Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP

the posted:

What the hell is this?

http://www.amazon.com/Conan-Complete-Quest-Arnold-Schwarzenegger/dp/B0000VD12I/

I thought it was both Conan the Barbarian and Conan the Destroyer, but it just looks like 1 disc. Is it just the director's cut of the first film?

Be aware that though Barbarian is anamorphic, Destroyer isn't. If you want that one anamorphic you'll have to import it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP

Sporadic posted:

Only Conan The Barbarian is getting a Blu-Ray release so far.

$17.99 - August 2

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ASIN=B00509KXYO

Destroyer is coming out same day: http://www.amazon.com/Conan-Destroyer-Blu-ray-Arnold-Schwarzenegger/dp/B00509KXVC/ref=pd_bxgy_d_text_b

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP

japtor posted:

Anyone have any experience with getting discs replaced? I looked on Universal's site and the only option seems to be a "consumer damaged" replacement thing for a few bucks, but nothing about discs that appear to be messed up fresh out of the box. I'm outside Amazon's return period so I can't just swap it there (I should've opened it when I got it in :doh:).

I had to do this with a copy of Heathers that I bought new from a Borders, so I couldn't return it. That was Starz/Anchor Bay. They were really chill and sent me a prepaid envelope to mail it back, and sent me a replacement copy.

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP

Bert Fegg posted:

For anyone in Canada the Gandhi 25th Anniversary Edition is on sale for $9.99 at Future Shop until Oct. 13.

Bought it tonight - popped it into the machine - 2.5 minutes of unskippable ads for things like Starship Troopers III. Yay.

It appears they're testing your commitment to non-violent resistance.

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP
Queen Rock Montreal and Live Aid is amazing.

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP
I gotta second the Punisher War Zone love. To me, it's a comic book movie done right. Cheesy, over the top, not a dull moment. And then cinematography is legitimately breathtaking. I love it.

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP
The Life Aquatic is the one I really can't wait for a blu-ray of. That was such a visual treat in theaters, with so much tiny stuff to look at, a lot of which was lost on the DVD.

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP
The New and Improved Die-Hard Megathread

This is probably a good time to ask: is the Die Hard blu-ray worth a drat? It's got a 3.5 for visuals on blu-ray.com, but they don't have much to say about it beyond 'it's an old movie, so it doesn't look as good as a new one.'

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP

Sporadic posted:

It looks like Annie Hall, Manhattan, Notorious and Rebecca are all getting a US release - January 24, 2012.

The preorders just popped up on Amazon. $17.49 each.

I almost never buy DVD's or BR's day one, but I'm gonna have to do that for Annie Hall. For far too long that great movie has been non-anamorphic.

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP

CPL593H posted:

Taking a moment to divert from all the talk of Christmas-related blu-ray sales, does anyone know if there are plans to release The Bealtes Yellow Submarine on blu-ray?

I remember hearing that the rights are all tied-up on that. I wouldn't expect it anytime soon.

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP

the_Vandal posted:

Why is the Alien Anthology so much cheaper on Amazon UK? I just ordered it and it was around $25 there, compared to $50 here in America. I'm not complaining but it seems weird since they're pretty much the same thing. At least I think they're the same.

They're the same, except for those big ugly BBFC ratings on the box. But at that price difference, I could care less.

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP

caiman posted:

So I ordered Synecdoche, New York from Amazon and they sent me the Canadian version. Any idea why they would do that? And any reason to assume there are difference from the American release?

Canadian and American releases tend to be the exact same, except the name of the movie and synopsis is written on the box in English and in French.

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP
I'm very reluctant to buy any of the Evil Dead movies on blu-ray just yet, being that there were so many DVD releases of each, and I have a feeling the same will happen with blu-ray.

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP

justlikedunkirk posted:

What might be the best trailer of the year (or my personal favourite at least) appears to be nothing more than a 4 minute excerpt. I'll only say this: give it a minute

Leviathan

http://www.vimeo.com/45252172

Very excited for this, good find! These guys did Sweetgrass, which was great.

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP

fancyclown posted:

The Spirit of the Beehive (1973), one of my absolute favourite films is getting re-relased by Criterion on DVD in January 2013. LINK.

Does anyone know if this means a blu-ray is coming too? The only blu-ray available right now is the spanish one relased by Vértice Cine. The transfer on that disc is not great so it would be awesome if Criterion released an upgrade.

