Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rocco
Mar 15, 2003

Hey man. You're number one. Put it. In. The Bucket.
War of the Worlds was exciting. The less-than-great ending wasn't enough to defile the rest of a fun movie there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocco
Mar 15, 2003

I said come in! posted:

So it sounds like the 2008 blu-ray isn't much better, but between the lesser of the two evils, the 2008 one is the one to get?

I'm in full support of grain, but the 2008 blu-ray looks like total poo poo.

Rocco
Mar 15, 2003

I don't care what anyone says, I'll take the new Predator disc over the 2008 one.

Rocco
Mar 15, 2003

bmmello posted:

Crystal Skull is better than Temple of Doom.

I don't get this. Crystal Skull was a nap in movie form.

Rocco
Mar 15, 2003

sorry, doublepost

Rocco
Mar 15, 2003

Red posted:

Okay, that's it. I'm going on record as saying I ENJOYED THE FRIDGE NUKE SCENE.

I did too, I didn't even mind aliens. I just felt like it was phoned-in old people walking from point to point with CG ants chasing them. I know Temple of Doom is not the world's favorite movie, but jesus, it's THAT bad?

Neo_Reloaded posted:

And it would appear we aren't getting Finding Nemo this year either... Toy Story 3 was announced alongside the Mattor shorts - no Finding Nemo mention whatsoever. I'm really starting to get pissed about this one - it's been rumored every 6 months since 2008.

Are you kidding? What the hell is going on with Nemo?

Rocco
Mar 15, 2003

I feel like I'm the only one legitimately excited for -all- the movies in the Alien box set.

Rocco
Mar 15, 2003

Cacator posted:

I haven't seen Alien Resurrection in years - probably not the entire thing in a decade - and I'm kind of looking forward to watching it again. \

Yeah I mean, don't get me wrong, it's a B-movie, but it's still really fun.

Rocco
Mar 15, 2003

Cherokee Jack posted:

I'm not sure if I'm in the minority but I loving love Disney View.

Me too. It sounds kinda dumb on paper but I think Disney does it in a seamless, neat way.

Rocco
Mar 15, 2003

VoodooXT posted:

While they can be pretty 'spergy sometimes, they can be right on the money once in a while. Case in point: Gladiator and Gangs of New York. Those two original transfers were absolutely atrocious and anyone who said they were decent transfers were probably blind. The replacements we ended up getting are gorgeous.

I still think Gladiator looked great. :confused:

Rocco
Mar 15, 2003

GonSmithe posted:

You are absolutely and completely blind, and shouldn't waste money on blu-rays if you think this.

oh okay I'll stop

Edit: It wasn't like I was jizzing over the picture quality (and the Braveheart disc I popped in afterwards DID look a lot better), but I just didn't know there was anything "wrong" with it until people kept telling me there was.

Rocco
Mar 15, 2003

Red posted:

It's not a new issue with Deep Discount, either. The last time I ordered from them was probably 2003 - and a DVD that was in stock took almost a month to get to me. After that, it was Amazon for good.

Yeah I remember years ago getting some loving Beast Wars Season 3 DVD from them and not knowing where it even came from. Turns out I ordered it like a year ago as a gift and completely forgot about it.

Rocco
Mar 15, 2003

Egbert Souse posted:

Sky replacement for the opening shot and re-created opening titles.

Wait, are you being serious?

Rocco
Mar 15, 2003

Sporadic posted:

Did you see the Great Dictator cover?

This is a great cover. Are people really bitching about this?

Rocco
Mar 15, 2003

Sheldrake posted:

Yeah I guess if you add a tuxedo it really is a lovely cover!!

Rocco
Mar 15, 2003

Mr Wind Up Bird posted:

No one else got A.I.? I was worried because I didn't hear anything about it but it looks like it got a pretty good review. Whatever I like it.\

I bought it too, but forgot to ever write about it because my Best Buy down here put it out like three weeks ago on accident. It's awesome.

Rocco
Mar 15, 2003

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

Yeah but that box set is worth it for all the special features.

Seconding this- even if you hate the other two movies, the documentaries, even for those, are awesome- Especially when they talk about what went wrong. You won't regret the purchase.

Rocco
Mar 15, 2003

New version looks fantastic to me.

Rocco
Mar 15, 2003

Prof. ClumsySmurf posted:

Yes I am. I think it's hideous.

ahahahaha okay

Rocco
Mar 15, 2003

As someone who has just laughed and ignored all the past "Special Edition" changes to Star Wars, I've been finally cracked. Cannot cancel preorder hard enough.

Rocco
Mar 15, 2003

Just about everyone I know caved and bought the god drat horrible Star Wars box set. Thanks everyone.

Rocco
Mar 15, 2003

The DNR on Predator is ridiculous, and we all know it, but that first blu ray was ugly as poo poo too. I'm all for grain, but it was grain to the level of "I should have just kept the DVD."

