Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MoFauxHawk
Jan 1, 2007

Mickey Mouse copyright
Walt Gisnep

Defenestration posted:

You could technically combine boobs and food but...yick

I have nothing substantive to add

Are you suggesting he put cheese on his burrito?!

Cheese on burritos is great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MoFauxHawk
Jan 1, 2007

Mickey Mouse copyright
Walt Gisnep

Save me jeebus posted:

Recap of my week: Boss had his hand on my rear end the entire Christmas Party, told me to drink more and not to worry if I got pulled over because he'd represent me for free.

gently caress this gay earth.

Well the solution here's pretty obvious, you should move to GamingHyena's firm.

Edit: I meant the solution for GamingHyena's problem

MoFauxHawk
Jan 1, 2007

Mickey Mouse copyright
Walt Gisnep
If my parents paid 15-20k a year to send me to private school and then told me at the end of it that they decided it was a better investment than saving for college, I would probably tell them to go gently caress themselves.

MoFauxHawk
Jan 1, 2007

Mickey Mouse copyright
Walt Gisnep

Defleshed posted:

A gutsy move. Will it work? (no)

I can tell by the tone of the "release" and the picture that she is one of those people with very average capabilities who nevertheless think extremely highly of themselves.

You mean the vast majority of people in the US?

MoFauxHawk
Jan 1, 2007

Mickey Mouse copyright
Walt Gisnep

BlueBayou posted:

Cause saying Cambridge is a downside to HLS is laughable.

Yeah, I'd rather live in Cambridge than Charlottesville, Durham, New Haven, Ithaca, Ann Arbor, Philadelphia, and maybe some of the other T14 locations. And like you said, saying there's no good food or stuff to do in Cambridge is like saying there's no good food or stuff in Arlington, VA. You're living in a pretty convenient annex of a major city.

MoFauxHawk
Jan 1, 2007

Mickey Mouse copyright
Walt Gisnep

Direwolf posted:

Northwestern University School of Law is a lovely place full of lovely, nice people. How could you go wrong with garish purple colors splashed onto every available surface? And nothing makes you feel better about yourself than realizing that not only does U Chicago make any other law school in the area seem full of cool, normal, social people, but people in Chicago have no idea that UChicago's a good school, never mind the better of the two. People are noncompetitive and chill, professors are friendly and approachable, and at least it's not U Chicago.

Chicago itself is I think dependent on your background. My city experiences are New York, LA, Beijing, Cairo, Shenzhen, and Hong Kong so to me Chicago is a quaint little city with a nice lake next to it and not enough people to justify the use of space. They also don't know how to make real pizza that tastes halfway decent or what soda is called (hint: doesn't rhyme with stop, as in STOP CALLING IT POP). If you go to the wrong part of the city you will be shot by gangs and if you go to the right part of the city, well, congrats, that's where Northwestern is anyways! All kidding aside Chicago is a nice town with a good amount of decent food and entertainment, and thanks to the Upass all public transportation is free if you're a grad student there.

Oh and Chicago is indeed cold but it's nothing atrocious. People from here like to talk about how awful it is, though.

Plus the law school and the med school have their own campus and from what I hear, the students of both schools interact reasonably often, so you've got a shot at latching onto a doctor.

MoFauxHawk
Jan 1, 2007

Mickey Mouse copyright
Walt Gisnep
The worst thing about going to Northwestern is explaining to people on the East Coast that your school is in Chicago, not Boston, and being ashamed to be associated with Ainsley's school.

MoFauxHawk
Jan 1, 2007

Mickey Mouse copyright
Walt Gisnep

atlas of bugs posted:

I had no idea you ended up going to Northwestern. Congratulations, man.

Trying the Chicago -> senate -> POTUS route?

Thank you! I'm not actually going yet because they're making me wait a year. And the jury's still out on whether I'm going at all because I realized a while ago that I don't want to be a lawyer. Also I was thinking more that I would try the Jewish male Oprah route.

MoFauxHawk
Jan 1, 2007

Mickey Mouse copyright
Walt Gisnep

Soothing Vapors posted:

Stuff

You got your Jemina avatar back! Haaaaaave you listened to her solo album? It's good. Michigan rejected me, by the way, gently caress all you fat nerds.

MoFauxHawk
Jan 1, 2007

Mickey Mouse copyright
Walt Gisnep

Petey posted:

So...don't go to law school?

Yeah but are you just saying that to people who aren't me or does it apply to my very specific, unique goals too?? Like settling for a government job, for example. I don't need to make Biglaw money! 100k+ and a 40 hour work week are enough to satisfy me, as hard as that may be to believe.

