Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

OGB posted:

And I'm not gonna pay more than $17.

I'm guilty of this one...

I'm a cheap bitch. But I've only paid more than 19.99 fora blu-ray a handful of times, so it probably evens out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

Captain Charisma posted:

Is BTTF worth buying or is the DNR bad enough to avoid it

RichterIX posted:

If you can look at this screenshot and not feel sort of creeped out, then the problems with the BttF blu-rays probably won't bother you so you should purchase and enjoy them on your own terms

http://www.imagebam.com/image/268ceb103448476

I posted this earlier but I dunno how representative of the whole set this is.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

Jack Does Jihad posted:

I thought the blu-ray case for Black Dynamite was black? The one I got is blue.

nah I think doctor thodt just did that on his own by swapping with another movie that had a black case.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

Space_Butler posted:

They're also reporting that Warner will be releasing some animation catalog titles, including Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker, Scooby Doo and the Cyber Chase, and Aloha Scooby Doo. WB has been pretty much about new releases for animation, so this is a welcome change if they're going to dip into their animation library. Perhaps a release of Batman: Mask of the Phantasm may be in the cards down the line.

Return of the Joker and Mask of the Phantasm would be amazing. I wonder what kind of HD sources exist for those.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

MajorB posted:

If you're picking up a copy of Nausicaa, don't forget this $10 off coupon!

Is this dead?

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
Someone sell me the CJ Entertainment Thirst blu-ray, it's out of print on k2dvd and yesasia. :(

I'm a little reticent to buy a blu-ray on eBay from Korea. Should I be worried?

Edit: gently caress it I'm doing it

RichterIX fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Mar 23, 2011

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
Here's a positive review of the new Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker disc:
http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Batman-Beyond-Return-of-the-Joker-Blu-ray/20237/#Review

Hopefully this is good news for those of us excited about the Mask of the Phantasm disc that was announced.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

Neo_Reloaded posted:

I think he misspoke - I've seen no announcement for Mask of the Phantasm (and I just did a search at Google and the regular Blu-ray places to see if I'd missed it).

Oops, yeah. I didn't misspeak but I must have misremembered (or imagined) a really old article from back when Return of the Joker was announced but had no release date. I thought I remembered them saying that Phantasm was announced as well but also had no release date, but I can't find it anywhere now.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
There's a really weird disconnect in Resurrection between the dialog and the way it's delivered. Say what you will about Joss Whedon's writing style (I myself am indifferent), I feel like it's pretty clearly delivered "wrong" in Resurrection.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

Geekboy posted:

They haven't released all of these separately yet though, so it comes down to your preferences really. I just don't see the point in buying something on BR if there aren't any special features. There are always exceptions, but that's a general rule for me.

If you have a Target near you they have individual releases of all three of these for like $15.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

Shiroc posted:

Target has the Once Upon A Time In The West bluray for $10 right now. They also had the new John Wayne blus for the same price. Not sure if I saw them in the ads.

They also had A Man Called Horse for $10, which my dad was pretty excited about.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

GonSmithe posted:

No one owns a PS3 and bought True Grit? :(

I can check it out for you in a few hours but I'm at work now :(

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

Space_Butler posted:

Fox has announced It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia: Season 6 for a blu-ray release on September 13. Despite (from what little info has actually gotten out) the disappointing sales of The League and Sunny Season 5 blu-rays, Fox has nonetheless decided to just keep going releasing those series on blu. Good on them, it's about time Fox stopped abandoning tv shows on blu-ray.

Always Sunny BDs would probably sell better if there was any compelling reason whatsoever to have them on BD over the DVDs that drop below $20 within weeks of release..

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

Space_Butler posted:

The new season was actually shot in high def, as was the bonus extended cut they made of "Lethal Weapon 5". I'd say thats one compelling reason.

Touche. Still, it's hard to wonder why sales for the last season weren't good. I'm glad they're continuing with it knowing that it's actually worthwhile now!

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

Egbert Souse posted:

An interesting post from Blu-Ray.com:
"I just contacted KINO. They told me there IS a more definitive edition coming out for METROPOLIS! Hopefully this Xmas! Three versions of the film, Georgio Moroder score and more extras. Will come in a tin pacakaging. He said they are hoping to get it out by Xmas, but if not, early '12. "

Fffffuck I just bought the other one. Oh well, I got it for $9.99, and I'm not sure I would drop "giant tin boxed set" money on a more complete version.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
Any word on the new Echo Bridge Dead Man disc? I can't find any reviews anywhere, but at $7.99 I might buy it anyway.

Yes, I realize the fact that I even mentioned Echo Bridge means I should probably steer clear, but I really like the movie.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
Thanks a lot for the info. I got pretty nervous when I saw that Echo Bridge was involved. It's hard to get mad about $8 though.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
Is Jane Eyre worth a blind buy?

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

Which one? Between movies and mini-series, it's been done like a dozen times.

Oops, sorry. Should have been more specific. I meant the one with Michael Fassbender that just came out today.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

Sporadic posted:

Evil Dead 2 is getting re-released for its 25th anniversary. If what I heard is right, it will have a new making of documentary, a new Bruce Campbell commentary track and other goodies.

A new transfer, maybe?

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
If anybody has problems with their copy of X-Men First Class skipping or freezing on a PS3, disable the internet connection and go into BD Data and delete the 3+ megabyte file the disc installs there. I'm not sure what the problem is but the disc works fine after that.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Well, there's this but I can't say I agree with everything on that list so your mileage may vary.

