Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

doctor thodt posted:

That's not final, it's from the promo sheet. That may end up being the cover, but until I see a wacky C on there, I'll reserve judgement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Beaver Patrol posted:

Seven, Fight Club, or even Zodiac feel like they'd be better fits for the Criterion collection. Not that there respective DVD/Blu releases are bad, but as far as influential Fincher films go, I'd put all of those above Benjamin Button. Why exactly was Benjamin Button chosen anyway?

Fincher gets prestige, Criterion gets $$$$$$$

I dislike Senso. Oh well, as long as they're still bringing Hausu, I'm happy.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

doctor thodt posted:

Bought some new shelves in the hope that they'd free up a ton of space for me to house future acquisitions.

Click here for the full 1600x1168 image.

:sigh:

Well, you've got more room to grow than I do. I'm almost out of space again. With the new Columbia and WB noir boxes coming, I think I'll be at capacity. Time to start pruning again.

You could get rid of some of those games. How many of those are you realistically going to play again?

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Captain Charisma posted:

I think they're DVD

Yeah they are. I have my Blus and DVDs all in one unit. Sorry if that was confusing.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Egbert Souse posted:

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/forum/thread/301882/lionsgate-press-release-the-third-man-and-delicatessen-blu-ray

Specs for The Third Man via Lionsgate.

Doesn't look like a total loss, but there's a major error that sums up Lionsgate for the most part.

Sweet, Delicatessen at last!

I must be too tired to spot it, what is this major error? Is it the misspelling of Cotten?

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Looks like DVDBeaver prefers the Criterion Red Shoes over the region B release.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

I don't follow video games much either, but I would have sworn that Half-Life 2 came out ages ago.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

doctor thodt posted:

Also the next 2 Harry Potter Ultimate Editions are coming out October 19. Fuuuuck that's going to be an expensive month.

I'm glad these don't have extended versions on them, makes them easier to skip. If the boxes weren't so loving huge, I might consider it.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Bambi posted:

From what I'm reading, they may indeed contain the extended cuts. People are just assuming they won't because the specs listed over at Blu-Ray.com don't explicitly state that they will be included, but that doesn't mean they won't be.

The running times in the press release are the same as the running times listed on IMDb, though. There's also no mention of extended cuts. Eh, we'll see. I probably won't buy them either way. Even if they are extended cuts, it'll most likely be just the deleted scenes spliced back into the movie.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

doctor thodt posted:

DVDBeaver calls Early Spring a contender for Blu-Ray of the year.

:viggo: Late Spring (which is also a much better movie than Early Spring)

It's apparently confirmed that Harry Potter 3 & 4 "ultimate editions" will not be extended cuts.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Just what nobody wanted (although doctor thodt will undoubtedly buy it): Red Dragon coming October 12th.

Feature commentary with director Brett Ratner and writer Ted Tally
Music score commentary with composer Danny Elfman
Lecter's FBI file and life history
Inside the Mind of a Serial Killer, hosted by John Douglas
Anthony Hopkins: Lecter and Me
The Making of Red Dragon
Additional scenes
Brett Ratner's student film
Visual effects
Screen and film tests
The Burning Wheelchair
The Leeds' House Crime Scene
Storyboards to final feature comparison

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

doctor thodt posted:

Nothing that I know of, but we'll surely see something if/when the next movie kicks into gear.

The Alien Anthology is coming to the US October 26 and will contain approximately 60 hours of bonus features. Full details here.

Thank god they're not calling it the "quadrilogy" again.

I guess I'll buy the whole box even though I don't like 3 that much and I've never seen 4. That suite of bonus features is impressive, to say the least.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Sporadic posted:

Are you sure it wasn't because you used the Italian name instead of the English name that is on the box (The Leopard)?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Leopard-Blu-ray-Burt-Lancaster/dp/B0038NQMUS

I know if somebody came in and asked for Il buono, il brutto, il cattivo I would look at them like a deer in headlights.

Pardon me, my good man, do you happen to have Les quatre cents coups available for purchase on Blu-Ray high-definition disc? Be a good fellow and check your inventory for me, if you please!

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

The Digital Bits is rumoring that the Apocalypse Now Blu-Ray will include both cuts AND Hearts of Darkness. No mention of the aspect ratio, though.

Also, season 1 of Space 1999 coming this fall.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

doctor thodt posted:

Oct. 5
The Exorcist
The Maltese Falcon

Oct. 12
The Darjeeling Limited
The Magician

Oct. 19
Psycho
The Seven Samurai

Oct. 26
Alien Anthology
House
Paths of Glory

Edited for me. Still a pretty packed slate. I'm kind of dreading how long it's going to take to get through that Alien box.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Some photos of the collectible Alien packaging.

