Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Bambi posted:

Speaking of this, why is nobody else doing it?
I haven't seen every blu, but some that stand out to me in terms of PQ:
Fight Club
Planet Earth
Fantastic Mr Fox
The Third Man
Inglourious Basterds
Blade Runner
Dark Knight
Star Trek
Moon

ProfessorClumsy posted:

I'm finally making the jump to blu-ray. Should I rebuy Blade Runner?
Which version do you have now?

fenix down fucked around with this message at 14:33 on May 5, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

ProfessorClumsy posted:

The five disc "Ultimate Collector's Edition".
In that case I'd say get the bd from Netflix before you make the decision. I have the Final Cut dvd and opted for other titles instead of double-dipping.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Funkyboss posted:

This post makes me very happy in my bathing suit area. Darjeeling Ltd wasn't my favorite Wes Anderson but I haven't seen it since the theater so I need to give it another shot.
I just watched it again the other day. The main difference between Darjeeling and his other films is that it's pretty serious, and not punctuated with humor. To me, the only laugh out loud scene is when they are picking up the hot rod. So the movie props itself up on the characterizations of 3 mentally disturbed people - and really everyone they come across is dealing with issues of their own, so it is very dark.

However, anyone who has seen it really owes it to themselves to watch the behind the scenes featurette. The amount of artistic detail is astounding.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Question - the only recently filmed blu rays I've been disappointed with quality-wise are Hot Rod and Give Em Hell Malone. Were they shot with cheap film that doesn't convert to HD very well or something?

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

doctor thodt posted:

Alright well I set it up if anyone's interested:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3304220
don't expect too much. this one never got off the ground -> http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3287444

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

They really need to remaster Rushmore for bd release. The version I have is non-anamorphic. :(

edit for technicality

fenix down fucked around with this message at 16:38 on May 14, 2010

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

ultraviolence123 posted:

Not sure where else to ask this question... I bought Edge of Darkness, put it in my dinosaur Sony BDP-S300 player and it wouldn't load the movie. Not a big deal, I have a PS3 Slim as well, and it instantly loaded on that console. However, the movie, and pretty much any Blu-ray I've watched using the PS3 is impossibly bright and artificial looking vs. my regular Blu-ray player. Are there any changes I should make to my console so that Bu-rays will look natural and film-like like it does on the standalone player? Both the standalone player and the PS3 are connected using HDMI. Any help would be appreciated.
Under video settings, most of the defaults should be fine on auto. I have 1080/24 set to on instead of auto. As far as display settings, from what I've read, the optimal is RGB - limited, and super white - on.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

:siren: tom cruise derail in the blu ray thread! :siren:

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Is Saving Private Ryan fixed yet?

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Volcasarus ReX posted:

This movie was amazing, but they could have done the first 35 minutes a little better. It just moved a little slow.
Are you going to get the blu ray?

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

doctor thodt posted:

"The funniest comedy since 'The Hangover'!"
-God
At least they used green lettering instead of red

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

uncle jimbo posted:

So I got my new Saving Private Ryan in the mail yesterday... anyone else try theirs? Is it fixed?
Yeah and it owns.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

The Lucas posted:

Is this guy joking?

http://hollywood-elsewhere.com/2010/06/burned_by_stage.php
Third Man looked loving great. That guy needs to be shot.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

FitFortDanga posted:

Woohoo! October 5th can't come soon enough.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Muppetjedi posted:

I'm thinking of picking up Saving Private Ryan soon, have they fixed the sound issues and is there any way to identify the fixed copies?

doctor thodt posted:

:haw:

The fixed copies have a yellow upc, like so:

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Bambi posted:

Can somebody explain to me why The White Ribbon (out this coming Tuesday) is 35 loving dollars on Amazon? I mean, I know Sony Pictures Classics stuff usually commands a high price, but I've never seen one quite this high, especially just before the release.

It sucks because this is a title I definitely want to have in my hands day 1, and the cheapest option right now is looking like $30 at Best Buy :sigh:
If they had a sale on it, they wouldn't actually increase sales. Because no one buys indie/foreign movies.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Fantabulero posted:

On that note: I'm kind of tempted to switch up to Blu-ray for Firefly and Serenity (I have both on DVD). To those who have it: is the Firefly set worth the upgrade? Obviously it'll look nicer than up-converted DVD, but is it enough to justify dropping $50?
Serenity definitely, Firefly no unless it's on sale.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

^^^ nice

doctor thodt posted:

If this happens you can blame all the assholes on various HD forums ordering tens of copies each.
I just pre-ordered one so hopefully it's not all sold out yet :D

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Sporadic posted:

But B&N still have the best price on Twilight Zone Season 1.

$41.99 after 30% off coupon P4A4N7P, which is good through 11/29

http://video.barnesandnoble.com/DVD/Twilight-Zone-Season-1/e/14381642155/?itm=1&USRI=twilight+zone
Thanks a lot, definitely picking this up.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Steve Yun posted:

Thanks for the info, guys. As it turns out, I was watching Shoshanna running from Hans Landa in Inglourious Basterds, and noticed that anything above zero sharpness was giving her annoyingly obvious edge enhancement (when her dark silhouette was against the bright sky)
What brand of TV do you have? My Sony Bravia looks pretty sweet with the sharpness cranked up to like 20 (out of 30).

