Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

My copy of Avatar is out for delivery right now, so i'll finally get to watch the blu-ray today. :toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I am all over that Rambo collection. That is going to be sweet. All 4 movies are awesome.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Bambi posted:

The next 2 Harry Potter Ultimate Editions are strongly rumored for release in November.

Shouldnt we wait for the last two movies to come out first? :raise: Part 1 is in December and then Part 2 is about 6 months later. I'm just going to wait for the complete movie box set in fall 2011.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Bambi posted:

A complete box set would most likely just consist of all 8 ultimate editions bundled together. I don't know why they'd wait fr the last two movies to come out - the first 2 ultimate editions have already been released, it makes sense to stagger them a couple at a time.

Most likely Azkaban/Goblet will come out in November to coincide with the theatrical release of Hallows pt. 1, Phoenix/HBP will come out in July 2011 to coincide with Hallows pt. 2, and then the Ultimate editions of Hallows 1/2 are anyone's guess.

I misunderstood you. When you said Ultimate Edition, my mind was thinking box set and I was really confused.

I'm just waiting for the complete theatrical boxset of all of the movies myself. I've seen all of the films up to this point anywho, and cant wait for the next one. I've never even read the books, but the movies have been pretty good.

I said come in! fucked around with this message at 16:22 on May 9, 2010

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The arguments against the LOTR blu-rays were that they don't look as good as they should. More effort could have been put into them. Although they are still impressive, but the asking price for the box set is a bit much. Best Buy is selling it for around $85.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

For some reason the theatrical cut of Apocalypse Now isn't on blu-ray. That is my preferred version of the film.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

doctor thodt posted:

Is anybody interested in setting up some kind of Blu-Ray/DVD exchange? I have so many goddamn discs that I have absolutely no use for, and rather than going through the hassle of trying to sell them I figure I could just trade them for stuff I want instead. Is this kind of thing permissible in SA-Mart?

We have it for Xbox 360 and PS3 games, so I don't see why not. :)

I would love to get in on this, I don't have enough blu-rays though. :smith:

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

There is a .mkv of Saving Priate Ryan floating around with the grain completely removed (this is fan made its files, you wouldnt want to go looking for it anyways and im gonna explain why) from the movie. Holy hell it looks terrible, but people actually like it a lot. I don't understand how anyone could think it looks better then the original blu-ray, but these opinions are why we have so many bad blu-ray transfers. :smithfrog:

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Max22 posted:

This is hilarious, any screencaps?

Yes, there were some screencaps posted on a private forum that I visit.

Can I post these? Don't wanna get in trouble. :O I haven't watched it like this, no intention too, but the screencaps make the movie look really clean. Think the Patton blu-ray basically. It's really obvious in a cap of all of the bodies on the beach after the d-day invasion battle ends. The lack of grain really ruins the scene in my opinion.

Normally I wouldnt bother to mention something like this, but it goes back to the discussions we've had about why studio's are doing bad blu-ray transfers and some of the reasons why classic movies end up looking so horrible and changed from how the director originally wanted the movie to look. They just want to appeal to a wider audience which tends to be very misinformed and have a lack of appreciation for film.

I said come in! fucked around with this message at 13:37 on May 15, 2010

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Max22 posted:

If posting screencaps of a movie is against the forum rules, that "guess the film" thread is in deep trouble.

Thats true and this is only for discussion purposes, i'm not linking anything else but screen caps I already found.

https://wi.somethingawful.com/cd/cd27e5cc04920d703645f2bee3a4b938ba4da7ed.jpg
https://wi.somethingawful.com/1b/1b418a70ac614610f2b3ea86fd49cf7d1eb6732c.jpg
https://wi.somethingawful.com/96/9623a69d4093d64ed854c41eb38e05d7b319be2b.jpg
https://wi.somethingawful.com/a7/a7545e1945e831354f7297fa2c03ae43def7ea85.jpg

For comparison, the untouched blu-ray screen caps from DVDBeaver.com;

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film3/blu-ray_reviews51/saving_private_ryan_blu-ray/large/large_saving_private_ryan_blu-ray1.jpg
http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film3/blu-ray_reviews51/saving_private_ryan_blu-ray/large/large_saving_private_ryan_blu-ray2x.jpg
http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film3/blu-ray_reviews51/saving_private_ryan_blu-ray/large/large_saving_private_ryan_blu-ray3x.jpg
http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film3/blu-ray_reviews51/saving_private_ryan_blu-ray/large/large_saving_private_ryan_blu-ray8x.jpg

I said come in! fucked around with this message at 14:02 on May 15, 2010

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Darth Dukakis posted:

The second link looks like the actors were shot against a green screen, Jesus.

I know right? I try to point this out on this private forum where people are defending the release and I get comments like this back;

quote:

personally i prefer without the grain for me the grain ruins bluray releases wish all wouldnt have it

:smithfrog:

:suicide:

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

doctor thodt posted:

That tripod horn is going to level my house.

