Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Holland Oats
Oct 20, 2003

Only the dead have seen the end of war

billion dollar bitch posted:

Well, I've decided not to do anything. But Feces, how are you saying "people will cheat will get theirs?" How will people get theirs if nothing happens?

For the record, I know a girl who actually cheated on the LSAT and got into American University LS from that. Of course you can say, "lol she is in law school she got hers amirite?" but then there's necessarily some kid out there who's going to a not-as-good law school, who might have done much better otherwise.

I guess the difference is nobody will know if she cheated on the LSAT and hopefully the prof can just look at the margins...

PS Good luck to you too.

How did the girl cheat on the LSAT?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Incredulous Red
Mar 25, 2008

Well, I've decided not to do anything. But Feces, how are you saying "people will cheat will get theirs?" How will people get theirs if nothing happens?

For the record, I know a girl who actually cheated on the LSAT and got into American University LS from that. Of course you can say, "lol she is in law school she got hers amirite?" but then there's necessarily some kid out there who's going to a not-as-good law school, who might have done much better otherwise.

I guess the difference is nobody will know if she cheated on the LSAT and hopefully the prof can just look at the margins...

PS Good luck to you too.

All I got out of this is that billion dollar bitch is a pussy and doesn't really want to succeed in law school otherwise everyone would already be under the bus.

Gotta be hard to win amirite

billion dollar bitch
Jul 20, 2005

To drink and fight.
To fuck all night.

Holland Oats posted:

How did the girl cheat on the LSAT?

By looking at the (smarter) kid next to her's paper.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester

PS Good luck to you too.

Really? Who was this? I know a couple retarded girls at AU law that it could be.

William Munny
Aug 16, 2005
He should have armed himself if he was goin' to decorate his establishment with my friend.

She's going to get her's by going to AU.

BOOM!

Avalanche
Feb 2, 2007
This might not be the appropriate thread for this, but what is the general opinion about the paralegal side of things? Is it just as hosed as slitting your wrists for the bloodgod? Or is there actually some semblance of opportunity and hope with that choice compared to becoming a full blown lawyer masochist?

There is a local community college near me promoting a two year paralegal program, and it is kind of temping; all things considered, I am a burned out college grad with a BA in linguistics. But, I have heard some hosed up poo poo from buddies who are paralegals. Long hours, bullshit unpaid internships, lawyers who hire paralegals when they have a big amount of cases and then fire them when stuff slows down, good luck finding a job, etc.

Is this a good option to get into law if you're the kind of person that doesn't want to pay back $100k worth in loans after graduating into a jobless economy? Or is the entire paralegal profession just a massive joke that gets tons of people to pay mad amounts of cash for worthless community college classes?

billion dollar bitch
Jul 20, 2005

To drink and fight.
To fuck all night.
When the ship sinks, they throw the cargo over first to save the crew. (not to be a dick or anything)

IrritationX
May 5, 2004

Bitch, what you don't know about me I can just about squeeze in the Grand fucking Canyon.
Paralegal is the new medical transcriptionist, which was the new network engineer.

Incredulous Red
Mar 25, 2008

Avalanche posted:

This might not be the appropriate thread for this, but what is the general opinion about the paralegal side of things? Is it just as hosed as slitting your wrists for the bloodgod? Or is there actually some semblance of opportunity and hope with that choice compared to becoming a full blown lawyer masochist?

There is a local community college near me promoting a two year paralegal program, and it is kind of temping; all things considered, I am a burned out college grad with a BA in linguistics. But, I have heard some hosed up poo poo from buddies who are paralegals. Long hours, bullshit unpaid internships, lawyers who hire paralegals when they have a big amount of cases and then fire them when stuff slows down, good luck finding a job, etc.

Is this a good option to get into law if you're the kind of person that doesn't want to pay back $100k worth in loans after graduating into a jobless economy? Or is the entire paralegal profession just a massive joke that gets tons of people to pay mad amounts of cash for worthless community college classes?

There isn't a whole lot of reason to take 2 years to become a paralegal. Just apply at a bunch of local law firms as a legal assistant/secretary, and if you feel like you're not getting the training you want, take a night certificate course.

