Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Business Octopus
Jun 27, 2005

Me IRL
I'd like some vocal critique as well. I think I've got a powerful voice, but I'm very much a bass singer. I can hit the bass E but it'd be cool if some of the more experienced folks here would give some tips as to extending the upper range a bit (so often I'm just like a semi-tone or two off singing a song that I really want) or just giving more weight to the notes I can already sing above middle C.

http://www.tindeck.com/listen/ddrd

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Business Octopus
Jun 27, 2005

Me IRL

Triple Tech posted:

MAD pitchy... Unnecessary swipes, lack of phrasing, breath control, etc.

My advice, learn how to breath properly, sing taller, classical vowels, and learn to sing a cleaner version of that song with way, way less swipes.

I have a really hard time believing that you have a powerful voice. There are so many fundamental errors. If you sang a simpler version of that song, or any other song really, with the right breath control, that would fix the pitchiness. And that would be a good place to start. But you have a long way to go to "powerful".

Haha by powerful, I mean that I'm capable of singing very loudly even in a fairly low range. I guess I don't really know what powerful is in a vocal context, just another way of saying that you have a great voice? And swipes here are changing the pitch on a single vowel yes? I basically just copied Paul Robeson's version of Amazing Grace without the super slow tempo that he uses. I guess I should try sticking to non-a capella stuff for a while as I know that I'm much more apt to go off key when trying to sing without reference tones backing me.

Business Octopus
Jun 27, 2005

Me IRL
I had my first voice lesson today and I've really got to recommend that anyone here take at least a few. I literally gained a minor third in the upper part of my range in one day. Granted it was probably more due to the power of suggestion than by the technique tips we went over (singing is so freaking psychological), but it was a good decision.

• Locked thread