Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

Harlock posted:

The prospect of Deadwood potentially coming keeps me from buying the DVDs.

I dread that happening because it's going to be one expensive double-dip.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

Bambi posted:

Some audiophiles just piss and moan about wanting to be able to do everything via their receivers.

I've heard some fat PS3 owners complain a whole lot about the fact that their PS3 doesn't light up the DTS-HD or Dolby HD lights on their receiver, even though it has no effect on the sound at all.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

Honest Thief posted:

how are Warner Bros. Blurays usually like? I'm thinking of getting Exorcist which comes out September according to play.com

You might want to wait and see if William Friedkin does anything crazy to it before you buy it. He completely changed the colors in The French Connection. It looks cool, but I'd like to have the original version too :(

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
Does anyone know if I'll eventually be able to get Fistful of Dollars and For A Few Dollars More individually? I was looking at dvdbeaver and they seem to look great, but it sounds like I'd be better off getting a different country's edition of GBU

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
Has anyone seen either of the Michael Keaton Batman movies on BD? I have a gift card at Best Buy where they're $20 apiece, but I'm having a hard time deciding based on dvdbeaver whether they're worth the upgrade or not from the Special Edition DVDs.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
Thanks for the input, I think I'll go and pick them up.

As soon as I do they'll probably go on sale a week later.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
Is buying blu on ebay still relatively safe? I have this weird paranoid streak where I always think I'm going to end up with a bootleg.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

doctor thodt posted:

Bootlegs are pretty uncommon. If the seller has good feedback then you should be fine. I've gotten my fair share of discs on ebay.

Cool. I want Adventureland and I got all excited when I saw a "On Sale!" sticker on it at Best Buy, until I got closer and saw that it's "on sale" for the price of $26.99. I'm hoping I can find it a lot cheaper on ebay or elsewhere online.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
Motherfucker I just bought Zombieland used for like the same amount.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
Oh man I can only imagine how awesome the Blade Runner one is.

I've quadruple-dipped Blade Runner and I've never once regretted it.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

BajaBurrito posted:

I dunno - it looks like the Premium Edition is only the stand-alone Final Cut as already distributed in the EU, so it seems to me the US multi-disc, multi-cut edition is still the ultimate release.

I don't know this for sure, but I have to assume that these so-called "Premium Editions" digibooks are exactly the same discs stuck into a new fancy package. If you don't already own these on Blu, that's one thing, but at some point I think you might need to take a step back and review your collector's mentality!

Oh, yeah, I was just saying the packaging probably looks really cool. I don't think I'll be actually buying another copy of Blade Runner for a good long while. Having multiple copies across multiple media is one thing, I don't think I'm ready to start double-dipping within blu-ray yet.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

doctor thodt posted:

So the new Predator Blu-Ray sure is, uh, interesting...

http://www.imagebam.com/image/606b8b84038010

Only registered members can see post attachments!

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

doctor thodt posted:

By the way, most (if not all) of the new Dragon Dynasty releases are surprisingly competent. I picked up Kill Zone and The Banquet at Best Buy for $15 each and they both have terrific PQ and lossless audio. Who'd have thought!

Have there been any reviews for these? I'll take your word on The Banquet, but I've been eyeing Fong Sai-Yuk and Tai Chi Master and can't find anyone's comments about them.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

ProfessorClumsy posted:

Now I'm just depressed. I hope he doesn't gently caress around with the Exorcist like that.

The stupid part is that all the bitching could have been prevented by just having both versions on there. Unless two versions of the movie is just too big for one BD.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
Is there any reason at all to have lossless audio for Always Sunny?

The first season of Weeds is all on one disc in 1080p but with a regular DTS track (if I remember correctly) and it looks okay, certainly not great, but better than the Always Sunny Christmas BD at least.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
How's Wong Kar-wai's Fallen Angels? It's on sale on the Best Buy website for $9.99, which is perfect impulse buy territory for me, and everything I've read about it sounds interesting, but I was never very thrilled with Chungking Express. Granted, it's been years since I've seen it, but I thought I'd ask people's opinion anyway.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
Not to turn this into Shelf Chat but those are pretty cool, where are they from?

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

doctor thodt posted:

Go buy A Prophet on Blu-Ray. Now.

but it's expensiiiiiive

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
Yeah, chiming in to agree that the Halloween disc looks so drat good that it overwhelms the color timing issue.

It doesn't look NEARLY as old as it actually is, it's actually kind of jarring when you turn it on.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

The Lucas posted:

Is there a way to tell apart the remastered and non-remastered Gangs of New York Blu Ray based on the packaging? I wanna buy it but I wanna get the right one.

The remastered one has a big black and gold border around the cover art. And when I say big I mean it's like 50% black border

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

Volcasarus ReX posted:

What version is the good one? The Remastered?

