Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

I thought short arms were good for benching :smith:

Omerta fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Aug 17, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feces Starship
Nov 11, 2008

in the great green room
goodnight moon

TheBestDeception posted:

Via Email: Job Alert!

Came here to post this.

TheBestDeception
Nov 28, 2007

soj89 posted:

Actually, one more thing: if they want a writing sample, what would you send? a part of a factum or part of a "research paper"? The factum was from an option moot in 2L, I also have samples from research papers for two paper courses...

If its anything similar to over here, writing samples should be briefs, not scholarly articles. Which sucks, because I have a nice collection of seminar research papers and only 1 moot court brief (from 1L year).

zzyzx
Mar 2, 2004

JudicialRestraints posted:

Awesome, looks like the curve is nice and low already.

Thank god for illiteracy at state schools.

So the question was Comstock, basically? That sounds more interesting than our conlaw exam.

Incredulous Red
Mar 25, 2008

Ainsley, I know somebody who needs a licensing contract drawn up. Don't know what it pays. You interested?

7StoryFall
Nov 16, 2003

Omerta posted:

Why is the 11th circuit always lowest on the Article III totem pole? Does nobody like Alabama/Georgia/Florida?

It's been down hill since Sherman. Yes, no one likes or should like any of those three states.

Aschlafly
Jan 5, 2004

I identify as smart.
(But that doesn't make it so...)

Draile posted:

When did you apply?
A day after the deadline, so I'm not terribly surprised.

Like I said, I'm having math withdrawal. I was actually accepted to awesome grad school programs for theoretical bio (Stanford, Berkeley, Davis, UCLA) and agreed to go to Berkeley before freaking the gently caress out, going into panic mode, and not communicating with anyone. Maybe law school failure is a sign that I ought to rebuild those burned bridges and give grad school another shot.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Aschlafly posted:

Like I said, I'm having math withdrawal. I was actually accepted to awesome grad school programs for theoretical bio (Stanford, Berkeley, Davis, UCLA) and agreed to go to Berkeley before freaking the gently caress out, going into panic mode, and not communicating with anyone. Maybe law school failure is a sign that I ought to rebuild those burned bridges and give grad school another shot.

Yes, yes it is. At the very least, don't go to law school if you don't want to be a lawyer. it sounds like you don't

The Arsteia
Nov 17, 2008

Tetrix posted:

B

basically

The Arsteia
Nov 17, 2008

Lawrence? Since when is 'conlaw' 'buttsex law'

since like.. 2003

7StoryFall
Nov 16, 2003

Aschlafly posted:

Do that and become a quant. You'll make more money, work less, and crash the stock market every so often.

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama

Aschlafly posted:

Well, maybe. You know best what you want to do. But I'm sure you realize that you got waitlisted at Harvard because the class was already full, not because you didn't have the numbers. Apply on the first day of next year's cycle and you'll get into any school you want, most of them with a lot of money.

Anyway, you didn't fail—you applied too late.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Aschlafly posted:

Trust me, you're better off this way.

You don't want to know what happens if you blow deadlines as a lawyer.

JudicialRestraints
Oct 26, 2007

Are you a LAWYER? Because I'll have you know I got GOOD GRADES in LAW SCHOOL last semester. Don't even try to argue THE LAW with me.

zzyzx posted:

So the question was Comstock, basically? That sounds more interesting than our conlaw exam.

If you answered comstock you got the question wrong which is what she was complaining about. I talked about comstock and ames to illustrate the federal police power and then I mentioned that they totes don't apply to the situation in the fact pattern.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
I've seen a lot of people in this thread (well, the last one) say "so what if I can't get a biglaw job, I'll just get a job with a district attorney, public defender, ACLU, international law panda"
These jobs are loving hard to get. Combine the overload of law students with the crunch of public budgets, and the only way you're getting a job if someone dies.
Find one of those spots? Good luck.
DA and PD offices don't care about where you went to law school, they care about how much experience you have, and it needs to be local experience. Did you work for a PDs office in state X for years in LS? In state Y no one cares, even if you have trial experience. Did you go to UVA, work in the federal defender's honors program and want a job in CA? Have fun not being hired because a non-accredited law grad who look 5 times to pass the bar worked for free at a nearby PDs office.
PD and DA jobs only come to those who are willing to work for free for a few months after you pass the bar these days.
Most postings for entry level DA/PD positions are kind of shams to let the free help get jobs. You will never beat the guy they know and wanted to hire anyway.

