Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
Haven't seen anyone mention this but I just found out about it by browsing over to Blu-Ray.com

Thief - January 14th

4K print, the review from Blu-Ray.com gave it perfect marks on video and audio. I am so loving pumped for this. I don't jizz over Michael Mann's other work but Thief is special to me. The soundtrack, the storyline, James loving Caan. UGH

Finally. Now I just need for Punch-Drunk Love to be released on Blu-Ray

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

CelticPredator posted:

When I got that, the thing was literally as tall as me. I loved it so much as a kid.

It was my favorite Christmas break ever. Tons of candy, watching remastered Alien films and playing Tony Hawk Underground. Then at night, watching all the supplemental material. Rewatching the films with commentary. Quadrilogy and Anthology really are great sets.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

No discussion on Punch-Drunk Love finally coming to Blu-Ray in November?!

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

I'm not finding a Blu-Ray copy of Blade Runner between Amazon and Best Buy. What up with that?

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

Has there been any recent discussion on The Abyss? I know Cameron had talked about supervising the process and then nada. I've never seen The Abyss and want to do it right.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

Daniel Bryan posted:

I'd like to thank whoever decided that the only way to get Guardians of the Galaxy 2 on 3D was through a store exclusive limited edition.

BestBuy.com got replenished earlier in the week. I was also rueing this situation and then noticed they were back in stock this week.

Also, to the poster who was talking about Close Encounters, that's about to get a UHD release based on a, I think, 4K remaster.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

Yep, forgot Dredd. The director was clearly thinking 3D, he composed tons of shots with it in mind. It's gorgeous. It's loving brutal, but beautifully done. And I forgot another one. I haven't seen it, but Werner Herzog's Cave of Forgotten Dreams got lots of raves.

Thirding Dredd! I've been meaning to go through my 3D movies now that I've heard the 2018 lineups for most TVs are dropping it from their sets.

I'm really interested in seeing what 3D brings to the table in Dr. Strange

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

Just a friendly reminder that James Cameron converted Titanic and T2 to 3D before puttting the Abyss on Blu-Ray. Goddammit I wanna see the movie and I refuse to compromise my experience!

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

wa27 posted:

James Cameron will make Avatar 2, 3, 4, and 5 before putting The Abyss on Blu-Ray.

Quote this in seven years.

4 more sequels? Jesus Christ. We’ll see. James Cameron is one of the few people I trust to not completely screw it up. But are they gonna be like 2.5 hr halves?

I’ve heard the next ones are about water and that’s where the Abyss release will tie in but it’s like... people will buy it sight unseen anyway. Just release the drat thing.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

Dredd
Gravity
Mad Max: Fury Road
X-Men: Days of Future Past
Prometheus
Doctor Strange
Tron Legacy
Captain America: The Winter Soldier

I still need to watch Up and Toy Story in 3D but I imagine they’re good. Also need to watch Edge of Tomorrow but I’m hopeful.

Also, picked up Titanic and JP in 3D. I’ve heard Titanic is surprisingly good and JP I got just for the better picture.

Edit: really glad I held off on getting “Get Out,” the steelbook from Best Buy looks great!

Boywhiz88 fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Nov 26, 2017

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

zenintrude posted:

Luckily UHD is regionless

It loving better be. Aside from licensing like that being such bullshit, they’re in no position to limit UHD distribution. I’m picking up UHDs here and there as part of pre-orders of new movies. I don’t have a UHD TV yet and don’t really want one. I’ve got quite a few 3D Blu-Rays and I don’t wanna give that up (Dredd in 3D is so much better.) I also don’t see me replacing my Blu-Rays w UHD copies because half the format is still just upscales. I was bummed to hear It was shot in 2K, and that HDR was meh. I thought It was gonna be a benchmark for 4K w HDR.

I’ve been wondering recently what the hell is gonna happen to the physical market. Best Buy is killing their CD sections in the next month or two, and those were down to like... 4 sections in one of the company’s hallmark stores. There’s basically no 3D, and Marvel isn’t even releasing 3D copies of Black Panther or Thor: Ragnarok in the US which is suuuuuch bullshit. UHD has maybe 2 sections and I don’t think it will ever get beyond that.

I know that’s just stores but it really does speak to the diminished demand for physical media. Media used to be the 2nd or 3rd largest department on BBY stores. It started shrinking in 09, so less then ten years for digital and online shopping to fundamentally change how we acquire media.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

That Alien trailer loving blows and is a great example of how modern trailers are awful.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

How often does Disney let its marvel movies go on sale? I assume the answer is “never,” but I’d like to start buying them up and I’m fine with waiting until Black Friday/cyber Monday if it means I’ll be able to catch a deal.

I think they re-released them in a unified style sometime late last year, and I haven’t really seen any drops. I think it might happen in the week or two leading up to IW, but until then Disney will get ever cent they can.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

I, Butthole posted:

Vinegar Syndrome is releasing a new 4K scan of Sweet Sweetback's Baadasssss Song during their Memorial Day sale, gently caress yeah.

Wow. I don’t know the movie at all but I love that 20 years on I’m still learning new references from the Simpsons. (The episode where Skinner gets fired is Seymour Skinner’s Baadasssss something)

EDIT: gently caress, didn’t mean to double post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

A friendly reminder that BBY and probably Amazon are blowing out a bunch 3D Blu-Rays. Gravity is $9.99, Edge of Tomorrow, they had the Hobbit trilogy at $9.99 each. Spider-Man: Homecoming is $14.99 which is cheaper than the regular BD, I’m p sure.

• Locked thread