Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

I said come in! posted:

Why are they doing this? How could that possibly benefit the viewing experience?
Not about the viewing experience as much as it is playing into the extraordinary popularity of social media because some people can't go a minute without updating their life to the world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

ultraviolence123 posted:

Has Disney released any coupons for Beauty and the Beast yet? I've been spoiled by the coupons in the past for titles like Snow White and don't want to pay $25 for it Tuesday.
Ask and ye shall receive:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3352068

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Just got a chance to watch Beauty and the Beast tonight. It looks fantastic, but that really wasn't any doubt.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Sporadic posted:

It's also a misguided attempt to boost DVD/Blu-Ray sales. If the extras are only in the retail copies, that means people will be forced to buy new, right?
It's usually only Warner Bros. titles. Most other releases are the actual retail disc from what I remember.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

FitFortDanga posted:

Apocalypse Now reviewed

edit: and Hausu
What's going on in the screenshot with the veil? Why does the Criterion version have a purple filter happening?

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

I watched How to Train Your Dragon last night, it does look pretty spectacular. It's a good movie to boot too. A animated Dreamworks movie that's good? I'm shocked.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

FirstCongoWar posted:

They're making a sequel AND a weekly Cartoon Network TV show, soooooo
This is pretty much the fate of any Dreamworks cartoon.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

I said come in! posted:

I don't understand how the blu-ray doesn't look better then the Canal+ H.264 screen shot. At least to me, I see a lot more detail in the blu-ray. Remember, mousing over is the blu-ray.
There is a ton of edge enhancement/smoothing going on.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

doctor thodt posted:

I'm guessing Nemo will be this time next year in conjunction with the Cars 2 BD.

The A-Team (12/14) cover art is a photoshop nightmare.

I refuse to believe that's Liam Neeson.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

FitFortDanga posted:

Alien
Looks fantastic as expected, but it's hard for a Ridley Scott film not to on blu ray. Every one has pretty much been a home run.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Red posted:

- The cost of a mailer for the DVD
- The cost to mail out that DVD
I'm pretty sure they give you a prepaid label to ship the items to them.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

El Jackalope posted:

Oh hey B&N is having a 50% off Criterion Blu Ray sale.

http://bit.ly/bn1UeJ
I picked up Paths of Glory and Darjeeling last night when I walked in the store because I didn't know the sale was going on. This sale couldn't have come at a worse time. Just need more money to buy that Seven Samurai set and Yojimbo.. :smith:

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

doctor thodt posted:

America Lost and Found: The BBS Story reviewed. Have only skimmed through it so far because it's a massive review, but I'm pretty sure I know what I want for Christmas.

As an aside, how is Gary not functionally blind by now?
Kind of curious why they put A Safe Place and Drive He Said on the same disc.

Unless I'm missing out on some kind of connection looking the two up.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

I'm getting around to my massive backlog of BDs to watch, and goddamn if The Punisher doesn't have the worst menu I've seen yet of a Blu-Ray.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Amazon's schedule of 'Black Friday' DVD/BD deals:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html/ref=s9_al_gw_feat?ie=UTF8&docId=1000452571

I find it interesting that Back to the Future is going to be featured the Monday after Thanksgiving.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Red posted:

$40 seems like a lot for one flick, even if it is a Studio Ghibli.

I'm afraid of how much they're going to ask for Mononoke, even though I'm going to pay whatever it is.
That's just the SRP. You'll probably be able to pick it up for about $25

The Japanese screencaps I've seen of Nausicaa are really good. I just hope that we don't get the UK version. It seems like they got rid of almost all the grain.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Red posted:

Best Buy and most other brick and mortar shops will never carry a Ghibli release (none of them carry Criterions), so they'll be at full price at Barnes & Noble. If I reserve them, MovieStop will have them at a reasonable price.

Although, I guess Amazon is an option.
I don't know what Best Buy you are shopping at, but my local store carries Criterions. Maybe it's a specialized market thing.

Also, Ghibli titles are being released through Disney - so there's a pretty good chance it ends up at retailers. When the DVDs of Porco Rosso, The Cat Returns, and Nausicaa came out in 2005, they were definitely in stores.

Although you should almost always buy online for the cheapest price.