Finally, the hiring people have a pretty good idea of who is actually interested in criminal law and who is interested in civil. Did you do your 2L year at civil firm? Rejected. No clinics/internships at DA/PD offices? Rejected. They feel wrong about you? Rejected.

If you want a DA/PD office job, you need to start by the beginning of your 2L year (if not before) in the state you want to work in. It isn't a backup job.

Oh and civil law sucks.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

7StoryFall posted:

Do that and become a quant. You'll make more money, work less, and crash the stock market every so often.

Don't become a quant. Quantitative financial analysis, as currently practiced, is dreary as gently caress, completely soulless, and devoid of meaning. I have a math, CS, and econ background and did stochastic modeling for a summer. The math was fun, but the people who will hire you to do the modeling won't be interested in honest predictions, they'll want crazy-rear end models grounded in nothing that make them look good.

If you're in math withdrawal and don't want to give the law school application cycle another shot I'd say go back to grad school and then do something productive for society.

Incredulous Red
Mar 25, 2008

Aschlafly posted:

Go cure cancer or some poo poo

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

nm posted:

I've seen a lot of people in this thread (well, the last one) say "so what if I can't get a biglaw job, I'll just get a job with a district attorney, public defender, ACLU, international law panda"
These jobs are loving hard to get. Combine the overload of law students with the crunch of public budgets, and the only way you're getting a job if someone dies.
Find one of those spots? Good luck.
DA and PD offices don't care about where you went to law school, they care about how much experience you have, and it needs to be local experience. Did you work for a PDs office in state X for years in LS? In state Y no one cares, even if you have trial experience. Did you go to UVA, work in the federal defender's honors program and want a job in CA? Have fun not being hired because a non-accredited law grad who look 5 times to pass the bar worked for free at a nearby PDs office.
PD and DA jobs only come to those who are willing to work for free for a few months after you pass the bar these days.
Most postings for entry level DA/PD positions are kind of shams to let the free help get jobs. You will never beat the guy they know and wanted to hire anyway.

Finally, the hiring people have a pretty good idea of who is actually interested in criminal law and who is interested in civil. Did you do your 2L year at civil firm? Rejected. No clinics/internships at DA/PD offices? Rejected. They feel wrong about you? Rejected.

If you want a DA/PD office job, you need to start by the beginning of your 2L year (if not before) in the state you want to work in. It isn't a backup job.

Oh and civil law sucks.

In Alaska, you pretty much can't get a PD/DA job unless you clerk for a year as well. In fact, 100% of the DAs and PDs I know in Alaska have clerked for state superior court judges, oddly enough. Also, you always need to start in bumblefuck nowhere before you can get a good position. I know in MN as well, the Mpls/St Paul people are much much more likely to hire you if you put in your time in Bumblefuck.

Holland Oats
Oct 20, 2003

Only the dead have seen the end of war
I got my CLS housing today! $830 a month, one roommate, and I'll be living on 113th St. Am I right in thinking that I got pretty lucky?

Incredulous Red
Mar 25, 2008

Holland Oats posted:

I got my CLS housing today! $830 a month, one roommate, and I'll be living on 113th St. Am I right in thinking that I got pretty lucky?

No. You're still going to law school

JudicialRestraints
Oct 26, 2007

Are you a LAWYER? Because I'll have you know I got GOOD GRADES in LAW SCHOOL last semester. Don't even try to argue THE LAW with me.

Holland Oats posted:

I'm paying $260 a month with utilities included.
gently caress New York.

The Arsteia
Nov 17, 2008

gently caress New York.

jesus freaking madison

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

gently caress New York.
Jesus christ.
Do you have roommates or something? I mean that sounds low even for madison.

TheBestDeception
Nov 28, 2007

Holland Oats posted:

That's about what I paid my first year, though I have a 4/1 on 118th (literally takes 2 minutes to walk to class)... though I only had 1 roommate this year, which was p. cool. They increase each year at some BS NYC rate or something.

