Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

Egbert Souse posted:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/goldbox/?tag=bluraynews-20

Amazon has the UCE of Woodstock on sale for $27.00

Wal-Mart had a "just the discs" release for a short time for $30. I cannot recommend this release enough... great film (regardless if you're into the culture or music), great presentation, and hours of extra performances.

Thanks for the heads up. Been wanting to pick that up for ages and $27 is definitely a price I can't pass on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

qbert posted:

I actually thought it wasn't half bad. It's very similar to Apatow films, but I thought both the leads pulled their parts off pretty well.

Mind you I saw it for free at a screening.

Well, Jay is from the Apatow troupe. I pretty much will give anything he is in a chance just because of Undeclared.

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

doctor thodt posted:

Life reviewed

I wonder why one episode is on 1080i. And it was one of the two that I held off on watching the Oprah version so I could wait for Attenborough on.

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

Neo_Reloaded posted:

So much raging... That's how they filmed the show, it's either a stylistic choice because everything on the show is so ramshackle, or they just don't have the budget for new cameras and an HD workflow. It has nothing to do with Blu-ray or Fox's home video department.

You can get it on BD for probly a few bucks more and get fewer discs, lossless audio, and maybe better upscaling than your TV or player could do - or just get it on DVD if the concept of an upscaled BD insults you so much.

Yeah. I like how many people in here say they will buy older SD shows on Bluray so they can have less discs and then bitch / will bitch about this. If there are fewer discs, I will be all about the Bluray so I don't have to switch discs as often.

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

Captain Charisma posted:

Precisely. When I say "Hey wouldn't it be cool to say, have a full season of The Simpsons on a disc?" I don't mean "Gee, I hope they just throw the season onto a couple of discs and then charge regular Blu-Ray prices!!!!" I mean that I hope they condense it into one disc and a lower price. This is just the worst of both worlds.

I don't see how a lowered price is too reasonable. It is from a consumers '1 disc costs less than 5 discs' but for the company they likely see it as a benefit to the consumer to have on one disc. When I made my first comment I didn't know the price was +$10 over the DVD, so my comments don't really stand up with that knowledge. I would gladly pay the same price as the DVDs to get the seasons on one disc if possible.

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

Sporadic posted:

If they can sell a movie burned on a dual layer disc for $20-25, it isn't that crazy to expect a season of a TV show shot in SD to cost the same...all on one disc.

I mean, seriously, look at this.

It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia: Season Five on 3 DVD - $25.99

It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia: Season Five on 2 BR - $34.99

gently caress them. That is not only cheap/lazy using single layer discs but a clear cash grab to rip off Blu-Ray fans.

I gotcha. I stand in full agreement.

In other news, I got my Moon bluray today, can't wait to watch it. The theater I saw it in had it misframed and with lovely sound.

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

Ramen Noodles posted:

If you have a Borders nearby, and a Borders card, you should check out their Blu Ray deal. Everything 50% off. Just nabbed the Life discs for $37.

Is there a coupon I need to print? I couldn't find any mention of a Bluray deal on their site.

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

Agreed posted:

Same here, really glad they're following the "get that poo poo into retailers ASAP" model rather than sitting on it. I heard such good things about it, but the nearest theater is an hour away. gently caress the middle of nowhere.

Edit: Also I have recently rediscovered that I really love Disney movies :gay: So I guess I'm about to be out a lot of money, once I make some money, somehow, to afford a bunch of Disney movies on BD.

A few of my friends make fun of me for buying Disney movies. I partially explain it off as 'when I have kids I will want to have these, and with the Disney Vault it is better to just suck it up and get them now than wait', but I am also a sucker for animation in HD and Disney has been doing their restores really drat well.

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

Red posted:

(which, even if you don't have a Blu-Ray player, why wouldn't you buy the combo pack?).

You'd be surprised. I have friends who want a blu-ray player but still don't buy the combo packs...

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

Red posted:

Trilogy? But... there are four movies...

Isn't the fourth out on bluray already / why would anyone want it?

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

I hope the trivia track is a bit less intrusive than on Shaun of the Dead. That crap covers like 1/4 of the screen with a giant black box. Hopefully these are not on a solid background like that, completely unnecessary.

