Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neo_Reloaded
Feb 27, 2004
Something from Nothing

Bambi posted:

Fuckin lolling at how many people on blu-ray.com refuse to exchange their Gladiator discs because they're pleased as punch with what they have now and refuse to believe it has been improved in any way/shape/form.

And where the heck would this be? I'm looking at the Gladiator thread at blu-ray.com, and there's like one guy arguing "Well I want to keep the old disc because the colors are more accurate", and a hundred other people giving us up-to-the-minute status updates about what the Paramount exchange hotline person told them and how far along they are in procuring an envelope and stamps to send their disc in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo_Reloaded
Feb 27, 2004
Something from Nothing
And it would appear we aren't getting Finding Nemo this year either... Toy Story 3 was announced alongside the Mattor shorts - no Finding Nemo mention whatsoever. I'm really starting to get pissed about this one - it's been rumored every 6 months since 2008.

Neo_Reloaded
Feb 27, 2004
Something from Nothing

Paul Allen posted:

gently caress Nemo. Where the hell is my Blu Ray of The Incredibles?????

Well I'm sure plenty agree on principle, but there has never been ANY rumor about The Incredibles coming out on BD anytime soon. Whereas there have been near constant rumors about Nemo (Amazon listings and dates, "inside sources," even "Coming Fall 2008" adverts at Disney events in 2008).

Neo_Reloaded
Feb 27, 2004
Something from Nothing

Egbert Souse posted:

Why not just offer the original cuts with unrestored, but fresh 1080p scans from the best available elements? They could be marketed as "archival editions" as if the viewer were watching an original 35mm print.

That is a logical course of action. But unfortunately I don't think there are, shall we say, practical reasons behind George's resistance.

Neo_Reloaded
Feb 27, 2004
Something from Nothing

Egbert Souse posted:

and none of the ugly frame blowups in the Pastoral segment to hide a black centaur.

Um good luck with that. Walt himself wanted that change, so I don't see any chance of a reversal.

Neo_Reloaded
Feb 27, 2004
Something from Nothing

Egbert Souse posted:

It's debated on that, considering the first re-release with the changes was after his death and simply jump-cut out the offending footage. There was also a mid-1960s Disneyland episode that had the entire Pastoral segment uncut. Disney can at least task their animation department to digitally re-animate the character to less offensive instead of making the image quality turn to poo poo by cropping the frame.

The 2000 DVD's alterations were probably a last minute decision since the version history notes on the Legacy supplement DVD actually mentions the Pastoral edits on the 1967-1990 versions and NOT being made to the 2000 version. The touch-ups are amateurish at best (you can see mattes wiggling on a few shots and one shot looks like they used clone stamp in Photoshop).

I'm not saying you're wrong for wanting it uncut, or wrong for wanting a better job disguising it - I just don't think it's likely. It'll most likely be how it was on the last DVD.

Neo_Reloaded
Feb 27, 2004
Something from Nothing
Apparently at least portions of Lionsgate's October 5th wave is already on shelves at Best Buy, possibly as another set of 'Best Buy exclusives.' People at Blu-ray.com have reported seeing Blair Witch Project, Bad Lieutenant, Wonderland, and High Tension. The posts are far from definitive, so others may be out there as well.

Neo_Reloaded
Feb 27, 2004
Something from Nothing

FitFortDanga posted:

I'm more concerned about space than price.

What? The 4-disc case used by Disney is like 2-3 mm thicker than a standard one.

Neo_Reloaded
Feb 27, 2004
Something from Nothing

doctor thodt posted:

Masters of Cinema is offering a limited steelbook pre-order for Metropolis that comes with a free t-shirt. If you want one, I'd recommend ordering it 5 minutes ago.

http://www.eurekavideo.co.uk/offers/metrop.html

Remember that the UK release will be region B locked.

Thanks for posting this - ordered. Glad I checked the forums one last time before heading to campus.

Neo_Reloaded
Feb 27, 2004
Something from Nothing

doctor thodt posted:

I'm ten minutes into Charade and I just had to pause it to say that this disc is blowing my mind. Bravo, Criterion.

