Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

Agreed posted:

Zombieland
A surprising amount of this movie is CGI or embellished with CGI, and it's so well-done, I was shocked to hear on the commentary just how much of it is. All the blood, half of every melee weapon (I know this makes it sound like a retarded videogame, but the baseball bat, golf club, toilet lid look like they actually connect with their targets because the real objects were halved and they filled in the other with CGI, which is a pretty useful application of CGI), the car wrecks...

The point is, Zombieland is an excellent-looking film, and probably because they processed it for extensive CGI.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

Sporadic posted:

So, you aren't a sucker who is eating up studio PR...but you do think that higher bitrate = higher quality?

Riiiiiiiight.
Well, his name is Agreed.

Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

Agreed posted:

Nope, just that it'd look even better if they had twice the space. I'm actually surprised that this is controversial or somehow makes me a slave to the media. Higher bitrate can yield higher quality.
To an extent, and with freeze frames sure, but the human eye has a hard time telling the difference between a 40 GB transfer or a 22 GB transfer at 1x speed -- I mean, you're talking almost imperceptible diffusions across roughly 2 million pixels, each changing 24 times per second. Not that I'm an opponent of quality, and just to be on the safe side I'd rather my Blu-Rays had the movie take up an entire disc with a bonus disc of supplements, but it's really, really hard to tell the difference.

If you think it was right for the Avatar disc to be stripped of extras, you have been sorely misled by a company that just wants you to double-dip. Instead of a DVD copy, they could've included a disc of extras, but they didn't.

Keanu Grieves fucked around with this message at 21:25 on May 5, 2010

Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

doctor thodt posted:

It'll come down by the release date, but probably not much below $30, if at all.
And, as I'm sure you know, it's worth every penny.

One of the best of the year.

Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

RichterIX posted:

I've heard some fat PS3 owners complain a whole lot about the fact that their PS3 doesn't light up the DTS-HD or Dolby HD lights on their receiver, even though it has no effect on the sound at all.
Being relatively poor, I opted for a budget sound system (it was all I could afford since I only sold $1,200 in food stamps and the first $900 went to PS3+TV). It's really irritating that each time I turn it on and off, I have to hit SOUND until it goes into surround mode. I really don't understand why these people are bitching.

Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

Jeff Wiiver posted:

Not to derail, but I can never tell if you're joking when you say you sell food stamps. I don't take any offense to it, just wondering if some joke is going over my head.
Why, you wanna buy some?

Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

BitterAvatar posted:

Oh god what's wrong with Gladiator? I didn't even realize it had issues.
It's too much awesomeness to comfortably fit on one disc.

Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

BitterAvatar posted:

Stop toying with my emotions!
He's just out to deceive you.

Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

The Lucas posted:

Anyone know why Netflix takes a bit to get some Blu Rays? Not the WB or Fox discs, I know about that, but I want to get Django and they don't even have a release date. It took them forever to get Vivre Se Vie as well.

Also, does anyone have a link to the Master of Cinema Blu Ray sale page?
I've wondered this too, and the only solution I can come up with is that they have a limited buying fund, and some higher-ups decide which movies to get on Blu-Ray and which ones to avoid.

I'm getting increasingly irritated that I pay for a Blu-Ray membership and they don't have the breadth of coverage they have when it comes to DVDs.

Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

This is like a loving communist nightmare.

OUR GREAT LEADER: IN UNIVISSSIIIOOOONNNNN!!!

Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

Why is it so hard for him to understand that a 1.78:1 screen can accommodate more than one aspect ratio? And why is someone screaming about forced aspect ratios and unnecessary changes suggesting as a solution yet another aspect ratio that should become the standard for everything?
I stopped reading at "partecipate." He really is borderline retarded and shouldn't be trusted to do anything right.

Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

This is why you don't get a VAIO. I'm sorry, but I repair computers, and VAIO could be defined as, "Same lovely components as a Dell, with an inflated price and even less driver support."

Not trying to induce buyer's remorse, and your VAIO may work great, but in my experience, they break just as quickly and have the most oddball random hardware without drivers on their web site (S3 button on a laptop, for instance).

Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

fenix down posted:

Is Saving Private Ryan fixed yet?
Nope, it still sucks.

Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

Bacon55555 posted:

How do you go about this?
Mail the discs to me. I'll put it in the new packaging and send it back. Scout's honor.

Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

Slvbarek posted:

I sent Universal an inquiry about it, and they sent me an email. You print that out, write out some info on it, then send that with the top flap of the Season 1 blu-ray to some PO Box. I got mine about three weeks later.

I'm pretty sure this link is what I used to contact them.
The BMK Exchange Program is way better.

Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

Bacon55555 posted:

I just sent you my BSG Blu-Rays! I also sent in my entire DVD and Blu-Ray collection so that those cases can be upgraded to Blu-Ray style Criterion cases. Thank you BMK for the upgrade. I can't wait to get them back!
They're in the mail. :smug:

Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

God I can't loving wait for August 17th so I can watch Red Riding again in all its splendid glory.

Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

Sporadic posted:

The Cable Guy

Jim Carrey is the guy in the photo and Ben Stiller was the director.
It's enough of a masterpiece to be referred to as L'homme du cāble.

First-day purchase. HOLLA!

Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

For those of you in the know, what the gently caress is up with All the Boys Love Mandy Lane? Available everywhere but the U.S. What gives?

Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

Sporadic posted:

From what I read, Weinstein Company sold the theatrical US rights to Senator Entertainment (after Grindhouse bombed) while retaining the right to release it on home video in the US. Senator goes broke before being able to release it in theaters in America. I would guess it is in some type of legal hell where Weinstein Company can't release it until Senator does a theatrical release.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/content_display/film/news/e3i89e4f40c1678880cb823a6a32a19f4c0

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/content_display/film/news/e3i6fda8a789c0468ebccb3d19ff7034eeb
I just can't believe this conflict has been raging so long. They can't just push it out to Blu-Ray and be done with it? It would be an unfortunate fate for Lane, considering it is bankable on its rising star, but it would be better than distribution limbo. It sounds like Heard's going to have grandkids before Lane sees legitimate stateside distribution. :(

Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

Neo_Reloaded posted:

Just get the cheap, region free UK Blu-ray.
Well, I did, but I want my American Blu-Rays goddamnit.

Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

doctor thodt posted:

Oh hey, Mandy Lane fans. Is it just me or did this smarter-than-average slasher flick go almost totally unnoticed in the States?
Hard to get noticed when, as far as Senator is concerned, it doesn't even loving exist here.

Yeah, it was a pretty good slasher flick.

Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

Neo_Reloaded posted:

Haha alright. I don't see the difference though honestly - the only time I regard an import in my library with disdain is when a superior American one has come out since.
Has mostly to do with my OCD need for like ratings certificates and such to match. Plus, PAL extras. :argh:

Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

TheSwami posted:

From the "National Lampoon's Straight-To-Redbox" school of cover design

I'm curious to see if this has a commentary track, though.
Oh God, could that box be more generic and misrepresentative of the movie itself? Also, why is every loving comedy nowadays comparing itself to The Hangover? It was funny as hell, sure, but how long is it going to be gold standard of comedy?

Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

Tony Danza Claus posted:

How, though? Did I sleep through Hangover Fever? I don't remember anyone giving a poo poo about that movie.
Pretty sure you slept through it. The Hangover was the breakout hit of 2009.

Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

Tony Danza Claus posted:

No joke, if you asked me guess its box office just minutes ago, I probably would have said "60 million, maybe".

That's insane. It's not even a sequel or celebrity-packed. My mind is blown.
Proof that word-of-mouth and strong reviews can still affect the public's willingness to shell out $10 for a movie than a trailer ever will.

Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

theradiostillsucks posted:

Just saw this on CheapAssGamer, good news for those holding out for deals on some of the Sony blus that never drop in price (read: Moon and Zombieland); Best Buy ad for 6/6-6/12:
Oh hell yes.

Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

My local Wal-Mart has Interview with the Vampire, a Total Recall/Universal Soldier bundle, Orphan, Event Horizon, The Relic, The Arrival, 1408 and a bunch of other crowd-pleasers for $15 or less.

If you live near a Super-Walmart, you should jump on this. I have a feeling these are pretty good prices (especially for some of the 2009 movies).

Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

Joe Don Baker posted:

I've recently seen quite a few double packs of blu-rays for twenty bucks. There's some pretty good sets, but I can't remember any.
Terminator/Predator was one I've been considering.

Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

My first time importing a Blu-Ray, I got Inside from Sweden (no subtitles, but there isn't much dialogue anyway and I already know what's being said). However, it clocks in at 78 minutes, which is neither IDMb's listed runtime of 83 minutes for the uncut version nor 75 minutes for the censored Blockbuster version. Reading around online a little bit, I have a feeling this 83-minute film in NTSC runs 78 minutes in PAL. Is this possible? Forum members swear this version of Inside isn't edited at all, but I have my doubts.

Then again, I'm new to NTSC/PAL discrepancies. One thing I've noticed, compared to the American DVD I originally watched, the film looks more fluid as if there's a higher framerate at play.

Keanu Grieves fucked around with this message at 10:57 on Jun 6, 2010

Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

Bambi posted:

It sounds like you got a disc that's encoded at 1080i50 (25fps as opposed to the normal 24). So it likely is indeed the censored version, and the 25fps speedup is accounting for that extra 3 minutes.
:argh:

The people on the other forum say it's not the censored version, but my first real inkling that something was off was when the fetus comes out of her mouth. It seemed shorter than I remember.

On the other hand, the initial car accident -- which I thought was trimmed down for the Blockbuster version -- is there in its entirety, from what I remember.

It's a mystery.

Keanu Grieves fucked around with this message at 12:06 on Jun 6, 2010

Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

For some reason, I was under the impression that PAL/NTSC no longer mattered for Blu-Ray and HD displays because they adhere to a different format altogether. Guess I was confused on this point.

I wonder if I got some weird Swedish cut of the film that abridges certain scenes while keeping others intact, although I can't find any listed alternate versions or runtimes for countries other than the U.S.

Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

Darth Freddy posted:

Glad you enjoyed it. Thread is going to make me rewatch it tonight after work. Sorry wolfman you will have to wait!
Don't sell The Wolfman short. That Blu-Ray is also one of the best around, capturing every Gothic detail of a northern (ALL APOLOGIES TO PROFESSORCLUMSY!) provincial estate in the 19th century. I've watched it at least twice since nabbing it, each time impressed with how atmospheric the movie is and how well the Blu-Ray captures it. Also, the beautiful use of grain contributes to said atmosphere.

Keanu Grieves fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Jun 6, 2010

Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

Agreed posted:

Anyway - bolded the important part. Would the difference between 24p and 25p turn 83 minutes into 78 minutes? There aren't any other cuts than the two IMDB lists, right?
Well, IMDb isn't perfect. Unless a user contributes it, there isn't much information listed about a film besides what's true in its home country and the U.S. So let's say the Swedish film board (I don't know anything about how Sweden classifies/censors/doesn't censor its movies) demands cuts be made. Cuts are made, but not the same cuts as in the U.S. because they're less sensitive to certain things than the MPAA is.

It's really hard to know for certain what happened there.

Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

Oooh...modfight!

*defuses situation*

After watching some more of it, I'm pretty sure it's the uncensored version. Sorry for the page-long derail guys.

Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

Magic Hate Ball posted:

It's an infamous case of really bad DNR, though the general consensus is that you won't notice on a screen under 40 inches. Blu-Ray.com, DVDBeaver
Platoon != Patton :)

Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

This makes me hope that some day they'll make a time-traveling war epic called Pattoon.

Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

FitFortDanga posted:

I like Platton more.
That could be the sequel.

Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

Watching the Dracula Blu-Ray and man this looks like poo poo for a 1992 film.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

Wrong thread, sorry!

Dracula Blu-Ray still looks terrible.

• Locked thread