Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Volcasarus ReX posted:

I guess I might be one of the youngest guys on here cause I would have put blade runner under classics. I'm assuming that by classics most of you mean black and white though.

Half the stuff on thodt's and Bambi's "classics" lists are in color.

I guess the cut-off point is roughly 1980? I probably would have put Blade Runner under classics too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Bambi posted:

Speaking of this, why is nobody else doing it?

1) I've got a few Blu-Rays that I haven't watched yet.
2) I listen on headphones, and I often don't see the visual flaws that others seem to pick up on, so my picks would be based mostly on the movies I like the most, or have the best extras
3) ...I kinda think it's a dumb idea.

I'll probably still post my list at some point though.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Egbert Souse posted:

I found this gem on Sony's website:
http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs...ategoryId=16154

$700 for a decent mid-range notebook that doubles as a portable BluRay player is fairly awesome. Panasonic's portable BluRay player is the same price!

That link has a digital camera, a pink VAIO, an eReader and an LCD TV :confused:

EDIT: I think you meant to post this http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs...98&N=4294953240

FitFortDanga fucked around with this message at 04:42 on May 5, 2010

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

New Beaver reviews:

Stagecoach
Dolan's Cadillac
Katyn

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

The Lucas posted:

House will be announced this month. NY Times broke it already.

It's supposedly coming out on September 7th, so it will probably be announced next month. The only certain (well, 95% certain) Criterion announcement this month is the von Sternberg set.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Bambi posted:

they will also be releasing Charade around the same time.

Hot drat. Criterion is raping my wallet even more than usual this year.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Some upcoming Lionsgate titles:

Ladybugs
Jimmy Hollywood
Johnny Handsome
Rambo: Extended Cut
Rambo: The Complete Collector's Set
Lock Up

The Digital Bits posted:

The Rambo: Extended Cut Blu-ray (SRP $19.99) will include a 9-minute longer cut of the film, as well as an all-new, 90-minute Rambo: To Hell and Back video production diary.

The Rambo: The Complete Collection Blu-ray box set (SRP $54.99), contains all four films with extras (as previously released on the format), including the theatrical cut of Rambo.

Also these:

The Digital Bits posted:

The long-expected Quantum of Solace: Definitive Edition will arrive on DVD and Blu-ray Disc on 7/28. Look for audio commentaries and more new and exclusive bonus features, along with lenticular packaging.

Also, Paramount and DreamWorks will soon announced the comedy She's Out of My League for release on DVD and Blu-ray Disc, likely in July. We'll post additional details as they become available.

Finally, Sony Pictures Home Entertainment has set Not the Messiah (He's a Very Naughty Boy) for DVD and Blu-ray release on 6/8 (SLP $24.96 & $30.95). For those unfamiliar with this, it's a recording of a one-time-only live performance of a "song oratorio inspired by" Monty Python's Life of Brian, featuring Eric Idle, Michael Palin, Terry Jones, and Terry Gilliam, at the Royal Albert Hall in London on October 23rd, 2009. Extras will include 3 featurettes (The Road to the Albert Hall, Showtime! and The Bright Side...) along with 6 sing-a-long songs. The Blu-ray will add BD-Live and movieIQ+sync.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Daybreakers review at DVDBeaver

Are there boobs? Yes.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

mikul posted:

Has there been any word on a Saving Private Ryan recall? I seem to recall reading about an audio sync issue and it's just been moved out of my Amazon cart to my saved items list with a note to say it's no longer available from the seller.

The Digital Bits posted:

Meanwhile, we also have an update today on Paramount and DreamWorks' Saving Private Ryan Blu-ray Disc. The studio has unofficially confirmed that there IS a sound sync issue on current copies, and Amazon has just temporarily pulled the disc from sale. We're told that the studio IS working on fixed discs for retail, and they're expected to soon announce a replacement plan for those who already have the bad copies. For those who may not be aware, audio sync issues appear to start around Chapter 15 - certain lines of dialogue appear out of lip-sync with the film. Again, we'll post more on this as it comes in.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

As everyone feared, Storaro got his greasy mitts on Apocalypse Now for the new HD remaster, loving with the aspect ratio because clearly "The Last Supper" should be the guideline for all movies or something.

Vittorio Storaro posted:

Recently I did again a Video transfer of "APOCALYPSE NOW REDUX" and I wrote the following letter to the Distributor of the DVD.

