Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

So it sounds like the 2008 blu-ray isn't much better, but between the lesser of the two evils, the 2008 one is the one to get?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Like hell it was complete, there so needs to be a 4th season. :smithfrog:

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

El Jackalope posted:

:psyduck:

Next thing you know there will be a loving Laurence of Arabia release.

I thought there was one coming, or what movie am I maybe thinking of? Or did something just fly over my head just now?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

frumpsnake posted:

According to The Digital Bits, Paramount have announced an exchange program for Gladiator, complete with a contradictory PR-speak bullshit response:

Can't they just admit it was a loving piece of poo poo?

Comparison screen shots if you want to see the differences; http://comparescreenshots.slicx.com/comparison/68257/picture:1

[edit]
Doh you already linked it. My bad. The movie looks a lot better now.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I don't think that the movie having a lot of CGI was the problem, it was just that it was all used very poorly. They did not hire a very good experienced team of CGI artists.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Watching the new Gladiator blu-ray right now. This is so much better looking then the previous one and actually looks like a proper blu-ray this time.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

doctor thodt posted:

How to Train Your Dragon 10/15

October :supaburn:

I still haven't seen this movie and I really want to.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

doctor thodt posted:

Official Lionsgate press release says Apocalypse Now is indeed in its OAR of 2.35:1 :woop:

I love this movie. I can't wait for the blu-ray.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Are there any plans to bring Empire of the Sun to blu-ray?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Bambi posted:

I really like this cover and now I want to see this.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Those new Rambo scenes don't sound that terribly interesting. But I really like that movie and haven't seen it on blu-ray for some reason. A goon did the CGI effects for it too. :)

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Bambi posted:

:thumbsup:

Whoever bought this, you are the best.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

What the consensus on the Lord of the Rings trilogy blus? I know most people are waiting for the extended cuts, but I sort of want to see it in HD really bad. Is it a good transfer?

It is better looking then the DVDs, but not up to the standards I expected for such a great, epic film. The picture quality could have been better. I am hoping the fan opinions were listened to and the extended edition set improves the picture quality.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

It goes without saying that the 2001: A Space Odyssey Blu-ray is an absolute must own and will be one of those movies you show off to everyone who has yet to see the format in all of its glory. It's one of the best blu-rays available. Plus it's the best movies ever made, and will be until the end of time.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Don't like the cover, but I want that for the zombie movie, that one was really good.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

doctor thodt posted:

Humanoids From the Deep reviewed. I don't know why I've never seen this, but based on those screenshots, it's clear I have to rectify this situation immediately.

I was just thinking this exact samething. I am going to buy that blu-ray.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Space_Butler posted:

Deadwood: The Complete Series has been given a street date of November 23.

Sweet, I am all over buying this.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Really all the originals ever needed was a few minor touches here and there, where a scene looked really bad, and a few minor subtle CGI touches to make the world look more real and believable. The special editions really went overboard.

And I don't understand why they are including episodes 1 - 3 in the package. No one wants that poo poo.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Yeah but it had 3d animals and a flying refrigerator, that has got to count for something right?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Well for the prequels we've had threads explaining why they are terrible, to the point of just not being very enjoyable to watch. I would be happy with just being able to pick up episodes IV - VI. Those are three of my favorite movies, especially the Empire Strikes Back.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Captain Charisma posted:

Kill Bill: TWBA is going to end up being home video's version of Chinese Democracy/Duke Nukem Forever.

I also just remembered that Good Will Hunting, Pulp Fiction, and Jackie Brown were announced as coming out in a press release from like February 2009 :suicide:

I assumed Pulp Fiction and Kill Bill haven't happened because didn't the company who owns the I.P. for those movies, go under and is no longer around?

Also and i'm sure it's been mentioned already, but, don't get Robin Hood (the one with Russel Crowe) on blu-ray. I'm sure the blu-ray itself is fine, but the movie... :ohdear: I've always been a fan of Riddley Scott, but this film was a total turd.

