Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Topper Harley
Jul 6, 2005
You have the whitest white part of the eyes I've ever seen. Do you floss?
This "House" blu-ray that Criterion is releasing, is it the 80s horror movie, the crappier more recent horror movie, the show about the doctor, or what? I'm intrigued.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Topper Harley
Jul 6, 2005

RichterIX posted:

Has anyone seen either of the Michael Keaton Batman movies on BD? I have a gift card at Best Buy where they're $20 apiece, but I'm having a hard time deciding based on dvdbeaver whether they're worth the upgrade or not from the Special Edition DVDs.

I'm a big fan of the original so I bought the Digibook when it first came out. I think it's a great disc. It handles the blacks (of which there is an abundant amount) FAR better than the DVDs ever did. Haven't seen Batman Returns on blu yet but looking forward to it.

Topper Harley
Jul 6, 2005

Tony Danza Claus posted:

It delivered on being both mediocre and killing time.

I can not agree more with this but people at work quote it all the time and I never have any goddamn clue what they're talking about.

Topper Harley
Jul 6, 2005
Amazon just lowered Zombieland to $16.49 and Moon to $16.99 to compete with Best Buy's weekly ad.

Topper Harley
Jul 6, 2005

Bambi posted:

Why do people like that exist :saddowns:

Predator's user rating on that site is already a 5 vs the reviewer's 2.5. The hell?

Topper Harley
Jul 6, 2005
I bought The Fly day one quite a while ago and it's still one of my favorites. Sure, it's not crazy sharp or anything, but it's still a very film-like experience to me. There are a handful of movies I've bought on blu-ray that I always get lost in the experience with when viewing. I've described it before as feeling like I have my own film projector and copy of the film. The Fly is definitely one of them.

Topper Harley
Jul 6, 2005

bat duck posted:

Also I'm thinking of getting Inferno on BR since I really like suspiria, how do they compare? Thinking quality of the movie here, not the BR disk.

I love Susperia and, in my opinion, Inferno is definitely a worthy sequel. I didn't even know it was on blu. Are they both region free? I might be interested in importing them.

Topper Harley
Jul 6, 2005

theradiostillsucks posted:

Inferno is a great movie if you hate plots and love Keith Emerson.

What? Inferno has every bit as much a plot as Susperia does. I think it's a fun sequel.

Topper Harley
Jul 6, 2005

morestuff posted:

Where's this 13.99 deal?

For a few hours when it was first listed on Amazon it was for $13.99 before it shot up to $27.99. You had to preorder it pretty early to get that price.

edit: now it's $24.99

Topper Harley
Jul 6, 2005
As someone who has owned no less than 8 versions of Halloween (between betamax, VHS, laserdisc, and DVD editions) I can say with some authority that Bracke is being a twat. The Digimax DVD version admittedly does have some color timing issues and the blu-ray definitely uses the same print. However, the color is VASTLY superior in the blu-ray to that DVD release and actually restores (albeit subtly) the blue hues that were "missing" from some of the night time scenes. The blu-ray is sharp, sounds great, and is from a print that was obviously given a lot of care by Starz/Anchor bay. It's so cheap now too, there's no reason not to grab it.

Topper Harley
Jul 6, 2005

Space_Butler posted:

Also, Anchorman will be $20 and Deep Blue Sea will be $13. It's weird looking at a Best Buy ad and thinking to myself "hey, that's downright reasonable", but I like it.

I figured Anchorman wouldn't be out until Tuesday but it will be available Sunday. I'm there!

Topper Harley
Jul 6, 2005
I just watched The Evil Dead (framed in 1.33) with the new commentary and it looked amazing. Seriously. This is one of those movies I've seen dozens of times each in every format. Starz did an amazing job here. The commentary itself is a LOT less about making fun of what goes on on screen and more about how difficult the shoot was and how much they learned about the film making process. After I make dinner I'm going to rewatch it with the surround sound track reframed in 1.85.

Topper Harley
Jul 6, 2005

Kilometers Davis posted:

Screens of Evil Dead looks unreal. I think i've bought like 2-3 copies already but who cares. I bet it's worth it.

