Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Goddamn Videodronme! I watched it for the first time a couple months ago and it instantly became one of my favorite films. I was so surprised to learn it was filmed in Canada, we do drat good up here. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

For people who don't know, Sideshow Collectibles doesn't gently caress around. That case is going to be very durable and expensive. Im not a huge Alien fan (movies are great but i'm a Predator guy), so the slick boxset is nice. :)

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

It may be the weakest but it's not an abortion of a film, it's at least enjoyable from start to finish. Plus the scene of Ripley walking into the room with all the failed clones is very cool to see.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Well, I know what everyone is going to want this xmas.

Both Alien and Aliens look loving INSANE!

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I want to be you Doctor. :(

I hate being in school and not having a job, so many loving movies I need to get. Hopefully this all pays off and i'll just bum rush a online store with a $1,000 order. :3:

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Fayez Butts posted:

no way

Please tell me this is loving real.

Please.

This is the best worst movie and all my friends love it.

"You're tearing me apart Lisa!"

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

doctor thodt posted:

Lost in Translation reviewed

I've been waiting forever for this and didn't even know it was coming out on blu. I've been listening to the soundtrack again this week and hearing about this is just awesome.

Cannot wait to get it! :D

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I hope the entire package is green like the hulk.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I cannot.

loving.

Believe.

HOW GOOD ALIEN AND ALIENS LOOKS!

Holy poo poo! Like they were made yesterday, just so loving crisp and ... ugh, wow. I love em! The book is so goddamn nice too, what a way to package things!

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Jesus christ that is tacky as gently caress.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

JohnWilkesGoonth posted:

Reason I hate digibooks #100: All the President's Men is 25 dollars while Network (a normal release) is 15.

If $10 is going to break the bank you're in the wrong hobby.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Just get that loving movie out! I've avoided buying it on DVD and now Blu just because I want a nice loving set... with maybe the colorized Crazy 88 fight.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Yeah, my brother picked that up for me today and Bambi since it was only $10 bucks for T2 at HMV in Canada.

Is this edition okay (Skynet)?

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Was at Wal-mart yesterday to pick up Watchmen directors cut for only $10 loving bucks, what a steal, even if the movie puts me to sleep.

Question though, they had Wizard of Oz for $15. I was wondering if this had everything from the giant box set without all the fluff and giant box?

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Sporadic posted:

I'm pretty sure it is only disc 1 out of the three disc boxset.

There is a standalone version with all three discs though.

1 disc = http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ASIN=B00388PK1A
3 disc = http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ASIN=B002VWNIEK

Thanks for that! I was a bit wary and glad I didn't jump to buy it.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

GonSmithe posted:

I really don't understand blu-ray.com's review of TRON:
http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Tron-Blu-ray/10546/#Review

He goes on and on about just how faithful it is (acting as if it's a bad thing?) and then gives it a 4.0 for quality.
Yes, the movie is incredibly dated. Yes, it looks funny and silly nowadays. If the blu-ray takes that, and makes it look the best it can, is it not doing its job completely? The quality of the effects in the movie should not effect the way in which the video quality is graded.

I'd much rather have this perfect transfer of TRON than some DNR'd Frankenstein's monster of a blu-ray.

Holy hell that looks beautiful. I need a bigger TV than 40", this won't due for such a gorgeous film. LOOK AT HOW CRISP THAT IS!

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I have to get that Fear version since I lent my DVD criterion to my friends ex-gf and never heard from her again.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

frumpsnake posted:

It was also a particularly thin negative because Willis shot it underexposed so that no one could alter the film and make it brighter later.

My copy (and the customer images on Amazon) all seem to have the 4 discs in one case.

Ah gently caress, I always wondered why Godfather Pt 1 was so goddamn dark half the time.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Wal-marts super deals are always amazing, picked up Bram Stokers and Highlander for $8 CDN each! I had my iPhone with me and did some quick searching, DVDbeaver had nothing bad to say about Dracula and found a Highlander review saying there is some minor issues but it's a big step up.

Was tempted to get Taxi Driver for $19 but it would just be for collections sake -- the movie didn't vibe well with me.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

So do not buy the Highlander Directors Cut if you want to see VHS scenes out of nowhere.

In the scene near the start where Connor dies it cut to a scene with a camera floating above and it made me loving shoot up out of bed with how terrible it looked. I should have really read some more reviews. It was only $8 but ugh, that was terrible.