I still haven't come to terms with the fact that I'll be watching The Thin Red Line in glorious HD in a couple of weeks.

Is this another "Best Buy had it out early" situations?

Neo_Reloaded
Feb 27, 2004
Something from Nothing

doctor thodt posted:

Kill Bill is Miramax as well. The Blu-Rays were distributed by Disney.

Kill Bill theatrical cuts are Miramax. The Whole Bloody Affair is a Weinstein property. All in-development films left with the Weinsteins, and The Whole Bloody Affair was ruled as a separate entity from the theatricals, and it went along with the Weinsteins too.

Neo_Reloaded
Feb 27, 2004
Something from Nothing
The extras can, and are, given rear end-low encodes as their video fidelity isn't nearly as important. People are throwing "5 hours of HD video" around like all 5 of those hours need top notch 30 mbps+ encodes - not so.

Neo_Reloaded
Feb 27, 2004
Something from Nothing

OldSenileGuy posted:

Yeah, but I still won't be able to play any special features that are in SD, correct?

Major studios have not been using PAL on Blu-ray. All PAL territories are NTSC friendly now, so there's simply no need to - NTSC SD special features work in all territories the major studios distribute in. The only BDs you'll run into PAL-related issues with are ones from region B-exclusive studios (i.e. small European / Australian studios) like Momentum, Optimum, etc.

My guess? The UK Back To The Future BDs will be carbon copies of the US ones, maybe differing in a few dub / sub options.

Neo_Reloaded
Feb 27, 2004
Something from Nothing

doctor thodt posted:

The Darjeeling Limited reviewed. Looks like there's a glitch on this one that may warrant a new pressing.

I saw the pic with the supposed error, looks exactly like a lens flare.... Someone with the DVD said it was there as well. I mean, I guess good diligence to the reviewer for contacting Criterion about it, but I personally would have held the review until I got the response since the title doesn't come out for another month.

Neo_Reloaded
Feb 27, 2004
Something from Nothing

Captain Charisma posted:

It's not a bug, it's a feature :v:

Are you just trying to be funny, or are you seriously saying I'm putting spin on something you consider a flaw?

FitFortDanga posted:

What the hell ever happened to Taxi Driver and Citizen Kane? Weren't they (more or less) officially announced at one point?

Neither was ever officially announced. Retailers had put listings up for Taxi Driver a few times, but Sony has never officially said a word, and Sony insider Penton at Blu-ray.com said those listings were erroneous. And WB has mentioned Citizen Kane in press releases as "Coming in 2011", but no official date either.

Neo_Reloaded
Feb 27, 2004
Something from Nothing

Jack Does Jihad posted:

I know like absolutely nothing about these "blue rays" and what have you, but...

Region-free possibilities is really what's interesting me with blu-ray, since there are so few regions in the first place. And while alot of releases are region-free right now, I'm not sure I see that lasting for the long run. So I'm wondering if I bought a player that was region-free, and I had to update it to watch a movie, but that update also locked it out from being region-free...how much of a possibility is that? Would I be better off just buying region B and C players at some point?

This is a dumb post but I don't know anything about this stuff. Being able to reliably delve into other region dvds while at the same time being able to play blu-rays is a pretty big draw for me, so I was just wondering.

I can't speak for all players, as some may have region free capabilities via software holes or hacks, and those could be "fixed" with future firmwares.

However, for the player I am using, that isn't a problem. I have the Oppo BDP-83, and there's a simple hardware mod to make it region free for both BDs and DVDs - just needed a screwdriver, no soldering or anything of the kind required. The software of the player is untouched, so any firmware upgrades go through fine and the player is still region-free afterwards. The player is a bit pricy, but it's also one of the best players out there even without the easy region-free modification, so I think it's worth it. They have a cheaper version, the BDP-80, that also has a region-free mod available, though some of the premium features of the actual player are dropped.

Neo_Reloaded
Feb 27, 2004
Something from Nothing

Steve Yun posted:

Are those... clear blu-ray cases?

