Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
This cannot come soon enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
I gave up hope of Apocalypse Now at 2.35:1 on home video a while ago, I'm just happy that the blu-ray may be around the corner. :allears:

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
Add me to the list of people who really likes War of the Worlds.

And Top Gun Tom Cruise's best movie? :geno:

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

doctor thodt posted:

War of the Worlds reviewed

gently caress me sideways.

What's all this grain bullshit? I sure hope Warner fixes this. :downs:

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

Jeff Wiiver posted:

Edit: ^^^ Luckily, so is Steven Seagal and (most of) his movies.

Just got finished watching Criterion's Blu of Repulsion (dir. Roman Polanski). Never thought a black and white film could look so good. Criterion is really knocking it out of the park with these transfers, can't wait to see what else they have in store for us. In regards to the film itself, does anyone else find it ironic that the film hints that Carole's extreme fear of men was brought about by some sort of (presumably) sexual childhood trauma, given what Polanski has been accused of?

There's definitely some interesting things to poke around at in that movie, given Polanski's reputed misogynistic streak. The guy's Playboy interview from the late 60s is pretty bad in that regard. It's also extra juicy because of the adolescent naivete that Deneuve's character projects - it's like if somebody made a horror movie about how boys have cooties. Well, that and the rape.

I love, love, love Repulsion. I'm just waiting for the next B&N Criterion sale so I can pick up a bunch of their blus - I also want to grab Days of Heaven so badly it hurts.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

Jeff Wiiver posted:

Would you happen to have a link to that interview?

Also, I didn't really see it as him being misogynistic, mostly because the majority of the male characters in the film were creepy pervs who seemed only interested in Carole's body (with the exception of Colin, who gets brutally murdered all the same). Repulsion seems more of a pessimistic take on romantic relations than anything else.

It's not online as far as I know, I read it in the Playboy Interviews: The Directors book (which is awesome and anybody who likes movies should pick it up). The Polanski interview is the best one in the book.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

FitFortDanga posted:

C'mon Coens, give us O Brother.

DO! NOT! SEEK! THE TREASURE!

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
Any opinions on the blu-rays of Eyes Wide Shut, The Shining and A Clockwork Orange? I was at Best Buy grabbing Kill Bill and had EWS in my hands but with the mixed reviews and the fact that I'm nearly broke I figured I'd wait until I started working to get it.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

Magic Hate Ball posted:

I loving love Eyes Wide Shut but it's definitely not a blind-buy. Visually they're amazing Blu-Rays, but the audio's kind of :effort: Worth buying the ones you like, but EWS is kind of a rent-and-decide.

Well I hear with a Cochlear implant so :toot:

EDIT: Oh, and when I said "mixed reviews" on EWS, I meant the blu-ray's picture. I love that movie.

Criminal Minded fucked around with this message at 04:19 on May 31, 2010

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
I'll have to do that ASAP, MHB, especially for the prices you can find it. $10 for that movie is just ridiculous. Thanks.

doctor thodt posted:

Life reviewed
Shutter Island reviewed
Animation Express reviewed
Bad Boys reviewed

Shutter Island looks fantastic, drat.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
Lucky me, I went to Best Buy just to browse, no real intention of buying, until I saw that the two Kill Bill blu-rays, which I just bought a couple of days ago, were on sale for $7 less. So I got $15 back and used that to buy Eyes Wide Shut, basically getting a free movie. Just watched it, looked fantastic. I love that movie.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
Speaking of The Third Man, anybody know of any good places to pick it up? Used isn't a dealbreaker. I'm such an idiot for not grabbing it before it went OOP (even though I wasn't yet an HD convert). :(

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
I watched Mulholland Drive for the first time about a week ago, and plan to watch it again sometime soon to get a better grip on it. Great news, though.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
DVDBeaver on The White Ribbon

quote:

Without the slightest hint of hyperbole, I can honestly say that this might be the best looking blu-ray that I've ever come across.

Can't loving wait.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
Maybe, I have a terrible memory for this sort of thing.

EDIT: I didn't find anything other than my own Amazon link to the blu-ray. No review though. Yes, my time is this worthless that I just combed like 10 pages looking for a mention.

Criminal Minded fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Jun 15, 2010

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

Egbert Souse posted:

Just bought The African Queen, There Will Be Blood, and Bonnie and Clyde from Amazon. The first is $16.49, the other two are $15.49. Also got Doctor Zhivago for $21.99 and Gone with the Wind (3-disc Scarlett Edition) for $26.99 from Deep Discount.

