Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Death's Head
Mar 26, 2003

A new Eureka - Masters of Cinema release. Shohei Imamura’s Profound Desires of the Gods (£19.99 RRP)

Click here for the full 500x646 image.

http://homecinema.thedigitalfix.co.uk/content.php?contentid=72515

quote:

Presenting a vast chronicle of life on the remote Kurage Island, Imamura’s film comes to Blu-ray with the following features:

* Beautiful high-definition transfer, with exclusive digital image restoration
* New video introduction by film scholar Tony Rayns
* Original theatrical trailer (in 1080p)
* New English subtitle translation
* Extensive booklet with a new essay by Rayns (to accompany his introduction), rare stills, reprinted statements by Imamura, a lengthy 1994 career interview and a transcript of Imamura’s introduction and Q&A session at the 1994 Edinburgh International Film Festival’s screening of the film

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Death's Head
Mar 26, 2003

A review of the Japanese film Departures.

The transfer does not look like it will win any awards. However, it is a great film.

Death's Head
Mar 26, 2003

doctor thodt posted:

Damnit. Region locked to boot.

Where have you seen that information? I've looked around and can't find any confirmation on lock status of the disc.

Death's Head
Mar 26, 2003

doctor thodt posted:

Says so at the top of the review you linked.

I had thought that it said Region B just as a reference to it being a region B disc, since its UK. Looking at the other reviews on the site suggests that is not the case :(

Death's Head
Mar 26, 2003

I'll be able to test when I get my disc because I have one of those Momitsu knock-off players that HMV were selling for £50 back in January.

Death's Head
Mar 26, 2003

I recently rented the Disney classic Snow White and initially I could not get the disc to play in my PS3. Everytime I would hear my amp click to say it had changed output, only for it to click again and drop me back to the dashboard with a cryptic error message. The only hints I could find suggested the bluray laser is going in my PS3 (I hope not) and to turn off the super white option under display settings. this did allow me to watch the film, however, with Disney view enabled I had playback issues when the border changed. I decided to drop back to the main menu and start again with the Disney View turned off. This played but instead of pauses I now experienced jumps in the movie at each chapter.
Is it just Disney being daft, my PS3 being crap, or a combination of the two?

Death's Head
Mar 26, 2003

I watched the Masters of Cinema release of M. Its amazing how good it looks for such an old film. The film itself is an interesting social commentary of the hunt for an child murderer and what may or may not happen if that person is caught. I highly recommend it. Judging by the DVDBeaver review, the Criterion release looks even better.
http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/DVDCompare7/m.htm

Death's Head
Mar 26, 2003

For doctor thodt
Kamikaze Girls

Other mentions
Ashes of Time Redux
Bronson
The Good, the Bad, the Weird
Hamlet
Henry V
The Loneliness Of The Long Distance Runner

Just because its region locked.
Danny the Dog
Lesbian Vampire Killers
9 Songs
Midnight Meat Train

Comedy TV Series which is very good. "Tea leaf, anything from NASA?" "No? How many more people have to die before they listen!"
Psychoville

I was going to suggest The Big Blue, Departures, Elite Squad, and Mesrine but you have them in your list. :)

Although the disk is region free, I would recommend I'm a Cyborg but that's OK for £8.99 which is considerably cheaper than what is available on Amazon.com

Death's Head fucked around with this message at 11:35 on Jul 11, 2010

Death's Head
Mar 26, 2003

I can rent Suspiria and let you know on PQ.

Death's Head
Mar 26, 2003

doctor thodt posted:

Oh yeah, I forgot there's also a UK release of Suspiria. Not sure about the pq there but it appears to also be region locked.

I've rented it. Its not excellent, but I think that is more to do with the source material. Its also hard to judge at times because the backgrounds are mainly primary colours. To add to this, the aspect ratio looks wrong on certain scenes, e.g. One of the ballet girls has a long face during the scene when they are bedding down. At times the PQ is soft, but at others there is plenty of detail. Near the start of the film, there is a pool of blood on the floor which appeared to have a halo, but it could just be the way the scene was shot. The sound is OK, oppressively loud when it is supposed to be. If you like the film, you will no doubt like the release.

Death's Head
Mar 26, 2003

Its a real shame that the person who created that doesn't allow downloads because some of his custom covers are excellent.
http://gallery.me.com/graphicman.yyc

Death's Head
Mar 26, 2003

I saw that site, you can easily find the sites where you can get his work just by googling for his username - bpmford. I can understand why he has removed general access to his covers because they get plastered across custom cover sites where you have to donate to download them. If other people are making money from his work then he should too. His requirements for sending them via PM are being a member of Blu-Ray.com for over 6 months and being a friend or a friend of a friend.

Death's Head
Mar 26, 2003

doctor thodt posted:

Inception Briefcase Set

So far only available in the UK. Awesome that the film is getting a Maximum Movie Mode though.

It is now available for pre-order at Play.com for £29.99
http://www.play.com/DVD/Blu-ray/4-/16117134/Inception-Triple-Play-Limited-Edition-Briefcase/Product.html

Death's Head
Mar 26, 2003

I think this is a pretty complete reflection of my collection. Some are for myself and some for other reasons :-) I think its a real mixed bag.
Updated to add most of the discs I'd missed. Its frustrating that I have 2 Japanese blurays that aren't in their database. It would be great if they had a way to add missing ones.

Death's Head fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Sep 13, 2010

Death's Head
Mar 26, 2003

Bambi posted:

These are starting to turn up in people's mailboxes:

Unf.

I got mine today. I'm very happy :D

Amazon.co.uk is going to be doing Black Friday deals starting on Monday 22nd November. As far as I know, this is the first time for us so it will be interesting to see what we get.

Death's Head
Mar 26, 2003

Memories of Matsuko was reviewed.Twice.
The review suggests it is region free.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Death's Head
Mar 26, 2003

Sporadic posted:

Amelie preorder popped up at Amazon. $13.99

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ASIN=B004ZG5EYC

About par for the course for Lionsgate catalog titles but still worth mentioning.

What are Lionsgate releases like for being region free/locked? I love this film. :-)

Death's Head fucked around with this message at 01:36 on May 9, 2011

• Locked thread