Also you'll be the first one fired when the partners feel their profits being threatened by payroll.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
http://abovethelaw.com/2009/02/nationwide-layoff-watch-holland-knight/ From 2009. Who do you think those 173 laid off staff were?

http://abovethelaw.com/2008/05/nationwide-layoff-watch-more-south-florida-suffering/ Or the 70 here?

Insert <your firm name> here.

lipstick thespian
Sep 20, 2005

by Ozmaugh

PS Good luck to you too.

Snitches get stitches. I don't even see how this is a big issue or anything. More words isn't better than and if you get lower grades than someone who skimped on the margins chances are it's simply because your paper sucked and his didn't.

If you do feel the need to go to the professor about the other people's papers, at least don't insult his intelligence by insinuating he isn't capable of picking up a nonexistent margin or weigh its implications on grading without your expert opinion.

Alaemon
Jan 4, 2009

Proctors are guardians of the sanctity and integrity of legal education, therefore they are responsible for the nourishment of the soul.
At my school, we had a dean in charge of honor code issues, and any exam... irregularities went to her, instead of to the professor. We also had mandatory reporting, though, and I don't know if other schools do.

Ultimately, I don't consider law a profession where relying on "karma" to sort things out is appropriate. We have an affirmative duty to report substantial misconduct that reflects on honesty, trustworthiness, or fitness to practice law.

The real question isn't if the misconduct should be reported at all, the question is if it's substantial enough to require reporting. Whether or not the misconduct is more likely to get the person a good score is irrelevant, as I see it. He decided the rules didn't apply to him and cut a corner so he could get a perceived advantage.

The profession has enough assholes like that, for my money, we can do without one more.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Avalanche posted:

There is a local community college near me promoting a two year paralegal program, and it is kind of temping;

You don't need that to be a paralegal a college degree will do.

holybartender
Jun 27, 2004
Do you know how to make a holy bartender?

lipstick thespian posted:

Snitches get stitches.

This is the worst maxim.

JudicialRestraints
Oct 26, 2007

Are you a LAWYER? Because I'll have you know I got GOOD GRADES in LAW SCHOOL last semester. Don't even try to argue THE LAW with me.

holybartender posted:

This is the worst maxim.

Snitches dig their own ditches

holybartender
Jun 27, 2004

JudicialRestraints posted:

Snitches dig their own ditches

Okay at least the other one isn't as wordy.

billion dollar bitch
Jul 20, 2005

To drink and fight.
To fuck all night.

holybartender posted:

This is the worst maxim.

no man if you use it you're totally gangsta

holybartender
Jun 27, 2004
That's a good point. Do you go to (Law) School of Hard Knocks?

I took a 20 page paper I wrote previously with 1" margins and changed them to .5" (top, bottom, left, right) and it shrank by about two pages. It's up to you, I guess. I don't know enough about law exams to say whether that'd mean a lot or not.

billion dollar bitch
Jul 20, 2005

To drink and fight.
To fuck all night.
Yeah man I'm from the hood. Here is one of my homies.

http://community.webshots.com/photo/fullsize/1518023398072470110rLjlIg

Solomon Grundy
Feb 10, 2007

Born on a Monday

Avalanche posted:

Or is the entire paralegal profession just a massive joke that gets tons of people to pay mad amounts of cash for worthless community college classes?

Winner, winner, chicken dinner.

Having hired a number of paralegal over the years, the unemployed folks with a four year degree from a real college in whatever major always outperformed the two year dolts from 13th grade with their paraleglulz certificates.

Feces Starship
Nov 11, 2008

in the great green room
goodnight moon

Alaemon posted:

Ultimately, I don't consider law a profession where relying on "karma" to sort things out is appropriate. We have an affirmative duty to report substantial misconduct that reflects on honesty, trustworthiness, or fitness to practice law.

The real question isn't if the misconduct should be reported at all, the question is if it's substantial enough to require reporting. Whether or not the misconduct is more likely to get the person a good score is irrelevant, as I see it. He decided the rules didn't apply to him and cut a corner so he could get a perceived advantage.