Rocco
Mar 15, 2003

Space_Butler posted:

So starting with Horrible Bosses and Green Lantern, it looks like the digital copies in Warner blu-ray's are going to be UltraViolet digital copies instead of iTunes-redeemable ones.

How does this benefit anyone, at all

Rocco
Mar 15, 2003

I have my iPad loaded with digital copies of movies, and it is lovely on long flights.

Rocco
Mar 15, 2003

Steve Yun posted:

http://www.amazon.com/Pulp-Fiction-Blu-ray-John-Travolta/dp/B001AQT0Z4/ref=lh_ni_t

Pulp Fiction is $12 on Amazon right now

Thanks for the heads up- I've actually never seen this movie and I'm blind buying it now because come on

Rocco
Mar 15, 2003

Steve Yun posted:

I will say this in the defense of Alien 3, although I was pissed off that they threw away the emotional investment I had from 2, I have to say that they captured that sense of loss and tragedy pretty powerfully

Yeah, I never disliked A3 for any of that stuff. I actually thought the brutality of the opening was awesome.

That being said, I just think A3 acts a little self-important and is just a hair boring. I thought the extended cut was actually a lot worse.

Rocco
Mar 15, 2003

It's a firmware feature designed to spare you from having to watch "Crank 2."

Rocco
Mar 15, 2003

You guys should relax.

Rocco
Mar 15, 2003

hitze posted:

"Eh. It's bad, but it's not as bad as say, the worst blu-ray every released"

This is a little unfair though- The original blu ray looked like complete poo poo as well. I'm all for film grain but it was dirty to the point of not being worth the Blu purchase.

Rocco
Mar 15, 2003

Dissapointed Owl posted:

I have that release and, while not great, the grain is in fact the way they shot it and because of the type of film they used. It wasn't artificial, it was exactly how it was shot, which is why that's how I'd want to see it.

I see where you're coming from, but the thing looked like poo poo.

Rocco
Mar 15, 2003

TheSwami posted:

Anyone else get a notice from Amazon that their Roger Rabbit pre-order shipment will be delayed 'due to a manufacturing issue'?

Was about to post the same thing. Just canceled it.

Amazon never fouls up anything for me, how did they gently caress up the one blu ray I was waiting a billion years for? HOW????

Rocco
Mar 15, 2003

CPL593H posted:

I just find it weird that this stuff overshadows the actual movie for people. Like everyone who raged about the new Star Trek blu-ray not having a commentary track or something. I don't get why that's a deal breaker if you liked the movie enough to want to buy it in the first place.

I buy it for the full package. I liked the movie, but if I get nothing else then I'll just rent it or see it on TV. A lot of people like the extras, and most good movies don't gently caress them up. Star Trek did.

Rocco
Mar 15, 2003

Xenomrph posted:

Well yeah, I kind of figured when I was saying "best" that people knew I meant "personal favorite". :v:

Don't worry- you were right anyway.

Rocco
Mar 15, 2003

Dissapointed Owl posted:

I still have that first release of Predator with all the grain, but the transfer is basically a DVD upscale so it's poo poo all the way down for Predator releases.

Yeah, I'm baffled by people saying the original Blu looked better. It didn't even look HD. Every release has been poo poo.

Rocco
Mar 15, 2003

I guess I have broken eyes too because they all looked great to me.

Rocco
Mar 15, 2003

Random question, but I'm looking to maybe get the Twin Peaks Blu Ray set for some people this Christmas as a gift. I don't really know a lot about it, but I heard it had some audio issues. Did they... fix that? Is it safe to get that as a gift for people or what?

Rocco
Mar 15, 2003

Ehh, yeah, but at least the Alien is a cool design, you know? Giger's stuff is great. A giant blue Jamie Foxx head looks like poo poo no matter the context.

Rocco
Mar 15, 2003

Egbert Souse posted:

Disney is releasing Swiss Family Robinson and Return to Oz as Disney Movie Club exclusives. They've also released Pollyanna, Old Yeller, and The Love Bug this way. It looks like these exclusives are still high quality remasters, but no sign of being released outside the club.

Holy crap, are you serious? I'd never heard about any of these and I'd die to own them all. What the hell?

Rocco
Mar 15, 2003

Steve Yun posted:

There's a line it crosses where it goes "look at me, I'm being wacky!" a little too much, and Sam Raimi's films seem to know how to stay on the right side of that line.

I dunno I think it gets a pass for being super old and Japanese and the first of its kind

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocco
Mar 15, 2003

TheJoker138 posted:

Men In Black 2 is what angry nerds on the internet like to pretend that Ghostbusters 2 is. Ghostbusters 2 is a fine movie that a bunch of dummies don't like even though it's got a ton of great and memorable scenes. MIB2 is an actual terrible sequel and has a scene where an alien girl makes her tits bigger after looking at a billboard.

Man I don't think I've ever agreed with a post more than this. Ghostbusters 1 and 2 are like the same shade of goofy fun poo poo, who cares

• Locked thread