I said come in! fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Sep 11, 2010

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Is there a release date for Inception yet? I still haven't seen this movie and really want to. :(

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

ProfessorClumsy posted:

That depends on your sexual orientation.

You need to be gay, female, or middle aged.

But no seriously, the show is good, but not for me. Like qbert said, watch two episodes and that will decide if you like it or not. It is actually a solid show, but it ends up being a love it or hate it show.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

uncle jimbo posted:

I saw the Thin Red Line like 11 years ago and it was too slow for me, but I was a stoopid kid and everything. The cast is absurd and the videophile in me wants to see that transfer so drat bad, should I go ahead and buy it? Is it something I'm way more likely to appreciate as an adult, or is my opinion unlikely to change?

This was me as well. Saving Private Ryan did a lot more for me. Now that I am a lot more mature, I should be able to appreciate this movie a lot. I am looking forward to seeing the blu-ray version.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Should we assume that a lot of those deleted scenes are unfinished?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Yeah pretty much. I can't wait for that to come out.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The Playstation 3 has been updated tonight with 3D support for blu-rays that have it. You of course need a 3D HDTV to take advantage of this, but it's finally there for when you are ready.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Watched Thin Red Line today, it was a really good movie. Highly recommended everyone watch. :)

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Crackbone posted:

Video/Audiophiles are giant loving babies, much like every other hobby's obsessive sperglords.

I've never thought of videophiles being on the same level though. There doesn't seem to be a lot of options to optimizing video quality, at least not compared to audio. All audiophiles though can burn in hell.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

William Pahllace posted:

Thinking about picking up Last of the Mohicans now. Has anybody gotten Thin Red Line yet? It has been getting GLOWING reviews from just about everybody.

The movie itself was good but the story was all over the place. I'm a simple minded person, so I found the story and characters hard to follow. I would like to think I can appreciate a good love story though, I certainly didn't mind it in the Pacific at all. However the flash backs and letters to/from the one soldiers wife were interesting but I didn't really care. It didn't seem to have much of an effect on the story, it was just there. A lot of that was just ehhhh big deal.

There were some really good scenes though that weren't just action. I really liked the beginning, and the parts in general leading up to the combat. The whole thing reminded me a lot of the Pacific, but not nearly as good. Granted the Pacific had around 10 hours to tell a story, this only had about 2 hours and 40 minutes.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Harlock posted:

Most new Universal titles are like this.

Why are they doing this? How could that possibly benefit the viewing experience?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

That is a really wonderful blu-ray case.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Space_Butler posted:

If you have an incredibly expensive d-box chair/system you this movie supports it. Think rumble in video games, but it also moves in directions and motions synced to whats happening onscreen. Pretty much nobody has it in their home theater unless they're a millionaire but it costs probably a dollar total to throw the file on the disc.

I may want to get this since I play a lot of racing sims; http://www.d-box.com/gaming/en/supported-games/ Except it sounds like it probably costs more then $50 which is more then what I could afford currently.

I said come in! fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Oct 5, 2010

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

morestuff posted:

According to their site, there are at least 10 dealers within 250 miles of where I'm at.

None of the ones in my area list any actual prices but that makes sense. It probably depends a lot on your home theater room.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Avatar should have been rated R.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Recently watched How To Train Your Dragon, such a cute movie. :3:

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I think that film was nominated at the 2010 Oscars for best animated film.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Harlock posted:

I watched How to Train Your Dragon last night, it does look pretty spectacular. It's a good movie to boot too. A animated Dreamworks movie that's good? I'm shocked.

To bad they are going to drive it into the ground now. :/ Dreamwork movies always start off pretty good and then the sequels start rolling out then they get more and more stupid and just turn into a movie to keep the kids interested only.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Thanks! Pre-ordered that sucker. Cannot wait to see this again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

FirstCongoWar posted:

They're making a sequel AND a weekly Cartoon Network TV show, soooooo

Yuck. :smithfrog: Well maybe the sequel won't be bad. Just have to wait and see.

• Locked thread