Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Solomon Grundy posted:

Just wait until you graduate and have a job and there is no celebrating again ever because there is always something billable that you could be doing instead.

Plaintiffs' attorneys celebrate when you win because you finally get to eat.

Practicing's actually kind of fun if you're a contrarian and love to yell "BULLSHIT" at everything served across your desk. At least for the first year.

G-Mawwwwwww fucked around with this message at 01:20 on May 9, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mushi
Oct 13, 2003
I am addicted to video games.

IrritationX posted:

That would be me.

Oregon hasn't gotten on-board with pro se assistance and unbundling programs yet, and are more focused on pro bono representation. But that doesn't mean you can't take the lead on that.

One thing you can do is talk with the Legal Services office that should be in just about every court house in the state, and leave them your contact information for referral to any clients who don't qualify for assistance but can't afford full services. Then, you consult with whoever is referred, agree on the level of assistance you're going to provide and what rates you'll charge.

The benefit of this is that client isn't going to tie up as much of your time as a full service client will, which means you'll have time to help more people, and if they're happy they're going to come back the next time they have a problem, as well as possibly referring more people to you. The benefit to them is they're not going in completely ignorant of what's going on, don't have to spend a bunch of time doing legal research and teaching themselves about what the next steps are going to be, and they can have a better idea of what they're going to see and hear in the court room if you prepare them in advance. The benefit to the court is the staff isn't going to be tied up answering their questions about procedure and brushing them off when they ask for legal advice, which takes a ton more time than helping an attorney, as well as helping keep refilings and continuances off the docket.

If Legal Services doesn't have a list of attorneys and is hesitant to get your contact information, explain the above to them. It should change their tune.

e: Here is some information through the ABA website.
Thanks. This post is super helpful and I might have a few more questions for you. If you don't mind me asking, what jurisdiction do you work in? I just got admitted recently, but yeah, pro se representation is (as far as I know) what Legal Aid does in Oregon. I'm planning on helping with the bankruptcy clinic through legal aid, but that is all full scale representation on a volunteer basis. At a Q&A, the attorneys who work the clinic said a few times that their private bankruptcy clients look like millionaires compared to the people who are taken in by the pro se clinic. Yikes.

Incredulous Red
Mar 25, 2008

Above the Law posted:

86. Northeastern: Practical legal experience, and you can’t walk down Landsdowne Street without stumbling into nubile co-eds from one of the area’s 8 million colleges.

Ainsley!!!!

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls
So I've been accepted into Pace, and I'm awaiting a second letter to see if I got any aid or scholarship money. I might get a little, since I got a merit from New York Law and a few other T3s. For this argument, let's assume I get like $10-15k.

My #1 is Rutgers and #2 is Seton. I'm due for a response any day now, and my friend with a significantly lower LSAT got in, so I'm still positive. Rutgers, because of it's rank and low price, I'm pretty sure I'm going there if I get in regardless of what I get elsewhere.

Assume I get rejected from Rutgers, but get into Seton, which is like $45k a year in tuition. If there's a $15-20k difference in tuition, is it worth losing the benefit of going to a more prestigious school like Seton to take the money?? Although I have an interest in land use and environmental law (pace has two big progrmas) I always figured that Seton or Rutgers would be better, but some practicing lawyers have told me to consider Pace if I get an award over those schools

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

THE MACHO MAN posted:

more prestigious school like Seton

Seton isn't prestigious in any way shape or form. This is harsh but you need to be aware that anytime someone sees you went there you will need a stellar GPA to avoid getting your resume immediately binned.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

evilweasel posted:

Seton isn't prestigious in any way shape or form. This is harsh but you need to be aware that anytime someone sees you went there you will need a stellar GPA to avoid getting your resume immediately binned.

Nah, not harsh at all. I'd rather get the real answers. I was under the impression that it's not great, but it's certainly a good school. I don't think I wrote it before, but my goal is to work in the tri-state area if that impacts the answers at all

Is Rutgers looked upon favorably at all or what?? I thought Rutgers and Seton were similarly ranked

djs622
Sep 16, 2007

THE MACHO MAN posted:

So I've been accepted into Pace, and I'm awaiting a second letter to see if I got any aid or scholarship money. I might get a little, since I got a merit from New York Law and a few other T3s. For this argument, let's assume I get like $10-15k.

My #1 is Rutgers and #2 is Seton. I'm due for a response any day now, and my friend with a significantly lower LSAT got in, so I'm still positive. Rutgers, because of it's rank and low price, I'm pretty sure I'm going there if I get in regardless of what I get elsewhere.

Assume I get rejected from Rutgers, but get into Seton, which is like $45k a year in tuition. If there's a $15-20k difference in tuition, is it worth losing the benefit of going to a more prestigious school like Seton to take the money?? Although I have an interest in land use and environmental law (pace has two big progrmas) I always figured that Seton or Rutgers would be better, but some practicing lawyers have told me to consider Pace if I get an award over those schools

Wow first troll of the thread.

