Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Tony Danza Claus posted:

As far as DO NOT BUY list, a lot of stuff is really subjective and all those nice words meaning "people are wrong", but there's pretty much a universal hatred for three movies: 28 Days Later, Patton, and the original release of Full Metal Jacket (the white cover with the helmet on it).

Also House of Flying Daggers. Did they just copy the DVD to a Bluray disc and shoved it out the door? It looks absolutely terrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Goreld posted:

Of course, even the resolution is besides the point because the colors on DVD will always look like poo poo compared to the much better gamut on blu-rays. Reds and greens never look correct on a dvd, nor do extremely bright/dark scenes (ie. Sunshine, Pitch Black)

I'm noticing the same thing. I thought my relatively cheap projector just didn't have very good black levels, but after watching LA Confidential on Bluray I'm fairly sure that the DVDs and downloads I have just aren't good enough. It looked great.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
House of Flying Daggers looks terrible though.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

I figure this is the best thread to ask.

I just got a PS3, and it is my first Blu-Ray player.

What Blus do you fellow movie nerds recommend to help me get my collection started. I currently own one, The Dark Knight (it was on sale at Wal-Mart, and I love the movie, so it was a no-brainer)

As someone who was in the same situation as you were, some months ago, I can especially recommend The Prestige, Inglourious Basterds, Gattaca, and L.A. Confidential. They all look amazing and are great movies anyway.

My latest blurays are Falling Down and Zodiac, they were €20 for the two of them. Falling Down looks very good too, haven't watched Zodiac yet.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

The Cameo posted:

You're not kidding.

Ah, that explains why they're selling this movie for cheap at the Media Markt. I've become very suspicious of cheaply priced Blurays, sadly :(

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I watched the Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels blu-ray last weekend and it downloaded a trailer off the internet. At least I get to watch trailers for new forgettable movies!

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Bought a bunch of region-free movies off Amazon:

Terminator
Terminator 2
Ocean's Trilogy
Ghostbusters
Watchmen
The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus
Vicky Christina Barcelona

Total €83,26

A local store also has Kick rear end for €12 and Jackie Brown for €8, going to buy these sometime this week.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
The problem with sorting by genre is that you inevitably end up with a bunch of movies that don't really fit any genre, and movies that would fit in at least three categories. Although if you really have some spare time I'd say you should try sorting movies from good to bad :v:

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Amazon Germany has O Brother, Where Art Thou up for pre-order, €24. Doesn't mention a date or region-coding, however.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Shalkore posted:

Are you loving kidding me? I would pay so much money to see Taxi Driver on the big screen. I can't believe they're selling it for only $13. Everyone should buy. And I do mean EVERYONE. ALL OF YOU! There's no reason not to. It's cheaper than most blu-rays and better than almost all of them. Yes, I do realize I'm preaching to the converted but hopefully just one of you happens upon this post who isn't a regular and will take note. Yes, I really love this film and the blu-ray looks fantastic and makes it a must-buy for the price.

I haven't actually seen Taxi Driver yet but it's not available until June 6th in region B :(

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Play.com has a special offer: buy Avatar for €22,50, get another bluray for free. I got Fargo, but there are some other good buys to go along with it, the first two Die Hard movies, The Usual Suspects, Phone Booth, and a few more I forgot about.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I was looking forward to it so much, that's disappointing to hear :(

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

GonSmithe posted:

I know this has probably been asked, but the Skynet Edition is the non-poo poo one, right?

It's also the region-locked one :argh:

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

The two-season boxset is 36 pounds on amazon UK, and there are a bunch of other cheap blurays in their Christmas sale.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

GrandpaPants posted:

I assume it is, but can someone verify that Rome is region free?

Amazon's site says it's not, unfortunately.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

CPL593H posted:

Was HD-DVD actually better than blu-ray? I never actually saw a movie on that format nor do I know anyone who did.

Friend of mine bought the Xbox player when the format was already on it's way out. It was really cheap and movies were about €10 each because everyone was dumping their stock. It's main advantage for the consumer was that it was always region-free.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Dissapointed Owl posted:

There's always one subtitle, Dutch,

That's not true, you can also choose French :v:

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Some good deals on Amazon UK as well:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=amb_l...&pf_rd_i=655852

Matrix Trilogy for 9 pounds, Django Unchained for 10, Fast & Furious 1-5 for 12,74, Aladdin 12,23, Cloud Atlas 10,50, Prometheus 8, Dark Kight Rises 8, Looper 7

Also a Universal Classic Monsters collection for 25 pounds that looks pretty good. Has stuff like Dracula, the Mummy, Frankenstein, Invisible Man and 4 others.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

GhostDog posted:

Unlikely to ever happen. When the Steelbook came out a few years ago they said remastering the TV version would be too expensive. There exists a DVD version, at least in german. I've seen it ages ago and imo the Director's Cut is superior. The TV version is just too long.

I own the Columbia Classics version, it has both German and English audio as well as English subs. It has rather nice packaging and a few extras like production notes and some photos. I think the 5-hour version does a better job of illustrating the utter drudgery of being in a cramped boat for months while absolutely nothing happens to break the monotony. It's been years since I've seen it, though.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I actually saw a store selling HD-DVD's last week. They were going out of business; my guess is they found them in the back of the store and decided to see if anyone would actually pay money for it?

I decided to buy Hard Justice on DVD instead. 87 minutes of Charles Napier shooting people, or so the back of the movie tells me.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Amazon UK has sales too!

£42.99 (22% off) The Sopranos - Complete Collection
£16.99 (24% off) Deadwood - The Complete Collection
£21.99 (21% off) Better Call Saul - Season 1
£13.99 (22% off) Iron Man 1-3 Complete Collection
£38.99 (29% off) House Of Cards: Seasons 1-3

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
They also have some very good movies in their 2 for £10 selection: Grand Budapest Hotel, 12 Monkeys, Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy, In Bruges, and a bunch more. You can only order one set at a time with the discount, unfortunately.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Found some Ultraviolet codes I'm not going to use, feel free to claim them. Not sure if these work everywhere, the flyers mention specific territories:

UK/Ireland:
Edge of Tomorrow: 4H2XJ23CG7H6
Shaun of the Dead: ABJBBZ7QRV83
Hot Fuzz: Q8Y8W27SVZBE
The World's End: XM7W987LFP2N

Netherland/Belgium:
22 Jump Street: 367DE9PDG3N07DT1
Jurassic Park: U6YLJHX62P6M5G74

And lastly an iTunes code for Prometheus, UK/Ireland: 3224405971592064

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

wa27 posted:

Miami Connection must have come back into print recently. It's been hard to get for less than $30 in the past year:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00960EHRC/

Is this region free? Thinking of blindbuying this and shipping to Europe, since I haven't actually seen it yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

GonSmithe posted:

Amazon is usually wrong, but this is correct. It's Region A locked.

Too bad then. But thanks!

• Locked thread