Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

frumpsnake posted:

It's not much better on the 360. Even though the 360 Slim added built in 802.11n, it's only 2.4GHz, whereas the separate adapter they introduced 6 months prior does 5GHz at well.

But yeah, at least the PS3 does gigabit.

Gigabit Ethernet is beyond worthless on a gaming/media streaming device. Streaming a full uncompressed BR rip only maxes out at about 60Mb/s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

frumpsnake posted:

Transcoding on the fly (necessary for subtitled content) and seeking can push the bandwidth requirements above 100Mbps.

Wait, why would transcoding on the fly require that? The transcoding machine is streaming the resulting output to the client (PS3).

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Skwirl posted:

If you're only using it for streaming movies, yeah, but if you also use it as a gaming device, being able to download games and demos faster might be worth it. If you aren't going to be using it for games, than whoever said you were better off just getting a blu-ray player was right.

Uh, no. Most internet connections max out at well under 100Mb, let along 1000. At least in the US. Even if you live somewhere with gigabit internet there's no certainty Sony is going to deliver content at the full speed of your connection.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

How many times are you kids going to climb into that white van, huh? There are no puppies inside, dammit, and we all know how this ended the last two times.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

They must have been mastered extremely early in the DVD days, as it wasn't more than a couple years in that almost all of them were anamorphic.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Hah, $23 shipped to the US for the AA. That's amazing.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Skwirl posted:

Can I get an explanation for this? I don't want to google "zoom on the cock."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2WA5c4QHZLU

Video is SFW, audio probably not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

the_Vandal posted:

Cool. I don't give a gently caress about the case. I still wonder why it cost twice as much for the same thing(with a less ugly case) in America though. I guess it doesn't matter though. Thanks to the people that mentioned it earlier in the thread and reminded me it was cheap on Amazon UK! I'm kind of excited to see the first 3 movies in HD before Prometheus comes out.

For some odd reason Amazon is really aggressive with box sets in the UK. I got the Godfather collection, Alien Anthology, and I think my Life/Planet Earth sets all from them, for way less than I could have bought them in the US at the time.

• Locked thread