Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
blast0rama
Aug 13, 2003

Tingly.

BitterAvatar posted:

Oh god what's wrong with Gladiator? I didn't even realize it had issues.

The regular cut and extended cut scenes come from different masters, and the extended cut scenes are of a noticably different, better quality. The regular cut scenes are full of DNR and other modifications, which makes it look waxy and odd at times.

Granted, I probably wouldn't have noticed this unless the fine folks at AVSForums sperged out about it, but here we are...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blast0rama
Aug 13, 2003

Tingly.

fenix down posted:

Is Saving Private Ryan fixed yet?

From what I understand the fixed copies come out tomorrow.

blast0rama
Aug 13, 2003

Tingly.

Neo_Reloaded posted:

Getting the region free hardware mod for my BDP-83 was the best BD-related decision I ever made.

As a fellow BDP-83 owner - how easy or hard was it to install? And where did you get the mod from?

blast0rama
Aug 13, 2003

Tingly.

Captain Charisma posted:

Do we know which Pixar catalog title will mercifully, finally be released with TS3? I don't even care which one it is.

Considering it's been pushed back and back and back over the years, I'd guess Finding Nemo, but I'd greatly prefer The Incredibles.

blast0rama
Aug 13, 2003

Tingly.

doctor thodt posted:

How to Train Your Dragon pre-order is up at Amazon. No date is given yet, but it's priced pretty well at $18.99.

And....pre-ordered! Thanks for the heads up, man!

blast0rama
Aug 13, 2003

Tingly.

doctor thodt posted:

Up to $27.99 now. Hope OGB and I weren't the only ones who got in on this :cool:

And to think, I was considering waiting until I got home. Luckily (?) my account was logged in here at work, and one-click later, sold.

blast0rama
Aug 13, 2003

Tingly.

doctor thodt posted:

Anybody grabbing Insomnia? It contains movie cash for Inception...wish I had waited to buy my tickets for that, but it'll undoubtedly be a movie that warrants repeat viewings anyway.

As it's the one Nolan movie that I do not own, nor seen, I pre-ordered it blind. Should be in the mail today.

Hope I dig it! And that reminds me, I need to upgrade my copy of Memento...is the blu worth it?

blast0rama
Aug 13, 2003

Tingly.

doctor thodt posted:

e: Holy poo poo, Grindhouse is actually happening on October 5. Lock in your pre-orders because this price won't last.

http://www.amazon.com/Grindhouse-Special-Blu-ray-Danny-Trejo/dp/B003VMFWYI/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1279204973&sr=1-5

WOO! Day after my birthday, too! DONE AND DONE!

blast0rama
Aug 13, 2003

Tingly.

BitterAvatar posted:

You send in just the dvd but do you get the blu-ray and a new case back or just a blu-ray disc to be used in your old dvd case?

My understanding is a factory sealed blu-ray.

Which leads to the question - what the hell do you do with your empty DVD box?

blast0rama
Aug 13, 2003

Tingly.

doctor thodt posted:

Arrow (UK) is releasing Battle Royale on 11/15 with both cuts of the film.

Region free?

blast0rama
Aug 13, 2003

Tingly.

Aaaaaaaaaand here's me:

http://www.blu-ray.com/community/collection.php?member=ogb

Any suggestions for what I'm missing that I should pick up?

blast0rama
Aug 13, 2003

Tingly.

Scott Pilgrim vs. the World is set for release on November 9th.

blast0rama
Aug 13, 2003

Tingly.

SMP posted:

I got amazon to apply my $20 (supposed to be for game purchases only) to my scott pilgrim order. Just got Scott Pilgrim for $10.97 in total :v:

Probably going to wind up even cheaper, too, as I doubt it'll still be $28 on release day.

blast0rama
Aug 13, 2003

Tingly.

Tony Danza Claus posted:

do Amazon preorders ship on release date or before so you receive them on the release date?

The latter. I usually don't receive shipping confirmation until the day before, but since going Amazon Prime, I've received EVERY movie on release date.

blast0rama
Aug 13, 2003

Tingly.

