Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ultraviolence123
Jul 3, 2002

Not sure where else to ask this question... I bought Edge of Darkness, put it in my dinosaur Sony BDP-S300 player and it wouldn't load the movie. Not a big deal, I have a PS3 Slim as well, and it instantly loaded on that console. However, the movie, and pretty much any Blu-ray I've watched using the PS3 is impossibly bright and artificial looking vs. my regular Blu-ray player. Are there any changes I should make to my console so that Bu-rays will look natural and film-like like it does on the standalone player? Both the standalone player and the PS3 are connected using HDMI. Any help would be appreciated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultraviolence123
Jul 3, 2002

Captain Charisma posted:

Ah yes. While Universal kicks it like it's 2006 via DNR, Fox does it with their prices.

Fox wants $29.99 for Steven Seagal's Marked for Death. No extras, nothing. Fox is terrible.

ultraviolence123
Jul 3, 2002

Great news, guys! Marked for Death on sale at Amazon for $14.49. I wonder if anyone else besides me cares about this?

ultraviolence123
Jul 3, 2002

doctor thodt posted:

Up to $27.99 now. Hope OGB and I weren't the only ones who got in on this :cool:

Snagged the $18 price earlier today. Thanks for the tip!

ultraviolence123
Jul 3, 2002

doctor thodt posted:

e: Holy poo poo, Grindhouse is actually happening on October 5. Lock in your pre-orders because this price won't last.

http://www.amazon.com/Grindhouse-Special-Blu-ray-Danny-Trejo/dp/B003VMFWYI/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1279204973&sr=1-5

Awesome, thanks for the link. $13.99 is a phenomenal price.

As someone who owns multiple DVD editions of the Alien series, I'll be buying that stupid egg edition. I have the old DVDs, the first anthology that's about six feet long, the ultimate collection that includes all the Alien and Predator movies housed under a rock with action figures on top. Not having the egg would make my collection incomplete. Hope it's not super expensive.

ultraviolence123
Jul 3, 2002

26th of October also has William Lustig's 1980 slasher masterpiece Maniac coming out. Tom Savini's exploding head in 1080p.

ultraviolence123
Jul 3, 2002

I own all four Fast and Furious movies. They look awesome.

Here's my blu-ray collection:

http://ultraviolence123.dvdaf.com/owned/blu-ray

Feel free to make fun of me owning 10,000 BC and Race to Witch Mountain.

ultraviolence123
Jul 3, 2002

doctor thodt posted:

Awesome! Finally Synapse releasing Blu-rays. Crossing my fingers for a Brain Damage Blu release.

ultraviolence123
Jul 3, 2002

Return of the Living Dead is $10.49 at Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Return-Living-Dead-Blu-ray-Combo/dp/B003WTO5S4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1285075748&sr=8-1

Awesome price that I couldn't pass up.

ultraviolence123
Jul 3, 2002

I just picked up Ninja Assassin at Target for $13. That's $3.49 cheaper than Amazon. Nice! Also grabbed Superman / Batman Apocalypse.

ultraviolence123
Jul 3, 2002

Has Disney released any coupons for Beauty and the Beast yet? I've been spoiled by the coupons in the past for titles like Snow White and don't want to pay $25 for it Tuesday.

ultraviolence123
Jul 3, 2002

Silber posted:

So, I can't be the only one super loving excited that Troll 2 is actually releasing on Tuesday. Please tell me someone else besides me has this pre-ordered.

Also ordered this.

Pretty much emptied / will be emptying my bank account on titles this Tuesday. Beauty and the Beast, The Exorcist, Grindhouse, The Human Centipede, Troll 2 and some Roger Corman Cult Classic DVD releases from Shout Factory. Skipped the Bogart movies for now, as there's just too much coming out to buy everything, and it will make my mom happy to buy those for my Christmas presents vs any of the crazy genre titles I normally ask for.

ultraviolence123
Jul 3, 2002

Red posted:

Even if it's only for 30 seconds, why don't studios catch this stuff before they release it? Would the issue have affected my purchase? Probably not, because I don't have the DVD, but I do have the DVD for Saving Private Ryan, and I'm not getting the Blu-Ray because I know about the sync issue that has.

That issue with Saving Private Ryan fixed now. Look for the Blu-ray with the yellow barcode.