The following is my personal comment about the new HD Video master made in 1:2 aspect ratio of the Film "APOCALYPSE NOW REDUX" that I'm supervising with colorist Nazzareno Neri at Technicolor Rome.

It is a great privilege for me to be able to digitally RE-MASTER, once again, THIS GREAT CLASSIC MOVIE Directed by FRANCIS FORD COPPOLA. I did it already in Standard definition, initially in the original version as " APOCALYPSE NOW " and later in HD version for "APOCALYPSE NOW REDUX". I supervised the Video transfer in Los Angeles with colorist Lou Levinson and both version were transfered in 1:2 aspect ratio, each one of them approved by Mr.Francis Ford Coppola. Each time, also now, thanks to the improvement of the Electronic technology, I'm able to improve all the original Visual ideas that we had during the shooting of the Film with Mr.Coppola, that were impossible to complete exactly in the way we were thinking at that time, with the existing 1977 Film technology.

I believe that this one will be ONE OF THE BEST VIDEO MASTER THAT I EVER DID. As we did for Theater released with the Print on TECHNICOLOR DYE TRANSFER, today we can do with BLU-RAY technology.

I'm able finally to put on Video screen all the visual idea that we had originally with Francis at that time: the conflict between LIGHT and SHADOW and the musical movement of low-saturated or high-saturated COLORS that were underlined the dramaturgy of the story. And, overall, the COMPOSITION of the image that we decided to have for the VIDEO VERSION, without any technical and creative interferance from the usual standard that not necesserily are the best choice for the Authors of a Movie. THE MOVIE WAS FILMED IN ANAMORPHIC I:2,35, WAS PRINTED IN 70mm IN 1:2,21 AND IN 35mm IN 1:2,40 ASPECT RATIO FOR THEATER RELEASED. I REMEMBER THE VISUAL TRAGEDY THAT WE LIVED IN DOING THE FIRST TV VIDEO MASTER IN FULL SCREEN 1:1,35 ASPECT RATIO, PRATICALLY CUTTING 40% OF ALL THE IMAGES SO CAREFULLY COMPOSED IN THE FILM CAMERA AND THE REQUESTED NEW VIDEO VERSION IN 1:1,78 ASPECT RATIO. TOO MANY COMPOSITIONS OF THE FILM THAT EACH TIME WAS CUT TO FIT ANY POSSIBLE DIFFERENT NEED OF THE DIFFERENT REQUESTED SIZE. IT WAS LIKE CUTTING A PAINTING ACCORDING TO THE SIZE OF THE WALL WHERE IT WAS SUPPOSED TO BE DISPLAYED. SO I REMEMBER THE SPECIFIC DECISION THAT WE HAD IN DOING THE FIRST LETTER BOX VERSION OF THE FILM, UNDERSTANDING THAT LOOKING AT A VIDEO SCREEN, AUDIENCES IS RECEIVING A DIFFERENT EXPERIENCE COMPARE TO THE FILM THEATER EXPERIENCE. THE DECISION THAT WE HAD WITH MR.COPPOLA WAS TO MAKE THE 1:2 COMPOSITION VERSION, SPECIFICALLY FOR VIDEO An ispiration that we had from the LEONARDO DA VINCI's perfect composition of the visual image: 1:2 (Like in his painting of "THE LAST SUPPER").

FRANCIS AND MYSELF LOVED ALL THE NEW VIDEO MASTER, THAT REPRESENT THE TODAY VISUALIZATION OF THE FILM IN VIDEO SCREEN, MADE AND APPROVED BY THE DIRECTOR AND THE CINEMATOGRAPHER.

I BELIEVE THAT THE MAIN AUTHORS OF THE MOVIE (DIRECTOR - CINEMATOGRAPHER) SHOULD BE ALLOWED TO RE-VISUALIZE THEIR CREATION IN A NEW WAY FOR THE VIEWERS OF A DIFFERENT MEDIA. I believe that FILM THEATER and VIDEO SCREEN are two different emotional experiences.

I BELIEVE THAT ANY ARTIST SHOULD BE ABLE TO RE-VISIT OR RE-STORE IN A MODERN WAY HIS OWN CREATION. I think that WE should put all our energy,TOGETHER, to have any distribution company NOT altereting the decision of Author's composition of every movie to accomodate the various FULL SCREEN VERSION (1:1,35 or 1:1,78) WITHOUT THE AUTHORIZATION OF THE MAIN AUTHORS OF THE FILM, changing the original composition of the image and, in doing that, alterating the movie itself.