I normally don't like double dipping this much, but there's not going to be deals this good for a while.

gently caress, do you know how long those prices will last? I start making money on Thursday and I've been waiting for a reasonable price on There Will Be Blood ever since I started buying.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Leopard-Blu-ray/10495/#Screenshots

Called it the best Criterion blu-ray yet. :toot:

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
Off topic, anybody know any reputable sites to sell DVDS to in bulk for cash? I can't tell which of these sites I can trust.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

FitFortDanga posted:

WB noir boxes coming

Say what?! :toot:

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
Is the transfer going to be the same? I'd like to have the Criterion Third Man for entirely superficial reasons, but all I really care about ultimately is having the film in the best transfer possible.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
Haha, welp. gently caress.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
I just remembered that I PMed doctor thodt about his TTM copy and didn't get a response. :saddowns:

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
God drat The General looks amazing.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
I used it to pick up Pinocchio and Blade Runner. I may go to another one tomorrow that has Last Year at Marienbad in stock but I'll probably just sit on my money until the big B&N sale.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

doctor thodt posted:

Don't forget that Barnes & Noble's Criterion sale begins tomorrow. If you're buying 3 or more titles it pays to have a membership.

How much does it pay? Because I'm buying around 20. Membership is $25 right?

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

doctor thodt posted:

Yep. With a membership each title is $13 after your member discount and coupon as opposed to $20. You'll save a pretty penny if you're getting that many.

Nope, just to save extra money.

Ah - is that the $5 coupon thing? I've read a bunch about that, and it seems some people were getting turned away when trying to use one coupon per item. Even so the membership is still worth it at 20 titles, saving $2 per saves me $15 after the price of membership. If I can get them down to $13 I'll love that. Do the coupons work online?

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

doctor thodt posted:

You can only use it once online, but you can use them infinitely in-store depending on your cashier. It's just a matter of not getting too greedy. The last two times this sale rolled around, I didn't have any trouble picking up 2 titles at a time (using the coupon twice per visit). Other people have had success using it 10+ times per visit if they find a cashier who just doesn't give a drat, but I don't like pushing my luck. The sale is going on for two weeks, so as long as you're patient and have time to visit your store frequently, you should be able to get everything you want and save a bunch of money.

Sweet. I'll just have to make sure all the titles I want are at a store nearby and pickup whatever remains online. Thanks.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

Funkyboss posted:

You're lucky - I just got back and wanted to get a bunch of discs but the lady would only take one coupon so I got the Yojimbo/Sanjuro set. I've got The Man Who Fell To Earth waiting for me at another B&N but something tells me I'm going to be running all over town for a couple of days to get everything I want.

Yeah, I only got them to take one $5 off but I added in a $5 off $50 so I wouldn't be walking home with only one thing. Picked up The Leopard, Repulsion and Days of Heaven for $52. Gonna try some of the other locations/go back at other times to try and get two or three $5 off at a time.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

FitFortDanga posted:

The Digital Bits is rumoring that the Apocalypse Now Blu-Ray will include both cuts AND Hearts of Darkness. No mention of the aspect ratio, though.

If they don't include the original cut, and they don't put it on one disc, I will...well, I'll be very angry. :argh:

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

Honest Thief posted:

Did he just confused Joker with Dent? What the hell he's talking about "faces departin their bodies"

No more drugs...for that man.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

doctor thodt posted:

Apocalypse Now 10/19

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=4914

I involuntarily clenched my teeth, that's how excited I got when I saw this post. :v: Jesus loving christ, October is a treasure trove of releases.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
I won't hold my breath but that would be awesome. I've never even seen it in 2.35:1.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
:toot: Fuuuuuck yes!

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
In 20 years movies will be beamed directly into our consciousness

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

ProfessorClumsy posted:

That's hideous. Does the double-bill consist of Grindho and Housegr?

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
The Texas Chain Saw Massacre is an upgrade even if it's not gonna look great due to the film's low-budget production, plus it's only $10 at Best Buy.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

FitFortDanga posted:

Full television version of Fanny and Alexander coming out in Japan, November 26. C'mon Criterion :(

I'm expecting (hoping?) that will be announced for December, or at least early next year.

Has there ever been any word on a Vertigo blu-ray? I ask because I bought the poster yesterday and realized I hadn't seen it in way too long.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
I remember it being mentioned that somebody was recording a commentary for the upcoming Mulholland Drive blu-ray, has there been any more information on that? That's a day one buy whenever it hits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
The White Ribbon was my favorite film of last year (or in a dead heat with Inglourious Basterds), but it's probably not for everybody. Very slow, austere and mysterious. It's so hard for me to resist buying it in tandem with something else (probably North by Northwest) because it's hard to find it for less than $30, but I don't have the money and I need to save for all the cool poo poo coming out in October/November. (Not to mention The Thin Red Line in a few weeks.)

• Locked thread