MoFauxHawk fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Jan 2, 2011

MoFauxHawk
Jan 1, 2007

Mickey Mouse copyright
Walt Gisnep

billion dollar bitch posted:

I have one of those. gently caress.

I have three :smugdog:, since I could work at my dad's union-side labor/pension firm in DC, and maybe become an ERISA guru like he is. I'm still kind of amazed that as desperate as lawgoons are, not one has seriously asked me to show him a resume or something. You guys are dopes.

But I have a pretty serious anti-reason, which is that I don't want to be a lawyer, so we'll see if I actually go in the fall.

MoFauxHawk
Jan 1, 2007

Mickey Mouse copyright
Walt Gisnep

Lemonus posted:

Are there any particular law school scam blogs that are considered the leaders/the most updated etc/ that some gentleman could link me to

Google produces mixed results

http://killallthelawyers.ws/blog/

MoFauxHawk
Jan 1, 2007

Mickey Mouse copyright
Walt Gisnep

commish posted:

Those schools without "normal" grading systems cause the most headaches. Why do they insist on being different!

You mean all of them? No two schools are going to have the exact same grades equal the exact same percentile of the class, even if they do happen to have the same curve.

MoFauxHawk
Jan 1, 2007

Mickey Mouse copyright
Walt Gisnep

commish posted:

No poo poo. I was talking about schools that use pass/high pass/whatever, Chicago's system, etc.

Yeah, but you nebulize most of the class anyway so I don't get why you care.

Edit: You should be more angry at/thrown off by the reality that some schools have 3.3 curves and some have 2.5 curves.

MoFauxHawk fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Jan 13, 2011

MoFauxHawk
Jan 1, 2007

Mickey Mouse copyright
Walt Gisnep

entris posted:

Vests, on the other hand, make you look like a cool motherfucker.

Sure, as long as you're not a dorky goon, or even an average schlub. You'd better have your poo poo together if you're wearing these.

MoFauxHawk
Jan 1, 2007

Mickey Mouse copyright
Walt Gisnep

billion dollar bitch posted:

Tonight, I failed to convince an undergrad that she shouldn't go to law school. What do you say to, "I majored in Creative Writing; what am I supposed to do?"

"Look for a job in one of the many fields that just require a generic bachelor's degree like lots of other humanities and social science majors do."

MoFauxHawk
Jan 1, 2007

Mickey Mouse copyright
Walt Gisnep

Napoleon I posted:

Using Mr. and Esq. at the same time is a serious faux pas.

I was under the impression that you're also not even supposed to refer to yourself as esquire, ever. It's only for referring to other people.

MoFauxHawk
Jan 1, 2007

Mickey Mouse copyright
Walt Gisnep
I don't think she was actually complaining about having to work the whole summer. I think she was just saying that it would be a downside compared to the work term of option one. That seems pretty reasonable to me.

MoFauxHawk
Jan 1, 2007

Mickey Mouse copyright
Walt Gisnep

quepasa18 posted:

How much do you value your gym time and rugby?

On the other hand, how much do you value your ACL's and menisci? Maybe if I'd been busier during college I wouldn't have dead people in both my knees.

MoFauxHawk
Jan 1, 2007

Mickey Mouse copyright
Walt Gisnep

evilweasel posted:

Any kid is going to have a much much easier life without student loans than with (see: this thread). There's not really any learning that goes on from getting them.

Uh no you get to learn what it's like to be forced to make a major financial decision with damning repercussions when you're seventeen so that the next time that exact situation happens you'll be in better shape.

MoFauxHawk fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Feb 4, 2011

MoFauxHawk
Jan 1, 2007

Mickey Mouse copyright
Walt Gisnep

prussian advisor posted:

These are the best kinds of dogs so don't second-guess yourself for a minute.

Also the parking meters you were talking about, what do they take?

Credit cards, obviously!

MoFauxHawk
Jan 1, 2007

Mickey Mouse copyright
Walt Gisnep

sigmachiev posted:

When does Law Revue heat up? Anyone want to do a goon-based one? It could be cool to collab across campuses and submit something.

Yeah, goons and Law Revue are both pretty drat cool. Especially if they do a wacky hip hop parody.

MoFauxHawk
Jan 1, 2007

Mickey Mouse copyright
Walt Gisnep

sigmachiev posted:

Jesus. It's not like I want to do it on the subject of goons. We have some funny people who come here who might be down.

E. Meh MFH you know you're my boy so why break my balls is all. Anyway, if someone wants to bounce ideas around hit me up.