Edit: What the post above me says

ultraviolence123
Jul 3, 2002

To anyone who has used DVD2Blu, do they send you the discs with the cases? Also, how long does it take for your order to arrive? I have plenty of DVDs that I would trade in, but don't want to get discs in return without cases or artwork.

ultraviolence123
Jul 3, 2002

doctor thodt posted:

Blue Underground's lineup for 2011 so far:

Zombie
House by the Cemetery
The Cat O' Nine Tails
Inferno
Deep Red
Daughters of Darkness
God Told Me To
Q: The Winged Serpent

Every title listed there is essential EuroHorror. Well, God Told Me To and Q are American, but both are still awesome movies. I love Blue Underground.

ultraviolence123
Jul 3, 2002

sportsgenius86 posted:

There were people over there that were actually flipping out hardcore about how a little BR pop up menu came up during the credits of Beauty and the Beast to lead the viewer toward a documentary about the making of the film.

Not that I want to defend those people, but I really hate that popup. It's like watching broadcast television. Otherwise that release is perfect. Fantasia looks perfect. Disney probably releases the best Blu-rays out there.

ultraviolence123
Jul 3, 2002

doctor thodt posted:

A Serbian Film got a UK release yesterday and I'm wondering whether I should buy it for sheer novelty's sake.

It's edited. Wait for the US release.

ultraviolence123
Jul 3, 2002

Minnesota, no Battle Royale. Shipped the 11th of December, estimated delivery January 5th. I know it's not Amazon UK's fault, but it is slightly frustrating coming home to a mailbox with no Blu-rays in it. Even more so with the fact that the set is limited and now sold out. However. I can wait, I know the UK had major weather issues last month. I'm not going to get my panties tied in a knot like the posters at DVDTalk currently are.

ultraviolence123
Jul 3, 2002

I picked up The Girl Who Kicked the Hornets Nest today. Anyone know why Blu-rays for the movies in this series have a DVD logo on the bottom? Was Music Box Films so cheap they just squished the DVD packaging down?

ultraviolence123
Jul 3, 2002

feraltennisprodigy posted:

Hum, A Serbian Film on Blu-Ray... Can't make up my mind on whether that is a movie I want to watch again in HD or not. Would look good on my shelf at least.

If you're looking at the UK version, it's cut by over 3 minutes. Wait for a US version.

ultraviolence123
Jul 3, 2002

Bambi has an insert included that lists a bunch of upcoming Blu-ray titles. Besides the ones everyone is aware of, like The Incredibles, Tangled, Dumbo and The Lion King, The Fox and the Hound is coming in September in a 2-pack with the sequel. Awesome!

ultraviolence123
Jul 3, 2002

Scarface September 6th

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=6070

ultraviolence123
Jul 3, 2002

Deep Red currently $14.99 at Amazon

ultraviolence123
Jul 3, 2002

I just picked up the Back to the Future set at Target for $19.99, with the fixed packaging. I'd assume this is storewide and not just the store I was at (Downtown Minneapolis). Awesome price if you haven't bought it yet.

ultraviolence123
Jul 3, 2002

Sporadic posted:

Hate yourself and want to punish your friends and/or family?

A Serbian Film Blu-Ray preorder popped up on Amazon today. $19.99 - October 25

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ASIN=B005ER6STG

Is this edition going to be fully uncut or is it missing a minute of footage? I think TwitchFilm said it was still cut. If that's the case, I'll buy the full uncut DVD from Diabolik instead.

ultraviolence123
Jul 3, 2002

Just picked up The Others at Target for $5. Too sick of a deal to pass up.

ultraviolence123
Jul 3, 2002

Sporadic posted:

The Omen Collection dropped down to $19.99 on Amazon. Not bad for four movies, if you are a fan.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ASIN=B001ARDBWQ

Awesome, thanks! I remember this being around $90 when it was first released. Poor packaging or not, I had to bite at the $20 price.

ultraviolence123
Jul 3, 2002

Barnes & Noble's Criterion sale is just insane. I've picked up Blow Out and House for $15.30 each with the sale, 15% off coupons and a 10% member discount. Going to grab Videodrome and Kiss Me Deadly before the weekend is done and possibly a few more. Tempted to pick up Night of the Hunter as well.