The profession has enough assholes like that, for my money, we can do without one more.

When I said "people who cheat will get theirs" a lot of people interpreted that as relying on a karmic principle. That's part of it, but there's a "personality capital" transaction also going on here.

If you say something, here's what could go right: the person might get their grade reduced or thrown out and you gain some totally minute incremental percent chance of doing better. Now here's what could go wrong: you could piss off the professor because he might deem you a grasping bitch, you could piss off the professor because you could insinuate that he was too dumb to catch it, you could piss off the professor because he might think you a brown-noser trying to work the system, you could piss off your classmates and get a bad reputation as being billion dollar narc if somebody finds out you said something and tells the person you informed on who, because law school is a terrible place, will surely slander your name by making the story seem worse than it is and telling anyone how you're just a Cold Dude.

If you don't say something, here's what could go right: the problem might take care of itself and you incur no risk. Here's what could go wrong: the additional 1.5 lines of text the margin reduction allowed (generous estimate) revealed such analytic brilliance that the professor cannot help but poo poo an A on the page, squeezing you, me and your honest friends back into the other lowly grade brackets.

Point being is this - if we were members of the profession operating in a universe where poo poo that mattered was at stake I'd definitely be giving you the opposite advice. The only thing at stake here is 1.5 lines of horseshit about formalist versus realist law interpretation methods. This quite literally is not worth your time.

In conclusion, just let it go.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
write an email to the dean cc: allstudents, dude. it'll be cathartic and is the best scenario for everyone

Phil Moscowitz fucked around with this message at 14:14 on May 10, 2010

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
I look forward to reading it on ATL

Maybe some senior partner at an awesome firm will be so impressed with your argumentative reasoning when they get the fwd:fwd:FW they will offer you a job

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

SlyFrog posted:

I just had a serious internal debate whether to go home for dinner (and then try to work from home later tonight) or just stay at the office and keep grinding away.

Being a partner is nice because you are allowed to have this debate. Being a partner is not nice because you are locked into having this debate for the rest of your life.

When the ship sinks, they throw the cargo over first to save the crew. (not to be a dick or anything)

FYI, the crew is the equity partners. I don't know that this should change anyone's decision about what kind of work they're trying to do but I think it's important to be informed. At firms equity partners are all that matter. If you are at a firm that has a lockstep partnership then look at your firm's leverage and then think seriously about whether or not you're going to make equity partner. it is ok, you are a unique and beautiful snow flake

Alaemon
Jan 4, 2009

Proctors are guardians of the sanctity and integrity of legal education, therefore they are responsible for the nourishment of the soul.
Snitches earn riches.

srsly
Aug 1, 2003

stingray1381 posted:

Not trying to be a dick, but I would love to see some actual job postings that reflect these numbers. The DA and PD numbers you note are particularly unbelieveable.

At my PD office, starting is $83k. DA is the same, of course.

I was surprised when I heard, too.

srsly fucked around with this message at 15:23 on May 10, 2010

prussian advisor
Jan 15, 2007

The day you see a camera come into our courtroom, its going to roll over my dead body.

mrtoodles posted:

At my PD office, starting is $83k. DA is the same, of course.

Uhh, where is this? California also?

srsly
Aug 1, 2003

prussian advisor posted:

Uhh, where is this? California also?

Yeah. Although nm says it's even higher now. I dunno about that. It's still a bunch of money for a pretty damned fun job. I am 3-0 in my last three trials. :smug:

billion dollar bitch
Jul 20, 2005

To drink and fight.
To fuck all night.

Feces Starship posted:

:words:

Jesus Christ, I said I wasn't going to say anything, about five posts ago.

billion dollar bitch fucked around with this message at 15:51 on May 10, 2010

quepasa18
Oct 13, 2005

Avalanche posted:

I teach paralegal classes so I have some insight into this. It is definitely generally true that you don't need a paralegal degree to get a job in a law firm. A lot of firms prefer this and want to train people in the way they like doing things. However, some firms prefer people with a paralegal education because they don't want to have to train. It really varies based on where you are. But regardless, the degree/certificate isn't worthless. There's some distinction between programs that are ABA approved and those that aren't, but again, how much that matters depends on where you are. Where I am, employers like that; in some places it doesn't matter at all.

