Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Should I get the digital copy of Jurassic Park from ebayers who bought the set, or just wait til the standalone BR of JP1 comes out? (I have never seen a digital copy film)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

zeroordie posted:

I really thought I would grow out of loving Wes Anderson, but the older I get the more I love his films. Every single one.

I saw him do a little Q&A session at an Apple store a few weeks ago, he mentioned that they're putting The Royal Tenenbaums on blu-ray on next and he was going to check the transfer at Criterion soon. I really can not wait for that or The Life Aquatic to drop.
That is very good news. It's probably my favorite movie, and even though I have the Criterion DVD it still leaves much to be desired quality-wise.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Asnorban posted:

Darjeeling is probably my least favorite, but I still love it.
I have talked to a few people who were not very jazzed about Darjeeling, and it's disappointing because of how much work went into it. But rewatching it a few times, the only scene that really syncs up with Anderson's other films in the quirky department is the flashback to the day of their Dad's funeral. So I can see how people would be expecting something different.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

The Tree of Life BR had a title card stating "The producers of this film recommend that you play it loud." I laughed to myself, but they weren't kidding. The sound quality is outstanding - hands down the best BR I've listened to.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Looney Tunes Platinum Vol. One is on sale at Best Buy for $40. And the super ultimate version with a cup and some other junk is $50.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/LOONEY+...20ray&lp=2&cp=1

Edit: here is the list of cartoons included
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Looney_Tunes_Platinum_Collection:_Volume_1

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Sporadic posted:

It's a dollar cheaper on Amazon. $38.99

The crazy super ultimate edition is the same price.
Oh nice, I must have pulled up the super edition when I looked it up with the Amazon app. It's got a pretty awesome variety, my only complaint is there should be more Bugs episodes. Guess I'll have to wait until Vol. Two.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Steve Yun posted:

The camera wobbles a lot more than I ever knew (especially in the opening restaurant scene), but maybe that's because I'd only seen it on home video VHS/DVD before.
I never noticed it before either. Awesome transfer in my opinion.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Sporadic posted:

The Coen Brothers Collection (Blood Simple/Miller's Crossing/Raising Arizona/Fargo) - $32.49 http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ASIN=B00553K8FY

Sporadic posted:

:siren: Vietnam In HD (preorder) - $12.99 http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ASIN=B005BSCPCM
Thanks sporadic!!!! Bought both of these.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Jay Dub posted:

Hot Fuzz has a commentary with Tarantino as well.
It's not good! Mostly just a long-rear end bullet list of movies they've seen.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

caiman posted:

Just picked up Citizen Kane 70th Anniversary Digibook at Best Buy for $10.99. I don't see it on the website. Pretty sweet deal.
Thanks for the heads up! Snagged it on lunch break.

Other notable ones that I saw:
Inglourious Basterds and Scott Pilgrim for $10
Goodfellas and Seven digibooks for $11
The Big Lebowski digibook for $13

Edit:
also Tree of Life is $15 at Target this week.

fenix down fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Dec 28, 2011

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Sporadic posted:

No offense but you are thinking way too small. Three years ago people were predicting that Blu-Ray would be a niche format like laserdisc due to people not caring about HD and the expense of upgrading.
I know dozens of people who have HDTVs and still don't care about HD. They watch 480 and get confused when I try to explain (so I don't try).

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

FitFortDanga posted:

As expected, Manhattan looks gorgeous.
Annie Hall looks great too. It's not very fair to compare it to the non-anamorphic DVD version.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Does the Tree of Life Blu-Ray have anything good on the visual effects used in the film?
Nope. No commentary either. The only special feature is a half-hour behind the scenes featurette.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

CPL593H posted:

I'm seeing it in some places for 30-50. There's no way I'd pay more than that for a blu-ray. I thought it was strange that it was out of print, especially since it was issued so recently.
I've never seen it below $35. It's one of my favorite movies so I got it anyway, and I'd say it was worth it. The picture quality is excellent, and the Japanese audio sounds better than the DVD. One drawback is that the special features are basically nonexistent. Also it regretfully doesn't have the English dub from the VHS.

But I still have the 2-disc DVD set with plenty of special features so it's all good.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

CPL593H posted:

Are people still up in arms about the original English dub? I managed to find a copy of the VHS at a thrift store a few years back so I'm convered if I ever want to see that version again, but I had no idea until recently that it was such a touchy subject. From what I've heard the English dub from 99 was a much better translation. I remember when I first saw the newer version I noticed it was changed, but I was always fairly indifferent about it.
I'm not, but I assume some people are (on the internet). It would just be fun, that's all. I have a VHS copy, but it's blurry enough to offset any nostalgic factor the old audio could provide.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

SKEET SKEET posted:

Are any of you planning on buying the Game of Thrones Blu-Ray set? I just pre-ordered it on Amazon after seeing the bluray.com review.

