Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Funkyboss posted:

This post makes me very happy in my bathing suit area. Darjeeling Ltd wasn't my favorite Wes Anderson but I haven't seen it since the theater so I need to give it another shot.
I'll take any Wes Anderson on blu there is, so I'm happy. Only I'm curious that Criterion is releasing the Blu-Ray when the DVD wasn't released by them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

doctor thodt posted:

It hasn't been ruled out, but I doubt it's on the docket either. The Wire was shot on 35mm so it's entirely doable, but it'd be a lot of work, and HBO's catalogue releases are sparse enough as it is (so far we've only gotten Rome, Band of Brothers, and The Sopranos season 1).
The prospect of Deadwood potentially coming keeps me from buying the DVDs.

Would be nice if the Wire came too.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

uncle jimbo posted:

Wait, you mean the various discs are being split up? Link?

Actually I think that'd be pretty cool if they only released Sledge's arc, seeing that that's the good part.
Part One is being sold with Band of Brothers, that's all I've seen about it. So, again, I think it's just a promotional tie-in unless they blatantly came out and said they're doing it.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

FitFortDanga posted:

As everyone feared, Storaro got his greasy mitts on Apocalypse Now for the new HD remaster, loving with the aspect ratio because clearly "The Last Supper" should be the guideline for all movies or something.
I know it's going to be a loving disaster, but I'm still irrationally holding out hope since it's one of my favorite movies.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Hyphynotizer posted:

Anyone have any problems with the Bourne trilogy? The first disc won't play in my ps3
Is it one of the double-sided discs? If I recall, there was some defective ones.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

They literally have no money.

I wish they would just get sold already.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

I've read the reviews, but does anyone have any first hand accounts on how Fistful/Few Dollars More look in the new box set?

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

doctor thodt posted:

So the new Predator Blu-Ray sure is, uh, interesting...

http://www.imagebam.com/image/606b8b84038010
That's the best metal shirt I've ever seen.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

I just watched it last night and it looks pretty drat good.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

RichterIX posted:

How's Wong Kar-wai's Fallen Angels? It's on sale on the Best Buy website for $9.99, which is perfect impulse buy territory for me, and everything I've read about it sounds interesting, but I was never very thrilled with Chungking Express. Granted, it's been years since I've seen it, but I thought I'd ask people's opinion anyway.
On that note, sharing this with the rest of the class:

$9.99

The General
Battleship Potemkin

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

doctor thodt posted:

Back to the Future Trilogy is confirmed for October 26 :woop:
As if I needed another reason to watch it another 100 times :)

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Cherokee Jack posted:

Today I purchased Taken for $10 (hello sale). Unfortunately I can't watch it anytime soon because my 80 gig PS3 isn't reading blu-ray discs or PS3 games properly anymore (games and movies sieze up after a while; is it the bd drive or the lens, perhaps?). So until I get it cleaned/fixed/replaced I'll have to wait but I didn't want to turn down what is supposed to be a decent movie at that price.

It's a blind purchase so I have to ask, is it any good? :ohdear:
The movie was a surprise at how decent of an action/thriller it was. It isn't going to knock your socks off, but it's an enjoyable watch and looks fairly good on blu ray too.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Fat Lou posted:

There you go, I fixed that for you. Anyways, Blu-Rays...

Is Das Boot ever going to come out on Blu-Ray?
Das Boot has been rumored for a while, it just hasn't surfaced.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Sporadic posted:

Same thing I was thinking.

This jumped out the most.

Looks like the old one had more detail (and film grain/noise)
It's also cropped, too? Looking at the size/positioning of the images back and forth.

Or is that the aspect.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

I haven't seen this posted in the last couple of days, but yay for Paths of Glory:

quote:

Criterion has announced Nobuhiko Obayashi’s 1977 psychedelic ghost tale 'House' for a Blu-ray on October 26.

Criterion will also be bringing Stanley Kubrick's 'Paths of Glory' starring Kirk Douglas on the same date.

Also in Wes Anderson land:

That cover would be amazing without all the quotes.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Neo_Reloaded posted:

There is a version without the quotes floating around, from some press release I believe. And you know whatever Criterion decides for the actual cover, there won't be a quote anywhere on it.
Oh yeah, I know their track record and everything, it's just an odd concept art for them (unless someone else gawked it up). I saw the other version too.

