Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bmmello
Jul 11, 2002

Guess what is featured in Beaver's comparison of Carlito's Way?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bmmello
Jul 11, 2002

Magic Hate Ball posted:

One of these days I'm going to do an in-depth write-up on Eyes Wide Shut. Every time I see it I'm like "gently caress, this movie needs a thread" but then I put it off and put it off and then forget about it. Hell, every time I see a really great movie I get all amped up about it. I think I've got most of a potential 3 Women thread lurking around on my computer.

LAZINESS

But yeah, Eyes Wide Shut is amazing.

I support this. Watched it again the other day, must have been my 4th or 5th watching it (first on blu-ray, that looks fantastic indeed). I'm getting to the point where I'm able to memorize most of the dialogue. And yet I like it more on each new viewing. It is a deeply haunting film, and I dare to say, one of Kubrick's best.

bmmello
Jul 11, 2002

Bambi posted:

God help me, I caved and bought a modified Oppo BDP-83. I was browsing Amazon France and despairing that I couldn't buy movies like Bright Star and A Very Long Engagement, so my solution? Spend $500 on a new Blu-Ray player, so I can then spend hundreds of more dollars on these damned things :buddy:

Best $500 you have ever spent.

bmmello
Jul 11, 2002

New Masters of Cinema releases.

Vengeance is Mine is a must-own for me, though I wonder if I shall get it now or eventually wait for a Criterion release?

bmmello
Jul 11, 2002

ultraviolence123 posted:

Snagged the $18 price earlier today. Thanks for the tip!

I did get it at that price, too. Another thing that had its price raised considerably is Red Riding. Thanks to this thread I was able to pre-order it at $24.99 or so.

bmmello
Jul 11, 2002

Shame that most french releases do not include english subtitles. Let's see about that one...

bmmello
Jul 11, 2002

FitFortDanga posted:

I don't follow video games much either, but I would have sworn that Half-Life 2 came out ages ago.

It did, in 2004. Team Fortress 2 came in 2007. Both came to Mac only this year though, but I don't think that's really the issue here.

bmmello
Jul 11, 2002

Mother US-release review.

I, too, prefer the slightly darker look of the import release but, oh well, don't feel like canceling my pre-order in favor of a more expensive version. The film is not to be missed, though.

Oh, and...

tits!

bmmello
Jul 11, 2002

doctor thodt posted:

Grindhouse details:

:drat:

I wonder if that will include the extended, separate versions of the movies?

Still, an awesome deal at $13.99.

bmmello
Jul 11, 2002

I had never heard of Home but liked those screens. Anybody here seen it?

bmmello
Jul 11, 2002

Tony Danza Claus posted:

But there's no nudity in it.

There is actually. But not on the review.

However...Vengeance is Mine (including menu shots with boobs!) and Taking Woodstock(old release, new review).

bmmello
Jul 11, 2002

Crystal Skull is better than Temple of Doom.

bmmello
Jul 11, 2002

I see that The Conversation is a getting a new DVD release next week, but no Blu-ray as well? Why?

bmmello
Jul 11, 2002

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Apparently A Zed And Two Noughts has received a nice Blu-Ray thanks to BFI. It's region-free, too. Does FFD know about this?

I haven't seen it, but it seems like a film bound to have tits. Where are they?

Anyway, this looks good, I might check it out. I have never seen a Greenaway.

bmmello
Jul 11, 2002

doctor thodt posted:

High Tension is dubtitled :(

What does it mean?

bmmello
Jul 11, 2002

doctor thodt posted:

Claire Denis's White Material in December

Release of the year. Yes, including all the Criterions.

bmmello
Jul 11, 2002

FitFortDanga posted:

F2000 is worth it for "Firebird Suite" alone.

I prefer Rhapsody in Blue myself.

bmmello
Jul 11, 2002

FateoMcSkippy posted:

Urgh. These Amazon deals. In the past 2 days I've ordered:

American Psycho
Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Ring
Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers
Lord of the Rings: Return of the King
Last of the Mohicans
Role Models
Snatch

What's even worse is that I just moved on Sunday. I discovered today that I now like within 20 miles of an amazon shipping center. My 2 day Prime shipping only takes 1 day.

Has Role Models been lower than the current $9.99? I haven't seen it, but am thinking of blind buying it.

bmmello
Jul 11, 2002

I've got my library organized in 4 different categories but I am not really happy with it. Suggestions welcome.

- all blu-rays in alphabetical order (regardless of genres, directors, Criterion, etc.)

- my favorite/important directors DVDs (including the Criterion (DVD only) that are applicable), ordered by continents (America, Europe, Asia, etc.)

- all the Criterion DVDs that are not in the above category, in alphabetical order

- the rest, in alphabetical order (movies that I like but are not Criterion and not made by a director I care about)

bmmello
Jul 11, 2002

OGB posted:

Not out in the US yet. UK and Mexico, I believe?

Brazil too.

bmmello
Jul 11, 2002

FitFortDanga posted:

The Sacrifice: Remastered Edition - 6/28

Hell yeah. Haven't seen the other two, how are they?

bmmello
Jul 11, 2002

A good one is the Jeff Mills version.

bmmello
Jul 11, 2002

FitFortDanga posted:

Tree of Life pre-order is up, October 11th.

drat, I was hoping for a Criterion. At least it isn't too far off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bmmello
Jul 11, 2002

frumpsnake posted:

It probably won't come out before March. HBO don't normally release box sets until a month or so before the next season begins.

Strangely enough, the new Boardwalk Empire season starts in a week or so. Where is the home release?

• Locked thread