The first time you hear that horn is seriously my favorite part of the movie.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Actually overall I really didn't like the movie, but there are a few scenes here and there that are absolutely brilliant.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Everyone just hates Tom Cruises personal life. It is insane and he is a scientologist. His acting career though is great.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Tom Gun will always be his best movie.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Oooh you know what movie with him was awful? Valkyrie. But not because of Cruise, no one could save that movie.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Criminal Minded posted:

Add me to the list of people who really likes War of the Worlds.

And Top Gun Tom Cruise's best movie? :geno:

Ummmmm the volley ball scene anyone? :gay:

That and its about planes and poo poo. It owns, okay, so there.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

doctor thodt posted:

Spartacus: Blood and Sand Season One 9/21

I should check this out. I was warned to skip the pilot though because its horrible, but the actual season 1 is suppose to be pretty good.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

We need to add to the thread title "REMOVE THE loving GRAIN! :byodood:" Since that seems to have become a very common complaint among way to many blu-ray buyers. Luckily no one on here.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

qbert posted:

Aren't all full seasons of shows on blu-ray around there in MSRP?

All the retailers just end up selling them around $50-$70 anyways and calling it a "massive discount".

This is what I was thinking was going to happen.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Bambi posted:

Kick-rear end 8/3

Sweet, this movie is great.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Tony Danza Claus posted:

Why didn't anyone tell me DisneyNature: Earth was loving incredible?

Disney Nature is doing a documentary about large kitties in Africa, next year. :)

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Paul Allen posted:

Watching War of the Worlds right now and it looks great. It definitely still retains that great 'found footage' look and DAAAAMN the low end is fantastic. My neighbors must hate me right now.

I wish I could watch it with your sound system. I watched it last night myself, but without a good sound system I felt like I was missing half of the movie. But as for the picture quality on the blu-ray itself, loving superb. Great looking movie and I have a new appreciation for the film since I haven't seen it in years now. I like it more then I originally did.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The Book of Eli was loving stupid. That twist ending was beyond retarded too.

Mila Kunis is hot.

I said come in! fucked around with this message at 04:53 on May 26, 2010

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Butthole Prince posted:

Garth, I think that was a haiku!

That kinda was wasn't it? :v: That was not intentional.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

How is the blu-ray for the Directors Cut of Kingdom of Heaven?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Darth Freddy posted:

It looks and sounds amazing and has been one of my show case movies to show friends for a while now. Only down side like the Doc said is a lack of any extras. Plus its the directors cut.

You and Doctor Thodt were right about this. I watched it last night, loving incredible picture quality. You could literally see every single little detail on absolutely everything.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Magic Hate Ball posted:

I remember there being a fuss about it. Maybe because Moon is a goon favorite.

Yeah, it was natural that goons would eat that movie up. We basically made up most of the movies profits. :p

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

FitFortDanga posted:

DVDBeaver reviews:

Showgirls (surprisingly little nudity)
The Aviator
Everlasting Moments
The Illusionist
Crimson Tide

I want to get the Crimson Tide blu-ray now. :)

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I am having a hard time finding reviews of Platoon on blu-ray. Anyone have any opinions on it?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

doctor thodt posted:

Wait...Platoon or Patton? Platoon isn't on Blu-Ray, other than a Hong Kong release that actually just came out a couple of days ago.

The Hong Kong release is what I meant, yeah. Actually when I posted that question I didn't realize it was a Hong Kong release until a few minutes after. Sorry for the confusion. But yeah, the Vietnam war film, not the WWII film that got a horrible blu-ray transfer is what i'm talking about. :D

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Jeff Wiiver posted:

Is this a comment on the quality of the film or the blu-ray?

The blu-ray itself. The film is a classic and everyone should watch it.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I'm to horrible to see the problem with the 1st and 3rd one, but the 2nd screenshot is clearly, even to me, really bad.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Captain Charisma posted:

The first one is obvious in Arnold's cheeks. They look like they're made of wax. His clothing has that clay look, too.

Okay I see it now. It's just hard for me to notice without some comparison and knowing what it should look like. Although I should know this stuff by now. I certainly read the blu-ray thread enough.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

That doesn't make the blu-ray suck any less though.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Muppetjedi posted:

I'm thinking of picking up Saving Private Ryan soon, have they fixed the sound issues and is there any way to identify the fixed copies?

Yes, its been a few weeks now as far as I know. It was just a minor out of sync issue I believe? The blu-ray otherwise is wonderful. :)

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The movies themselves better be amazing on blu-ray to justify that. :O I mean I know they are good, but I hope Fox didn't screw up on the picture and sound quality. Not sure what their track record has been like lately. They were the ones that royally hosed the Predator release up though.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

MajorB posted:

This set was produced by the same guy that headed up the Blade Runner Final Cut boxset release, if that means anything.

Gonna buy it now just based on that. The Blade Runner blu-ray set is one of the best out there.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

GonSmithe posted:

I like the contrast of all the red "Greatest Hits" PS3 games.

But, hey, at least it doesn't look like your bookshelf is going to explode and drop all of them on the floor like it used to.

Actually the red labels are a mostly new thing. A few of my non-greatest hits games have them too, just on the side of the case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Predator Blu-Ray.com review. Welp.

Such a shame. :negative:

We have the original blu-ray to fall back on at least. Some movies don't even get that.

• Locked thread