Revolver
Feb 23, 2004

nm posted:

California:
DA or PD gets $50-98k out of law school depending on location ($98k is SF) with an average of 70-80k.
Mid-law here is $80-100k with a bit more in SF/LA (These firms are actually hiring as well)

So there are plenty of 80k jobs out here. I can't imagine NYC pays much less than CA's non-SF firms.

Not trying to be a dick, but I would love to see some actual job postings that reflect these numbers. The DA and PD numbers you note are particularly unbelieveable.

Chakron
Mar 11, 2009

djs622 posted:

The title is the troll (it is unreasonably optimistic)

The Arsteia
Nov 17, 2008

11th hour in the library, gonna be here until 2

HiddenReplaced
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah...
it's wanking time.

THE MACHO MAN posted:

Nah, not harsh at all. I'd rather get the real answers. I was under the impression that it's not great, but it's certainly a good school. I don't think I wrote it before, but my goal is to work in the tri-state area if that impacts the answers at all

Is Rutgers looked upon favorably at all or what?? I thought Rutgers and Seton were similarly ranked

The tri-state area doing what? Whatever it is you want to do, is it really worth 160k in debt?

Haha, I just looked up Rutgers, I had no idea it was a public school. If you don't get in at Rutgers, you probably shouldn't go to law school. I'm not really sure how to justify spending 100k+ on tuition alone at one of those other schools.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

djs622 posted:

I like how when people come into the law school thread expressing a desire to go to law school we suspect that they're trolls

i believe that says something about law school

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account

BigHead posted:

Edit: also, other graduating 3Ls, what percentage of your class is so disinterested in graduating law school that they refuse to walk? I wouldn't say 1/4 of my class isn't walking, but it's pretty darn close.
There's a law-school-only ceremony that I plan on attending and my parents are driving up for, but a cap and gown rental for JDs was like $500 or something ludicrous like that, and UT is a huge loving university, so I have zero interest in another huge-rear end graduation.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

HiddenReplaced posted:

The tri-state area doing what? Whatever it is you want to do, is it really worth 160k in debt?

Haha, I just looked up Rutgers, I had no idea it was a public school. If you don't get in at Rutgers, you probably shouldn't go to law school. I'm not really sure how to justify spending 100k+ on tuition alone at one of those other schools.

Ok this is pretty much what I was asking thanks

Ainsley McTree posted:

I like how when people come into the law school thread expressing a desire to go to law school we suspect that they're trolls

i believe that says something about law school

almost every single lawyer and law student I know has said to not go because of the insane debt and limited chances for high pay when coming out. The cost of Rutgers is pretty much the main reason I want to go there... decent enough school without soul crushing debt.

I just want a drat answer so I can just decide if I'm going to go already :(

zzyzx
Mar 2, 2004

Elotana posted:

There's a law-school-only ceremony that I plan on attending and my parents are driving up for, but a cap and gown rental for JDs was like $500 or something ludicrous like that, and UT is a huge loving university, so I have zero interest in another huge-rear end graduation.

Holy poo poo. I think ours were $80.

The Arsteia
Nov 17, 2008

THE MACHO MAN posted:

almost every single lawyer and law student I know has said to not go because of the insane debt and limited chances for high pay when coming out. The cost of Rutgers is pretty much the main reason I want to go there... decent enough school without soul crushing debt.

i go to a TTT for free and it still feels like a waste, cant imagine what paying for it would be like

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

zzyzx posted:

Holy poo poo. I think ours were $80.

$500 is insane. I don't actually remember paying any money for the gown, I think it might have been free. We paid a $50 deposit for the tams, but we got it back if we returned them (which made the hat-tossing at the end very tense)

HiddenReplaced
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah...
it's wanking time.

Elotana posted:

Cap and gown...rental? You don't get to keep it? You pay $500 and you don't get to keep it?

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels

THE MACHO MAN posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dYRJLr90vSA

Seriously though, read OP and reassess.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

The Arsteia posted:

i go to a TTT for free and it still feels like a waste, cant imagine what paying for it would be like

What year are you and do you feel it's a waste? Poor job prospects or what?

sigmachiev posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dYRJLr90vSA

Seriously though, read OP and reassess.

hahaha

Yeah I just finished reading the op and posted. It's definitely informative. One of my good friends just graduated from upenn and has been saying a lot of this stuff to me and I've been considering it. I just think it's good to get more input.

THE MACHO MAN fucked around with this message at 04:10 on May 9, 2010

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account
Maybe I misheard someone and they were talking about the deposit, who knows. Never been interested in the big graduation ceremony though.

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM

THE MACHO MAN posted:

Is anything we say really going to convince you *not* to go?