Additionally, if you already have a BA, it's only a 1-year program (if you go full time) to get a post-bacc certificate. It is my experience that these graduates have a pretty decent shot at getting jobs. The 2-year associate degree students have it tougher. You can't get financial aid for the certificate though, if that matters.

At any rate, if you don't want to be a lawyer but want to work at a law firm, this is a good route. However, the experience depends entirely on where you end up because you are at the mercy of the attorney you work for and the type of work you do. Just like with attorneys, litigation paralegals will work long hours when a trial is looming, whereas transactional paralegals don't have as much of that.

_areaman
Oct 28, 2009

How does this work? Everyone's tests are different/rearranged, so copying off a bubble sheet won't do any good. I personally cheated by going back to previous sections when I had extra time, and used a mechanical pencil instead of a #2 wooden pencil, but copying would never work.

billion dollar bitch
Jul 20, 2005

To drink and fight.
To fuck all night.
I don't know the actual mechanism (whether she looked at the scantron, or maybe the kid next to her circled his answers on his workbook?), but she 1) told my friend she had cheated and 2) jumped from sub-150 to over 160.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

_areaman posted:

How does this work? Everyone's tests are different/rearranged, so copying off a bubble sheet won't do any good. I personally cheated by going back to previous sections when I had extra time, and used a mechanical pencil instead of a #2 wooden pencil, but copying would never work.

maybe that's why she only got into American :v:

But no, from what I remember there's only three different versions of the exam so there's a 56.44% chance (1-.66^2) she could copy off one of the two people she sat next to.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls

Defleshed posted:

Is anything we say really going to convince you *not* to go?

I went to Loyola Chicago, almost exactly the same USNWR rank as Rutgers and in probably the second or third largest legal market in the country. Like Rutgers, Loyola has been called a "strong regional school".

I was just sworn in to practice law on Thursday. At the swearing in, I saw about a half-dozen classmates; winter grads, February bar exam, so a small sample size, to be sure. Still, not a single one of them, myself included, has secured legal employment. I got lucky as gently caress and was selected for JAG, but that doesn't start for nearly a year and certainly isn't a career path most have in mind when considering law school.

I just looked at my Facebook for reference. I have ~40 Facebook friends that are law school classmates, class of '09 or '10. Of those, 4 have jobs at medium-large law firms, one is a PD in California, one lucked into Doc Review temp work, 2 are current/future JAG, 1 works as a paralegal in the firm that swore up and down they'd make her an attorney when she finished law school and passed the bar. EVERY SINGLE OTHER PERSON is unemployed or working in some job completely unrelated to law including (but not necessarily limited to) Clerk at Whole Foods, Bartender (2), Landscaper, and "Sales". Nothing wrong with those jobs at all, as long as you haven't wasted three years of your life and several dozen G's to get there.

I know how you feel, I was you in Spring 2006. Elated that a few of the schools I had chosen accepted me, weighing my options, figuring out who would give me the most bang for my buck, who was more "prestigious". It was an exciting time. But the advice I'm giving you now applied to me then as well and at least then I had the economy in my favor. Don't go unless the whole thing is paid for, or you're going to be sorry. I can virtually guarantee it.

e: And for the record, nobody is going to pay you to do "environmental law", except huge corporations might if you help them destroy it. But then again they usually only want people who've done a few years at a Vault firm and have a decent pedigree. Rutgers is not that pedigree. You'll be hustling outside the courtroom for misdemeanor defense and slip-and-falls, and that's IF you have the brass balls and the malpractice insurance to get out there on your own.

Hey, sorry I'm bumping from like two pages ago but a couple people responded and I never got back

Thanks for this post, it was really informative and terribly depressing. :(

And yes guys, I am certainly not 100% deadset on lawschool. My good friend has basically been trying to talk me out of it since day 1, but said at the very least if I really wanna give it a try I should take the LSATs, apply and reassess when I get responses (basically where I am now)

I've been working full time for six years almost, so I'm basically trying to get a better job (journalism). Not totally grasping at straws yet! I was always moderately interested in law, and figured I'd give it a try. I just don't have much of an interest in grad school and that's really the only other option besides law for a stupid poo poo English degree.

