buying it. I saw the rotten tomatoes reviews, but sometimes things that they list as lower are not really that bad. I think some critics critique some things that are really not a big deal.

You're... kidding, right? That movie looked like absolute horse poo poo, and was reviewed as such.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Volcasarus ReX posted:

Priest got a 20 if any one thought that looked awesome.

No one did. They thought it looked like a pile of poo poo.

Your taste seems to be quite the opposite of "everyone else." I'm sure you'll love I Am Number Four and Priest.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Volcasarus ReX posted:

Didn't say they did, but I know a lot of people on the bluray.com forums have it in there collection.

These same people will also say that the DNR in the Predator re-release makes it look leaps and bounds better, and that The Evil Dead is an awful release because of how grainy it is.

And let's not begin to talk about slipcovers.

Point being, most of the people who post on blu-ray.com are morons.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Sith Happens posted:

That's not a review from some random user on their forums, that's actually an official site review.

If you read the actual movie reviews on blu-ray.com... well, let's just say don't. Their writers all have different tastes in movies, and a lot of them are... interesting, to say the least.

The only things you should pay attention to on the blu-ray.com ratings are the picture quality, the audio quality, and the special features. Not the actual review.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Does anyone know what this version of No Country for Old Men is?
http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/No-Country-for-Old-Men-Blu-ray/22117/

It looks like it's new, but blu-ray.com has nothing about it. Is it the same transfer as the collector's edition blu-ray?
I just want to see exactly what it is before I buy it for $9.99, which is awesome.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

So uh... I got True Grit on blu-ray today, and there seems to be a problem playing it on my PS3 (excuse the lovely cell-phone pictures):

There's no menu. I can still move around it and whatnot, but when I do, things like this happen:

Is this happening to anyone else, or do I just have a hosed up disc?

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

No one owns a PS3 and bought True Grit? :(

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Haha, thank you all. However, I figured it out. There's something REALLY weird with the blu-ray, if you spam R1 and skip through all the previews very quickly, it makes the disc load very oddly. Yesterday it did that to me, and just before it wouldn't load the main menu at all.

After I slowly skipped each trailer with R1, allowing them to play a little bit each fine, it loaded perfectly fine, menu and all.

Once again, thanks all for saying you'd help.

edit- On that note, True Grit is absolutely and completely god drat beautiful on blu-ray. Like, holy hell.

GonSmithe fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Jun 8, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

hitze posted:

http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/58223
http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/58250
Two more comparisons.

R.I.P original LOTR Blu-rays.

:staredog:
Good sweet jesus. Guess I need to put up my pre-order now...

• Locked thread