It kinda looks like it's made out of Gummi. I think it's time for Trolli to start product developoment on Gummi Facehuggers.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Unrated edition of MacGruber coming September 7, with commentary, a deleted scene, and a gag reel.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

doctor thodt posted:

At last, Amélie seems to have finally gotten a solid Blu-Ray release (from Alliance Canada). It's 1080p, has English subs, and contains the following extras:

- Audio Commentaries with Jean Pierre Jeunet (English and French)
- The Look of Amelie
- Fantasies of Audrey Tautou
- Screen Tests
- Q&A with Director Jean-Pierre Jeunet
- Q&A with Director and Cast
- Storyboard Comparison
- An Intimate Chat with Jean-Pierre Jeunet
- "Home Movies" Inside the Making Of Amelie
- Trailer and TV Spots

Import away!

I'm glad to see that it carries over all the extras from the double-disc DVD. I think I'll wait to see some reviews first, though.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

doctor thodt posted:

The Milk of Sorrow has no Blu-Ray planned as of yet

:sigh: my favorite of the nominees

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

The World is not that great, I wouldn't recommend a blind buy of it.

I haven't seen Rock Hunter, but it's in my queue. I'm very interested in Tashlin because Artists and Models is hands down the greatest Lewis & Martin flick.

All the others are really good. I still can't bring myself to import, though some of those are very tempting.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Fag Boy Jim posted:

you're kidding, right, that's one of the most hilariously bad covers I've seen other than the ones on Redbox machines

The cover is not as messy and confused and jumbled as the movie.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

doctor thodt posted:

Psycho reviewed. Lo and behold, Universal seems to have done a good job.

Now they just need to release Vertigo, Rear Window, The Birds, Shadow of a Doubt, Rope and Torn Curtain, and I can replace my bulky "Masterpiece Collection".

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

doctor thodt posted:

Hrmm. I liked the simplicity of the original design from the one-sheet much better. This one hurts my eyes.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Beaver on Psycho.

Gary did his best to include some tits.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

GonSmithe posted:

I don't know if this is because it's the dvd/digital copy too, but, Amazon has a different cover up:

Yes, that's a different product.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

God, shut the hell up about Crystal Skull, you boring fucks.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Blodskur posted:

What, no boob screengrab?

Well, he did his best:

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

bmmello posted:

I haven't seen it, but it seems like a film bound to have tits. Where are they?

Anyway, this looks good, I might check it out. I have never seen a Greenaway.

Greenaway almost always has tits. And schlongs. Can't remember if there are specifically any in ZOO, but probably. I don't recall the film very well (and last time I tried to watch it, I wasn't that into it) but I might take a chance and buy it anyway. I might as well do my part to encourage more Greenaway releases.

edit: gently caress it, went ahead and pre-ordered it

FitFortDanga fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Aug 19, 2010

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

The Digital Bits posted:

Both Lolita and Barry Lyndon are currently being prepared for Blu-ray Disc release by the studio in 2011. And here's the even better news: They hinted that the films are going to be available both as singles AND as part of a new Stanley Kubrick Blu-ray Collection! We're waiting on more details, and no doubt it will be a while before the release gets officially announced, but it appears that Warner plans to really do their Kubrick catalog up right on Blu-ray in the new year!

With Criterion releasing Paths of Glory, and almost certainly The Killing sometime in the not-too-distant future, things are looking sweet for Kubrick fans.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

I think I'll wait for the eventual slimmed-down keepcase release. I like BotRK, but not enough to devote that much shelf space to it.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Full television version of Fanny and Alexander coming out in Japan, November 26. C'mon Criterion :(

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Kino posted:

KINO LORBER IS PROUD TO ANNOUNCE THE HOME ENTERTAINMENT RELEASE OF METROPOLIS

THE COMPLETE METROPOLIS

PREBOOK: OCTOBER 19, 2010
STREET DATE: NOVEMBER 16, 2010

YEAR: 1927 / 2010
GENRE: SCIENCE FICTION / CLASSIC

Metropolis takes place in 2026, when the populace is divided between workers who must live in the dark underground and the rich who enjoy a futuristic city of splendor. The tense balance of these two societies is realized through images that are among the most famous of the 20th century, many of which presage such sci-fi landmarks as 2001: A Space Odyssey and Blade Runner. Lavish and spectacular, with elaborate sets and modern science fiction style, Metropolis stands today as the crowning achievement of the German silent cinema.

Kino International is proud to announce the DVD and long awaited first time ever Blu-ray release of the new restoration of Fritz Lang's 1927 science fiction masterpiece METROPOLIS, now with 25 minutes of lost footage and the original Gottfried Huppertz score. This new 147-minute version (being released as THE COMPLETE METROPOLIS), opened theatrically in April 2010 earning over $350,000 at the box office, and since it’s original restoration, has gone on to earn $1,000,000 in theatrical ticket sales!

When it was first screened in Berlin on January 10, 1927, the sci-fi epic ran an estimated 153 minutes. After its premiere engagement, in an effort to maximize the film's commercial potential, the film's distributors (UFA in Germany, Paramount in the U.S.) drastically shortened METROPOLIS, which had been a major disappointment at the German box office. By the time it debuted in the United States later that year, the film ran approximately 90 minutes (exact running times are difficult to determine because silent films were not always projected at a standardized speed).