Sorry, I wasn't trying to break your balls, was just being silly. :(

MoFauxHawk fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Feb 10, 2011

MoFauxHawk
Jan 1, 2007

Mickey Mouse copyright
Walt Gisnep

nm posted:

I have horrible non-confirmed news (source: former Managing Partner of larger CA lawfirm)
University of Phoenix is planning to open a law school. I have no other details.

T5 law school?

Depending on what internet connection you use, it could be a T1 school.

MoFauxHawk
Jan 1, 2007

Mickey Mouse copyright
Walt Gisnep

Petey posted:

Sarah Palin trademark stuff

I hope my Santorum-2012.com domain is still okay. And the 50+ other Republican presidential campaign domain names I bought a while ago to try to make an honest bottom feeder buck. Just kidding, I'm fine.

MoFauxHawk fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Feb 15, 2011

MoFauxHawk
Jan 1, 2007

Mickey Mouse copyright
Walt Gisnep

HiddenReplaced posted:

To further highlight WJ/Obamwitz's insanity, I would like to highlight the fact that he actually makes more than HooKars.

Yeah and per hour he probably makes around 75% more.

MoFauxHawk
Jan 1, 2007

Mickey Mouse copyright
Walt Gisnep

HooKars posted:

Karat
Karaoke

When you look at spelling pronunciations for a word like "Carat" - they'll tell you its kar-uht vs. the pronunciation for "Car" which is "Kahr."

That still doesn't fit. The A following the consonant makes the first A long. That's how English generally works.

MoFauxHawk
Jan 1, 2007

Mickey Mouse copyright
Walt Gisnep

Enigma89 posted:

I am graduating from UC Santa Cruz in a few weeks and I already applied to law school. I am not going to get into a top law school, so I have been thinking of maybe going to Europe and getting a basically free Masters degree. I already spent a year abroad in Germany and I liked it there. I think with a masters degree I can reapply to law school at a later date and probably get into a better law school.

I think it may not be a bad life choice. It comes down to this:

PROS
-Get a masters (For free!)
-Use the masters to get into a better law school.

CONS
-Spend 2 years away from home (Don't really mind this)
-Get a masters which I don't really want.

Ughhhhhh good job ignoring something I thought this thread makes very clear. The boost from the extra degree will be minuscule and only help you against people with numbers very close to yours at schools at which you were already borderline. The only thing you can do to significantly help you get into a better law school besides maybe joining the military, joining the Peace Corps, or accomplishing something unusually significant, is seriously preparing to take the LSAT again and doing better on it.

MoFauxHawk
Jan 1, 2007

Mickey Mouse copyright
Walt Gisnep
Yeah, the OP probably should make it clearer that it's only your undergrad GPA that counts.

MoFauxHawk
Jan 1, 2007

Mickey Mouse copyright
Walt Gisnep

Lancelot posted:

In New Zealand, you can pretty much get a job in a big law firm no matter where you study, though obviously the more prestigious universities give you a better shot. Part of the reason, I think, is that there are much fewer law schools per capita in NZ than in the US, so law school prestige counts for much less and grades and connections for much more.

If all six law schools listed on Wikipedia are legit, then this isn't true. New Zealand has a bit over four million people while the United States has 308 million.

MoFauxHawk
Jan 1, 2007

Mickey Mouse copyright
Walt Gisnep
We're not a third world country, we're just the only first world country that allows so much poverty and inequality to exist and where your average person is one major health or property-related misfortune away from being in deep poo poo. But calling us a third world country is silly, I agree.

Edit: But in really bad inner-city neighborhoods and really poor rural areas, especially places in the US that still don't have running water, there really is no place to compare them to but the third world. Not Sub-Saharan Africa, but maybe Latin America and Asia.

MoFauxHawk fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Feb 19, 2011

MoFauxHawk
Jan 1, 2007

Mickey Mouse copyright
Walt Gisnep

Former Everything posted:

This may be a derail for the Law Journal/Order of the Coif folks in this thread, but I think legal academia is terrible and didn't want to participate.

I think this is true of most people on law journals though.

MoFauxHawk
Jan 1, 2007

Mickey Mouse copyright
Walt Gisnep
If any London lawgoons want to meet up for a drink or something over the next eight or so days, send me a pm or email me at jesus green at gmail.com. Doesn't matter if we've never spoken or if you're generally a lurker.

MoFauxHawk
Jan 1, 2007

Mickey Mouse copyright
Walt Gisnep

Linguica posted:

Yeah I find it interesting that the only top schools to see an increase from last year are Chicago, Penn, Cornell, Harvard, and Columbia (Yale probably did too, but that's another echelon entirely).

