Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Chloe 7/13
Charlie's Angels 8/3
Pandora and The Flying Dutchman 8/3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Sadly, a lot of good movies are only on Blu-Ray in Germany. Many of them are region free though, and well-worth importing (I have Rob Roy and Running Scared myself).

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
If you're into nature-y stuff then you also need to check out The Beauty of Snakes and Galapagos, both of which are terrific on BD. The National Geographic has some great stuff as well.

e:

The Wolfman reviewed x2
Happy Together reviewed
Class of Nuke 'Em High reviewed
Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog reviewed

doctor thodt fucked around with this message at 17:40 on May 25, 2010

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
In that case, also check out IMAX: Under the Sea. It doesn't really tread any new ground, but it's beautiful.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The Magnificent Seven Collection is already down to $33.99 on Amazon.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ProfessorClumsy posted:

It's a shame to see that the picture-in-picture stuff on The Wolfman is only on the theatrical release. I may have to buy one and rent the other.

There's only one release, it includes both the theatrical and director's cuts.

TheScott2K posted:

If they don't bundle this with jergens then that's an opportunity wasted.

I haven't seen it yet, but I'll give anything by Egoyan a chance. The fact that Amanda Seyfried and Julianne Moore apparently have sex in it is just a nice little bonus.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Profound Desires of the Gods is region B-locked, which is a shame because it looks goddamn magnificent :sigh:

edit: Arrow Films (UK distributor) will be releasing 3 Argento films in July and August: Tenebrae, Deep Red and Phenomena. Most of Arrow's releases have been region free so far.

doctor thodt fucked around with this message at 04:26 on May 26, 2010

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
That's exactly the reason :negative:

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sweet! Something's wonky about that listing though - pretty sure the entire trilogy isn't 130 minutes and $25.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Life reviewed
Shutter Island reviewed
Animation Express reviewed
Bad Boys reviewed

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Sweet, Sony is releasing A Prophet stateside on August 3.

Oh, and:

quote:

The Eighth Wonder of the World is coming up in high definition. On September 28, Warner Home Video will release the classic action/adventure movie King Kong, in a Blu-ray DigiBook edition. The feature will include all the scenes cut from the re-releases, presenting the 1933 version in its entirety.

Special features include:

* Commentary by creature creator Ray Harryhausen and visual effects artist Ken Ralston, with archival sound bites from Merian C. Cooper and Fay Wray
* I'm Kong: The Exploits of Merian C. Cooper (2005 TCM documentary)
* The Making of Kong, Eighth Wonder of the World (7-part documentary)
* Trailers

The 32-page booklet, featuring photography and trivia, has been edited by film historian Rudy Behlmer.
:woop:

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
3 months, 3 amazing Spielberg Blu-Rays. Dreamworks/Paramount really knocked it out of the park with these discs - pretty sure I woke up the neighbors with War of the Worlds. Here's hoping for more soon.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Life (Attenborough) for $30

http://slickdeals.net/forums/showthread.php?t=2056124

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

FitFortDanga posted:

Happy Together looks good.

Man, Kino is on a roll. I'm pretty peeved that they canceled The Sun, especially with all their other obscure releases coming out soon. Hopefully it finds its way back onto the docket.

The Stepfather (1987) reviewed
Youth In Revolt reviewed x2

doctor thodt fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Jun 2, 2010

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I would love to see Armond White do Blu-Ray reviews.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Oh hey, Mandy Lane fans. Is it just me or did this smarter-than-average slasher flick go almost totally unnoticed in the States?

Criminal Minded posted:

Speaking of The Third Man, anybody know of any good places to pick it up? Used isn't a dealbreaker. I'm such an idiot for not grabbing it before it went OOP (even though I wasn't yet an HD convert). :(

I have an extra copy for trade if you have any of the titles I'm looking for :angel:

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Bootlegs are pretty uncommon. If the seller has good feedback then you should be fine. I've gotten my fair share of discs on ebay.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The only problem with the Mandy Lane BD is that it's pretty scant on bonus features, and the ones it does have are (I believe) PAL. I've got more than a few imports that are this way, which always makes a double dip more compelling.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah, Adventureland almost never drops in price. It's also on sale at Target this week......for $24.99. 3rd party sellers on Amazon are selling like-new copies for under $12 though.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The Pacific 11/2

quote:

Special features include:

* The Pacific Enhanced Viewing: with Enhanced Viewing, a 10-part, 10-hour, picture-in-picture experience makes it possible to learn more about the Marines and gain a deeper historical understanding of the battles while watching the miniseries. Exclusive content includes interviews with historians and veterans, archival footage, maps and more.
* The Pacific Field Guide: allows viewers to navigate through the major events featured in The Pacific in this standalone, interactive Field Guide. Search within to view exclusive content including animated maps, extensive interviews with historians and veterans, historical footage, photographs and more.
* Historical Backgrounds: the five-minute prologues that set the stage for each episode and additional historical footage narrated by Tom Hanks.
* Making The Pacific: go behind the scenes and take an inside look at the making of this miniseries.
* Profiles of The Pacific: delve into the lives of the real Marines featured in The Pacific. Get a personal perspective on their families, their war experience and their lives after the war in these intimate portraits.
* Anatomy of the Pacific War: explore the historical influences and cultural perceptions that led to the merciless brutality in the Pacific theater of World War II.