I'm excited.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

OldSenileGuy posted:

So help me out here, since I don't really follow the importing scene. Do we pretty much have to wait for this to be released before we know if it's region-free? And, if it IS region free, are the non-HD extras likely to be in PAL anyway? Because I NEEEEEED this.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Future-Trilogy-Limited-Collectors-Blu-ray/dp/B003U5UQCE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1280121490&sr=1-1
It's coming out in the US on the same day.

http://www.amazon.com/Back-Future-Anniversary-Trilogy-Digital/dp/B00198X0UO

Unless it's the tin you're talking about.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

doctor thodt posted:

I cannot wait for this, especially having the documentary in high def too.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

doctor thodt posted:

Official Lionsgate press release says Apocalypse Now is indeed in its OAR of 2.35:1 :woop:

Pre-order:
2-disc set
3-disc set
This is my favorite movie. I can't wait. Would like that 3-disc set to come down a bit though :)

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

For anyone doing the Gladiator BD exchange, be prepared to read the serial number on the inside of the disc. That was an eyesore.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

qbert posted:

Maybe I missed something. There's an exchange going on? What are the details of this?
If you want to exchange your Gladiator BD:

Just mail Disc #1 (only Disc #1) in an envelope with your name, address, and phone number inside to:

PHE MKT
c/o Deluxe Media Management
PO Box 801464
Valencia, CA
91380-1464

Harlock fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Jul 31, 2010

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Bambi posted:

So where does the serial number come in?
This is what they tell you after you give them the serial number since apparently they're all the same. I just decided posting the info would be easier, rather than having people call individually and get told the same thing.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

The movie looks great and is great.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

doctor thodt posted:

Escape From New York reviewed x2
Is this a new transfer? I haven't heard such stellar things for the Blu Ray before.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Space Fish posted:

Beetlejuice
I really liked the transfer of Beetlejuice and thought it looked great. Most 80s movies get flak for looking soft or not having a good enough transfer - but I view this one pretty highly.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

thethuthinnang posted:

I finally made the switch. I'm mostly looking for horror but nearly everything on my wish list that I don't already own on DVD isn't out on Blu-Ray yet. I'll probably replace my Cabin Fever, Planet Terror, Hellraiser and The Thing DVDs with the Blu-Ray. Any other horror suggestions?
Dawn of the Dead (both versions), and the original Day of the Dead are all upgrades over their DVDs. I've heard good things about the original Nightmare on Elm Street and the Fly too.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

doctor thodt posted:

Halloween (1978)(this has received some terrible reviews. ignore them.)
I've always been on the fence about buying Halloween. It's my favorite horror movie, but all of the reviews just kill the transfer/disc.

What about it do you think the reviews have been wrong about?

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

FitFortDanga posted:

Hrmm. I liked the simplicity of the original design from the one-sheet much better. This one hurts my eyes.
The title against that intricate ceiling is driving me crazy.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Space_Butler posted:

Deadwood: The Complete Series has been given a street date of November 23.
I can't wait. Just so glad that it's not another title stuffed into October. This holliday season is going to be the best.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

FateoMcSkippy posted:

Goddamnit I would pay $30 extra for non-special edition blurays

quote:

will revisit the "original" trilogy a few years down the road - say 2015 or so - to re-energize the franchise/brand after making loads of cash off the first Blu-ray set.
See you in 5 years.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

bmmello posted:

I see that The Conversation is a getting a new DVD release next week, but no Blu-ray as well? Why?
It's coming out after Apocalypse Now.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

doctor thodt posted:

Lost in Translation 12/7
About time.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

doctor thodt posted:

edit: coming this holiday season...

Should've been the 'I'm too old for this poo poo' edition.

How does a stick of dynamite remotely fit.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

doctor thodt posted:

So far only available in the UK. Awesome that the film is getting a Maximum Movie Mode though.
I really liked Maximum Movie-thing on Watchmen. It made me actually want to sit through a commentary. So here's hoping this one is equally interesting.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

These blu-ray box set deals of the week have been both good so far.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

AntiNeo posted:

Yep, it sure is (in the UK)

goddamnit
Some local theaters here still play BTTF on Friday nights during the summer. Maybe you might have a cool theater that does midnight movies.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Is the $10 movie cash the only difference?

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Beauty and the Beast looks fantastic. I can't wait for Aladdin/Lion King to eventually get the same treatment in 2018.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

FitFortDanga posted:

Where is this thread, and is the offer still open? I always go for the "Super Saving Shipping" because I can't stand the idea of paying for shipping when I don't have to, but it kinda sucks getting everything late.
This was the offer that was being kicked around:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/student/signup/info

If you have a school email.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

TheSwami posted:

Boy, Get Him To The Greek REALLY wants me to log in to either Twitter or Facebook before I watch the movie or any of the special features. This is not a good trend.
Most new Universal titles are like this.

• Locked thread