Moral of the story is that whatever small rebound in hiring there may have been has been basically filled up by employers deciding they might as well just hire Ivy Leaguers to the exclusion of anyone else. Rich get richer etc

I thought the people who graduated in '10 were supposed to be the hardest hit though, or maybe both '09 and '10. Was that just '09 instead?

MoFauxHawk
Jan 1, 2007

Mickey Mouse copyright
Walt Gisnep

i81icu812 posted:

Huh, this thread and the engineering one and a few of the others got moved, but the library science one and the foreign service one are still in A/T.

If anything, shouldn't this thread stay in A/T since there are no jobs?

Wow, thank you so much for mentioning that there's a library science thread. Now I have a way to convince my sister not to get that master's without her hating me.

Also good job making the same obvious joke that two other people have already made.

MoFauxHawk
Jan 1, 2007

Mickey Mouse copyright
Walt Gisnep

SlyFrog posted:

You can't have copywriter. That's my current dream/obsession job/way out that I know I'll never go do.

Try starting out as a temp. I hear if you're loyal and do a good job, they'll hire you as a copywriter even if your credentials aren't up to par.

Edit: drat it, semi-beaten by Ainsley talking about his job

MoFauxHawk fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Mar 6, 2011

MoFauxHawk
Jan 1, 2007

Mickey Mouse copyright
Walt Gisnep

Ainsley McTree posted:

I'm not sure if you were referring to me or making a reference to the paralegal-to-lawyer talk above but this is word-for-word description of how I got my job

Both. The point was to put Slyfrog in the hopeful paralegal's kind of position in order to get his dream job using the example of the guy in the thread who has that job. WAY TO MAKE ME EXPLAIN

MoFauxHawk
Jan 1, 2007

Mickey Mouse copyright
Walt Gisnep
Did you actually get a full ride to Chicago? At least before this year, Chicago was one of the T14's that simply doesn't give full rides. I think T6 full ride beats H and S. Lower T14 full ride vs. H or S is a tougher choice and depends a lot on your personal goals. But if you can scrounge up a way to pay for living expenses and come out of a top law school with no debt, that's a pretty huge load off your back.

Also unless somebody says "full ride + living expenses/stipend" you can assume they mean a full tuition ride, because that's what a full scholarship is. Full scholarships with stipends at the T14 are absurdly rare, if they even happen.

I would still easily take Yale over anything except Columbia full ride, and even then I'd probably take Yale.

Edit: But if you pick Harvard or Stanford over a T6 full ride, I don't think it's a bad choice. I don't think you're going wrong either way.

MoFauxHawk fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Mar 8, 2011

MoFauxHawk
Jan 1, 2007

Mickey Mouse copyright
Walt Gisnep

MoFauxHawk posted:

Did you actually get a full ride to Chicago? At least before this year, Chicago was one of the T14's that simply doesn't give full rides.

Well holy poo poo.

http://www.law.uchicago.edu/node/3762

"The Law School is very excited about the David M. Rubenstein Scholars Program, established with a gift to the University for the Law School to fund 60 full-tuition scholarships over three years. These scholarships are predominantly merit-based and will be awarded beginning with the Class of 2014 starting in fall 2011."

20 free full rides per year will help Chicago's numbers a bit. Congrats on getting one of them if you did.

Edit: Also this could be you!

"David M. Rubenstein, '73, made his generous $10 million gift to the Law School for two reasons: to help the Law School compete for the very best students and to provide worthy law students the kind of financial head start he also was given. Rubenstein attended the Law School on a full-tuition scholarship, which lifted the burden of paying for law school from his parents and enabled him to follow a nontraditional career path after graduation. As a result, he built the experience and connections that led to him becoming one of the most successful businessmen in the United States. He is the founder of The Carlyle Group, one of the world's largest private equity firms, and is an influential philanthropist, spreading his wealth in ways that have tremendous immediate impact. Rubenstein's gift will change the lives of dozens of law students and will raise the Law School's stature among its peer institutions, a benefit to the entire Law School community."

MoFauxHawk fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Mar 8, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MoFauxHawk
Jan 1, 2007

Mickey Mouse copyright
Walt Gisnep

Direwolf posted:

So I have an interview tomorrow morning for a human rights job... which if I don't get, I will default to my international human rights job...:smug: check and mate, law school thread, check and mate.

And not only that, but I get some real life lawyerin' to do right now!! My roommate skipped town and skipped out on the rent, so I get to represent myself in small claims court!!!:allears: He did drop out of law school fast enough to get a refund on his loans, though. So on some cosmic level he's already won.

Man like every few months somebody in law school posts about their temporary international law/human rights job. Come back when they give you a permanent offer and then you can say you're a special snowflake panda. Congrats/good luck though.