Harlock fucked around with this message at 10:31 on Nov 20, 2010

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

As sort of an end to the Nausicaa discussion: you can pre-order it on Amazon right now for $27.99.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

Amazon UK has Harry Potter movies (1-6) out for just 25 GBP (40 dollars vs. 70 dollars in Amazon US) and they're region free. Any thoughts on whether Amazon US will slash prices this low on the collection during Thanksgivings?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Harry-Potter-Collection-Years-Blu-ray/dp/B002MPP9JI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1290460741&sr=8-1
The Harry Potter collection was just $49.99 US last week. They might lower it again, but who knows.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

There's a deal to buy BTTF and another BD to get $8 off.

If you combine the deal with Apollo 13, you only spend $2 more for both of them.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.ht..._rd_i=193640011

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

If you guys held off on LOTR for a couple of days..

http://www.target.com/Lord-Rings-Picture-Trilogy-Blu-ray/dp/B003HPAYZG

$8 on Target for the complete set :smug:

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

The Thin Red Line is going to be a Lightning Deal today in about 3 1/2 hours.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

FitFortDanga posted:

SCORSESE
TARANTINO
JENA MALONE

:wtf:
If I had a collection this big, I think it would be a neat idea to have genre dividers like that, but his level of classification is ridiculous.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

doctor thodt posted:

Lost in Translation reviewed
Kind of disappointing that it's virtually a copy/paste from the HDDVD.

But hey, Universal.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

For everyone who waited on Moon, it's $8.99 on Amazon right now.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Speaking of cases, I wish every case was the Criterion case.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Best business decision ever to break up the boxes into two sets. I hope that the OT box will have Empire of Dreams, or some other SW documentary.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

doctor thodt posted:

According to an exec at Universal France, this year will see the release of the Jurassic Park Trilogy, Scarface, a few westerns such as Winchester 73, and more Hitchcock.
Hoping Universal doesn't gently caress up Jurassic Park.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

I'm more disappointed that it's not a ten disc set.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

sportsgenius86 posted:

Just an FYI

Disney sent me an e-mail yesterday saying the blu-rays for Pinocchio, Snow White and Fantasia/Fantasia 2000 are going in the vault on April 30th, so buy them before it's too late.
The first two have been out for a while, but that's really fast for Fantasia.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

So I guess that's all but confirmation the only way to get the original is to buy the 5-disc set?

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Kaboobi posted:

Now is there anywhere that'll actually sell Nausicaa for $25 or less?
Amazon has Nausicaa for $24.99 now. Sometimes people have had success emailing them about the $10 Disney coupons.

So YMMV type of situation.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

hitze posted:

This is pretty weird. The Tron Legacy blu-ray has aspect ratio changes for no apparent reason since it wasn't shot in IMAX.

There were 5 IMAX sequences with a different aspect ratio but they were shot with a different 3D camera.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

The Ten Commandments FMV coming to Sega CD in 2011.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Volcasarus ReX posted:

I did my first blind buy on a blu tonight and it may have been a mistake. It was the Dead Space 2 Aftermath blu and I figured I would like it since I'm a huge fan of that series. When I got home I looked up the review on Bluray.com and it wasn't very good at all. Apparently some fairly jagged edges and such. IGN was a little more accepting of the blu.

I haven't watched it yet, but I think I may have kinda wasted 25$
As long as you saw how much it sucked before you opened it. Return that poo poo so fast.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

idoliside posted:

I'm amazed there isn't a box set of this yet. Do different studios own the different films or are they after a cash grab?
Am I going to get wooshed on this or what?

http://www.amazon.com/Die-Hard-Collection-Vengeance-Blu-ray/dp/B000W4HIY0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1304324427&sr=8-1

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

RichterIX posted:

If you have a Target near you they have individual releases of all three of these for like $15.
Saw them on sale for $10 recently, don't know if they still are though.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

This is something I'm genuinely interested in, but will probably wait for the reviews on. ESPN's 30-for-30 documentary series is being put on BD. It's a Best Buy exclusive starting today (of all things).

I know there's probably some sports fellows here who will enjoy this, if not people who like documentaries in general. The MSRP is $99.99, so hopefully that gets slashed a bit. But knowing Best Buy, probably not all that great.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Sporadic posted:

I'd suggest getting the three disc version if possible. It has the Hearts Of Darkness documentary in HD.
It sadly hasn't even dropped below $42 on Amazon yet :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

morestuff posted:

Are they really including a certificate of authenticity for a $0.50 plastic T-rex?
It's a real dinosaur. From Jurassic Park. It has Hammond's signature on that COA.

• Locked thread