ultraviolence123
Jul 3, 2002

Grabbed Night of the Hunter, Videodrome, Kiss Me Deadly and Diabolique at the sale. As much as I want to go back and grab some more, I'm going to resist for now. Kuroneko, Cul-De-Sac, and Repulsion will have to wait for now, unless they're going out of print soon.

ultraviolence123
Jul 3, 2002

Caliber 9 is such an awesome movie too. Worth $23 just for that movie alone. I just received a shipping notice from Amazon for that set. Might have to take off Wednesday from work so I can watch all these, and the Jean Rollin titles that came earlier this week.

ultraviolence123
Jul 3, 2002

Skwirl posted:

I just got the set in the mail, and I never know what language to watch Italian films from that era in. Since I'm assuming all the sound is done in post-production, would English be fine?

I always watch stuff like this in English. Watched Caliber 9 last night... looked about as good as it ever will. Plus, Barbara Bouchet is beyond beautiful in 1080p.

ultraviolence123
Jul 3, 2002

Didn't see this posted yet... a sexy 8+ minute piece of the restoration of Jaws for the upcoming Blu-ray.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=hLWvXaeDzwU

ultraviolence123
Jul 3, 2002

Some of those really need upgrades too. I have the entire Soul Cinema collection and there's few things more frustrating than watching full frame version of Hammer. Truck Turner and Coffy on Blu would be fantastic. They're my favorites out of all the MGM Soul Cinema titles.

ultraviolence123
Jul 3, 2002

I have every Scream Factory Blu-ray released so far, and they are all top notch. Halloween III and Terror Train look especially good. Based on this, I would assume that Day of the Dead will look better than the current Anchor Bay Blu. I love all the titles they announced, but was really hoping for Hell Night or Without Warning to get an announcement. Hopefully soon.

ultraviolence123
Jul 3, 2002

Sporadic posted:

February 26, 2013
Zombie Lake
Oasis Of The Zombies

These are two of the worst zombie movies ever made, but the opening sequence from Zombie Lake makes it really tempting to buy on Blu-ray.

ultraviolence123
Jul 3, 2002

Protip: Ridley Scott's The Duellists, which comes out Tuesday from Shout Factory, is currently at $14.99 at Amazon.

ultraviolence123
Jul 3, 2002

The news about the Franco movies coming to high def thrills me to no end. Redemption Films has drastically improved since the old days of single-layer non-anamorphic fuzzy-looking DVDs with the super cheesy Eileen Daly lesbian vampire intros. I was just watching The Comeback, which looked gorgeous, a million times better than the Media Blasters DVD. Haven't been disappointed with any of their releases so far. Bring on the Franco, I'll proudly buy every title day one.

ultraviolence123
Jul 3, 2002

At AVManiacs, Bob Murawski of Grindhouse Releasing announced that Pieces is getting a 4k mastered Blu-ray this year. I love that trash cinema titles are getting quality treatments as well. I'd rather have a Blu-ray collection filled with classic 70s / 80s horror, sci-fi and exploitation than major Hollywood anyday. Speaking of classic 80s horror, Scream Factory announced at their Facebook that they are releasing Prince of Darkness on Blu-ray this fall. Probably my favorite Blu-ray company at the moment would be Scream Factory / Shout Factory.

ultraviolence123
Jul 3, 2002

Synapse announced Demons and Demons 2 earlier this year. Yesterday, at their website, they posted that they are releasing them in limited steelbooks, 3000 copies only, that's it, no plans currently for standard releases. With shipping, each disc comes to almost $47. Kinda bummed, I hate that Synapse is taking the Twilight Time route. $47 is just too much money for those movies, no matter how good I think they are.

More details here: http://synapse-films.com/news/demons-demons-2-steelbooks-coming-in-2013/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultraviolence123
Jul 3, 2002

To me, it seems like a bizarre decision to limit Demons and Demons 2 to 3000 copies vs a wide release of Street Trash. Back in the VHS days, every video store I visited had copies of the Demons movies, but I had to trade videotapes with someone in the 90s to finally see Street Trash. I remember seeing the poster for Demons at every Mom & Pop store, and actually had a shirt for Demons 2 that was bought at Mr. Movies or some video chain. I would think that stuff with monsters from hell would sell much more than a movie about hobos drinking bootleg booze that causes them to melt.

• Locked thread