Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
I liked the list idea. Should we just do Top 10 Overall or do Best A/V, Best Supplements, etc.?

e:fb

Add Best Concert Blu and Best TV Blu, I guess

Nut Bunnies fucked around with this message at 06:18 on May 4, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
Edge enhancement should be mentioned too.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
Crouching Tiger is a bit blown out and The Forbidden Kingdom has a huge problem:

the movie sucks dick :rimshot:

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
It's been pretty much knocked down from the list since it was first released, but the first Blu-Ray to truly blow me away was No Country For Old Men. The colors and detail were ridiculous.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
They still totally pussy out on TV releases though

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
Wait, are they loving releasing The Pacific in parts?! :psypop:

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
I hated WotW because it was boring and the ending was retarded.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
A New Line release :ohdear:

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

FitFortDanga posted:

I used to like the digibooks, but now I think of them as a waste of space. They never have anything interesting in them. It's not like a Criterion booklet where you get a couple of scholarly essays. It's usually just a bunch of press kit crap and a few trivial factoids that are generally covered in the bonus features anyway.

That's what I said from the start :smug:

Most digibooks are being rereleased in real packaging anyway.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
Ah yes. While Universal kicks it like it's 2006 via DNR, Fox does it with their prices.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
I can't imagine Predator being anything more than "Well it looks OK, I guess. I mean it's clearly HD but...eh."

80s filmmakers and softness :argh:

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

doctor thodt posted:

Chloe 7/13
Charlie's Angels 8/3
Pandora and The Flying Dutchman 8/3

Yay?

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

Tony Danza Claus posted:

Why didn't anyone tell me DisneyNature: Earth was loving incredible?

Isn't that just a chopped up version of Planet Earth for kids?

That's probably why, everyone already has the full version. :smugdog:

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

FitFortDanga posted:

August 3rd:
Blood Simple
Bull Durham
Escape from New York

I wanna buy these but I know they'll be super cheap on Amazon sooner or later :ohdear:

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

FitFortDanga posted:

Egbert, I keep meaning to ask you what your avatar is from. Whenever I see it, I think it's David Lynch.

Mystery Science Theater 3000 from this episode: http://www.mst3kinfo.com/?p=2801

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
Why why why why why do these companies add these loving cheap trinkets that will be never used?

I don't even like Lost, too

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
loving MGM is the worst. Jesus Christ.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

Topper Harley posted:

Amazon just lowered Zombieland to $16.49 and Moon to $16.99 to compete with Best Buy's weekly ad.

I thought Best Buy was $14.99 for each

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
My BB didn't even have Moon :ughh:

They had Boogie Nights for $15 though so it wasn't a fruitless trip

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Didn't Moon get an infamously itty-bitty BR release?

Yep. The three or four times I had been there since its release date, they had 2 copies.

Good thing there's 8 copies of the Sci-Fi Original Movie Merlin, though!!!

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

The Lucas posted:

I don't know why people expected Moon to get a sizable release. It's an SPC title and it did normal SPC box office. It's a really good movie but that doesn't matter when you are a small part of a larger company.

It was just kind of in the middle of Sony outright ignoring the movie

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
That reminds me: Dear New Line: Release the first Austin Powers as a standalone.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
Fox is releasing White Collar S1 on 7/13.

They are, of course, shoving 14 episodes on 3 discs like they did to Burn Notice S2. :nixon:

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

Bambi posted:

Looks like Fox took a minor dump on The Illusionist which is due this coming Tuesday. It's a barebones BD-25 - there are special features, but only on the included DVD copy of the movie. There are also no subtitles on the Blu-Ray :confused:

Just to add to this, DVDBeaver says it's the exact same disc as the Alliance release, bilingual menus and all. Just buy that one if you want it.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

Volcasarus ReX posted:

I really like how they are trying to get blurays out a lot sooner after the movies hit theaters. It didn't take that long for Alice in Wonderland to come out and if Amazon.com is to be believed they will have The Losers out on bluray two months after it was released in theaters.

I really like this. I get impatient waiting for the bluray after seeing an awesome movie.

Alice in Wonderland iirc was going to come out even sooner, but the theaters went nuclear.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

Keanu Grieves posted:

Watching the Dracula Blu-Ray and man this looks like poo poo for a 1992 film.

It's kind of been lost in the DNR and EE shuffle, but Dracula is a notoriously bad transfer. It is basically the same quality as DVD iirc

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
Dracula isn't even filmlike (which is just an empty buzzword to calm down people expecting reference quality from every release), it's just poo poo.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
Why exactly do Shoot Em Up, John Rambo, and Beowulf have digibooks?

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

Bambi posted:

Looks like my namesake will be the next Disney title, tentatively planned for 2011.

http://disney.go.com/disneyvideos/animatedfilms/beauty/diamond.html

Goddammit Disney give me the loving Lion King already

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
Do we know which Pixar catalog title will mercifully, finally be released with TS3? I don't even care which one it is.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

I said come in! posted:

I'm to horrible to see the problem with the 1st and 3rd one, but the 2nd screenshot is clearly, even to me, really bad.

The first one is obvious in Arnold's cheeks. They look like they're made of wax. His clothing has that clay look, too.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

I said come in! posted:

Okay I see it now. It's just hard for me to notice without some comparison and knowing what it should look like. Although I should know this stuff by now. I certainly read the blu-ray thread enough.

It took me forever to notice DNR, but once you see it...well, you know how it goes.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
This is going to sound weird, but Flash Gordon looking waxy and like he's from a comic book from DNR might actually benefit the movie.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
I bet Fox has a DNR free master they're sitting on, waiting to unleash.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

doctor thodt posted:

It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia Season 5 9/14

Hopefully it's actually HD this time.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

Neo_Reloaded posted:

I've heard Season 5 was still filmed using SD cameras, just presented in widescreen for the first time.

Oh yeah that was the last season, wasn't it.

Yeah it looked like they had new cameras that looked better, but it was clearly SD. Thanks Fox, you cunts.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
Uh...the decision to put it on Blu-Ray is entirely the fault of Fox's home video department? I don't see what is so confusing about how dumb this is.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

Sporadic posted:

Problem with this is that the MSRP on the Blu-Ray is $10 more and that it is still a two-disc release (meaning Fox is cheaping out and using single-layer discs) while the DVD is three.

If it was all of season 5 on one Blu-Ray for the same price as the DVD, I doubt there would be any bitching.

Precisely. When I say "Hey wouldn't it be cool to say, have a full season of The Simpsons on a disc?" I don't mean "Gee, I hope they just throw the season onto a couple of discs and then charge regular Blu-Ray prices!!!!" I mean that I hope they condense it into one disc and a lower price. This is just the worst of both worlds.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
You keep insisting that they have to be 1080p24fps. Uhhhh...why, exactly? When discussing smashing an entire season on one disc, I don't think anyone except maybe you expects that they'll be 1080p.

It is a lovely cashgrab. That's it. That's all it is. It's not worth continuing to argue about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
Yeah I think we can officially say "Wait a few months if you want a Warner release with wacky packaging in a standard one"

• Locked thread