I BELIEVE THAT ANY VIDEO DISTRIBUTION COMPANY SHOULD RESPECT THE AUTHORS WILL TO PRESENT THEIR FILM IN THE WAY IT SHOULD BE SEEING, EVEN WHEN THEY ARE IMPROVING WITH NEW TECHOLOGY THEIR ORIGINAL CREATION.

I think that this new version of "APOCALYPSE NOW REDUX" IT IS A GREAT VIDEO MASTER that only the main Author, Mr. Francis Ford Coppola, should decide if it need to be different. I'M SURE THAT YOU WILL LOVE THIS NEW HD VIDEO MASTER, MADE EXPRESS FOR YOUR COMPANY BUT IN RESPECT OF THE AUTHOR'S CHOICE.

Sincerely Vittorio Storaro

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

qbert posted:

Wow, that's incredibly bizarre. Is there even anything else out there, dvd, blu-ray, whatever, that has an aspect ratio of 2:1?

Yeah... The Last Emperor, thanks to Storaro.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

RussianGuyovich posted:

Yeah, I suppose not. For some reason I was thinking Valkyrie came out way later than it did.

I don't have a Blu-Ray player yet as a college student whose library carries DVDs, so:

[lovely Photobucket link]

use Waffleimages

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

doctor thodt posted:

Meanwhile, another reviewer from the same website gave Spartacus 4 stars for PQ but doesn't even know what kind of TV he's watching it on.

Glenn Erickson is a really knowledgeable dude. He's done commentaries on Night and the City, Hush Hush Sweet Charlotte, On Dangerous Ground, Gun Crazy, Decoy and probably others I'm forgetting.

Of course, that doesn't mean he knows poo poo about televisions, but he might just be talking tongue-in-cheek.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Blu-Ray.com posted:

Warner Home Video has announced the Blu-ray release of the New Line title Se7en (also known as Seven) for September 14. This Blu-ray edition, supervised by director David Fincher, will come in DigiBook form, with a 32-page booklet containing information and photos on the making of the movie, and a special look at its alternate endings.

Special features include:
Four audio commentary tracks:
* Stars commentary, with director David Fincher and actors Brad Pitt and Morgan Freeman
* Story commentary, with Fincher, author Richard Dyer, screenwriter Andrew Kevin Walker, editor Richard Francis-Bruce and New Line president of production Michael De Luca
* Picture commentary, with Fincher, director of photography Darius Khondji, production designer Arthur Max, editor Richard Francis-Bruce and author Richard Dyer
* Sound commentary, with Fincher, sound designer Ren Klyce, composer Howard Shore and author Richard Dyer
Additional/extended scenes
Alternate endings
Exploration of the opening title sequence from multiple video angles with various audio mixes and two commentary tracks
Production design and still photographs with commentaries
The Notebooks: Full motion video details "John Doe's" writings
Theatrical trailer

Looks like no new extras from the Platinum edition (unless you count the book) but that edition was pretty stacked already.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

I used to like the digibooks, but now I think of them as a waste of space. They never have anything interesting in them. It's not like a Criterion booklet where you get a couple of scholarly essays. It's usually just a bunch of press kit crap and a few trivial factoids that are generally covered in the bonus features anyway.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Mega Shark vs. Giant Octopus

In true DVDBeaver fashion, there are nude shots of both the shark and the octopus.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

doctor thodt posted:

Glee Season 1 9/14 with a $89.99 MSRP...yeowch.

More info here: http://www.tvsquad.com/2010/05/19/exclusive-glee-season-1-dvd-first-look/

A $10.00 rebate ("Gleebate") if you bought the "Road to Sectionals" DVD. Still loving steep, though. What does that translate to in Amazon pre-order price? Somewhere around $55?

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Red Riding Trilogy coming August 17th

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

August 3rd:
Blood Simple
Bull Durham
Escape from New York
Kalifornia

C'mon Coens, give us O Brother.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Sporadic posted:

FitFortDanga did you get By Brakhage yet?