Sporadic posted:

Iron Man 2 just dropped to $17.99 on Amazon. Good for the people who got hosed over on the WalMart deal. :)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003YHSE7W?ie=UTF8&tag=evdaisafi-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B003YHSE7W

Worth noting that it's missing all the extra features on disc 2 of the 3 disc set. (Disc 3 is a DVD/Digital Copy).

Disc 2 contains:

quote:

Ultimate Iron Man: The Making of Iron Man 2 (HD)
Rebuilding the Suit—An all-encompassing look at the beginning stages of this mammoth blockbuster.
A Return to Action—From Marvel Studios to the streets of Monaco, Jon Favreau takes viewers through the trials and triumphs of continuing Iron Man’s story.
Expanding the Universe—From the amazing sets of Stark Expo to Tony Stark’s home and beyond, the Marvel Universe continues to unfold into new and exciting places.
Building a Legacy—From filming to editing, scoring and visual effects, Favreau and his team face the challenges of bringing the sequel to the big screen.
Featurettes (HD):

* Creating Stark Expo—A look at how the sets and computer-generated elements combine to create the massive set piece.Practical Meets Digital—How the “practical” props inform the “digital” work that ultimately brings our hero to life on screen.
* Illustrated Origin: Nick Fury—A comprehensive journey into creating one of the most mysterious and influential heroes in the Marvel Universe.
* Illustrated Origin: Black Widow—An exciting look at the new femme fatale introduced in Iron Man 2.
* Illustrated Origin: War Machine—A look at the introduction of the character and how his friendship with Tony Stark resonates with fans.
* Working with DJ AM—Jon Favreau remembers working with Adam Goldstein.

Deleted Scenes with optional commentary by Jon Favreau (HD):

* Alternate Opening
* Coulson at the Senate
* The Sub-Orbital Jet
* Tony’s Workshop (extended)
* Natalie Wears the Gauntlet
* Flying Party Girl
* Mark II Security
* Element Rediscovered (extended)

Concept Art Gallery
Theatrical Trailers (HD)
Music Video: AC/DC “Shoot To Thrill” (HD)

Personally, I really want to see the making of doc, so I'm sticking with the 3-disc version.

blast0rama
Aug 13, 2003

Tingly.

TheSwami posted:

Boy, Get Him To The Greek REALLY wants me to log in to either Twitter or Facebook before I watch the movie or any of the special features. This is not a good trend.

Did you turn BD-Live off on your player?

blast0rama
Aug 13, 2003

Tingly.

doctor thodt posted:

Looks like the Alien Anthology has a book-style package similar to Rome and Spartacus.

Yeah, this is doing everything right that the Back to the Future set is doing wrong. As OCD as it is, I'm just looking at the BTTF set and seeing the plastic case cracking super easy. Guess I should hold out for solo releases on that one...

blast0rama
Aug 13, 2003

Tingly.

Bambi posted:

Arrow has confirmed that all 3 discs in the Battle Royale limited edition will be region-free Blu-Rays and all content will be playable on US players. I have a feeling a lot of people are going to miss out on this due to the extremely print. They might even all be claimed already, and everyone pre-ordering now is going to be SOL :ohdear:

WOOOO! SO glad that I made the gutsy move of pre-ordering early.

blast0rama
Aug 13, 2003

Tingly.

doctor thodt posted:

If this happens you can blame all the assholes on various HD forums ordering tens of copies each.

I blame those dudes for most things anyway. Honestly, I cannot stand to read posts about exclusive steelbooks, slipcovers, etc. Drives me insane.

blast0rama
Aug 13, 2003

Tingly.

doctor thodt posted:

Yeah, the only other thing that comes close is The Twilight Zone.

Wow, the packaging on Back to the Future is so beyond awful. It feels cheap as hell, the disc trays are some sort of totally unnecessary, complicated new contraption that seem like they were designed for the sole purpose of breaking your discs, and the digipak is so loose in the slipcover that it slides right out.

