Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Who in the gently caress is going to intentionally seek out a David Lynch movie only to half-way pay attention to it? :psyduck:

I realize he's not exactly an obscure filmmaker, but he does his thing in a pretty unique way and I don't think anyone would approach one of his films for casual, light viewing. No need to add an artificial layer of bullshit to it by not having chapters. Not really an artistic statement in my view.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

From the James Cameron penises Aliens thread:

Xenomrph posted:

Buckle up folks, here's some info from James Cameron regarding the new 'Aliens' blu-ray release.

* Cameron personally remastered Aliens with the same colourist he used on Avatar. In his words, it’s spectacular.
* They de-noised it, de-grained it, up-rezed it and colour corrected every single frame.
* He thinks it looks better than it looked in theatres.
* This was done to the Special Edition.

:tviv:

Credit to AvPGalaxy.net for the heads up. :)

I don't like bullet point number two. That could be a pretty lovely bullet point. I'll have to wait and see how it turns out, but apart from color-correction with a good colorist, the rest of that sounds like it could be wax-personizing, detail-stripping, and sharpening, which would all kinda suck rear end. Don't want to get too bummed about it before it actually hits and we have an idea of what it looks like, though. I expressed some hope in that thread and will repeat here - surely if Cameron is personally overseeing the process, he wouldn't allow his movie to be butchered, would he?

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The thing is, that grain is there. Aliens is, as you say, grainy. You take out the grain, it's not like there's film underneath it they can get to magically somehow. If you had something that did nothing but literally remove grain, there'd be perpetual streaks of empty space from where grain used to be. So grain removal also involves replacing the grain with something artificial that tries to match its surroundings as closely as possible but as we all know the state of the art loving sucks and anyway the whole problem is that the grain is part of the film. It's hard to come up with any coherent analogies, it's just part of the picture. To make an HD master you want a really detailed transfer that takes advantage of the expanded bandwidth and improved compression algorithms we have now. Removing details on purpose like that only looks passingly good when done subtly, and looks awful when done to a huge degree. See Predator: Ultimate Hunter edition for the worst example I've ever personally seen.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

I would almost kill a man for a great BD of The Pillow Book. Greenaway rules. That would be so gorgeous.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

While I don't really like the idea of multiple features on one disc, just out of principle, the bitrate chart seems all over the place much moreso than most films. Tons of peaks and valleys, with peaks as high as the format currently permits (or so it seems from just eyeballing the graph). I'm guessing the encoding process was working especially hard to give the complex shots what they needed, while much more aggressively compressing what it was programmed to figure it could get away with. (This language is highly general and sucks, but I think you guys know what I mean)

I guess what I mean is that if you've just gotta fit a few movies onto one BD, that seems like the best way to do it. They should all look a heck of a lot better than they would on individual DVDs, with modern compression algorithms and a respectably higher average bitrate at least double that of the biggest features on DL DVDs, and really closer to triple since so many features are around 5GB. Not trying to start back up any kind of higher bitrate ALWAYS equals higher quality stuff from the start of the thread, you guys were right about all that, I yield - but when we're talking about BD films with average bitrates well below the industry standard in order to accomplish an unorthodox goal I think it gets interesting.

I don't know anything about the production itself so I don't know if it's something I should try to run out and get or what. At a hair under $30, the price seems at on the one hand a little high, but on the other pretty fair. High because I remember that I got Planet Earth on BD for just $20 more than that, roughly, and it has a ton of BDs in it; but fair, because three BD features would usually run closer to $60. Ultimately, though, I don't think the trade-offs are worth it.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

drat, 100% claimed already. I was going to jump on that. Oh well.

How are the BDs of those, anyway? I could pick up two of them locally for about $30. I love Labyrinth and Mirrormask, I've got them on DVD, but I haven't seen The Dark Crystal since I was a kid. I remember Mirrormask seemed like its production values weren't uniformly high even though it had some amazingly evocative imagery... Sometimes CG that isn't up to the highest standards of quality looks worse when it makes the transition to high definition, but then I remember things like the pair of living statue things that just blow me away on the DVD, and I wonder if it holds up on BD.