doctor thodt fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Jun 4, 2010

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It's pretty much the best MPEG-2 transfer in existence. The PQ and AQ are terrific, but it's a totally barebones disc other than a trailer.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Someone over at CriterionForum is claiming they're going to release something called The New Hollywood Box Set on Blu-Ray in November that will consist of the following films:

Five Easy Pieces
The Last Picture Show
Easy Rider
Head
King of Marvin Gardens
A Safe Place
Drive, He Said

This is totally unverified, but would be pretty amazing if true.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sporadic posted:

I find that pretty hard to believe since Sony already released Easy Rider on Blu. It doesn't make much sense for them to license it out and cut the legs out from their own release.

If it were only available through Criterion as part of a box set then I doubt it would undercut Sony's sales by any significant measure.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bambi posted:

It sounds like you got a disc that's encoded at 1080i50 (25fps as opposed to the normal 24). So it likely is indeed the censored version, and the 25fps speedup is accounting for that extra 3 minutes.

That doesn't make any sense. 25fps would shave minutes off the runtime, not add them. So in fact it's probably the full cut of the film.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Agreed posted:

Not ideal phrasing on Bambi's part, but he was referring to it taking 3 minutes away from the runtime in the version bad movie knight ended up with.

But the version BMK got is 3 minutes longer than the censored version :confused:

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Tora! Tora! Tora! came out in the UK today and is supposedly a) region free and b) a good transfer.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Space_Butler posted:

If the actual Goonies movie inside is just in a regular blu-ray case, I'm sold.

It won't be, but Target will supposedly have an exclusive release in a regular case.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Today I watched Happy Together and Ashes of Time back-to-back, and later I might top it off with Institute Benjamenta.

Today is a good day.

Does Sony still hold home video distribution rights to 2046?

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
You can actually import Days of Being Wild and As Tears Go By from China for about :20bux: apiece. They're no Criterions, but they're pretty good discs and very English-friendly.

http://uk.blu-ray.com/movies/As-Tears-Go-By-Blu-ray/3753/#Review
http://uk.blu-ray.com/movies/Days-of-Being-Wild-Blu-ray/1979/#Review

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Wait...Platoon or Patton? Platoon isn't on Blu-Ray, other than a Hong Kong release that actually just came out a couple of days ago.

http://www.dddhouse.com/v3/product_details.php?ProductID=10938

edit: damnit, I should really refresh the page before posting.

If you're really itching to get the film, just import, as it's likely the exact same transfer that MGM will ultimately release. Just bear in mind that it's also probably an old MPEG-2 encode.

doctor thodt fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Jun 12, 2010

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

I said come in! posted:

The Hong Kong release is what I meant, yeah. Actually when I posted that question I didn't realize it was a Hong Kong release until a few minutes after. Sorry for the confusion. But yeah, the Vietnam war film, not the WWII film that got a horrible blu-ray transfer is what i'm talking about. :D

I haven't seen any impressions since it was literally just released 2 days ago, but I'm sure some screens will pop up in a week or so.

Speaking of Asian imports, don't forget that CJ Entertainment is releasing the first US-friendly version of Thirst on the 18th. Their titles command a slight premium (about $35 each), but they've all been great transfers so far.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Next Criterion sale at B&N is reportedly July 20.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The UK is getting Cronos and The Devil's Backbone in September courtesy of Optimum.

In Bruges, Alpha Dog and Assault on Precinct 13 are available a month early (starting tomorrow) exclusively at Best Buy.

Harry Brown is getting a US release 8/31.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Three Kings 8/12

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Man, German digibooks are way cooler than what we get over here. Each one has a 20+ page essay on the production of the film (at least that's what I think they're about - can't read German :saddowns:)

Also got Blade Runner, Beowulf, Batman Begins and The Dark Knight because I am a retard who enjoys wasting money on pointless double-dips.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
They're collector's items v:shobon:v

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So the new Predator Blu-Ray sure is, uh, interesting...

http://www.imagebam.com/image/606b8b84038010

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Looks like the original BD, which always got an unfairly bad rap. Granted it's a rather lackluster MPEG-2 transfer, but it's a hell of a lot more representative of what the movie should look like than this shiny new turd.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The quality is also very questionable judging by the couple of reviews at blu-ray.com

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
By the way, most (if not all) of the new Dragon Dynasty releases are surprisingly competent. I picked up Kill Zone and The Banquet at Best Buy for $15 each and they both have terrific PQ and lossless audio. Who'd have thought!

• Locked thread