Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

They vault things. There's a wiki out there that says what date something was vaulted. If your local store still has copies of something that's in the vault, better grab it before you have to pay ridiculous mark up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

It's a western, therefore it must be yellow. Brilliant.

A real shame, because the detail is fantastic.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Ghostbusters II is coming out on blu ray (finally!) this summer. There's also word of re-releasing Ghostbusters. With the 4K remaster already out, I'm not sure how that release would differ. Unless it's supplemental material.

quote:

The landmark sci-fi / comedy mashup Ghostbusters arrived in movie theaters 30 years ago this weekend — but if you were too young to catch the film on the big screen back in 1984, you're getting another chance this summer. According to Entertainment Weekly, Ghostbusters will be re-released in more than 700 theaters on August 29th, the centerpiece of a campaign to celebrate the enduringly popular film's milestone birthday.

The movie's re-release is only one aspect of the campaign Sony Pictures has planned for the summer — special events, new merchandise, and a new Blu-ray set are also part of the plan. On September 16th, Ghostbusters and its sequel Ghostbusters II will receive 30th anniversary and 25th anniversary editions, respectively. This marks the first time Ghostbuster II has been released on Blu-ray; it'll also contain deleted scenes that haven't yet been released. Both movies will also feature newly recorded conversations with Dan Aykroyd and director Ivan Reitman.

http://www.theverge.com/2014/6/5/5783050/ghostbusters-returns-to-theaters-this-august

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Amazon has the Cowboy Bebop BD up for preorder. It's an Amazon Exclusive edition. Idk what that means.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MMOZ1SS - $69.99

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Yep, this is a thing to be excited for. The original broadway recording of Into the Woods is coming to BD.

http://playbill.com/news/article/original-broadway-production-of-into-the-woods-coming-to-blu-ray-330482#.VBTagJI4hNY.facebook

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Poor Joe Pesci

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

In the far future, an old Toshiba plant has gained sentience. They have sent back a Terminator to ensure that HD-DVD wins the high def format war

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

I've pretty much stopped buying blu rays unless it's of something I know will probably never end up on streaming. I already own most of my favorite movies. There's few special features to me that'd be worth it. I only care about commentaries on TV shows since they're shorter and a bit more lighthearted and fun. I would rebuy stuff I already own if a better PQ version came out though.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Good thing I didn't buy any movies yet.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

If zombies have super speed why do they walk like Bernie

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Look, I just want Yub Nub in dolby digital THX d-box 7.1 surround sound

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Basebf555 posted:

I'm terrible at noticing the difference between different transfers, and I'm glad because for the most part I don't even have to think about this stuff. I have the "bad" versions of Jurassic Park, Star Wars, The Good The Bad and The Ugly, and plenty others I'm sure. Never made a difference because they look so much better than DVD's and that novelty has not worn off yet for me.
I've attempted to return my Gladiator disc like 4 times but never care enough to finish the job

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

If Veronica Mars could make something like 6m on Kickstarter, surely Firefly can hit similar goals.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Alien is worth a watch at last once a year imo.

To contribute to my blu ray experience I was gifted the Mad Men complete set. Man the discs are in the tightest sleeves known to man.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Sony is asking people to pay $30 a movie to stream 4k content. So.. hold on to your Blu Ray players.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Slimer gets a bigger photo than Ernie Hudson

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Where's Wallace, String?

*standing to right of frame*

Oh.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

I'm not completely sold on the streaming future as rights deals move and shift so often or stuff simply is unavailable.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

It doesn't matter because stand alone complex is bad.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

I ended up getting the whole Mad Men set but back in the day seasons would go for $5 each.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

If Gkids is re-releasing all the Ghibli movies maybe the Disney versions will go cheaper than $10.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Egbert Souse posted:

Next year. Criterion probably has some good stuff planned.

Speaking of anniversaries, it's really strange that Fox/Lucasfilm isn't doing anything special for the 40th anniversary of Star Wars. I guess they don't want to overshadow The Last Jedi, but it's really weird given there's a 4K restoration completed. Not even a repackaging or at least a Fathom event.

They are showing all of the movies in a special event in theaters leading up to The Last Jedi. Not sure if they specified what version of the films.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Are The Postman and Waterworld in the same universe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

I assume the new Studio Ghibli blu rays by G-Kids are the same transfers as the Disney verison?

• Locked thread