Of course I haven't seen the show before, so that might make me an idiot, but between the reviews I have read online, and talking to some of my friends, it feels like a pretty safe blind purchase.
If you like this clip, you'll probably like the show.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m0qjl9PfbSw

(pardon the subtitles, it's the only unedited version of the clip I could find)

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

This has probably been asked before, but how are the special features on 2001? Trying to decide if I should rent or buy.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

If anyone picked up the Keaton Short Films Collection, there's an excellent bonus short on disc 2 called Only Me. This guy Lupino Lane borrowed Keaton's idea from The Play House and ran with it, creating a vaudeville show where he is every act and every audience member. I won't give anything away, but it's nonstop hilarious, including a bit with a baby that is downright unbelievable.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

caiman posted:

What's Amazon's normal price on that Kubrick set?
It's usually $95.

http://camelcamelcamel.com/Stanley-Kubrick-Collection-Spartacus-Strangelove/product/B004O724NG

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

If anyone wants a Disney movie magic code, send me a PM.

edit: gone forever!

fenix down fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Mar 23, 2012

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

maniacripper posted:

Care to elaborate for the rest of us who don't have it?
An intermission curtain comes down, and various muppets mug for the camera while Statler and Waldorf rip on the movie. I don't know how many intermissions there are, but in one of them, Gonzo does a trick.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

I was hoping for a non-trilogy version of Jurassic Park but this just seems sketchy.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Jurassic-Park-Augmented-Reality-Edition/dp/B007KITQTQ

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Nihonniboku posted:

Right now there is a message saying the following:

"Item Under Review

This product is not currently offered by Amazon.co.uk because a customer recently told us that the item he or she received was not as described.

We are working to resolve this as quickly as possible. In the meantime, you may still find this product available from other sellers on this page."
:eng101: That's why I said it's sketchy.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

friendo55 posted:

Just quickly skimmed the initial posts here regarding the Hitchcock Masterpiece Collection and didn't see this listed. There's a UK 'mantlepiece' Limited Edition Set of this release that is 14 films, not 15 (North By Northwest is only in the US release). With the VAT dropping off it comes to $135 CAD including shipping - much cheaper than the US or Canadian release.

I'm assuming these discs are going to be region-free but it hasn't been confirmed. What a beautiful release.
It says region-free now in the item title. :D Thanks man.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Egbert Souse posted:

NOTE - This is the UK set. It's entirely plausible the US set is different, but I'd still wait for more reviews.
I guess you get what you pay for. (it was a good deal!)

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

I'm guessing the Prometheus blu-ray doesn't have the rumored extended cut?

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Sporadic posted:

Alfred Hitchcock Masterpiece Collection - $149.99 http://www.amazon.com/dp/B008DCAG9M...4GXTHX4RD7S3GQF
Came here to post this - great set, great price!!

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

I'm hoping the Jurassic Park set is one of the super deals.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

CPL593H posted:

Why are we even arguing about this?
I paid for five minutes just now!

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Arnm616 posted:

I just picked up the Battle Royale set with the theatrical and director's cut. Having never seen the movie before, which should I watch first?
Theatrical.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Aatrek posted:

Quick snap poll: of those of you who own the original Star Trek series on Blu-ray, how many of you have cracked cases?
Mine isn't cracked, but the last disc has never stayed locked in for more than a few seconds.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

caligulamprey posted:

Can't wait for the Vincent Price collection:

Here are the titles:
THE PIT & THE PENDULUM
THE MASQUE OF THE RED DEATH
THE HAUNTED PALACE
THE FALL OF THE HOUSE OF USHER
THE ABOMINABLE DR. PHIBES
WITCHFINDER GENERAL

Only a little bit of crossover with the DVD set:
**Abominable Dr. Phibes
Dr. Phibes Rises Again
Tales of Terror
Twice Told Tales
Theater of Blood
Madhouse
**Witchfinder General

It's probably a rights issue, doesn't it seem like they could have replaced Phibes and Witchfinder with Tomb of Ligea and The Raven and make it a Poe/Corman/Price box set?

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Nate RFB posted:

I have to ask, is there really a market for GwtW in 2014? At least one for a "Ultimate Collector's Edition"? It feels like a movie that would better be forgotten and lost to the sands of time a la The Birth of a Nation. While I knew ahead of time of its various controversies, watching it for the first time last year I could not believe how truly racist and trite it turned out to be.
It will make money. http://boxofficemojo.com/alltime/adjusted.htm

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

GrandpaPants posted:

So I was going to check out The Raid 2 on blu-ray, but Amazon comments have some kerfuffle about the movie being censored? Anyone know anything about this?
Ignore those people - it's still pervasively, extremely, and brutally violent.

quote:

http://www.hypable.com/2014/04/16/raid-2-gareth-evans-director-interview/
Gareth Evans: We were very lucky because the changes were minimal. We did make some changes but they’re so subtle like cutting a couple of frames here and there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Berberian Sound Studio needs a region-free BR release. :argh:

• Locked thread