Also, I thought this movie was a little better but my memory must be hazy cause this movie is a piece of poo poo -- the old guy doing backflips at the start for no loving reason, Kurgan's first fight in modern times is the cheesiest poo poo and the Queen soundtrack is terrible (Princes of the Universe owns though).

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Legend rules so hard just based on design alone. It's essentially a Legend of Zelda movie with Satan instead of Ganon.

Also it's one of the best devil designs put to film. The horns are just perfect!

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Looks like Forgetting Sarah Marshall is getting released in a BluRay combo pack -- anyone know why? Was the first disk mastered like poo poo? I love that movie but if this new one is coming out, maybe time to just wait.

EDIT: Awesome just for this btw:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5ZtwbzUFZE

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

TheSwami posted:

So that means this one will be $25, then:

What a piece of poo poo. They couldn't have actually tried like the Aliens boxset and got a company like Sideshow to make something nice?

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Was so tempted to grab this today at Future Shop, $64 CDN but I had to get a new router instead. :3:

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

frumpsnake posted:

Rango is down to $14.99 with code RANGO5GO. Buy it.
http://www.amazon.com/Rango-Two-Disc-Blu-ray-Combo-Digital/dp/B003Y5H542

Thank you for this, came out to $22.97 US and with the way the Canadian dollar is, I am paying so much less. It's $34.99 at the FutureShop.ca website. :D

And no French bullshit on my copy now!

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I loving loved that movie and I'm gonna hit that poo poo up. So surprised how it was better than all the X films before it.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I'm still wanting Zissou on Criterion, what a gorgeous film. :(

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Adrianics posted:

Just wish to say that Rango on Blu-Ray loving kicks rear end. My God, the attention to detail in this film is staggering. I'm becoming convinced that it's a masterpiece.

Oh, and just FYI: Play.com are having a two for £15 sale on Blu-Rays, and if you do a little digging there are some great bargains. I actually have to force myself not to read lest my lack of funds fractures my fragile sanity: http://www.play.com/DVD/Blu-ray/0-/Search.html?searchtype=BLU&searchsource=2&searchstring=2bl3415

God I hope Amazon gets it up to me here soon this week.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

WOW! The behind the scenes for Rango are AMAZING. You learn so much and tons of great interviews. Loved it!

What a perfect movie.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

That's loving stupid, sorry.

Blurays fly off shelves and people are buying them up like crazy. It's not a fad like laser disc where the average person didn't even know what the gently caress it was. Blu is in peoples minds every day via ads, store promotions and more. HDTV's are being adopted like mad and are the only new tvs one can buy. They usually come with a free blu player too.

Anyways, any word on the quality of the new Conan blu?

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Green Vulture posted:

See for yourself. Though Universal may have botched the audio mix in certain spots:

Oh poo poo, I didn't see the dvdbeaver review up when I Google'd it a couple days ago, just some loony going over how much of a man he feels watching this. Thanks. :)

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Let me just click this random link with no context.

This is about Giorgio Moroder's Metropolis coming out on Blu from Kino.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Hope that shirt is in Canada, looks awesome. :D

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Spraynard Kruger posted:

Criterion just announced Rushmore for 11/22. Time to finally kick my non-anamorphic DVD to the curb.

Sweet! Really excited for this. :)

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Why not combine though? Even though in this case he has one already, but you get a premium gaming system along with a bluray player. It's an insane deal.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

It does DVD upscaling and is a option in the menu, no need to buy a remote since the controller does everything you need it to do and is actually easier than the controller. Cinavia is only a problem if you pirate movies. Everything else is valid of course.

Load times are fine for me though, I have no issue personally. But I rather have this and have the long time support. I know with my DVD players I went through a lot over the years for better features not supported in a previous model. Wouldn't someone in the long run save more?

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Cinavia is probably one of the strongest things to block piracy, there really is no way around it. It sucks for legit use of streaming but if you google Cinavia there is a lot of pissed off pirates.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

If they do a new one, keep both, I love how Bruce slams the fans here and there.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I think they did that for the first Doors release on DVD. I was always puzzled why the screen looked so loving tiny on my RPTV (was a cool tv at the time...).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Same, A3 was alright and I couldn't care less about any of the characters from 2, it's all about the monsters. A3 just dragged on. I honestly think Resurrection is better, a little cheesy in the end with Ripley consoling the hybrid but it's a decent entry into the series.

Also, the book set rocks and is something every blu owner should have.

• Locked thread