That's been OOP as a Criterion DVD for a little while, they're just putting it back in print with a new pressing. I wouldn't count on a blu-ray just yet.

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP

CPL593H posted:

Where did you hear this?

I tried ordering it several times from Barnes & Noble and they said it was out of stock, and it's been out of stock on Amazon for a while too. It's not OOP in the sense that the rights expired or whatever, they just need to make more.

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP

Call Me Charlie posted:

Here's something strange. Looks like Ishtar is finally getting a release from Sony on 8/6/2013

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Ishtar---Widescreen-AC3-Dolby---Blu-ray-Disc/1606139.p?id=58658

Strange considering it was announced in 2010 and indefinitely delayed in 2011.

Awesome, been waiting for this one for a while. Not a great movie, but there's some really funny stuff in it. Undeserving of the hate it got.

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP

Ho Chi Mint posted:

Picked up Dredd on Blu-ray this week. One feature I really appreciate is the Dolby 2.0 mix that is especially made for late night viewing. They turn down the bass and turn up the dialog on the middle speaker so you don't have the problem of the music and effects being deafening then the dialog being so quiet you can't hear it. I wish more movies had this!

God drat. That's pretty awesome. Wish I knew of more!

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP
Yay! The Driver apparently looks gorgeous:

quote:

I think this transfer is going to garner a lot of the usual chatter. There is a lot of crawling grain in the low-light pushed sequences, just as their should be. Once you're in sunlight or bright light, then blacks are deep and contrast is as it should be. But I think a lot of the wags are going to think they're seeing "noise" - they're not, but they'll think they are. I saw the film several times when it was released, and this is pretty much what it looked like. It's a brand new transfer done this year and I thought it looked great, just like a 1978 film should look shot under these conditions and on this budget. The color is fantastic, the sound excellent mono.

Just for fun, I then put on the DVD and all I can say is wow. No texture, no detail, no grain, just DNR and edge enhancement that is so strong even I could see it. That, BTW, is not what The Driver should look like and boy am I glad they did this fresh transfer.

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/topic/325071-a-sneak-peek-at-the-driver/

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP

Personperson14 posted:

I don't know how many of you would care about this, but Blue Underground is releasing Bruno Mattei's "Rats - Night of Terror" and "Hell of the Living Dead" on Blu-Ray next year. Which has me super excited because they're both some of the best 80s Italian ripoff exploitation films out there.

This is wonderful news! I love me some Bruno Mattei.

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP
Ravenous. Only ever been non-anamorphic. drat shame.

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP

Nate RFB posted:

I'm giving this a whirl on this and I'm having a hell of a time trying to see either ideal white or ideal black. Even in the Advanced menu, I can't get the ideal stars in the middle to show up under any number of settings.

Are you using a PS3 by any chance? I had that problem, and what I had to do was turn SuperWhite and Full RGB on in PS3 System Settings.

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP

Maxwell Lord posted:

Get 'em framed, like some people do with vinyl records. I bought one just because the cover was neat.

For anyone looking to do this, I can't recommend these enough: http://www.target.com/p/record-album-frames-set-of-4-black-12-5x12-5/-/A-10891632

They're real glass with a great shine, and a metal frame, and look very classy.

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP

Egbert Souse posted:

The Twilight Samurai (2002, Yoji Yamada)

Would have been better as a Criterion box set with The Hidden Blade and Love and Honor, but I'll take what I can get.

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP

Egbert Souse posted:

Twilight Time May and June releases:

May 12th:
American Buffalo

This sucks, because this is a movie that I love that I'd absolutely upgrade from DVD to Blu if it were like, $7.99. But $30 is just way too much when the DVD is on sale perpetually for $3.99.

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP

Rusty Staub posted:

While people are talking tech-- is the Disney "WOW" calibration disc worthwhile, or should I spring for the Spears & Munsil?

I like it a lot, but I've never used the Spears & Munsil one so I can't compare it. Worth noting is that if you're using a PS3, some of the tests are impossible unless you change around some settings. I wrote a review of it on Amazon listing the proper settings: http://www.amazon.com/review/R38WMGWRWFP8HV/ref=cm_cr_rdp_perm

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP

Space_Butler posted:

This is me, we are broken people.