Wow, is the Big Lebowski disc really that bad?

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
Has anyone seen the new Gamera stuff at a brick and mortar anywhere?

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

WickedIcon posted:

I'm pretty sure he's talking about the 90s Gamera movies, which Mill Creek has been giving really good releases recently, not the lovely 60s movies Shout Factory are putting out.

Yup, these. Gamera 3 was supposed to come out yesterday but none of the stores around me have heard anything about it. On the one hand, I'm not surprised that Best Buy didn't get in a niche monster movie, but on the other hand I remember them having the Gamera 1 and 2 blu-ray box set on release day.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Looks pretty fuzzy. DVDBeaver, if it is to be trusted, backs me up (Panorama vs. Lionsgate, notice the diners in the rear, the stone walls, and the white bar backer). But whatever, don't want Tarantino to bring his squadron of big-footed women to stomp me to death while he masturbates in the corner.

Not that I disagree, but isn't DVDBeaver notorious for dicking around with their screenshots?

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
I'm not particularly attached to Lion King for some reason, but if I come into this thread next year or whatever and people are shittalking Aladdin I'm going to freak out.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

Jeff Wiiver posted:

Some screenshots of Criterion's HD transfer of Rushmore (personally supervised by Wes Anderson himself) here.

November 22 being outside of the Barnes and Noble sale is like some kind of cruel cosmic joke.

I wonder if The Royal Tenenbaums will be next.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
I forgot to add the keychain. Can I add it to an existing order without cancelling and re-ordering? I probably won't use it but I feel bad for not getting it since it's free. Unless they charge me shipping or whatever, then gently caress it.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
Will this be a good blu-ray of This Island Earth? Like, I can't see the point unless the whole thing is well-restored.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

mod sassinator posted:

Somehow I've accumulated 3 copies of The Big Lebowski (it came in a couple different box sets), so now I can turn them into some classic western blurays.

edit: I might be forming an addiction to westerns:

Where is The Searchers. Where?

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
Has there ever been any discussion or hint that there might someday be a non-lovely release of Interview with the Vampire? It's always so cheap, but I've heard really bad things about the transfer.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
Yeah if you're still (un)lucky enough to have a Blockbuster around, check and see if they have Zodiac. It'll come in a lovely Blockbuster amaray case but whatever. If they don't have one for sale, check and see what the used price is and just tell them you lost it if it's reasonable.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

CPL593H posted:

I used to think like this, but then I realized buying used videos is perfectly fine and paying a considerable amount more for a new one is a huge waste of money. I've gotten some crazy rear end deals by buying used. Right here on SA I got four seasons of Futurama for like 30 bucks. And the Man Who Fell To Earth Criterion DVD for eight dollars.

This is compounded for blu-rays by the fact that they don't scratch. I've cleaned up on Blockbuster's 4-for-$20 or whatever sales, and then I just order blu-ray cases if I'm that worried about the crummy ones Blockbuster gives you.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

friendo55 posted:

Just quickly skimmed the initial posts here regarding the Hitchcock Masterpiece Collection and didn't see this listed. There's a UK 'mantlepiece' Limited Edition Set of this release that is 14 films, not 15 (North By Northwest is only in the US release). With the VAT dropping off it comes to $135 CAD including shipping - much cheaper than the US or Canadian release.

I'm assuming these discs are going to be region-free but it hasn't been confirmed. What a beautiful release.

Thanks for posting this. It looks cool, and it might be a really good buy for someone like me who already has the North by Northwest digibook.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
I've actually been a little nervous about all these sudden boxed sets, because in the past these catalog releases have been trickling out fairly slowly. We get, say, a few good Bond movies at a time at first, and then all of a sudden they poo poo them all out in one boxed set, which doesn't exactly make me feel confident in the amount of time they've spent on restoration.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
Yes, let's re-release a bunch of discs that already exist with good transfers (except True Romance which could use a new one) and never ever put out Kill Bill: The Whole Bloody Affair ever.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

Sporadic posted:

Looks like there is a new candidate for worst Blu-Ray ever released. Night Of The Living Dead (1990) from Twilight Time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=i6MZnqPnTxU

It's hard to believe a title could be botched that badly and it isn't just that scene. The entire movie is suppose to be like that.

What's funny is reading the blu-ray.com forums and watching people who paid $30 for this piece of poo poo fall all over themselves trying to justify their purchase.

"Well, if I turn the Blue setting on my TV all the way down and the Red and Green settings all the way up, this looks pretty good :downs:"

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

Professor Clumsy posted:

I've been going through the Universal Monsters blu ray box set and it is just fantastic. The restoration of Dracula is just astounding, especially the work they did on the soundtrack. I never noticed before how some scenes in that film actually are filled with interesting sound design instead of this all-consuming hiss. Plus, that tantalising 3-D restoration of Creature From the Black Lagoon is making me wish I had a 3-D TV.

I'm getting so loving excited for this, but mine's coming from Amazon.co.uk so it'll probably be forever before I get it. The screenshots I've seen from all of the movies have been amazing so far.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
Has there been any talk about whether or not Best Buy will have a steelbook for TDKR that matches the ones they have for Batman Begins and The Dark Knight? If there isn't one on release, I don't know if I'll be able to take it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

Egbert Souse posted:

...a new Enter the Dragon.

Thank Christ. I hope this one is actually worthwhile.

• Locked thread