No, I got the shipping notice yesterday. If I'm lucky it'll get here by the weekend.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Egbert Souse posted:

Egbert, I keep meaning to ask you what your avatar is from. Whenever I see it, I think it's David Lynch.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Neither Ben Stiller nor "TCG" nor that picture tells me what movie that is. The Crimson Guy? Texas Chainsaw Gassacre? I feel like this should be obvious but I'm drawing a blank.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Happy Together looks good.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Amazon's got some decent deals in their new sale.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Twilight Zone season 1, 9/14. 5 discs, $99.95 MSRP, all extras from the previous DVDs plus new ones.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Sporadic posted:

Ugh, the cover art for Twilight Zone Season 1 is horrid.

Ehhh... it could be better, but I don't think it's offensively bad.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

The Digital Bits posted:

Warner has now officially announced The Goonies: 25th Anniversary Collector's Edition on DVD and Blu-ray for release on 11/2 (SRP $39.92 and $49.99). Special features on both versions will include cast commentary with director Richard Donner and all seven actors, The Making of The Goonies documentary, Cyndi Lauper The Goonies 'R Good Enough music video, deleted scenes and the theatrical trailer. So not much new on the disc itself, other than the new HD transfer and 5.1 lossless audio. However, the packaging will include "an exciting new board game, collectible storyboard prints, a 1985 souvenir magazine with captivating behind-the-scenes stories about the actual filming in Astoria, Oregon, including the production design that transformed Astoria into the "Goon Docks," and a reprint of a 2009 article with updates of the entire cast, as well as producer Steven Spielberg and director Richard Donner."

I don't like the movie, but I think this is the first "big box of crap" release I've seen that actually has cool stuff in it.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

DVDBeaver reviews:

Showgirls (surprisingly little nudity)
The Aviator
Everlasting Moments
The Illusionist
Crimson Tide

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

nemesis_hub posted:

Anyone have any idea of the chances of Cassavetes' stuff on blu-ray? I have a hard time imagining that the source material would benefit from the upgrade, but I'm considering getting the 5-disc Criterion set and I wanted to see if there's been any rumours.

I wouldn't expect it any time soon. Cassavetes was never too concerned with visuals, and his films aren't crying out for a hi-def presentation. I would bet that if Criterion ever does get around to releasing his stuff on Blu, they'll cherry-pick Woman Under the Influence and Faces instead of upgrading the whole set.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Keanu Grieves posted:

This makes me hope that some day they'll make a time-traveling war epic called Pattoon.

I like Platton more.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Captain Charisma posted:

Why exactly do Shoot Em Up, John Rambo, and Beowulf have digibooks?

Because suckers like doctor thodt will buy them

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Criminal Minded posted:

DVDBeaver on The White Ribbon

Can't loving wait.

Wasn't this posted like a month ago?

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Ah, I just received my Lady Vengeance (with bonus eBayable Oldboy, Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance and collector's tin).

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Neo_Reloaded posted:

Is it from the general-release June 15th wave, or the Best Buy exclusive from mid-March? If it's the "new" one, can you check if Oldboy now has lossless audio? If it does, I'd buy it from you.

It's the new one. Audio options listed are:

Korean: Dolby Digital-EX 5.1 Surround
Korean: Dolby Digital 2.0 Stereo
English: Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround
English: Dolby Digital 2.0 Stereo

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

ClydeUmney posted:

Are you going to check out the "Fade to Black" cut? If so, post a review in the "Rate" thread. I've always been curious about it.

:viggo: "Fade to White"

I dunno, I haven't decided yet. I'm curious about it too, but it seems like a shame to do that to such wonderful cinematography.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Does anyone know if this Herzog box is region-locked or not?

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Ah well, that sucks.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Robert Analog posted:

Have they fixed the Oldboy lossless audio on The Vengeance Trilogy? I'm struggling to find any information about this. Also does anyone know if the tin is only available from Best Buy?

I ordered from Amazon and got the tin.

Speaking of that, I don't think I want to bother trying to eBay the thing, so if anyone wants a Vengeance Trilogy tin (just the empty tin), PM me and I'll hook you up for a couple dollars shipping.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Robert Analog posted:

I'll take it off your hands assuming the fixed version doesn't come with the tin.

e; Walmart has it online for $40 but I can't find out whether or not it has the tin or the fixed copy and probably won't know until it arrives if you don't mind holding onto for a bit I'd appreciate it.

I'll hold onto it until someone PM's me about it.

Some cover art:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

I was just listening to an interview with Tommy Wiseau, and he says The Room will be released on Blu-Ray "before Christmas", with new behind-the-scenes footage. Glad I held off on the DVD.

• Locked thread