I'm loving rebuying low-end movies on blu-ray since the dvd's for these films usually look like garbage even upscaled. The difference on even a halfway decent HD transfer of these movies is a staggering difference compared to a lot of movies that get re-released on blu-ray.

I thought this was just me! I've been crossing my fingers for a while now for a Freddy Got Fingered blu-ray for this very reason. It's okay on DVD, not terrible, but the sound mix on the DVD has always bugged me, and hopefully that would improve on a prospective blu-ray.

And then there's all the non-anamorphic classic comedies where it boggles the mind why they aren't on blu-ray yet, or at least an anamorphic DVD: What About Bob?, The Wrong Guy, etc. Luckily My Blue Heaven finally got an anamorphic DVD about a year ago, woulda been nice if it got a blu-ray though.

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP

Egbert Souse posted:

Twilight Time November/December releases:

Nov 10:
Shadows and Fog

Not a great Allen, but I could see this making for a gorgeous blu. Carlo Di Palma DP'd the hell outta that thing.

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP

Incredible movie, and dang that's an incredible cover too.

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP
Anyone know what the deal is with the Friday the 13th box set being OOP? I remember a year or two ago it was like $80, now its like $300. Kicking myself for not grabbing it back then. Any chance of them making more before halloween, or doing another box set, etc.? And why did it even go OOP in the first place?

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP

I, Butthole posted:

Amazon has a 3 for $20 Blu Ray deal at the moment. Can't link due to phone postin' but there's a half decent range.

Found this out by following DVD Beaver's review of Beat Takeshi's Violent Cop - the studio that did the release, Film Movement, had a version of Once Were Warriors that I picked up on Amazon too. It looks a lot nicer than the barebones 1080i transfer available in Australia.

Here's the link: http://amzn.to/2dLPlcg

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP
Has there been any word on when other Universal Monsters Legacy Collections will be coming to blu-ray? I'm loving the Frankenstein and Wolf Man sets and can't wait for the others to get upgraded too.

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP

Call Me Charlie posted:

$21.99 - Chopping Mall

https://www.amazon.com/Chopping-Mal...e44360575757148

Lightning deal so there's only about 5 and a half hours left on it (as of 5:27 PM EST)

Grabbed! Thanks.

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP
Any word on specific lists of what blu-rays will be on sale this Black Friday at Amazon, Best Buy, et al.? Saw this today, but it's only horror titles:
http://bloody-disgusting.com/movie/3415015/fantastic-black-friday-2016-best-buy-horror-blu-ray-deals/

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP

Steve Yun posted:

Nahhhh. It was close but DVD had a slight edge on LD. Laserdisc had 425 vertical lines of resolution, DVD had 480. Laserdisc had "uncomporessed" analog video vs DVD's compressed digital video. While DVD looked slightly better in most cases, the one advantage LD had was that they could have very busy shots like the HBO opening title and maintain quality while DVD would turn to mush.

Fast forwarding on a laserdisc also kinda ruled as compared to DVD, as can be seen here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RufXzdt6Qhc&t=210s

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP

Egbert Souse posted:

Not Blu-Ray, but just a heads up - MST3K Vol. 17 (XVII) is going out of print, but Amazon has it for $18. It's the set with The Crawling Eye and The Final Sacrifice, so I'd grab it before it disappears.

Thanks for the heads up!

Does anyone know a good way to stay abreast of things that will go OOP? I remember the Death Wish blu-ray was $15 forever and then it suddenly went OOP and now it's like $50. Same happened with Cable Guy. Seems to happen so randomly.

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP
The Death Wish blu-ray is back in print starting Sept. 26. No more having to spend $60+ on it.

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP

Casimir Radon posted:

Does Netflix have a set period of time for when you can buy Blus of their exclusive stuff? I was thinking today about how I'd love to own Into the Inferno on Blu or UHD but it's not out despite coming out almost a year ago.

I'd love to know this as well. I've been dying for Pee Wee's Big Holiday to get a blu-ray release.

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP

Egbert Souse posted:

Also, Olive Films is releasing Rock-a-Doodle on Oct. 31

Don't bury the lead, man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP

CPL593H posted:

RITA, SUE, AND BOB TOO

Throwing my endorsement behind this one. My favorite Alan Clarke I've seen, and one of my favorite British films in general.

• Locked thread