Yeah, you want the Remastered edition. The original Blu-ray is astonishingly bad.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
I wonder how the Blair Witch BD will turn out. Wasn't it shot on 16mm and, like, consumer-grade video? The 16mm parts might benefit, but I guess at $9.99 it's hard to complain since I don't already own it.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

doctor thodt posted:

Went a lil hog wild with the Best Buy exclusives this morning :shobon:

I'm eagerly awaiting impressions on Blair Witch

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

Space_Butler posted:

Hopefully if it's the latter, they also spruced up the transfer. The copy I have looked very flat and drab.

This could be cool. The trilogy release of Spider-Man 2 looked great, and 3 looked fantastic, but 1 looked a little plain comparatively.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
Can anyone tell me about the various international versions of Let the Right One In? I was dumb enough to buy the US release with the bad subtitles, and on principle I'd rather not give Magnolia MORE money to replace the lovely product they released originally. I've been thinking about importing, but I'm having a hard time finding reliable info on which countries have region-free releases and how they compare to the US in picture quality.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
Certain companies (Warner Bros. included, obviously) have been sending those "Rental Only" copies of both DVD and Blu-ray movies for about a year now. I think it's an attempt to cut down on the number of people taking advantage of Blockbuster's "5 previously rented movies for $20" deals.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
Lady Vengeance looks fantastic. It's almost a shame to watch the fade-to-black-and-white version because you miss out on all that color

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
Is the blu-ray of Evil Dead 2 really bad? Review sites seem pretty evenly split on it. In spite of how good the ED1 transfer is supposed to be, I really prefer 2 as a movie.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
A lot of the Director's Cut stuff is really dumb but I actually kind of like the random gargoyle heads and stuff because the shots are composed in such a way that they are rarely the first thing you notice. When you see them in stills they look a lot shittier than they seem when you're actually watching the movie.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
If you can look at this screenshot and not feel sort of creeped out, then the problems with the BttF blu-rays probably won't bother you so you should purchase and enjoy them on your own terms

http://www.imagebam.com/image/268ceb103448476

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
Has anybody else watched their The Girl Who Played with Fire disc? I watched it the other night and the picture quality seems strangely... bad.

At the very least, it's inconsistent. Some shots look fine while others look really fuzzy and noisy. I also saw a big-rear end hair or scratch or something dancing around on the right side of the screen for like 15 seconds. I don't remember The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo having these issues.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
In regards to my earlier post about The Girl Who Played with Fire: I didn't realize that this and the third one were basically made-for-TV movies and shot in 16mm. I was wondering why the second one looked so much shittier than the first.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

Noxville posted:

Film grain? Needs more DNR.

Not to mention the fact that they have the balls to release this on blu-ray without colorizing it.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

doctor thodt posted:

I dunno man, according to a lot of chatter all over the internet, the desaturation definitely seems to be a problem endemic to the Blu-Ray.

In your best estimate, do you think this might end up being an issue similar to Gladiator or Gangs of New York where it might get a really fast re-release (and possibly an exchange program?) or is something like this too minor?

I'm asking because I was all set to buy this day one but it's pretty loving expensive, especially if the picture is subpar.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

eLGee posted:

It was made for both TV and the big screen, and it was 35mm, not 16. It's a strange system for some big movie projects in Sweden that they make a longer TV version and a cut for the theatrical release.

That's what I get for ever reading the blu-ray.com forums

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
Yeah, seeing them back to back makes the iTunes trailer look like rear end.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

Kilometers Davis posted:

It was too dark in the theater, so this is good.

The top one is the DVD/Blu-ray.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

Neo_Reloaded posted:

At the same time, for this specific case (lol pun), I wouldn't be surprised if Midnight Legacy was just saying that as an easy way out once they found out how much custom red cases would cost.

They should have just scratched the logo off of a bunch of HD-DVD cases

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
Does anyone want to sell me their Korean Thirst blu-ray? It's so expensive :(

On k2dvd there seems to be a 1-disc version and a 3-disc version, with the 3-disc being cheaper. Is it completely different packaging or what?

Edit: Nevermind, the 3-disc is just the DVD copy. Jesus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

doctor thodt posted:

The CJ Blu-Rays are pricey, but worth every penny. Except for Arahan, which I spent nearly 40 goddamn dollars on only to find out there's a significant authoring error that causes the subtitles to be out of sync with the dialog.

gently caress don't tell me poo poo like that. My hand keeps reaching for my wallet under its own power.

Along the same line, I think you mentioned the Tartan "I'm a Cyborg..." disc a while back. It's pretty cheap on amazon.co.uk, but I'm assuming I wouldn't be able to watch the special features without a region-free player. Still, it's probably worth it.

• Locked thread