Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

FitFortDanga posted:

As everyone feared, Storaro got his greasy mitts on Apocalypse Now for the new HD remaster, loving with the aspect ratio because clearly "The Last Supper" should be the guideline for all movies or something.

If I were a DVD distributor and got a letter half typed in CAPS, I'd have a hard time taking it seriously even if it is from an Oscar winning cinematographer. Also, that big paragraph is kind of contradictory, complaining about destroying the composition by changing it to suit 1.78:1 and then arguing that cutting to suit 2:1 is an improvement. Also the fact that he's done this before means it's not really an aesthetic choice based on the film itself, as he tries to imply, but rather some bizarre self imposed restriction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Why is it so hard for him to understand that a 1.78:1 screen can accommodate more than one aspect ratio? And why is someone screaming about forced aspect ratios and unnecessary changes suggesting as a solution yet another aspect ratio that should become the standard for everything?

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

The Lucas posted:

Is this guy joking?

http://hollywood-elsewhere.com/2010/06/burned_by_stage.php

You missed the best part:

quote:

They do great work in general, yes, but they'd rather have films look like what they looked like when they came out rather than have them look so good today that their directors would hear about them in Heaven and have angel erections."

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Egbert Souse posted:

Why would anyone want the films individually?

I can imagine someone wanting only The Fellowship of the Ring, as it stands reasonably well on its own, but otherwise I was thinking the same thing.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Sporadic posted:

Are you sure it wasn't because you used the Italian name instead of the English name that is on the box (The Leopard)?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Leopard-Blu-ray-Burt-Lancaster/dp/B0038NQMUS

I know if somebody came in and asked for Il buono, il brutto, il cattivo I would look at them like a deer in headlights.

He specifically said he knew it was released in Britain but wanted it released in mainland Europe with, I assume, Flemish subtitles.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Am I looking at something different? The "detail" in the HD stream screenshots isn't grain it's artifacts. Look at the hood of the car in screenshot 8 or the black guy's face in screenshot 7.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

penismightier posted:

I don't think it's artifacts on his face in 5. I can't really tell either way from any of the other pictures, but the close-up really favors Canal+, I think.

5 is the one with Biff in poo poo right? I don't see the pores you refer to, but if you look at his teeth and lips, especially on the left side the artifacting seems pretty clear to me. Same thing on Fox's face in 7, look where his face meets his jacket. It's clearer when you look in darker areas as that's where everything turns blotchy in the HD stram caps.

penismightier posted:

Neither impress me or upset me much, but his face looks weird as poo poo in the blu-ray. It's not Predator-bad, but it's not a good thing they did to it.
It might be the brightness on the blu ray which makes it look glossy.

Peaceful Anarchy fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Oct 16, 2010

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

penismightier posted:

Is 5 Biff in poo poo? I was talking about the one where he's looking at his disappearing hand.

That's #6 for me, and I don't think those are pores, unless he also has pores on his thumbnail. The one on the blu ray does look overly glossy, though. The uncompressed source of the HD stream probably looks better than both.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

frumpsnake posted:

Wow, the Fox version of The Leopard absolutely obliterates the Criterion release. (which of course got full marks for video quality from many 'reviewers' because it's an old film AND a Criterion)

http://blubrew.com/2010/12/04/the-leopard-blu-ray-comparison/

Thank Mr. Scorsese for this one.

Holy poo poo! That looks incredible.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Modian posted:

I must be misunderstanding something because the pictures at the bottom look a lot better to me.

Yes you must have something wrong with your eyesight, the new restoration is better in every way. How can you look at these two images, for example, and think the second looks better?
http://blubrewdotcom.files.wordpress.com/2010/12/142.jpg
http://blubrewdotcom.files.wordpress.com/2010/12/291.jpg

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Egbert Souse posted:

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=6093

This pretty much confirms Disney is never going to release Song of the South.

Seriously, they just need to license to Criterion and be done with it. It's the animation title Criterion has been waiting for and they can handle the controversy. A lot of people don't realize the film takes place after the civil war, which makes Gone with the Wind a comparatively more potentially "offensive" film - which has never been out of circulation.

I'm always kind of torn when this comes up. On the one hand it is rather offensive, and the difference between this and Gone with the Wind is that the latter is clearly aimed at adults while this is ostensibly a kids/family movie. On the other hand it is a pretty famous film and supplements that actually examine it in context would make for an interesting DVD edition, and it is kind of odd that this is left to stand alone as some taboo film. On the third hand the movie sucks and is boring so outside of controversy I don't see why anyone cares. Criterion has better things to do with its time and money.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

metallicaeg posted:

It looks like more of them are still sealed than opened

Actually, some, like that Jess Franco boxset, look like they've been opened but the shrinkwrap is left on them.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

sportsgenius86 posted:

I just cut off the top part and tucked the list of extras into the flap with the other stuff. Is this acceptable or am I still subject to arson?

This is the worst of both camps. You keep the superfluous packaging and you also destroy it.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

idoliside posted:

I just tried this, didn't do it for me. What was your secret?

Probably not being in the UK, as VAT gets removed.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Sporadic posted:

Oh poo poo, Amazon pricematched Target.

$14.99 for the Back To The Future Trilogy

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ASIN=B00198X0UO

Gahh, I wasn't going to buy this but this is too good to pass up.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Criminal Minded posted:

Oh what the hell did it sell out or something?

It's back, hurry.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Egbert Souse posted:

Ick, the UK Blu of Don't Look Now might surpass Predator as the most wrecked DVNR wax job:
http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/screenshot.php?movieid=18547&position=2
Predator looks like poo poo, but at least it's poo poo that I can imagine some people thinks looks good.

Who could possibly think this looks good?

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Notice there's no year on that, it's actually coming out Tuesday, July 15, 2014.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

dancehall posted:

So what are some essentials that look great on Blu?
If you're willing to venture into silents The Phantom Carriage and Metropolis are must haves. And for arty beautiful European film you can't beat Last Year at Marienbad.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Criminal Minded posted:

Oh, wow. Jonathan Rosenbaum is gonna poo poo himself.

Not until Tih Minh gets released.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Criminal Minded posted:

He'd still have to wait on Out 1. :v:

Supposedly that's coming out this year.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Egbert Souse posted:

For those on the fence about Wings,
http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Wings-Blu-ray/33615/#Screenshots

That second shot looks straight out of DVDbeaver, then I went to DVDbeaver and was surprised not to see it there.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Egbert Souse posted:

So, they get their money back

Where does it say this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe