Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blakkout
Aug 24, 2006

No thought was put into this.
The only thing better than celebrating the end of the year with finals, is celebrating the end of finals with a two week journal petition. I think this is "soul crushing" to a T.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blakkout
Aug 24, 2006

I'm one petition away from being a 2L. It's so close I can taste it.

Blakkout
Aug 24, 2006

Finally finished that drat petition. My year is officially over. Jesus, you guys weren't kidding... that was hell. I hope to god it somehow gets better next year.

Blakkout
Aug 24, 2006

Wow, Law Review is going to be a huge pain in the rear end, isn't it? I spent the entire day realizing how much I don't know about the law library and searching for books for a cite check... and this is only the first issue. Christ.

Blakkout
Aug 24, 2006

Holland Oats posted:

I'm a CLS 1L.

I'm citechecking a LR article by some Colombia prof named Steinitz right now. I don't know who's worse with footnotes: her, or her R.A.s. This is seriously torture.

Blakkout
Aug 24, 2006

Holland Oats posted:

I'm using a casebook written by Bonnie, Coughlin, Jeffries and Low but I'll look into Dressler.

I'm going to echo the Dressler sentiment as well. That book was the only thing that saved me for the final.

Blakkout
Aug 24, 2006

BigHead posted:

Frase, god I hated that son of a bitch.

And agreed. Plus, any bar study material (Convisor's mini review) gives you a very short and very accurate summary of anything you need to learn better than any horn book.

I had Frase as well. Favorite part of class was the marijuana question on his final exam. Frase was an awful teacher with those loving powerpoints, but like I said earlier, if you read the Dressler, it's hard to not get an A.

Lilosh posted:

Why can't this be as straightforward as torts was? :smithicide:

I don't know who you had for torts, but I think you're psyching yourself out of this test a little prematurely. I thought Crim. Law with Frase was one of the easier tests I took as a 1L. If you have specific questions, or want further advice, shoot me a PM. I'd be happy to meet with you in person as well, though I might make you buy me a Tall Boy at Preston's if that's the case.

Blakkout fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Mar 1, 2011

Blakkout
Aug 24, 2006

It took me this long to figure out where this thread went. Just finished my note for Law Review. Time for lots and lots of sleep.

Blakkout
Aug 24, 2006

Linguica posted:

Jesus Christ, Columbia has 14 journals

alright, time for a T14 (student-run) journal count

Harvard: 17
Columbia: 14
Berkeley: 12
GULC: 11
Virginia: 10
Yale: 9
Stanford: 9
Duke: 9
NYU: 8
Michigan: 6
Northwestern: 6
Penn: 5
Cornell: 4
Chicago: 3

Some of these journals must only publish annually and consist of like 5 people. That or every single person in the 2L class is staffing on one of them. I mean, 17 journals? That's so many.

Blakkout
Aug 24, 2006

Red Bean Juice posted:

Harvard has a class of 550

It all makes sense now.

Holland Oats posted:

Should I do a Child and Adolescent Advocacy Clinic during my 2L year instead of doing a journal? Or do I have to do them both?

Why can't you do both? I feel like that's pretty common at my school.

Blakkout
Aug 24, 2006

molomoloch posted:

I have to make a decision: Georgetown or Michigan.

Georgetown is 1,000 a year cheaper than Michigan. (I'm getting 15k a year from Michigan out of state, and 17500 a year from Georgetown.)

I like DC and am neutral Ann Arbor. Decide my fate!

Is this a real question? Michigan.

Blakkout
Aug 24, 2006

Any law goons in Chicago know someone who's leaving for the summer, and might be looking for a sublettor? I would need it from about June 1 to August 15th or so. I'd prefer to be downtown, but any place that's close to public transportation that can get me downtown would also be acceptable.

Blakkout
Aug 24, 2006

Clerkship Question: Does anyone know where I can find a list of individual state/federal courts with how many people apply to each? I'm sure this information's not available for some of the more obscure lower courts, but there's got to be numbers out there somewhere for federal courts and some of the more popular state courts.

Blakkout
Aug 24, 2006

Lilosh posted:

It's melting my brain. And I haven't even looked at the footnotes yet.

That means it"s "working." Every citation I put in our petition packet was intended to inflict severe emotional distress. They know no one really writes like that, they just want to see who can deal with it. Trust me, some people can't.

Blakkout fucked around with this message at 18:49 on May 25, 2011

Blakkout
Aug 24, 2006

srsly posted:

After first semester I would routinely walk out of class when it was "over." Even if I had nowhere to be. Even if it were the professor talking. It made me feel empowered.

This. Except if a prof I actually liked were still speaking. Also, I pride myself on being the only jerk in a class of 100 who's willing to call other students out for keeping us late. It's usually more effective when you yell at them in front of a large group of people. My law school reminds me of my high school.

E: I also have to echo what everone else is saying about grades. I'm a rising 3L. Each semester, once finals roll around, I invariably find myself more worried than I was last semester because of my diminishing effort. My GPA has increased every single time. In fact, my very first semester, I studied my rear end off and got the worst grades I've even gotten in my life. The very worst was on the test I thought I did the best on (Civ. Pro.), not to be confused with the test I thought I bombed (Con. Law I). Got the only A+ of my law school career on that puppy. You just can't make this stuff up.

Blakkout fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Jun 8, 2011

Blakkout
Aug 24, 2006

Sulecrist posted:

when should I start applying to 2L summer jobs?

What kind of job are you looking for?

Blakkout
Aug 24, 2006

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Apply to a range of T1 schools in cities where you would like to live and practice, plus all of the T15, and see what happens?

This seems to be the best option to me.

Holland Oats posted:

Does anyone know of any government offices or nonprofits that give job offers to their 2L summer interns? I know that the New York City Law Department does but that's the only one I've heard.

Some jobs for the Feds do, but not many. See if you can get access to that U of A handbook with all the listings. Also, if you do end up applying for some of those those, it's not a bad idea to get started now.

Edit:

commish posted:

Yeah, seriously. "Hi, I didn't apply to any schools. Should I go to Columbia and pay sticker or GW and pay 1/4th? Thanks." :p

Why would you delete the second half? That was the most insightful part.

Blakkout fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Jun 29, 2011

Blakkout
Aug 24, 2006

Just finished grading my share of the Law Review petitions. I hope the other editors read them more carefully than I did.

Blakkout
Aug 24, 2006

scribe jones posted:

got a fb friend agonizing about which schools to apply to for "sports law." hope I die, or he dies, or both

Had a buddy who was asking me about this too. He ended up deciding Tulane had the strongest program for it. Sounds about right, right?

Blakkout
Aug 24, 2006

HooKars posted:

So I gave my two weeks notice today. I am officially not a practicing attorney anymore and am returning to my pre-law school career of paralegal.

My starting salary is $80,000, there are no billables and the hours are supposedly fairly regular though I guess we will see. I'm pretty content at the moment.

Congrats.

Blakkout
Aug 24, 2006

So many good ways to close letters in the last page of this thread. I love it. I've always used "Sincerely," and never thought twice. My bad.

Blakkout
Aug 24, 2006

I just mailed out 98 clerkship applications this morning. The people at the post office in the Loop hate me, and I'm $125 further in debt. Here's to hoping someone calls me back. Are most of the judges who accept applications via OSCAR pretty flooded with apps? I'm trying to decide if it's even worth my time.

Blakkout fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Jul 21, 2011

Blakkout
Aug 24, 2006

I'm literally amazing at how fast some of these judges can send out rejections. I didn't even think they'd look at paper apps until after the OSCAR deadline or whatever.

Blakkout
Aug 24, 2006

Yeah, that's in pretty bad taste. The title alone is awful.

Blakkout
Aug 24, 2006

Anyone have a good recommendation for an MPRE study book? I don't think I'm throwing down for the BarBri class.

Blakkout
Aug 24, 2006

Roger_Mudd posted:

It's free....

No way. I just assumed they were going to try to steal a few hundred bucks from me.

Blakkout
Aug 24, 2006

Roger_Mudd posted:

Godspeed! Study but pretend you didn't so you can hang out with the forum cool kids.
My trick was saying to myself before every answer "Now I may just be a simple country lawyer but it seems to me that.." and then selected the answer that sounded best.

I was done in 45 minutes and scored way over passing.

Looks like it's lumped in with BarBri's actual Bar Review course. I have to put down a $250 deposit in order to enroll in the MPRE course. Anyone have any book recommendations? I guess I'm going to have to cough up this Bar Review money at some point anyway...

intensive purposes posted:

If you want a video course, but don't want to pay for BarBri, I think Themis is still free. I know several people who used that. I used it myself (just watched the videos the night before and did some practice questions), and did fine.

Alright, signed up for Themis. Thanks. Wonder if that terrible PR class I took last year will actually help me on this? Doubt it.

Blakkout fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Sep 8, 2011

Blakkout
Aug 24, 2006

Lilosh posted:

gently caress journal work.

Why did I even sign up for this?

Just be happy your journal doesn't publish six issues a year.

Blakkout
Aug 24, 2006

gently caress. Or 8.

Blakkout
Aug 24, 2006

Feces Starship posted:

mpre study advice - go

I don't know about "advice," but everyone at my school who's taking the test is: (1) going over an official study outline from BarBri, Themis, etc.; and (2) taking one(ish) practice test and reviewing the answers they got wrong. Grand total of about 8-12 hours, depending. I'll let you know how it works out.

Edit: I guess I should note we've all taken PR... whatever that counts for.

Blakkout
Aug 24, 2006

Soothing Vapors posted:

2.) try not to be too hungover

evilweasel posted:

try not to get overly drunk the night before the test

I'm sensing a theme here.

Blakkout
Aug 24, 2006

Finally got a call about a clerkship interview... for the Supreme Court of Montana. Is this what my life has come to?

Blakkout
Aug 24, 2006

I've been pretending to be a real law student for about two and a half year now.

Blakkout
Aug 24, 2006

I really hope the MPRE is as easy as everyone says it is. I've done absolutely nothing, aside from reading through a commercial outline once.

Blakkout
Aug 24, 2006

MPRE seemed a little rough. There were very few questions I was 100% positive on. Lots of indecision between two close answers. Oh well. Doesn't seem like I really risked anything meaningful by not preparing.

Blakkout fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Nov 5, 2011

Blakkout
Aug 24, 2006

Tetrix posted:

Although I do remember from the BarBri guide that it was the P and I clause that prohibits residency as a requirement for taking the bar in a state.

I got that one wrong. gently caress that con. law stuff, that was ridiculous.

Blakkout
Aug 24, 2006

Why does he have to resign?

Blakkout
Aug 24, 2006

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Be a loving dentist. Even idiots can do it, the hours are a joke, the pay is insane, and the only drawback is you have to look in people's disgusting mouths all day.

My little sister took this route. It's been nothing short of embarrassing for me to think about where our careers are going.

Blakkout
Aug 24, 2006

Anyone have a decent Corporate Tax outline they'd be willing to share? I'm usually pretty self-sufficient, but these Section 355 corporate divisions are killing me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blakkout
Aug 24, 2006

HiddenReplaced posted:

...I know this isn't IRC but...pics?

Yeah, this story means nothing without photos.