I went to Loyola Chicago, almost exactly the same USNWR rank as Rutgers and in probably the second or third largest legal market in the country. Like Rutgers, Loyola has been called a "strong regional school".

I was just sworn in to practice law on Thursday. At the swearing in, I saw about a half-dozen classmates; winter grads, February bar exam, so a small sample size, to be sure. Still, not a single one of them, myself included, has secured legal employment. I got lucky as gently caress and was selected for JAG, but that doesn't start for nearly a year and certainly isn't a career path most have in mind when considering law school.

I just looked at my Facebook for reference. I have ~40 Facebook friends that are law school classmates, class of '09 or '10. Of those, 4 have jobs at medium-large law firms, one is a PD in California, one lucked into Doc Review temp work, 2 are current/future JAG, 1 works as a paralegal in the firm that swore up and down they'd make her an attorney when she finished law school and passed the bar. EVERY SINGLE OTHER PERSON is unemployed or working in some job completely unrelated to law including (but not necessarily limited to) Clerk at Whole Foods, Bartender (2), Landscaper, and "Sales". Nothing wrong with those jobs at all, as long as you haven't wasted three years of your life and several dozen G's to get there.

I know how you feel, I was you in Spring 2006. Elated that a few of the schools I had chosen accepted me, weighing my options, figuring out who would give me the most bang for my buck, who was more "prestigious". It was an exciting time. But the advice I'm giving you now applied to me then as well and at least then I had the economy in my favor. Don't go unless the whole thing is paid for, or you're going to be sorry. I can virtually guarantee it.

e: And for the record, nobody is going to pay you to do "environmental law", except huge corporations might if you help them destroy it. But then again they usually only want people who've done a few years at a Vault firm and have a decent pedigree. Rutgers is not that pedigree. You'll be hustling outside the courtroom for misdemeanor defense and slip-and-falls, and that's IF you have the brass balls and the malpractice insurance to get out there on your own.

Defleshed fucked around with this message at 04:26 on May 9, 2010

The Arsteia
Nov 17, 2008

THE MACHO MAN posted:

im a 1L. Job prospects are pretty poor right now up here (the Cities (although not as bad as elsewhere in the country apparently)) so its sort of discouraging to know that my degree will have really limited application. i'm applying for transfer to Minnesota and Wisconsin at the moment (Wisconsin already promised me a seat), and ive planned to since i decided to go here. if you dont mind spending a year at a school that you plan to leave after a year, then maybe think long and hard about going. if you plan on going and staying: pretty much dont

Incredulous Red
Mar 25, 2008

THE MACHO MAN posted:

Let's start with your numbers. What are they?

JudicialRestraints
Oct 26, 2007

Are you a LAWYER? Because I'll have you know I got GOOD GRADES in LAW SCHOOL last semester. Don't even try to argue THE LAW with me.
I went to a party last night where two sophmores got really excited when I mentioned I was a law student. They indicated that they wanted to go to law school and started crowding really close to me. Before long they were fawning over me, touching me - laughing at jokes that weren't funny. I had both of them in the palm of my hand.

I tried to give them the spiel about how you shouldn't go to law school but all that I could see in their eyes was lust, for the prestige, for the 'big money,' for me. I could have taken them right there at the party and neither one of them would have objected.

Yeah, you could say that law school was a good investment :smug:

They were both dudes, dating each other

The Arsteia
Nov 17, 2008

JudicialRestraints posted:

I went to a party last night where two sophmores got really excited when I mentioned I was a law student. They indicated that they wanted to go to law school and started crowding really close to me. Before long they were fawning over me, touching me - laughing at jokes that weren't funny. I had both of them in the palm of my hand.

I tried to give them the spiel about how you shouldn't go to law school but all that I could see in their eyes was lust, for the prestige, for the 'big money,' for me. I could have taken them right there at the party and neither one of them would have objected.

yeah if you've never impressed a sexy coed with tales of law school well then go right on back to gbs. imo

the rest of the time just tell people you're a grad student :negative:

HolySwissCheese
Mar 26, 2005
A friend of a friend I had just met made that "oooh" sound and her eyes got wider when it came up that I was a law student and then everyone in the room made fun of her for it.

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama
Yall should try living in DC where literally every person under age 30 is a law student and every person over age 30 is a lawyer

Tetrix
Aug 24, 2002

JudicialRestraints posted:

what the gently caress why didn't you take them home and fu.....oh

Incredulous Red
Mar 25, 2008

Tetrix posted:

what the gently caress why didn't you take them home and fu.....oh

blowjob for summary buttfuck

IrritationX
May 5, 2004

Bitch, what you don't know about me I can just about squeeze in the Grand fucking Canyon.

mushi posted:

Thanks. This post is super helpful and I might have a few more questions for you. If you don't mind me asking, what jurisdiction do you work in? I just got admitted recently, but yeah, pro se representation is (as far as I know) what Legal Aid does in Oregon. I'm planning on helping with the bankruptcy clinic through legal aid, but that is all full scale representation on a volunteer basis. At a Q&A, the attorneys who work the clinic said a few times that their private bankruptcy clients look like millionaires compared to the people who are taken in by the pro se clinic. Yikes.

