Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

I think Cameron is focused on the T2 remaster in 3D at the moment along with filming as many Avatar sequels as possible. Most of Cameron's back catalog is really mishandled on Blu-ray. Like where the hell is True Lies?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

I'm going through blu-ray.com making a list of movies I want to get (there's a lot) and I'm continually baffled at what is and isn't available. I can't get Pretty in Pink, but Santa Claus Conquers the Martians gets a release from Kino Lorber. Cheech and Chong's Next Movie is available, but not Up in Smoke. Dudes is finally getting a release out of VHS, but no True Lies. I'm not mad, just a little confused.

EDIT: And one more, Sleepless in Seattle and As Good As It Gets were released through Twilight Time. That just seems wrong.

Liar Lyre fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Jun 29, 2017

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

The only 4K movies I have so far are Star Trek Beyond and Labyrinth. I was a little disappointed with Star Trek. Still want to get Power Rangers and Pacific Rim in 4k. I bet both of those would look really good.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

I'm pretty sure Kino is going to release the other 2 in the trilogy. I'd wait to see if a box set get released next year.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

RedSpider posted:

I still find it hilarious how 4k players are around $250.00 on average. Like, what in the gently caress?

Do what I did and buy an Xbox One S. At least you can play video games too.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

I'm still waiting for Dead Alive to be re-released. Last time I saw a copy, it was $120.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Boinks posted:

At least the DVD still has value
I found one for $4 a year or so ago and flipped it for $25.

Speaking of DVDs how is it the middle of 2017 and over half of retail space is still DVDs?

I worked at a video store for 2 years, so I have a bit of insight.
1. Some people don't care about video quality and just want cheap movies. DVDs are cheaper.
2. A lot of people that buy physical are older and don't feel like upgrading to blu-ray.
3. Young people tend to just use Netflix because it's cheaper than buying.
4. DVDs are cheaper to produce.

There's probably a lot of other reasons too, but that's what I've observed.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Since we were talking about "of the Dead" movies, Shout! is releasing Land of the Dead this October along with Poughkeepsie Tapes for the first time on home video.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Speak of the devil, in October Shout is releasing Dawn of the Dead.........the 2005 Zack Snyder version. Still, it's getting a 2 disc set with both versions. Hopefully this eventually leads to getting the original.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

The Barnes and Noble's 50% off Criterion sale starts tomorrow through Aug 5. I really hope the Zatoichi box set's included. I need that.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

I remember thinking the same thing when Blu-Ray first came out, but now I have to have it on BR or not at all. Eventually 4k will be the standard.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Speaking of 4K, Nolan confirmed he's started remastering the Dark Knight Trilogy. No release date, but that should be a must have set.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

FreudianSlippers posted:

I saw a whole stack of HD-DVD films at the fleamarket last week. It felt really weird. Like accidentally stepping on an overgrown grave.

Did you buy them? I bet you could have gotten them all for pocket change.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

I bet the price of Dawn will double overnight. One of the better distributors NEEDS to pick up the rights now. RIP Romero, you influenced so many lovely zombie movies.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Egbert Souse posted:

Looks like Disney lost the rights to the Studio Ghibli catalog. GK Kids will be distributing the films now.

I wouldn't expect any huge difference since Disney's Blu-Rays are from the same masters, but GK will probably do a better job subtitling. Apparently, Disney opted for "dubtitles" rather than more accurate translations of the Japanese.

I only started watch the Ghibli films this year. I guess I should stock up now just to be sure.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Egbert Souse posted:

Most have been marked down at Best Buy. I recently picked up My Neighbor Totoro, Princess Mononoke, Spirited Away, and The Cat Returns.

The transfers are breathtaking, though. Apparently, most of them are 6K scans of the camera negatives and mastered at 4K.

I own Nausica, Kiki and Totoro. I regret not watching any of these earlier.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

I think this is news, but T2 finally has a release date and specs. October 3rd on Blu-ray and 4k. As far as I can tell, no 3D in the US.

blu-ray.com posted:

SPECIAL FEATURES AND SPECS:
BRAND NEW 4K RESTORATION of the film supervised by director James Cameron
NEW "T2: Reprogramming the Terminator" 55 Minute Documentary Including Exclusive Interview with Arnold Schwarzenegger, James Cameron, Edward Furlong and More
Two Feature Commentaries including 23 members of the cast and crew, including director James Cameron and co-author William Wisher
"The Making of T2" 30 Minute Featurette
Seamless Branching to View 3 Different Versions of the Movie
Two Deleted Scenes with Audio Commentary
Original Trailers

LIMITED EDITION BOX SET CONTENT:
Life-sized Terminator EndoArm
Each limited-edition EndoArm unit includes a uniquely numbered sticker, featuring the signature of writer-director James Cameron

4K BLU-RAY TECHNICAL SPECS:
Audio: English DTS:X Audio, DTS Headphone:X™ Audio, English 5.1 DTS-HD Master Audio and English 5.1 DTS Digital Surround Audio
Subtitles: English SDH/Spanish

BLU-RAY TECHNICAL SPECS:
Audio: English DTS:X Audio, DTS Headphone:X Audio, English 5.1 DTS-HD Master Audio and English 5.1 DTS Digital Surround Audio