Yeah, the sound is great as well. I'm watching the 1.85-framed version now and the zoom is not as distracting as I thought (first time I've actually watched the widescreen version) and it's still very crisp and detailed (more detailed than I thought it would be, anyway). For $17.49 on Amazon you really can't go wrong. The only thing I wish they had included was previous commentaries from older releases.

Out of the 5 Starz/Anchor Bay releases I own, 2 of them are pretty incredible (Evil Dead and Hellraiser), 2 are drat good (Dawn of the Dead and Halloween), and the last is just "meh" (Evil Dead 2). That's a good track record.

Topper Harley fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Sep 1, 2010

Topper Harley
Jul 6, 2005

Sporadic posted:

Netflix is mailing me The Evil Dead tomorrow. Are the fullscreen/widescreen versions on the same disc?

Yeah, they're both on the same disc. When you choose to watch the movie it gives you the option to choose your aspect ratio.

Topper Harley
Jul 6, 2005
Just watched MacGruber (I was one of the 7 people who saw it in the theater and liked it). Looks and sounds far better than I thought it would. Also, another Twilight Zone review

Topper Harley
Jul 6, 2005
http://www.blu-ray.com/community/collection.php?member=notsoboo

This doesn't count my preorders.

Topper Harley
Jul 6, 2005

Captain Charisma posted:

"Hm looks good oh what's th-":stare:

Hahaha! I have always loved this movie and never owned the $1 DVD copy that floated around dollar stores and Wal Marts for the last decade. After a few attempts to download it from archive.org I bought the blu-ray knowing full-well how awful it was. It truly is terrible, but I usually just listen to it when it's on anyway.

Topper Harley
Jul 6, 2005
Return of the Living Dead looks pretty good, albeit with some minor inconsistencies in picture quality from scene to scene (or sometimes within the same scene). All-in-all, for a cheesy little 80's flick I was pleasantly surprised.

Topper Harley
Jul 6, 2005

You Are A Elf posted:

I hope it's the original version I have on VHS and not the MGM DVD version that shortens a lot of scenes with music and has rerecorded dialogue from some zombies (including Tarman) for some reason. Biggest disappointment ever that makes me pull out my 24 year old videotape if I want to watch it.

Might want to hold on to that VHS tape.

Topper Harley
Jul 6, 2005
I preorder all of my blu-rays so I can do a proper budget for them ahead of time and make sure I don't go overboard and so I can lock in any low prices Amazon might offer between now and the release date. Right now I've got 9:

The Exorcist
Twilight Zone: Season 2
Back to the Future
Psycho
White Christmas
Black Christmas (ha)
Moulin Rouge
Toy Story 3
Christmas Classics Gift Set

Also, for the first time in almost two years, I have a DVD preordered (The Larry Sanders Show: Complete Series).

Topper Harley
Jul 6, 2005
Anyone hear anything about the Black Christmas (remake) blu-ray that's supposed to be released tomorrow? I realize I'm the only one in the world who kind of liked it, but I preordered it back in July and Amazon still has no cover art image and the page now says "Sign up to be notified when it's released". Did it get canceled? Is it an exclusive somewhere else? What gives? I was really looking forward to seeing eyeballs getting ripped out for 90 minutes.

Topper Harley
Jul 6, 2005

Fantabulero posted:

Yeah, I know Pixar Blu-rays are famously well-done... but drat, Toy Story 3 is flawless. The opening sequence came on and I was in awe - any last feeling of guilt or doubt I had about buying my HDTV burned away.

I watched Toy Story 3 last night too and it was amazing. I was thoroughly impressed scene after scene. The final scene looked and sounded better in my home than it did in the theater I originally saw it in (also there weren't children crying when I watched it in my home). I've had my system for a few years but after this it's going to take a lot to get me to pay to see movies at the cinema rather than buy (or rent) the Blu-ray at this point.

Topper Harley
Jul 6, 2005
WHY DIDN'T THEY PUT THE ENTIRE SEASON OF [insert TV show here] ON ONE DISC?! SONS OF BITCHES JUST WANT ALL MY MONEY! CAPS LOCK CAPS LOCK CAPS LOCK!!

Topper Harley
Jul 6, 2005
Does the Fantasia coupon from the Disney Movie Rewards site work on Amazon or only brick and mortar stores?