I'll give you whatever information I can. I'm not currently working, just finishing a graduate program in court administration at the University of Denver law school. I'm applying for court clerk/administrator positions here in Colorado, as well as in the northwest--hopefully back to Oregon, where I'm from. But pro se litigants and case flow management are two of my pet projects, because they work so well together.

I know exactly how it goes with unrepresented folks when they go to bankruptcy court. One day in the bankruptcy court here in Denver was all it took to make me want to do as much as I could to get them the help they need. Not only for their sake, but the system's.

J Miracle
Mar 25, 2010
It took 32 years, but I finally figured out push-ups!

The Arsteia posted:

I heaaaaarrrrddddddd that

I paid for the first year like a chump too

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Paying for the privilege of being overqualified to work at starbucks is for chumps, yeah

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Draile posted:

Well, a starting position in a NYC DA's office pays about 50-54k depending on borough. As expensive as SF is I doubt cost of living is nearly double New York's.
Seriously?
You'll make that or more in east jesus nowhere, CA where you can buy a palace for $250k.
So yeah, don't move to New York. (Don't move to CA either, no jobs).
Hell, Minneapolis pays $50ishk out of LS.

stingray1381 posted:

Not trying to be a dick, but I would love to see some actual job postings that reflect these numbers. The DA and PD numbers you note are particularly unbelieveable.
This was open a few weeks ago:
http://www.jobaps.com/SF/specs/classspecdisplay.asp?ClassNumber=8177&R1=undefined&R3=undefined
Yes, that is Attorney I. There is a catch: It isn'tt civil service (at will, which can be bad if you're expensive and it is crunch time), and it isn't exactly easy to get in.
Sacramento PD just bumped starting salaries to $88k, but that is all in theory as they are not hiring (in fct, they are laying off).
Santa Clara DA has an opening starting at $92k -- entry level: http://www.governmentjobs.com/view_job.cfm?JobID=225587&hit_count=Yes&

Worth noting: DA and PD are paid the same in CA, so do county council though an "entry-level" county council job generally requires experience.
Also worth noting if you actually get any of these jobs you've worked for free for a bit somewhere in CA.

nm fucked around with this message at 09:59 on May 9, 2010

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama
Has there been a change in the qualifications for federal government jobs? I remember GS-11 jobs being entry level, requiring only a J.D. Now whenever I see a GS-11 job it requires either (1) one year of experience, or (2) top 1/3 class or law review membership to qualify. GS-12 now requires two years' experience, but I remember it as having required only one.

Beautiful Flower
Apr 9, 2007

Peter Gabriel's solo stuff is pretty ok imho

THE MACHO MAN posted:

hahaha

Yeah I just finished reading the op and posted. It's definitely informative. One of my good friends just graduated from upenn and has been saying a lot of this stuff to me and I've been considering it. I just think it's good to get more input.

trying to justify why the OP doesn't apply to you != "considering"

OptimistPrime
Jul 18, 2008

Blakkout posted:

The only thing better than celebrating the end of the year with finals, is celebrating the end of finals with a two week journal petition. I think this is "soul crushing" to a T.

Blakkout, you're at U. Minn, right? While the typing and bluebooking is unavoidably sucky, I found that reading the source materials, developing arguments, and editing the paper is a lot less soul-crushing when you're sitting by Lake Calhoun, ogling joggers and seeing the sun.

If you want any advice, let me know. I wrote on and later graded petitions.

lipstick thespian
Sep 20, 2005

by Ozmaugh
JudicialRestraints, what do you plan on doing after graduation?

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Draile posted:

Has there been a change in the qualifications for federal government jobs? I remember GS-11 jobs being entry level, requiring only a J.D. Now whenever I see a GS-11 job it requires either (1) one year of experience, or (2) top 1/3 class or law review membership to qualify. GS-12 now requires two years' experience, but I remember it as having required only one.

I was recently told (by the USPTO) that qualification at GS-11 requires either one year of specialized experience or a Ph.D., and that a J.D. alone will only qualify a candidate for GS-9.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Ersatz posted:

I was recently told (by the USPTO) that qualification at GS-11 requires either one year of specialized experience or a Ph.D., and that a J.D. alone will only qualify a candidate for GS-9.

This is accurate, except I think you need above a 3.0 for your JD to get GS-9, otherwise GS-7. Then again, I'm a GS-12 after two and a half years, so it's not like promotion comes slowly when working at the fed.