METROPOLIS went on to become one of the cornerstones of science fiction cinema foreshadowing BLADE RUNNER and THE MATRIX to name just a few recent examples. Testament to its enduring popularity, the film has undergone restorations in 1984 and again in 1987. The 2001 restoration combined footage from four archives and ran at a triumphant 124 minutes. And at the time was widely believed that this would be the most complete version of Lang's film that contemporary audiences could ever hope to see. But, in the summer of 2008, the curator of the Buenos Aires Museo del Cine discovered a 16mm dupe negative that was considerably longer than any existing print. It included not merely a few additional snippets, but 25 minutes of "lost" footage (about a fifth of the film) that had not been seen since its 1927 debut in Berlin. The discovery of such a significant amount of material called for yet another restoration, carefully executed by Anke Wilkening of the Murnau Stiftung (Foundation) (the German institution that is the caretaker of virtually all pre 1945 German films), Martin Koerber, Film Department Curator of the Deutche Kinemateque and on the music side, by Frank Stoebel. Regarding the quality of the added footage Ms. Wilkening has said: "The work on the restoration teaches us once more that no restoration is ever definitive... Even if we are allowed for the first time to come as close to the first release as ever before, the new version will still remain an approach. The rediscovered sections which change the film's composition, and at the same time always be recognizable through their damages as those parts that had been lost for 80 years."

DVD ITEM#K690
UPC# 7 38329 06902 5
SRP: $29.95

DVD Features:

- Original 1927 score by Gottfried Huppertz, performed by the Rundfunk Symphony Orchestra, Berlin, conducted by Frank Strobel presented in 5.1 Dolby Digital Surround
- Limited Edition Collectible "O-Card" Packaging
- Voyage to Metropolis, a 50-minute documentary on the making and restoration of the film
- Interview with Paula Felix-Didier, curator of the Museo del Cine, Buenos Aires, where the missing footage was discovered
- 2010 re-release trailer

BLU-RAY ITEM#K713
UPC# 7 38329 07132 5
SRP: $39.95

Blu-ray Features:

- Original 1927 score by Gottfried Huppertz, performed by the Rundfunk Symphony Orchestra, Berlin, conducted by Frank Strobel presented in DTS HD Master Audio 5.1
- Limited Edition Collectible 3-D Lenticuar Box Packaging
- HD Video: 1920 x 1080p
- Voyage to Metropolis, a 50-minute documentary on the making and restoration of the film (presented in HD)
- Interview with Paula Felix-Didier, curator of the Museo del Cine, Buenos Aires, where the missing footage was discovered
- 2010 re-release trailer

Seems like they could have come up with more extras than that.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

They didn't even bother to port over their old commentary. Granted, they'd have to re-cut it for the new version, but that wouldn't be so tough.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

An amusing comment on the Blu-ray.com announcement for Metropolis:

someone who doesn't understand silent movies posted:

Fantastic release, will be a first day buy for me.
Lets hope we get the original mono mix, I hate these releases with 5.1 HD Audio that were originally in mono, just give us the original Audio Track.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Jay Dub posted:

How many copies of Toy Story does a person need????

zero

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

doctor thodt posted:

Fantasia / Fantasia 2000 11/30

The Digital Bits posted:

Disney has just officially confirmed the Blu-ray Disc release (and DVD re-release) of Fantasia and Fantasia 2000 on 11/30. You'll be able to buy a 4-Disc Blu-ray Special Edition (SRP $45.99) and a 2-Disc DVD Special Edition (SRP $39.99). Each will include both films. Let's start with the DVD, which will include Fantasia (fully restored) on one disc, and Fantasia 2000 on the other. Extras on the DVDs will include the Musicana and Disney Family Museum features, along with audio commentaries. Both of these discs will also be included in the 4-disc Blu-ray, which will add a Blu-ray version of each film. Exclusive features on these Blu-rays will include the Dali & Disney: A Date with Destino documentary, the long awaited Destino film itself, The Schultheis Notebook, Disney's Virtual Vault (BD-Live), an Interactive Art Gallery and DisneyView. The aspect ratio for Fantasia will be the original 1.33:1, while Fantasia 2000 will be 1.78:1. Audio on the Blu-rays will be in 7.1 DTS-HD Master Audio (48 KHz/24-bit), along with 5.1 DEHT tracks in French and Spanish. You'll get English SDH, as well as French and Spanish subtitles.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

I just wish there was 2-disc Blu-Ray option, without the DVD copies.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Bambi posted:

Price-wise, I'm betting it wouldn't make much difference. You'll probably be able to get it for $20 or less on release day with the inevitable $10 coupon.

I'm more concerned about space than price.

vvvv that's good to know. I don't have any 4-disc Disney sets.

FitFortDanga fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Aug 28, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Magic Hate Ball posted:

October 26.

That month is going to be such a drain on my wallet. And September. And November. And hopefully December!

Not to be a dick, but this is really old news. Don't you read the Criterion thread?

• Locked thread