Topper Harley
Jul 6, 2005
You guys were so right about those uber-collectors and their slipcovers. My girlfriend and I keep ours in a drawer and never look at them. As an experiment, I put them up for sale and have already made about $25 off just 8 of them.

Also, if any of you have a Beetlejuice slipcover you could probably get $10 for it. I got about 10 messages in reference to that one within 30 minutes.

Topper Harley
Jul 6, 2005

zenintrude posted:

Where are you trying to sell these? I have a bunch...

Blu-Ray.com. I was selling them for about 3 bucks apiece but you could probably ask more and they'd still bite. I wasn't really trying to make any money and ended up selling about 10 slipcovers for $34 (cost $7 to ship them).

Topper Harley
Jul 6, 2005

The Phantom Goat posted:

Doesn't seem like it's 100% confirmed, but it looks like the Halloween II blu is going to included "Terror in the Aisles" as a special feature.

I saw this and have been thinking about it a lot. It makes sense since it's hosted by Donald Pleasance and Jamie Lee Curtis and was made around the same time as Halloween II, but why would they make it a special feature? It's a pretty rare VHS tape and never made it to DVD. It would be awesome to see (especially if it's in HD), but considering the treatment all other Halloween II releases have gotten, I'm somewhat doubtful.

Topper Harley
Jul 6, 2005

Sporadic posted:

The bonuses on Amazon's disc include:

Grateful Dead: Mama Tired

Man, I'd get that bonus disc just to hear "Mama Tired".

I turned 21 in prison, doin' life without parole.
No one could steer me right, but Mama's tired. Mama's tired!

Topper Harley
Jul 6, 2005
Looks like Scrooged is coming out on November 1.

Topper Harley
Jul 6, 2005
Amazon has a November 22 date on their Three Amigos blu-ray page. Cover art, too.

Topper Harley
Jul 6, 2005

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Can't go wrong with Talking Heads - Stop Making Sense.

Holy crap, thank you! I forgot this was on blu-ray and didn't have the money to spend on it when it first came out. Now I wonder how many other awesome releases I've forgotten about since then.

Topper Harley
Jul 6, 2005

Tony Danza Claus posted:

Wall•E

If you don't own that, you're a bad person with thick, gooey black poo poo where your heart should be.

This is wrong. Wall-E was an awful, preachy miss for Pixar.

Topper Harley
Jul 6, 2005

codyclarke posted:

The New and Improved Die-Hard Megathread

This is probably a good time to ask: is the Die Hard blu-ray worth a drat? It's got a 3.5 for visuals on blu-ray.com, but they don't have much to say about it beyond 'it's an old movie, so it doesn't look as good as a new one.'

I haven't read the reviews, but the Die Hard blu-ray is really great. The sound is amazing and the picture quality surpassed my expectations based on various DVD editions I owned over the years.

Topper Harley
Jul 6, 2005

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

This baffles me because the premium movie channels have a good HD copy of Death Becomes Her.

There hasn't been a widescreen release of this one since laserdisc, right? I don't have cable so I haven't seen this HD version, but I've always had a soft spot for Dead Becomes Her even though it probably would have made a better Tales from the Crypt episode than a movie. I'm happy to know it's been airing in HD.

Topper Harley
Jul 6, 2005

Boz0r posted:

I'm looking for a blu-ray player that can play blu-rays and stream .mkv files from a NAS. What's my best/cheapest options?

I like the Panasonic DMP-BDT210

Topper Harley
Jul 6, 2005

kaujot posted:

It doesn't play all .mkv files, though. And no .avi. Really it doesn't seem to play much. :(

I haven't had any issues with .mkv files at all; but yeah, it's a bummer about the .avi files.

Topper Harley
Jul 6, 2005

Steve Yun posted:

Fight Club... I'm not sure how many other "I was the monster all along!" movies there are, I'm drawing a blank

Hide and Seek with Robert DeNiro comes to mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Topper Harley
Jul 6, 2005
At least the titles would normally go together on a shelf. People in this forum have flipped out over one case housing two titles that don't belong together on their alphabetized shelf in the past.

• Locked thread