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Steve Yun posted:

Bravia EX400 46"

I thought everything looked great at 15/30 sharpness for the first few minutes (OMG you can see every pore in everyone's skin!) but after a while I started noticing halos in high contrast shots and now I'm concluding that anything above 0 is artificially added sharpening.
I'm gonna try it out when I get home then. I love messing around with the settings.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

"highest possible video and audio" sounds like utter bullshit. Lucas is probably going to spend the entire budget adding more poo poo into the original trilogy and there will be no money left for remastering.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

doctor thodt posted:

edit: What's Up, Doc? is only $10 on Amazon. Please buy it.
http://www.amazon.com/Whats-Up-Doc-...ASIN=B003IVXRAI
I would but there's nothing else that I want (to get free shipping)

Of course there is always the Alice in Wonderland pre-order...

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Sirotan posted:

Is anyone still waiting for their Battle Royale blu-ray? This is getting ridiculous, over at the blu-ray.com forums it seems like most people in the US have already received theirs. I'm trying to decide if I should just ask Amazon for a refund at this point, which will really be a bitter pill since the set is sold out everywhere and the Special Edition coming out in a month or two is region B so if I want the region free version I'm going to have to get it off ebay for 3x the price.

And I preordered it in October. :arghfist::smith:

vvvvv Yeah I meant October but somehow wrote August. Still, its been way too long.
Mine arrived Thursday. Yours is more than likely still in the mail, but if it doesn't come this week you should look into it.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Tesh posted:

The Hastings near me is having a 40% off used blu rays deal AND they are buy 1, get 1 for $1. Pretty unbelievable. I picked up A Bug's Life, Ratatouille, Ponyo, Toy Story 3, Piranha 3D, and The Last Exorcism for about $45.
Crap there are no Hastings stores in Ohio :I

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

morestuff posted:

What's the rationale behind this?
I got a free VOD of Dr Strangelove when I bought the bd. I really don't see the point either.

Edit: after some googling it looks like they are trying to drum up more interest in the service to compete with netflix and hulu+ on internet TVs.

fenix down fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Jan 25, 2011

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Bambi posted:

I am loath to get rid of them, but I've never really traveled and decided I would love to just hit the road for a few months.

:sigh:

I know this is ultimately what it might have to come down to, but the prospect of shipping out hundreds of different packages is so daunting. I'm going to lose a ton of money on shipping supplies alone, and listing all those auctions on ebay/keeping track of them/etc is such a pain in the rear end. For a few days just let me have my fantasy that somebody will come along and drop 20 grand in my lap.
list it as one lot with a reserve price. (do they still have reserve prices?)

also where do you live i'll take some off your hands if it isn't far :)

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Bambi posted:

They do....but I think they also have an "or best offer" function for buy-it-now listings too. Hmm, thanks for reminding me of that!

The proceeds from the Blu-Rays would be the funding for my travels, though :(
Just read the fine print because they'll probably charge you like $500 even if it doesn't sell.

Sporadic is right though, you're gonna make a bigger profit if you put more effort into it.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

I'm sure this has already been asked, but will the Aliens bluray be released individually?

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

japtor posted:

I only got a BD drive a few weeks ago, but it seemed like there were a whole bunch of deals for the Tron sets at a lot of retailers, along with Disney coupons for another $5 off or so on top of that.
I got Legacy for $13 shipped on ebay.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

LesterGroans posted:

So, I got my first Blu-ray player a couple weeks ago and will actually be getting a TV worthy of watching them on soon.

My first haul of BDs has been pretty great so far. I got a 3-pack with A History of Violence, Eastern Promises and No Country for Old Men for less than $20; a 3-pack of Bond movies for less than $20; the Back to the Future Trilogy for $15; True Grit for $20; The A-Team, The Losers, and Inception for around $10 a piece. I also plan on picking up Breaking Bad Season 3, Inglourious Basterds and Hero before I finish my expensive little spree.

I'm really psyched to explore the possibilities of Blue-ray though.
A question you will be asking yourself a lot in the coming months: Is it cheaper on ebay or amazon?

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

henpod posted:

If Sunny was a burger...
That is a tasty burger!

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Has anyone heard whether or not the upcoming Star Wars blu rays will be special edition only?

I expect them to be but here's hoping.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

GrandpaPants posted:

Is there a reason why I shouldn't get Dead Man for $8?
If you don't like the movie then you shouldn't get it!

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

I'll wait for the Alloy Orchestra version.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

feedmyleg posted:

Aren't those fullscreen? I'd much rather watch the films with lovely changes in widescreen than that (up to a point).
Correct. The only way to watch anamorphic widescreen of the original star wars is through fan edits such as Despecialized and GOUT.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Steve Yun posted:

I'm kind of curious about the Star Trek TOS blu-rays. Are there any changes made that made fans grumble, or are all the changes good ones?
After watching the entire first season with the enhanced graphics there were only 2 scenes that I can think of that seemed Lucas-ish with the CGI. Most of the time the improvements are very natural and unobtrusive.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Topper Harley posted:

This is wrong. Wall-E was an awful, preachy miss for Pixar.
Are you on crazy pills? Wall-e was a critical and commercial success.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Sporadic posted:

This one dropped to $18.99
Dangit! I just bought Fong Sai Yuk for $5 on ebay earlier today. :mad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Anyone know of deals on Attack the Block?

• Locked thread