So yeah, good deal considering your fewer roommates. PS:

gently caress New York.

J Miracle
Mar 25, 2010
It took 32 years, but I finally figured out push-ups!
I just changed my summer class from Evidence to Law and Literature because I just do not give a gently caress

nm
Jan 28, 2008

J Miracle posted:

I just changed my summer class from Evidence to Law and Literature because I just do not give a gently caress
Man, yu're giving up your chance for an easy evidence "A." Evidence is basically the only course that matters.

Mr. Fictitious
Jul 9, 2002

by Ozmaugh
I took the hardest exam I've ever taken in my life this afternoon. It was about soap. The whole thing was about soap.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Mr. Fictitious posted:

I took the hardest exam I've ever taken in my life this afternoon. It was about soap. The whole thing was about soap.
B

Mr. Fictitious
Jul 9, 2002

by Ozmaugh

nm posted:

B
i will be entirely stoked about a B on this motherfucker

Aschlafly
Jan 5, 2004

I identify as smart.
(But that doesn't make it so...)

builds character posted:

Yes, yes it is. At the very least, don't go to law school if you don't want to be a lawyer. it sounds like you don't
Original plan was to go JD -> clerk -> LLM -> SJD -> professor. So yeah, I guess I didn't particularly want to practice law.

Draile posted:

Well, maybe. You know best what you want to do. But I'm sure you realize that you got waitlisted at Harvard because the class was already full, not because you didn't have the numbers. Apply on the first day of next year's cycle and you'll get into any school you want, most of them with a lot of money.

Anyway, you didn't fail—you applied too late.
Definitely, if sating my math appetite doesn't work, I'll be submitting my HY apps in early September, not early February.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

Mr. Fictitious posted:

Objectively the hardest exam I've ever taken was all about statues. And the class was statute based. A statute based statue exam. gently caress you, JTY.

prussian advisor
Jan 15, 2007

The day you see a camera come into our courtroom, its going to roll over my dead body.

Aschlafly posted:

Original plan was to go JD -> clerk -> LLM -> SJD -> professor. So yeah, I guess I didn't particularly want to practice law.

Well, if it makes you feel any better, I don't think this is the way to become a professor anyway. I'm not sure where SJD grads go or what they do, but I've never encountered one.

HolySwissCheese
Mar 26, 2005
Two of my profs this semester were Yale SJDs and two were Yale JDs. The two SJDs were foreign born and educated.

So my advice is to go back in time and be born in Germany.

7StoryFall
Nov 16, 2003
I had an SJD grad as a professor last semester. I think it's possible.

J Miracle
Mar 25, 2010

nm posted:

Man, yu're giving up your chance for an easy evidence "A." Evidence is basically the only course that matters.

Evidence is a required class here so I'll still take it next year I just didn't want to take a 4-credit class compressed into half the time(meaning 2 3-hour classes a week with 60-90 pages of reading per class).

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

Aschlafly posted:

Definitely, if sating my math appetite doesn't work, I'll be submitting my HY apps in early September, not early February.

Don't go to law school. Go for theoretical bio. You'll make more money and you'll actually help people.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

J Miracle posted:

Evidence is a required class here so I'll still take it next year I just didn't want to take a 4-credit class compressed into half the time(meaning 2 3-hour classes a week with 60-90 pages of reading per class).
For some reason I think you go to UMN.
If this is true, take the evidence class over the summer (esp if Cribari is taking it). You will thank me later.
If you don't, for others who might: Take Cribari's summer evidence course. You'll get an "A," you'll learn the gently caress out of evidence, and because the class is small he can write you a real letter of recommendation.

The Arsteia
Nov 17, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZP5DCXD8vc

J Miracle
Mar 25, 2010

nm posted:

For some reason I think you go to UMN.
If this is true, take the evidence class over the summer (esp if Cribari is taking it). You will thank me later.
If you don't, for others who might: Take Cribari's summer evidence course. You'll get an "A," you'll learn the gently caress out of evidence, and because the class is small he can write you a real letter of recommendation.

Sorry dog I go to a TTT in Michigan (not Cooley)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Incredulous Red
Mar 25, 2008

J Miracle posted:

Sorry dog I go to a TTT in Michigan (not Cooley)

Ave Maria?