So yeah, unless I get some kind of crazy offer from Rutgers, I'm probably not going.

The only other question I ask is how much does the date that you send your app affect the scholarship offers you receive?? I got a 160 on the lsat. My gpa is a 2.8, but it's low only because I basically pissed away a year and a half of undergrad and dropped out. I was something like a 3.3 when I re-entered, and I worked full time for four years in college with lots of community service poo poo too. Provided that I don't get any $ this year, is it worth applying very early next year to see if I get a ride, or not worth the time??

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

For t2 colleges, which live and die by their US News ranking alone, however USNews calculates your GPA is what they'll look at. Why it's that way doesn't matter to the school because it doesn't matter to USNews.

HooKars
Feb 22, 2006
Comeon!

quepasa18 posted:

Just like with attorneys, litigation paralegals will work long hours when a trial is looming, whereas transactional paralegals don't have as much of that.

It may depend on where you're located, but our transactional lawyers and paralegals worked long hours during closings.

7StoryFall
Nov 16, 2003
Anyone know someone looking to sublet in NYC from June 1 to early August?

quepasa18
Oct 13, 2005

HooKars posted:

It may depend on where you're located, but our transactional lawyers and paralegals worked long hours during closings.

Yes, definitely true.

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM

THE MACHO MAN posted:

I've been working full time for six years almost, so I'm basically trying to get a better job (journalism). Not totally grasping at straws yet! I was always moderately interested in law, and figured I'd give it a try. I just don't have much of an interest in grad school and that's really the only other option besides law for a stupid poo poo English degree.

So yeah, unless I get some kind of crazy offer from Rutgers, I'm probably not going.

So basically your only reasons for going to law school are "to get a better job" and "my undergrad is poo poo".

Hahaha, you basically ARE me. I'm not trying to be a dick, but you should not go to law school.

Here, read this little tidbit from the organization that's helped orchestrate the downfall and is only now jumping on board years too late:
http://www.abajournal.com/news/article/as_troubling_indicators_mount_for_2010_law_grads_an_aba_expert_issues_a_war

If the field you are in now depresses or bores you, imagine spending huge amounts of money and 3 years of your life to earn a specialized degree and then be completely locked out of that specialized profession. Once you earn that JD, you can't even go back to your old life because the general public are blathering morons who assume that a JD is a golden ticket. That means nobody will give you a job doing what you used to do, because you have a JD. Since you have a JD and are applying for a non-legal job, you either must be so incompetent that you were unable to secure one of the six-figure jobs falling from the trees for all law school grads, or you're merely waiting for the RIGHT six-figure job to fall into your lap and you will leave them in a lurch. You may think your professional life sucks right now but at least you have a job, and Sallie Mae isn't beating down your door.

To top that off, say all your wildest dreams come true and Rutgers shoots to #1 in the rankings and you're offered a cushy associate job at the whitest white-shoe firm in NYC. Well say hello to 80 hour work weeks, sleeping at the office, lusting after the 40-something paralegal with the limp, alcoholism, and a slow descent into depression and social isolation. Yeah, the brass ring of our profession is hardly a prize worth working toward. Of course I generalize and there are certainly happy well-adjusted people who are partners at law firms. I've just never met one.

I know those aren't the answers or encouragement you are looking for, but it is the truth. You should listen to your friend who is trying to talk you out of it. She has some sense. I don't know *what* the answer to dissatisfaction with your chosen career and a relatively worthless undergraduate degree is, try taking up metal-detecting or parasailing or bear wrestling... but for God's sake do not go to law school.

Defleshed fucked around with this message at 20:03 on May 10, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender

evilweasel posted:

maybe that's why she only got into American :v:

But no, from what I remember there's only three different versions of the exam so there's a 56.44% chance (1-.66^2) she could copy off one of the two people she sat next to.

Hate you.

It's true, WCL sucks.