Have you never seen the Criterion Blu-ray releases? They had a custom clear case made by Scanovo - it's Blu-ray height, but thicker than normal, and the whole cover is usable like a DVD case (no plastic Blu-ray top portion).

Neo_Reloaded
Feb 27, 2004
Something from Nothing

Dudebro posted:

Anyone here have the Vengeance trilogy on blu-ray? Are there problems with it? From what I've seen on Amazon.com, something's wrong with the packaging. AV quality are all good?

I can't imagine what could be wrong with the packaging...

The first run (initally exclusive to Best Buy, later incorporated into the general release) came in a tin with a booklet. Inside were three normal BD cases. Subsequent runs feature the same 3 BD cases, but in a normal cardboard slip box instead of the tin, and presumably no booklet.

The discs are, for the most part, fine. The only misstep is with Oldboy, which features only a lossy audio track instead of the lossless one found on the original Oldboy standalone BD release. This was presumably an error, according to initial communication with the company, and a replacement program was said to be in the works. However months have gone by and there has been no word - the employee who was in contact with fans has since said he still hopes to get it done, but he has less power in the situation than he initially thought he did.

Still a great set in my opinion.

Neo_Reloaded
Feb 27, 2004
Something from Nothing

doctor thodt posted:

Note the lack of a director's cut, which Sly has said is definitely in the works, so expect another release somewhere down the line.

During the Rambo Director's Cut promotion, he said the Rambo DC was an idea he had after it was too late to get it on the initial disc, but the Expendables DC was already done so that wouldn't be an issue again. What the heck happened?

Neo_Reloaded
Feb 27, 2004
Something from Nothing

frumpsnake posted:

There was bad language in Avatar? :confused: Is there a "family video track" where they resolve their differences with a hug?

Some of that Na'vi talk was pretty racy, the subtitles for non-Na'vi speakers toned it down a little so you may have missed it. :eng101:

Neo_Reloaded
Feb 27, 2004
Something from Nothing

A Futbol Injustice posted:

I hate to say it, but the Masters of Cinema DVD release of House looks better than the Criterion Blu-Ray. It looks more vibrant, and while grain is always a plus, the lack of grain isn't a bad thing so long as it hasn't been filtered to look waxy. Plus, the DVD Beaver guy says the MoC DVD sounds better.

Weird...

The contrast / color timing of the releases are different, so I guess everyone will have their own subjective opinion about which looks better in that regard. But in terms of pure image quality and resolution, the DVD (of course) doesn't stand a chance. And from reading the review, the DVDBeaver guy says the two sound very similar with the BD perhaps being "marginally crisper" - I don't see anything about the DVD sounding better.

On the release front:
Lost in Translation 12/7 @ Amazon (still 1/4/2011 everywhere else)
Resident Evil: Afterlife - 2D and 3D versions, 12/28

Neo_Reloaded
Feb 27, 2004
Something from Nothing

royalejest posted:

Does anyone know why this is getting a Friday rather than Tuesday release?

Because this is just something Dreamworks Animation marketing likes to do for whatever reason.

Neo_Reloaded
Feb 27, 2004
Something from Nothing

friendo55 posted:

i'm also in red's shoes [no pun intended] and would like some info on a good cataloging site if someone can help out? right now i've just got mine all listed in an excel sheet.. it does the job but drat it took a lot of time to start up.

I'm pretty sure DVDAF.com has The Proposition as I own it and have it cataloged on my own DVDAF account. They probably just have the original cover, not the re-release one, but the BD discs are identical (they just felt the need to rip off Red Dead Redemption's cover style and repromote for some reason...).

BD.com has the most comprehensive as they have huge numbers of OCD slipcover and Steelbook enthusiasts constantly making GBS threads up every thread with that kind of nonsense. I prefer DVDAF's interface and the fact that they're also a DVD cataloging site, and I just submit entries for anything I have that DVDAF doesn't.

