Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist

kuddles posted:

I agree, I was just referring to this new weird phenomenon where a vocal minority come out and aggressively demand that all Bluray releases be widescreen no matter what.

They don't care about intended aspect ratios. Back when everyone had 4:3 televisions, they just didn't want big black bars at the top and bottom of the screen. Now everyone's got 16:9 sets and they don't want them on the sides.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

The Great Twist
Theres a Terminator box set in an endoskeleton head, but it's not the whole series. It's just the various different DVD and Blu Ray releases of T2.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

The Great Twist
Definitely gonna pick up T2 and probably Interstellar.

Will be something like the 4th or 5th time I've bought Terminator 2.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

The Great Twist
I tried watching a couple 3D movies on my Oculus Rift, but kept getting a headache after a few minutes because of the low frame rate. Also it ends up looking quiet pixelated and the "screen door effect" is very obvious (but the pixels on the Rift are this weird triangle shape instead of squares). Not to mention you have to jump through hoops to find software to make it work at all. Maybe it's better on the PSVR.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

The Great Twist

Empress Brosephine posted:

Getting a psvr what 3D blu ryascyou guys reccomend?

Can't speak for PSVR but watching them on my Oculus gives me a headache within five minutes.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

The Great Twist
The 4K version of Terminator 2 is pretty disappointing. The image quality varies wildly from shot to shot. Sometimes it looks fantastic, and some shots are blurry to the point of looking like a DVD without the artifacting. The new color grading is fine for the most part, they got rid of the overly blue-ish hue to a lot of scenes, but it does seem a bit washed out at times. Also it supposedly had a DTS:X audio track but I only see DTS-HD in the menu (not that my system can take advantage of it anyway). The 4K disc only has the theatrical version, and it even has a loving note at the beginning about "this 3D version" that they didn't bother to remove since it's not in 3D.

I'd say don't waste your money.

Monday_ fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Dec 29, 2017

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

The Great Twist

TheScott2K posted:

I still treasure my TWO Ultimate Edition DVD

Ultimate Edition was amazing, then the Extreme Edition a few years later was even better.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

The Great Twist

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

How often does Disney let its marvel movies go on sale? I assume the answer is “never,” but I’d like to start buying them up and I’m fine with waiting until Black Friday/cyber Monday if it means I’ll be able to catch a deal.

Well, I just picked up Spider-Man: Homecoming as part of Amazon's "3 4K Blu Rays for $50" sale, but I'm not sure if that deal includes every 4K disc they have or just certain ones.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

The Great Twist

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Which of these UHD Blu-Rays are absolute must-gets? I'm considering getting an Xbox One S mainly for the UHD player inside because I already have a PS4 Pro for all my gaming needs, but I just got a 4K TV recently and I want to see some real eye-poppingly loving gorgeous 4K content, and the base One S is just above $200 on Amazon now so it's not insanely expensive.

I know not a ton of movies are on UHD yet, but I have these on my Amazon wish list and love all these, so if I were to get an XB1, which would be absolutely essential to buy with the system?

2001 A Space Odyssey (pre-order)
Blade Runner 2049
Chappie
John Wick / John Wick Chapter 2
Lucy
Mad Max: Fury Road
The Purge Trilogy
Sicario
Terminator 2

I have some of these on Blu-Ray already but I want to see what the full power of this 4K TV with HDR is like.

I'd be careful about getting the One S, a lot of people had a problem with 4K Blu Rays having extremely washed out colors. I replaced mine with the One X and it works fine, but it's also a lot more expensive.

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Didn't they not even use that much CG though? Like I thought that movie was mostly practical effects with minimal CG stuff like digital removal of certain things.

Most of the explosions were done with a mix of practical effects and CGI.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

The Great Twist
Wouldn't surprise me if a lot of studios do 2K digital intermediates just to save time. Not long ago I read that it's typical for a sound editor to only get 2 days to do an entire film.

• Locked thread