Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Butthole Prince
Nov 19, 2004

She said that she was working for the ABC News / It was as much of the alphabet as she knew how to use.

Budzilla posted:

I think a worst Blu Ray category would be rather pointless. Too subjective (especially with PQ), just recommend in the OP for buyers steer away from discs with MPEG-2 codecs since most earlier releases of Blu Ray aren't too hot.

Maybe a list of titles that are universally agreed upon as something to avoid might be helpful. I know I always wondered why Patton was always on sale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butthole Prince
Nov 19, 2004

She said that she was working for the ABC News / It was as much of the alphabet as she knew how to use.
Does anyone know the status of The Great Escape on Blu-Ray? Has there been any discussion of a release for it?

Butthole Prince
Nov 19, 2004

Agreed posted:

Planet Earth came out on BD?

:aaaaa:

Edit: And for only around $50 at most places, too! Why did I not know about this? Getting as soon as possible. Now I have to check on The Life of Birds and a bunch of other stuff too.

Edit 2: Oh my god they're all on blu-ray, amazon purchasing spree underway. You better MEAN "Like New," merchants :colbert:

Hopefully you didn't order it yet, but, you can get the "Planet Earth" Blu-Ray from Amazon UK for ridiculously cheap.

Butthole Prince
Nov 19, 2004

The graphic in the first isn't bad but all that text is pretty ugly.

Butthole Prince
Nov 19, 2004

I said come in! posted:

The Book of Eli was loving stupid. That twist ending was beyond retarded too.

Mila Kunis is hot.

Garth, I think that was a haiku!

Butthole Prince
Nov 19, 2004

Zophar posted:

I can't wrap my head around the fact this movie made over a billion dollars.

Absolutely perfect timing. Everyone wanted to go see another 3D movie after seeing Cameron's little flick, and with the inflated prices for it, well... it adds up.

Butthole Prince
Nov 19, 2004

Fat Lou posted:

Amazon buys DVDs. I have never used them, but I have considered it.

The prices they offer are pretty ridiculous. I realize that there's not a whole lot of demand for Batman Begins or Fight Club on DVD, but I'd like to get more than $0.50 each for them.

Butthole Prince
Nov 19, 2004

doctor thodt posted:

America: The Story of Us reviewed

Did anyone watch this? I kept hearing about how good it was but never caught it. $35 doesn't seem a bad price for 12 hours of material. Blind buy worthy?

Butthole Prince
Nov 19, 2004

doctor thodt posted:

America: The Story of Us reviewed

DeepDiscount has this for $25 shipped.

Butthole Prince
Nov 19, 2004

doctor thodt posted:

Once Upon a Time in America 1/11

Will the reviews have screen caps of 13 year old Jennifer Connelly's rear end?

Butthole Prince
Nov 19, 2004

I said come in! posted:

Is it really that bad? I was gonna get this, i've never seen... Back to the Future, before. :/

That's pretty surprising. Do you live in the United States? The first movie was a fixture of TBS/TNT/USA programming throughout the 1990s.

Butthole Prince
Nov 19, 2004

Red posted:

Why does Bradley Cooper have a patch of black hair on the left side of his head?

And Sharlto Copley looks like a 55 year old lesbian.

Butthole Prince
Nov 19, 2004

Red posted:

I sat through Harry Potter and The Prisoner of Azkaban, and to be honest, I didn't get it. To me, it seems like a (very rich-looking, and well done) children's film.

It sounds like you got it just fine. It is a children's movie, and that film in particular is essentially the only one that has nothing to do with Harry and friends battling Voldemort. The end of the fourth movie is when the series shifts away from just being a fun little kid's story.

Butthole Prince
Nov 19, 2004

Tony Danza Claus posted:

Help! Do I put "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas" under "Johnny Depp" or "Tobey Maguire"?!

Edit: n/m. I bought two copies. Crisis averted.

:spergin:

Jena Malone has probably watched it before, so it could be filed under that category, too.

Butthole Prince
Nov 19, 2004

So we can assume that the original trilogy release is going to be the same content wise as that of the DVD release, right?

Han shoots first, ghost Hayden, etc.

Butthole Prince
Nov 19, 2004

Sir Lemming posted:

What other excuse could he possibly have?

I don't know how true this is, but I heard an explanation that his ex-wife owns 50% of the royalties / rights / whatever to the true OT, and that if he releases it commercially she would be entitled to 50%. The versions with his changes are not the same film (apparently?) and thus she doesn't get 50% of the sales. This would be why the only DVD release of the non-hosed-with-version was a bonus disc feature.

Again, no idea if that's correct. If it is, I suppose it makes sense, in a greedy George Lucas kind of way. If that isn't the case, well...

Butthole Prince
Nov 19, 2004

frumpsnake posted:

No, his wife does not own the 'rights' to the Original Trilogy, and if she did, the SE would certainly still count as being the same film.

I didn't say she owned the rights, but a portion. Whether the SE counts or not (for the record, I agree that I would think it would) seems to be unknown. This article seems to think along the lines of what I was saying: http://www.starwarz.com/tbone/index.php?categoryid=22&p2_articleid=458

And a snippet from another article seems to be almost exactly what I was saying in my post:

quote:

The Separation Agreement between Lucas and his first wife, Marcia - whom he married in 1969 and divorced in 1983 - explicitly agrees that the ex-Mrs. Lucas is contractually obliged to receive a portion of any profits generated by the re-release of the original versions of "Star Wars, "Empire" and "Jedi."

However, Marcia Lucas has never received any monies due her under that Agreement, because the heavily-altered re-re-releases of those 3 films do not legally count as a release of the "original versions." When Lucas brought out those "Limited Edition" DVD's 5 years ago that had the original versions of the films as "Bonus Features" on Disc 2, that also did not count as an "official re-release" of those editions since they were classified as "extras"

Butthole Prince
Nov 19, 2004

Why do Blu-Ray discs not allow me to 'resume' as I could with DVDs?

What I'm talking about is if I put in a disc and watch, say, 45 minutes, and then turn the power off. On my DVD player, I could turn the power back on and it would resume where I left off. With Blu-Ray, it seems that 80% of the time I try this, it starts back at the beginning like I had inserted a new disc. Some movies resume right where I left off, and even less often, some discs pop up with a 'Resume Playback?' prompt.

My player doesn't have a bookmark feature that I am able to locate.

Butthole Prince
Nov 19, 2004

They just changed the PS3 interface again not that long ago. It's a bit better now. I was fine with the old interface.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butthole Prince
Nov 19, 2004

Criminal Minded posted:

Just got back from an AMC showing as well. It was amazing.

Did they fix the saturation of the blood at the end? I figured it wouldn't need to be muted now since R rated films get away with a lot more.

• Locked thread