So my idea of "Operation: Wait For Single Packs" is a smart one?

blast0rama
Aug 13, 2003

Tingly.

Maybe I'm crazy, but I watched SCOTT PILGRIM, and noticed none of the "dark image" issues people complained about. Looked great to me!

Also: any thoughts on PREDATORS?

blast0rama
Aug 13, 2003

Tingly.

Bambi posted:

The audio/video are pretty much reference-grade and there's a nice collection of extras, including a fairly interesting commentary track and a meaty, 40-minute making-of in full 1080p. It's really just a question of whether you like the movie enough to buy it.

A friend rented the DVD, and it seemed fun enough (I thought the end was a bit anti-climatic), but otherwise I really enjoyed it. The real bummer was how sort of smeary it was blown up onto an HDTV, being a particularly dark film.

blast0rama
Aug 13, 2003

Tingly.

sportsgenius86 posted:

haha DVD Talk is going to be in a rage with sperglords going off about how "THIS ISN'T HOW IT WAS BROADCAST IN THEATERS SO THIS ISN'T HOW IT SHOULD BE ON MY BLU-RAY PLAYER GODDDAMMMMITTT"

There were people over there that were actually flipping out hardcore about how a little BR pop up menu came up during the credits of Beauty and the Beast to lead the viewer toward a documentary about the making of the film.

That's somewhat better than the people over at Blu-Ray.com, where every thread devolves into "DOES IT COME WITH A SLIP? NO SLIP=NO SALE" and/or "LOOKS SWEET, BUT $20 IS TOO HIGH, I'LL WAIT TIL BLACK FRIDAY :smug:", because, as we all know, EVERY TITLE EVER goes on sale on Black Friday. Ugh. I should just stick to here for news/views/deals.

blast0rama
Aug 13, 2003

Tingly.

Best Buy Black Friday Blu-Ray Deals:

quote:

$12.99 Titles

Book of Eli
Hangover
District 9
Cloudy with a chance of meatballs
Couples Retreat
Funny People
Ninja Assassin
The Blind Side
Clash of the Titans

$10 titles

Prince of Persia
Saving Private Ryan
Predators
Kick rear end
The Killers
Day Breakers
Wolverine Origins
Taken
Role Models
Public Enemies
Boondock Saints
Legion
From Paris With Love

$7.99 titles

Brooklyn's Finest
Watchmen
I am Legend
The Departed
Hancock
The Crazies
Superbad
The Wrestler
Reservoir Dogs
Law Abiding Citizen
Gran Torino
White out
Big Daddy
V for Vendetta

I am in for a $10 copy of Predators and Saving Private Ryan, for sure. Here's hoping Amazon price matches everyone again, so that I can just order it from the comfort of my laptop.

blast0rama
Aug 13, 2003

Tingly.

Colonel Whitey posted:

How exactly does the price matching work with Amazon? Do they just automatically lower their prices to match Best Buy et al., or do you have to do something like enter a code or scan an ad to get the price?

Last year, Amazon just seemingly had the EXACT prices that say, Best Buy, Target, etc. did.

I'm pretty sure they have a team that scours the Black Friday deal sites to match or beat them.

blast0rama
Aug 13, 2003

Tingly.

doctor thodt posted:

Arrow's Battle Royale has been pushed back to December 13 :(

I had a feeling, considering how quiet they were about the final feature of the box set...

blast0rama
Aug 13, 2003

Tingly.

Besides, as we all know, if it doesn't come with a slipcover, there's no reason to buy it.

And I'm not gonna pay more than $17.

And it better be on sale on Black Friday.

Digibooks suck.

...did I hit all of the remaining frustrating blu-ray owner stereotypes?

blast0rama
Aug 13, 2003

Tingly.

I realize though, I'm part of the problem, as I won't replace my DVD copy of BACK TO THE FUTURE with the Blu-Ray set due to the weird packaging.

But I guess that's minor, compared to the whole.

blast0rama
Aug 13, 2003

Tingly.

