Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

sportsgenius86 posted:

Apparently the issue lasts a minute at the most and isn't incredibly noticeable even when it is there, according to people on blu-ray.com.

I'm buying it anyway. Worst comes to worst, they do the replacement deal, but it sounds like the problem isn't even worth the trouble.

It seems like some people are experiencing the issue, and others aren't. So it could just be a bad batch. Either way I just got my copy in the mail and can't wait until I get home from work to check it out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

FitFortDanga posted:

Daybreakers review at DVDBeaver

Are there boobs? Yes.

Hahaha. That's literally the only nudity in the movie and the shot is about 2 seconds long.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

FitFortDanga posted:

As everyone feared, Storaro got his greasy mitts on Apocalypse Now for the new HD remaster, loving with the aspect ratio because clearly "The Last Supper" should be the guideline for all movies or something.

Wow, that's incredibly bizarre. Is there even anything else out there, dvd, blu-ray, whatever, that has an aspect ratio of 2:1?

That seems so random.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Bambi posted:

WB/BBC are releasing Wonders of the Solar System on 9/7, and Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon is getting a new release on 7/27. The only differences seem to be that the new disc has an additional commentary track and a different audio codec (TrueHD versus uncompressed PCM - weird decision).

So Crouching Tiger is finally being released as a stand alone? I've been waiting for quite a while to own it on blu.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Bambi posted:

It was already released as a standalone a couple of months ago, which makes this new release a bit puzzling.

Wait, in the US? Amazon doesn't have any copies in stock, you have to buy from a 3rd party.

Edit: And Best Buy lists it as a pre-order.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

doctor thodt posted:

Glee Season 1 9/14 with a $89.99 MSRP...yeowch.

Aren't all full seasons of shows on blu-ray around there in MSRP?

All the retailers just end up selling them around $50-$70 anyways and calling it a "massive discount".

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Agreed posted:

What the hell, are they basically copying the Apatow formula as far as casting goes?

What is that movie? :psyduck:

I actually thought it wasn't half bad. It's very similar to Apatow films, but I thought both the leads pulled their parts off pretty well.

Mind you I saw it for free at a screening.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Space_Butler posted:

I don't care how bad the transfer is gonna be, I am all over Escape from New York.

Me too. I thought The Thing looked pretty fantastic on blu, honestly.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Tony Danza Claus posted:

Irreversible comes with a tiny fire extinguisher.

Are you loving serious?

That's the most tasteless trinket I've ever heard.

I wonder if The Accused comes with a miniature pinball machine.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

doctor thodt posted:

Oh hey, Mandy Lane fans. Is it just me or did this smarter-than-average slasher flick go almost totally unnoticed in the States?

It's got a really great final 15 minutes but most of the middle of the film is kind of shallow and aimless. Amber Heard gives a great performance though.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Tony Danza Claus posted:

Going back a few weeks, I forgot how bleak War of the Worlds is.

As for the bluray, the sound is incredible. The picture goes back and forth between amazing and way-too-much-Spielberg-grain. There's a shot in the backyard before the aliens that looks like it was archive footage from the 20's.

I'm usually not one to bitch about grain, but it's off the charts in this movie.

That's just how Spielberg rolls. I wonder if it's affected at all by the fact that he still edits his films the old fashioned way (literally cutting the film and taping them together).

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

doctor thodt posted:

Stardust 9/7 (in Canada, but presumably the US will get it the same day)

Or instead of waiting 2.5 months you can just import it from the UK for $16.

Slowly but surely I'm running out of reasons to keep my HD DVD player.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Harlock posted:

For anyone doing the Gladiator BD exchange, be prepared to read the serial number on the inside of the disc. That was an eyesore.

Maybe I missed something. There's an exchange going on? What are the details of this?

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Sporadic posted:

Just a heads up, this ends tomorrow.

Dammit, I already have the entire series on dvd, I'm still on the fence whether it's worth it to upgrade.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Does anyone here have the BSG set on blu-ray? Would you say it was worth the upgrade from the dvds? I already own the entire series on dvd.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

I've never seen Metropolis. I take it the film is probably worth risking a blind buy?

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

sportsgenius86 posted:

generally once the novelty effect of his methods wears off, you're left with a pretty generic, forgettable movie most times and since his work is so spaced out, most people just forget the context of his films.

Really? He's only made like 7 movies over the past 25+ years and I'd say at least 4 of them still hold up as pretty classic works.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

doctor thodt posted:

With all of the high-profile stuff coming out next month, I doubt you're the only one, too :D

Se7en reviewed :flashfap:

So excited. I genuinely believe it's Fincher's best film and one of the best films of the 90's.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Did anyone pick up THX-1138 this week, and if so, how's it look?

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

doctor thodt posted:

Ok, so I got my hands on a copy of Glee. What I need to know is whether I should even bother watching any of it.

I love Glee. But yeah, I would recommend watching like 2 episodes, and your opinion of those will pretty much inform your opinion of the rest of the show. It's very consistent in what it is.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

doctor thodt posted:

My copy of Bright Star came in a lovely purple case:

So simple, yet so elegant~

I love that movie. Is there no US release?

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Volcasarus ReX posted:

Did you pick up Spartacus yet? If so what color is the stripe at the top of the slipcover? I got my copy from Best Buy and it's yellow instead of blu with a gold bluray logo that you can almost barely see. I'm just curious cause all of the pictures and reviews I saw online displayed a different box color scheme.

Got mine from Amazon and it is also gold along the top, not blue.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Just popped in Kick-rear end and was watching their "Kick-rear end View Mode" or whatever. What's hilarious is that in the interviews they show, the actors are allowed to say "gently caress" uncensored but they bleeped "oval office". I just heard one of the actors say "loving *bleep*" and I laughed out loud wondering what was so much worse than "gently caress" as to get bleeped.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Cemetry Gator posted:

I know someone made a Kubrick comment before, and I'll just throw this out there:

:words:

So yes, the widescreen version is usually the director approved version.

Except when it comes to Kubrick. :v:

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

I'm wondering if someone can tell me if there's any difference between the BSG complete series set and just buying the individual seasons on blu-ray. Right now the price difference is pretty significant on Amazon (around $86 for individual seasons excluding The Plan vs $129 for the box set) and I'm thinking of picking them up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Kull the Conqueror posted:

There is no difference. And The Plan is terrible anyway.

e: Also The Plan is actually included in the Complete Set.

The Plan is indeed loving awful which is why I excluded it from my calculations. I don't want to own that piece of poo poo.

So basically buying the seasons individually will slash the price by 1/3. Thanks. Gonna order now.

• Locked thread