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

There is a 50% off coupon at Borders for blurays and I just picked up Walkabout. Haven't seen it before, but everything I have read / seen makes it look like a great blind buy.

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

doctor thodt posted:

The picture honestly isn't that bad; some people just feel like it's a mote duller than the theatrical presentation, color-wise. There's no way it'll warrant a re-release though.
That is such a shame though. It is like if Speed Racer was less vibrant on bluray.

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

How long is the Criteron sale going on? I really, really want Montery Pop Festival but can't afford it until some paychecks come in.

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

I honestly doubt the price would have been all that different were Fantasia 2000 not included.

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

Harlock posted:

Amazon's schedule of 'Black Friday' DVD/BD deals:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html/ref=s9_al_gw_feat?ie=UTF8&docId=1000452571

I find it interesting that Back to the Future is going to be featured the Monday after Thanksgiving.

Kind of disappointing how many appear to be DVD version only. Hopefully that page is just ambiguous, but all the ones explicitly labeled as [Blu-ray] make me think otherwise.

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

Sporadic posted:

Amazon is having a massive sale on a ton of Blu-Rays

I spent too much. But $8 each for the Lord of the Rings movies was too good to pass up. And the completionist in me needed those Futurama movies. And and and. I basically had to pull myself away or would have gotten probably 12 or so instead of the 8 I got.

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

Nate RFB posted:

I used to love Deep Discount, but yeah they're pretty lovely these days. Maybe they always were and I just got lucky before. Not only do they take forever to ship, but the packaging they use is awful and has led to at least 2 of my purchases to be damaged in transit. Their prices aren't even all that much better than what Amazon offers these days.

I loved them back in 2003 or so. Shipping always only took a few days to get to me. And then all of a sudden one day it changed and started taking so long that I have been avoiding them unless absolutely necessary for years. Customer service sucks, processing time to get a shipment out to you sucks, packaging sucks. Rarely is it worth saving a few bucks to me to order through them nowadays.

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Because they cover them in stickers, they break up the flush look of a row of normal cases, they bend and scratch easily, and most times they're just the same image as the actual cover art but with a ton of critic quotes plastered all over.

I typically throw them out unless they're part of the case, like the Star Trek one.

I throw all mine out unless they have different art (like Star Trek and I think the Dark Knight). Even those I only keep reluctantly.

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

Count me in on preferring the PS3 Netflix interface to that on Wii or 360. By a decent margin.

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

FitFortDanga posted:

I wish there was a Blu-Ray only option. These Blu-Ray/DVD combos drive me loving nuts.

I like it with Disney movies because I can give those to whichever set of my nieces do not yet have that movie. It is a waste of resources in most other cases, even though I liked the idea of having a DVD copy of the movies at first. I realized I have never actually used one.

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

Jeff Wiiver posted:

Having never seen either movie, what the gently caress is this guy talking about?

Ridley Scott used random slomo at any and every point he possibly can, forums poster blames slomo on the ratings board and not Ridley Scott's overuse of it in everything he does.

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

Criminal Minded posted:

I hate how they take the coupon from the MSRP and not the actual price that it sells at.

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

ApexAftermath posted:

I haven't checked but if it's off the MSRP then I bet they are still like 25-30 dollars after discount. You could get them for that price at best buy and not have to wait for something to ship. I hate these "deals that really aren't deals". Barnes and Nobles is also an offender of this.

It comes out to $20. So it is still a decent price, but not so enticing that I have to order it now when I should probably hold on to that $20.

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

Loving these Criterion sales. Been allocating $100 to each one, which isn't that much setting aside some money each month. I have taken a few blind shots (Walkabout, For All Mankind, Seven Samurai, Sanjuro/Yojimbo) and picking up the ones I have seen and know I want to own. Next time I should be up to pretty much blind buying, which with Criterion is pretty much a guaranteed fun experience.

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

Fag Boy Jim posted:

yeah. You probably won't like all of them (Anderson is one of those directors where even people who love him usually dislike one of his films, though which one that is varies a ton), but they're all worth seeing.

