Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

I said come in! posted:

The arguments against the LOTR blu-rays were that they don't look as good as they should. More effort could have been put into them. Although they are still impressive, but the asking price for the box set is a bit much. Best Buy is selling it for around $85.

Seriously? Here in Canada it was selling for $60 sale price when it came out and a quick check on their site shows a $70 usual price.

I know they are going to double dip this one when the Extended Editions come out next year. But, drat it, I have nostalgia for the theatrical versions I saw in theatres and am not THAT concerned about resolution or whatever. Not going to get the EE editions when they come out. I know I am in the minority around here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

Bambi posted:

How the hell are they even still releasing Blu-Rays in their current condition? Does Fox distribute them all? It's weird because I watched A Fistful of Dollars and For a Few Dollars More today, and they both looked pretty drat good. Their quality control is all over the map.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure Fox is still distributing MGM's Blu-Ray discs regardless of what state the company is in. I don't think their license is going to be impacted over MGM's suspended operations.

Tony Danza Claus posted:

Did you ever see the Batarang trinket for the Batman: Arkham Asylum special edition? It's permanently attached to the display stand. $40 more than the regular version for that. It was hilarious when everyone got their copies and opened it up to discover that and raged up and down the internet over it.

Sorry, pulling this one from the last page. I remember when my store got those in, my manager opened one up to have a look and just laughed when he saw it was attached to the stand. He laughed even harder a few days later when someone returned it because they obviously tried to throw it anyways (the Batarang edges were all scuffed and scratched up).

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

sethsez posted:

This strikes me as a pretty odd pick for Criterion. It's not exactly a modern masterpiece, it's not a flawed but fascinating experiment, and it's not a minor missing film from a canon director. It's just... a nifty, kinda dumb flick from the 90s from a director who made much more notable movies before and after it.

There was a Criterion for Armageddon, of all films, though I'm told that was solely to raise money at the time.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

doctor thodt posted:

Tons of horror films on sale for $10 right now at Best Buy, including The Evil Dead, Frozen, Dead Snow, The Mist, the individual Grindhouse releases, and many more.

Same deal in Canada; it's October so obviously the horror film Blu-Rays will be going on sale for Halloween.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

Bambi posted:

Best Buy is going to start phasing out DVD's this holiday season. Nice to see retailers begin to push Blu-Ray ahead :)

http://screenrant.com/best-buy-reduces-dvd-stock-pauly-81532/

What I find really interesting is they are looking to put tablet PCs and netbooks into the former space. I'm taking that as a sign that Best Buy understands that streaming and digital distribution are as much a future as Blu-Ray is (probably more-so, I would say).

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

Crackbone posted:

Wait, what am I missing? I thought TS3 was Nov. 2nd?

Yeah, where did he get his copy? Is it out in another region or something?

Edit: But, yeah, Incredibles on Blu-Ray confirmed.

Justin Godscock fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Oct 21, 2010

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!
Now comes the next challenge: putting the Back to the Future disc back into it's case.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

Vintersorg posted:

I loving loved that movie and I'm gonna hit that poo poo up. So surprised how it was better than all the X films before it.

Better than X-Men 2? I might have to check it out then.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

Quantum of Phallus posted:

But can we all agree that 3D has failed miserably? I know literally no-one with any sort of 3D capability, Blu-Ray owner or otherwise. Nobody I know cares.

It's starting to be advertised as a feature of current-gen TVs rather than the main event, a huge step down from last year at this time where it was all 3DTV and nothing else. I can't say where it's going to be next year at this time but the sooner it dies the better.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

Nihonniboku posted:

I use the amazon marketplace. You can actually now just box up everything you want to sell, send it to Amazon, and they'll ship the items for you as they sell. I made like $120 doing this with a bunch of my old DVDs.

I'm going to have to check this one out. I've been kicking around the idea of selling off chunks of my DVD collection and have been looking for both a good return and ease of use. If Amazon does all the work and I just ship the DVDs to the address they give me, that is my dream system.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

mod sassinator posted:

Cartoons in high definition are just awesome.

On this train of thought: CGI animation in general seems to benefit the most from high definition.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

CPL593H posted:

gently caress no. The first film is the best of the series by far. It always bothered me that most people like the second movie best, but it's easy to understand why. It's full of action and things going boom. I do happen to like the second movie a lot and have found myself to be one of those rare defenders of Alien 3 (my only major complaint is the painfully dated CG effects). But if someone said I could only ever see one of those movies again it would be Alien without any contest. Incidentally I notice the people who like the first movie best tend to be more serious about film. So I'm sure that your opinion (at least here) is in the majority.

I think you're being really unfair to the accomplishments of Aliens. It is an absolute landmark in practical effects and the more technical aspects of filmmaking. It still retains the claustrophobia and isolation of Alien and actually adds action without detracting from that sense of dread. It's fine if you take Alien over Aliens but I'm getting the feeling you're writing the "Aliens > Alien" crowd off for not being as serious about film which is absolutely unfair. Both films not only accomplish what they set out to do but are shining examples of filmmaking and film experts can cite either one and still be taken seriously.

henpod posted:

All this Alien talk makes me look forward to my anthology which should be sitting at home for me today. Going to watch the poo poo out of that this weekend.

Aliens is second only to Avatar in my collections of awesome-looking Blu-Rays. The only problem I had was the matte paintings in Aliens are so incredibly obvious and fake-looking on Blu-Ray,

Justin Godscock fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Dec 1, 2011

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

CopywrightMMXI posted:

Speaking of Dredd, I was just at HMV during my lunch break, and decided to pick it up. It was $22.49, but that was for the 3D Blu Ray/Blu Ray combo. That's actually a fairly low price for a 3DBR, but I noticed that HMV didn't have standard Blu Ray-only copies for sale. The had the DVD, and the 3DBR combo pack. Is this movie available in a non-3D blu ray?

I have a 3D-TV, so this didn't discourage me, but if there isn't a blu-ray only version, I could see this discouraging a lot of people from buying it. I know that a lot of people didn't see this in the theatres because the only showings were in 3D.

Nope, there is no regular Blu-Ray for Dredd. Just the DVD and 3DBR combo pack. I agree it totally sucks and it almost as bad as the Avengers digital copy only being included with the mega 3D pack which was $37 CDN on release (I like to have some of my movies in iTunes for mobile watching). At least the pricing is reasonable for Dredd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!
Continuing the train of reacting to that Sword in the Stone image: the colors are actually bleeding through the lines like it was drawn by a 5-year old. How in the hell that passed studio review is beyond me and I'm figuring it's because Disney didn't care about an animated feature from the 70s when they have Pixar IPs to bring home the money.

• Locked thread