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

I bought Kong today and I really regret not picking it up in 4K. I forgot how vibrant it was. I just need to get more 4K movies in general, especially big action movies.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Kong is incredibly bright and stylized and just fun. The director Jordan Vogt-Roberts was heavily inspired by anime and video games and it shows. It's a better anime movie than movies based on actual animes.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

I think I'm gonna wait for the GKids versions now instead of getting the Disney versions. Glad I didn't go all out when I had the chance.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

You know what Blu-ray boxset I would love to see? A Godzilla set. If you have never tried to collect the series, it's a pain in the rear end. It wasn't until last year that they were all pressed on disc, but only half of them are on blu-ray due to 6-8 different distributors owning the rights. And most of them are on double feature packs with zero extras. I want someone like Classic Media, now Dreamworks Classics, take a shot at it since they released some great DVDs for the older films.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

I went ahead and got the Zatoichi box set. I'm usually not a fan of the the book style packaging, but it's probably the most beautiful set I've seen.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

This is our of nowhere, but I hate Disney. The Disney Vault is super real and drives the prices of some movies in the second hand market way up. When I worked at a used video store, Lion King consistently sold for $40+ daily for just the DVD. I want them to just have their whole library consistently available, none of this "retiring" crap.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Boinks posted:

Half Price Books prices all their used blu rays at full retail. Like today I saw Who Framed Roger Rabbit $12.50 and the Alien Quadrilogy $30.

But every once in awhile I catch them slipping:

Awesome find! I regularly go to yard sales for finds like this. Best I ever found was a copy of the Criterion edition of House on DVD for $2.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

There really is no good Predator blu-ray. You got the '08 edition which is an old and pixelated transfer with a bad codec and tiny disc. The Ultimate Hunter Edition from '10 on the other hand has too much grain removal and has a Vaseline gloss over it. I went with the newer one for more features.

2008 transfer

2010 transfer

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

November Criterion titles:

Le Samouraï
Jabberwockey
Desert Hearts
The Philadelphia Story
and lastly a collection of 100 films on the Olympics

Jabberwockey is the only one that interests me this month. Maybe Le Samouraï.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

I don't know if anyone else was following this, but German company Cinespectral was planning on releasing limited sets for Elvira Mistress of the Dark and Hell Comes to Frog Town. Unfortunately, a series of mishaps has led to the sets to be delayed indefinitely. They mentioned that some other German company may pick up the slack, but right now it doesn't look too good.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Heck yeah.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

CPL593H posted:

Yeah, the posters on the blu-ray.com forums are the worst and they nitpick the dumbest poo poo. I've seen some that outright said they won't buy a movie's sole blu-ray release because they didn't like the cover art.

To be fair, some releases take a perfectly fine poster design and make some new photoshop abomination. These Spider-Man ones are atrocious.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Timby posted:

This makes no sense.

Edit: I totally get having things as display pieces, but if the movie is good and sound / picture are good, who gives a flying gently caress if the label on the case is pretty?

If it's something I don't love or are passionate about, I can wait for a better case. Take Killer Klowns from Outer Space for example. Terrible NA cover. I can wait for a decent rerelease or maybe even import the Arrow release.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Multi feature sets drive me up the wall. I will always go individual release when possible, unless the set includes extra features. The Bond series is probably the worst offender. Every time they release a new movie they rerelease the series set with one more movie and extra. I could just buy the new one individually but then the collection looks goofy. And they can't keep a consistent design between releases either. The Fast and Furious franchise has been really good about that thought. Last few movies got steelbook releases from Best Buy that match which I appreciate.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

When I went to school for filmmaking, we were talking about 4k for just filming and having a larger canvas to work with when doing digital effects to make them look better. 4k TVs were just an idea at the time.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Scream Factory's prepping a release of Hell Night for December. Never head of it before, but I'm loving the cover. Shout/Scream Factory always have sweet covers.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Hahaha! Yes!

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

I do the same thing, but bigger. I got it from Ikea and his name is Billy. As you can see, he's already full so I need a third and maybe fourth bookcase for everything.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

got any sevens posted:

Thats an amazing cover, drat. That movie probably doesnt benefit from being on blu though

Shout says they're doing a 4k restoration of the Theatrical and Unrated cuts. If anything though, there's gonna be 3 new documentaries/interviews, new commentary, and all the legacy features from the DVD.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

December releases for Criterion:

Election (1999)
Général Idi Amin Dada: A Self Portrait (1974)
The Complete Monterey Pop Festival (1968-1986)

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

The covers are done by Orlando Arocena. Here's a collage of all of them. Some of them are okay and wished these covers were not just a slip of card stock glued on top.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Iron Crowned posted:

Any information on the quality of the blus themselves?

As far as I know, it's the same old releases from years ago. The only difference is the new "covers".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Alec Eiffel posted:

Why is covers in scare quotes?

The cover is literally a piece of carboard glued on top of the case. So underneath the new cover for Killer Klowns is this.

Well, at least that's what it looks like. I'm just assuming from the picture provided and the fact they've done this a lot lately.

• Locked thread