Neo_Reloaded fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Oct 15, 2010

Neo_Reloaded
Feb 27, 2004
Something from Nothing

Red posted:

The new release is a DVD/Blu-Ray combo - as far as I know, everything else is the same. DVDaf.com used to be very comprehensive, especially about foreign releases. Last I checked, I couldn't inlude my UK release of Downfall.

I've had Downfall from the UK in my collection for years, so I don't know why you're not seeing it.

DVDaf is not perfect - I find myself having to add a lot of new things myself. But once you learn the process it is very simple, and I prefer the general interface to the alternatives. But if the thought of adding your own entries to the database now and then is completely unattractive, then yeah I guess it's not for you.

Neo_Reloaded
Feb 27, 2004
Something from Nothing

doctor thodt posted:

The European set is a long fold-out digipak like the Quadrilogy DVD set.

edit: ruh roh, big error on RHPS

At least the original mono track has the correct audio. I don't like these 7.1 reimaginings for classic films anyway.

Neo_Reloaded
Feb 27, 2004
Something from Nothing
That BTTF US packaging looks terrible. Apparently they've been using that for TV shows as well - House s6, Office s6, and Heroes s4 all have it.

Can anyone in the UK with any of those sets chime in on whether Universal uses the lovely packaging there too? Obviously they didn't with the UK BTTF, but that may be because it's only 3 discs instead of 6. I'm curious about the UK House s6 release, specifically.

Neo_Reloaded
Feb 27, 2004
Something from Nothing
I'm hearing Jan. 25th for Enter The Void in the US - I hope it has both cuts like that beautiful French release. I'd just plan on importing that French one if it weren't for the fact that it comes from a studio that likes to force French subtitles...

Neo_Reloaded
Feb 27, 2004
Something from Nothing

Noxville posted:

I assume that on BluRay the Twilight Zone episodes that were shot on video still look like crap?

The only season with video episodes is season 2, which isn't out on Blu-ray yet - so we can't really speak from experience. But yes, I can't imagine them looking very good. It's only 5 episodes though, and the rest of the season should be as beautiful as season 1.

Neo_Reloaded
Feb 27, 2004
Something from Nothing

Jack Does Jihad posted:

Wonder how these will stack up to the Arrow Films releases...

Arrow is accused of releasing titles that look a little too clean, and people suspect DNR. Blue Underground is accused of releasing titles that look a little too dirty, and people suspect video noise or fake grain to cover a poor source. Not saying either of those allegations are true, but I suspect the general trend will continue (especially since the DNR allegations have already begun for Inferno, with some German studio releasing screenshots of their upcoming release that supposedly has a more intact grain field).

Neo_Reloaded
Feb 27, 2004
Something from Nothing

doctor thodt posted:

Scott Pilgrim vs. the World reviewed x2

3.5 pic? Universal :argh:

All of Universal's day-and-date releases have been great, and there's really no reason for this to be any different. For a brand new film, you just downrez and encode from the digital intermediate - there's really no room for transfering or mastering errors. Really all they could screw up is the encode, and that's not what those reviews sound like. More like the reviewers just subjectively didn't like the color timing or something. And looking at the screenshots in that first review, I really don't see anything wrong - exceptional detail, very fine grain/noise structure (the film was a mix of film and HD video footage), and nothing that looks out of place.

I really can't stand Blu-ray reviews anymore - even when they're spot on, it feels more like a broken clock being right twice a day than any real insight into the quality of the disc. I don't understand how these people who are supposedly professional reviewers continually get it wrong over and over again. I'm at the point where the only opinions I really care for are the occasional actual film people like Robert Harris who comment on Blu-rays - at least that gives a bit of real perspective on the source. All these reviewers saying "Well BTTF was an 80s film so its meant to have an odd digital sharpness to it" and then criticize the color timing of a brand new film with a digital intermediate are just too ridiculous.

Neo_Reloaded fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Oct 30, 2010

Neo_Reloaded
Feb 27, 2004
Something from Nothing
I can't make a full judgment until I see the disc on November 9th. But the screenshots don't look problematic to me - it looks how I remember. I feel like much of the movie was in dim environments, and the only colorful aspects were the CGI effects. It was nothing like Speed Racer.