Agreed fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Aug 21, 2010

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Proceeding to checkout, it wants to charge me the full $60+, and it says "Sold Out!" on my view of the lightning deal page.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

doctor thodt posted:

Sony

Enough said. I'll definitely pick them up.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

doctor thodt posted:

Aliens screenshots have surfaced. Contrary to worries raised by James Cameron, it looks loving gorgeous.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1258568&page=29

Yeah, clearly my concerns have been thoroughly rebuked. But...

penismightier posted:

Looks real good. I swear to god, James Cameron has made a career out of people forgetting that he knows what he's doing.

... this isn't really the issue, he made it sound like they were doing Bad Things to it in his enthusiastic description of the digital noise reduction and grain removal and all that. Of course, then it turned out absolutely friggin' amazing, and I feel bad for doubting him, but he's the one who put the fear into me in the first place :shobon:

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

doctor thodt posted:

I fixed it before you posted :mad: And yes, it's not a fact I'm proud of, but I have a hard time saying no to free movies even if I'll never watch them, and an even harder time mustering up the effort to eBay something that'll only net me a few dollars after all expenses are paid.

Assuming the average length of movies in your collection is an hour and a half, you have 112.5 days worth of watching, if you sat down and watched them contiguously. :psyduck:

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

I have about twenty five, maybe thirty. I didn't start buying BDs 'til we put together our first home theater setup and based it around a PS3, the last of the stuff showed up in December. After that, we just kind of buy what looks good. We have a lot of DVDs from the dark, before-time of non-HD, but who cares about DVDs anymore (I care, drat it, the PS3 has great upscaling and everything looks so pretty).

But I have a bunch of music gear, anyone want to trade good blu-rays for some rad boutique pedals? :v:

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

doctor thodt posted:

Iron Man 2 is $15 at walmart.com for whoever is interested:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/14894256?povid=cat616859-env256652-module261256-rLink2

What the gently caress, Iron Man 1 still runs $30 at my local Wal-Mart. It's kept me off buying it. I'll spend $30 for both, but not for just one.

Looking forward to picking them up, but now's not the time. Hope the price on it stays reasonable 'til payday :)

I picked up Labyrinth on your suggestion, and I am very pleased, hell of a job on the transfer. Not that I doubted your expertise in matters BD.

I went out on a limb and nabbed Lost Boys and 2001 at the same time because they were just $10. Lost Boys was alright, pretty much a standard transfer as far as I could tell, not a lot of detail obscuring DNR or whatever but also not really taking full advantage of what BD can deliver; it was actually surprisingly inconsistent in quality, and I felt there were some color issues at parts, too. All the extras are there, which is cool, though in standard definition so just copied over from the DVD. It is definitely still a really fun movie, regardless, and an upgrade from the DVD for sure.

I haven't watched 2001 yet. It's one of my favorite films ever, definitely top two Kubrick as well; will it be as rewarding of a watch as I hope on BD? If 2001 was botched I am going to :qq:

I picked up The Terminator and Terminator 2: Judgment Day recently as well. I'm not totally sold on the transfers there, but I wasn't watching especially critically since I haven't seen the movies in some time and they're still a treat, it was just nice to see Cameron back when he was hungry. Anything I should be aware of quality-wise with them? It just seemed like there was suspiciously little grain considering the source material.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Traxxus posted:

If you liked them why are you going looking for problems with it, who cares what others said. And 2001 is excellent.

Wal-Mart has a history of blowing out poor transfers that later get replaced by better ones, so I'm a bit wary of the price on these. I got one in a pack with Universal Soldier for ten bucks total. I care about picture quality, and he's had experience with practically everything that CAN be owned on Blu-Ray, so in passing I figured I'd ask him.

Thanks for the answer regarding 2001. Looking forward to seeing it, and also to showing it to my wife for the first time.

• Locked thread