I'm not crapping on those who get great deals on blu-rays, because I attempt to be as thrifty as possible with this wasteful hobby of mine.

But there are some dudes who like, the DAY a title is released, post "I SURE HOPE SOMEONE HAS IT FOR <$15 DAY ONE." When the MSRP is like, $35, and it wasn't a huge movie.

It's just silly.

blast0rama
Aug 13, 2003

Tingly.

sportsgenius86 posted:

good lord

I'm confused as to what occupation someone could have that a) allows them to buy that many blu-rays and b) gives them ample time to watch them

Yeah, what DO you do, Thodt? I ask respectfully, of course.

blast0rama
Aug 13, 2003

Tingly.

From what I recall, if you leave an item in your cart, the price does fluctuate appropriately with the changes on Amazon.com proper.

EDIT: Yep!

http://www.mynxzilla.com/2009/12/making-most-of-your-amazon-cart-lets.html

blast0rama
Aug 13, 2003

Tingly.

Bambi posted:

Target will have the Inception combo pack for $17.99 on release week ($24.99 at Amazon and Best Buy). Best Buy's exclusive version is $29.99 and contains "Inception: The Shooting Script" (described as "the director's initial handwritten notes of the Inception plot"). Hardly sounds worth an extra $12, but there you have it.

Even money says that Amazon matches that.

I love when retailers battle over prices.

blast0rama
Aug 13, 2003

Tingly.

Bambi posted:

- Audio commentary by Christopher Nolan with multiple endings
- Chronological Edit
- IFC Interview with Christopher Nolan
- "Anatomy of a Scene" TV Special
- "Memento Mori" Short Story
- 6 Galleries including the Shooting Script
- Theatrical Trailers and TV Spots

Best part? List price is only $19.99

AWESOME. February 22nd release date, for anyone else wondering/excited.

blast0rama
Aug 13, 2003

Tingly.

Joe Don Baker posted:

Pre-ordered. :ughh:

Makes two of us.

blast0rama
Aug 13, 2003

Tingly.

Butthole Prince posted:

Why do Blu-Ray discs not allow me to 'resume' as I could with DVDs?

What I'm talking about is if I put in a disc and watch, say, 45 minutes, and then turn the power off. On my DVD player, I could turn the power back on and it would resume where I left off. With Blu-Ray, it seems that 80% of the time I try this, it starts back at the beginning like I had inserted a new disc. Some movies resume right where I left off, and even less often, some discs pop up with a 'Resume Playback?' prompt.

My player doesn't have a bookmark feature that I am able to locate.

This is due to the lovely java controls that some, but NOT ALL, discs use.

Basically, there isn't a set, uniform way to master a Blu-Ray disc, so different companies use different things for different discs. It's kinda ridiculous.

blast0rama
Aug 13, 2003

Tingly.

Criminal Minded posted:

Which is the blu-ray edition of Terminator 2 to get? There's so loving many I can never keep straight which one is supposed to be the best.

You want the Skynet Edition.

blast0rama
Aug 13, 2003

Tingly.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Dumbo is definitely out on Blu Ray, there was a review of it in Empire last Summer.

Not out in the US yet. UK and Mexico, I believe?

blast0rama
Aug 13, 2003

Tingly.

RichterIX posted:

Hopefully this is good news for those of us excited about the Mask of the Phantasm disc that was announced.

MASK OF THE PHANTASM WAS ANNOUNCED?! Oh HELL YES.

blast0rama
Aug 13, 2003

Tingly.

Ineffiable posted:

Why is it coming out on Friday? Isn't the norm Tuesday for entertainment releases?

For whatever reason, family films tend to skew towards Friday releases, I've never known why (HOW TO TRAIN YOUR DRAGON was a Friday release, for example).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blast0rama
Aug 13, 2003

Tingly.

fenix down posted:

Has anyone heard whether or not the upcoming Star Wars blu rays will be special edition only?

I expect them to be but here's hoping.

SE only. I think the official line is something along the lines of that's the ONLY version to Lucasfilm.

• Locked thread