Neo_Reloaded
Feb 27, 2004
Something from Nothing
Trailers are not representative of the final film. Regardless of whether or not there is a problem with the BD, the iTunes trailer is not going to be the smoking gun that lets us know.

Neo_Reloaded
Feb 27, 2004
Something from Nothing
Yeah, I definitely don't think anything looks "wrong" in the Blu-ray screens. As for different, that's tougher - it looks like I remember from the theater, but I'm not going to be ridiculous and assert that I have a photographic memory and can detect subtle differences seen in presentations months apart. Compared to the trailer, the difference is small, and I think the Blu-ray looks better. It's tough to say what is due to level differences, and what is just due to poor compression, but it looks like a lot of detail is blown out by the raised levels in the trailer and it's just not as pleasing a picture.

Neo_Reloaded
Feb 27, 2004
Something from Nothing

ApexAftermath posted:

Regardless of everything else you can't deny the blu is darker than the trailer picture. I can't be the only one that sees this.

Of course it's darker than the trailer.

Neo_Reloaded
Feb 27, 2004
Something from Nothing

sursumdeorsum posted:

gently caress The Abyss, wheres Titanic?

Cameron is working on a 3D version of it for a theatrical run. It'll presumably come out on Blu-ray after that.

Neo_Reloaded
Feb 27, 2004
Something from Nothing

sursumdeorsum posted:

Honestly, I see this coming out perfectly awesome and blowing everyone away while also setting the standard for 2d to 3d conversions. Cameron isn't going to release crappy 3d (I hope). Holy poo poo, it is going to take a TON of work to accomplish this in a proper fashion.

Well if 2D-3D can be done well, I certainly think Cameron is best poised to do it. In an interview, he mentioned they were waiting for Titanic conversion samples from something like 30 different conversion studios. They had received the first round of samples, and had asked for some changes and were waiting for those revisions. After that, they'd choose the best 12 or so and send each of them 1/12 of the film.

Neo_Reloaded
Feb 27, 2004
Something from Nothing
The newly-announced Midnight Legacy BD releases were supposed to come in custom red cases to match the artwork style, but supposedly they received a ton of complaints and switched back to standard blue so as to allow people to have "uniformity" on their shelf. I've seen people post similar complaints on Blu-ray.com all the time, and god do I hate those people.

At the same time, for this specific case (lol pun), I wouldn't be surprised if Midnight Legacy was just saying that as an easy way out once they found out how much custom red cases would cost. Everything about their talk seems exaggerated - they're pressing 30,000 copies of Alien 2 On Earth but its a strictly "limited edition" affair. :rolleyes:. And about the red cases, they received over 1000 emails complaining. I honestly don't believe they're even going to sell 1000 copies of the thing, nevermind have 1000 people email them in a period of two days over such a trivial issue. Knowing the history of the people behind the company, I wouldn't even be surprised if the thing just never comes out.

Neo_Reloaded
Feb 27, 2004
Something from Nothing

ApexAftermath posted:

Weird. I have a PS3 and this disc and I haven't run into this. What does it look like when it is happening? Are all PS3s affected or just some?

It's a result of a recent PS3 firmware. I too have played Sunshine on a PS3 in the past and it worked fine - but a bug was introduced sometime within the last 6 months or so that apparently screws with the PiP.

Neo_Reloaded
Feb 27, 2004
Something from Nothing

tickle monster posted:

Is the Masters of Cinema release expected to be region free? I almost bought it already for the case alone, but it'd be a shame if we couldn't get the better of the two versions in our region.

It's expected to be region locked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo_Reloaded
Feb 27, 2004
Something from Nothing

Kentucky Shark posted:

Sorry if this has already been asked, but is there any specific reason why REC is available on DVD but not BD in the U.S.?

Not really - just another title that never got a BD release. Sony pushed it out on DVD to coincide with their remake, Quarantine (which did get a BD release), but they just didn't feel it was worth the money/effort to put a BD out for the original as well.

• Locked thread