I like them all pretty equally. Oddly Bottle Rocket was my favorite for years, and is still up there (behind The Life Aquatic) solely because I like the character interaction in it so much. Definitely not the best directed, missing a lot of what makes Wes Anderson films so fun to watch, doesn't have an incredible soundtrack like the rest, but what is there I love.

Darjeeling is probably my least favorite, but I still love it.

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

I have only seen the directors cut of 3 and went in knowing it was no Alien / Aliens and don't really mind it. I don't want to watch it often, but certainly don't hate it. Also I like the prison setting.

Edit: errr Extended. The longer version, whatever it is is called.

Asnorban fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Nov 30, 2011

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

Space_Butler posted:

Casablanca 70th Anniversary Ultimate Edition on March 27.

Going off memory, the supplements look mostly the same, but there's definitely some new ones in there. The article also notes that the transfer on this disc is off of an all-new 4K restoration. The most recent printing already looked quite stunning, so I'm not sure how much better this will look (in 1080p, at least. Nice to know they have a 4K transfer ready once 4k tv's start rolling out), but something to keep an eye on for those that didn't pick it up the first time around.

This is one of my favorite movies (if not my favorite outright) and I have put off buying it for some reason. Now I will put it off slightly longer.

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

Vintersorg posted:

Is that Sunshine blu exchange still working? I forgot to do it when the time came and popped it in a couple days ago. :(

Timely. I just did the same thing.

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

Are there any known problems with Walkabout freezing on PS3 or did I get a dud? Finally say down to watch this tonight and at :55 in it freezes.

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

DetoxP posted:

Yeah, that is a known problem, and at that time of the movie too. http://www.criterion.com/current/posts/1485-walkabout-manufacturing-problem

Well that sucks. Thanks, will send an email to that address on the off chance it gets fixed. Thought Criterion would be immune to crap like this.

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

Sir Lemming posted:

Amazon Goldbox deal right now is The Sound of Music 45th Anniversary boxed set for a ridiculous $25. I just got this less than a week ago for someone's birthday at the normal $60, so this stings a bit even though the timing simply wouldn't have worked. But it's a pretty sweet set. I haven't had a chance to watch it yet, but I know the video and audio quality are both supposed to be phenomenal.

My wife has planned a few days in Salzburg for our European vacation because of this movie. Good time for this to go on sale. Thanks!

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

ApexAftermath posted:

The wait for the blu wouldn't be so infuriating if there was at least an anamorphic release on dvd. Even when HBO HD plays it the picture is 4:3 pan n scan and looks horrendous. I feel like I've never once seen the film anywhere close to what it was meant to be seen like.

I rented it once, popped it in, popped it back out and returned it. Some day I will see this.

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

Jack Gladney posted:

I got one of these today as well. It's definitely not the UK edition, which I also own. The case only has Paramount logos, but the discs have Warner logos along with the Paramount ones.

Are these still available, and if so could you post a link? Looks like only the UK version is up on Amazon so far as I can tell from my phone.

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

Thanks! Put in an order for whatever time frame they may get more.

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

CPL593H posted:

Does anyone know when Barnes and Noble is doing their Criterion Sale? Someone here said they do one in July.

It's going on now. I highly recommend bookmarking the Criterion thread to keep up with their news, it tends to remain relatively separate from this one.

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

I ordered that same model a few weeks ago after my PS3 broke. My PS3 never had any issues playing 1080p on my TV, this model would not output at 1080p to the same TV. If you are on a Samsung TV (mine is maybe 5 years old) you may want to look at a different model.

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

Asked my wife and she went with Batman and One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest, with the Shining in close second. I think it would have to be those 3. She said Easy Rider 4th but that's kind of a small role and I think even As Good As It Gets would come up before that in most peoples minds.

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

Five Cent Deposit posted:

On the fly "3D conversion" (the kind they build into TVs) is a joke and anyone who thinks it looks good has terrible eyesight.

It works ok enough for cartoons. Sometimes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Are there 2 different versions of Chappie on Blu-Ray or something? I rented it from Redbox earlier and it was just a barebones disc, with just the movie, languages, scene selection and previews on the main menu, but on Blu-Ray.com, a bunch of extras are listed.

A lot of movies have rental versions with special features removed. I assume that is the case here (or they are on a second disc.)

• Locked thread