Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

prussian advisor
Jan 15, 2007

The day you see a camera come into our courtroom, its going to roll over my dead body.

J Miracle posted:

Proctored in-person assessment? Ok this is getting kinda...day long assessment that includes individual presentations, group work, and interviews? Seriously?

Wait what? I thought this was the same thing.

The worst part is I'm pretty sure they added everything above and beyond the online examination this year, so there's really no preparing for it. Pretty aggravating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prussian advisor
Jan 15, 2007

The day you see a camera come into our courtroom, its going to roll over my dead body.

billion dollar bitch posted:

I mean when you think about grading, in the absence of case work to do. My professor feels like she has to take up the class time, and then also (pointless) meetings with her, and mock interviews with stupid people who just say "I don't know" to every single loving question. I rue the day I signed up, thinking it would be seven easy credits. How do you grade on this?

Which clinic is this?

prussian advisor
Jan 15, 2007

JudicialRestraints posted:

Basically the answer he was actually looking for was "we have no money, I am currently being paid in 'buy one get one free' coupons from Burger King"

Should've worked for Rick Scott's gubernatorial campaign and gotten paid in gift cards instead.

Maybe the truck system is finally making a real comeback...

prussian advisor
Jan 15, 2007

Defleshed posted:

I'm on it, loving owns, end of story. My BA was paid by the GI Bill, so I borrowed only Stafford and Grad PLUS for law school and owe ~160k. My monthly payments are $270 on IBR. It is the best thing ever and if the Republicans cut it I will cut a Republican.

I couldn't even imagine a (non-military) job where I was at work 15 hours a day. That's not worth any amount of money to me. I would honestly rather be unemployed. I'm sorry HooKars!

The bill that created IBR was passed with pretty far-ranging bipartisan support, even though it didn't have any Republican cosponsors (about 30 Democrats though). 273-149 in the House, 78-18(!) in the Senate, signed by Bush in 2007. I doubt it's going anywhere.

IBR owns.

prussian advisor
Jan 15, 2007

commish posted:

I can't believe Columbia 2Ls can't find firm jobs.

The trouble with the internet is it's hard to figure out if someone's being sarcastic or not.

prussian advisor
Jan 15, 2007

Rrail posted:

I assume that #2, the post-nup, is basically going to determine who I go with (and I also understand it will require her to get a separate attorney, as well)? What is the best way to go about searching for an attorney? I don't just want to open the phone book and pick at random, and I certainly don't want to get ripped off.

The best way to do this, typically, is ask person friends who you trust who have used a lawyer for the same or similar issues in the past and whose performance they were satisfied with. Barring that, most state bars have a lawyer referral service based on particular fields of law. Not necessarily the best mode of referral, but likely to yield better results than calling random guys from the phone book.

prussian advisor
Jan 15, 2007

Feces Starship posted:

So out of my four courses, I have one course I p much stopped attending for all practical purposes about two months in and haven't done the reading for since. I have the final in about three and a half weeks, in the midst of my other finals. I know there are several people in this thread that basically do all of law school this way and I'd like some wisdom of how I should study for this exam. My only goal is not to get below a B.

Is this the class I think it is?

prussian advisor
Jan 15, 2007

Feces Starship posted:

lol

But no. I actually do the reading and go most the time for employment. Hard as that may be to believe.

It's criminal adjudication, which is the rear end-half of crim pro. I'm also in the first half and I've been diligent in that, although that outline is far from done.

As for the "read the book three days before" crowd, how do you read an entire casebook in a day? Even skimming? Not only the "pages per instant" measure, but how do you keep focus on something like that for the 15 hours that would require at a bare minimum?

I like the idea regarding the page numbers and the in-book spotting, though.

I did extremely well in adjudication working off just the G drive outlines, even thought they weren't for the professor I had. They're extremely thorough as outlines go, and I'd recommend them (particularly the 100+ page one, I don't remember which professor or what year it was based on) highly no matter which professor you have.

prussian advisor
Jan 15, 2007

Feces Starship posted:

Oh bro, oh bro, the HIGHEST of fives. I didn't even think to look there for some retarded reason.

I <3 u guys

Have you found any outlines that are useful for employment? I haven't, really.

prussian advisor
Jan 15, 2007

Anthropolis posted:

Yeah what's the deal with JAG? Barry Law of Florida keeps running admissions ads in my university newspaper with their "success stories" - they've all gone on to JAG.

The deal with JAG is that it's wonderful. It's also very difficult to get into anymore. The pay, benefits, and work hours of a military officer is going to be far superior to the job opportunities of the overwhelming majority of law students.

prussian advisor
Jan 15, 2007

Defleshed posted:

I just had my first Army Reserv JAG drill weekend and it was pretty cool, lots of sitting around but we also wrote a will for an old lady whose husband is a deceased vet. First time I've practiced law ever!

I want to talk to you about this, can you get on AIM or drop by #lawgoons?

prussian advisor
Jan 15, 2007

So now that the deadline for taking the exam has passed, do any other PMF nominees have any thoughts on the PMF online examination? Have any of you talked to professors with agency contacts to try to get the ball rolling on possible agency placements even this far in advance?

prussian advisor
Jan 15, 2007

Defleshed posted:

I can write you a letter of recommendation for your Army JAG application package.

I'm heading to Charlottesville in July! Longer than I wanted to wait, but still I am excited as all hell.

This, but for me and for real.

How is JAG treating you so far?

prussian advisor
Jan 15, 2007

Defleshed posted:

and also 60K bonus

First I've heard of this. Is this Army only?

prussian advisor
Jan 15, 2007

Defleshed posted:

As far as the 60K, at least for Army, it is brand new and is in the form of student loan relief. The other branches may be offering something similar and if they are it is also pretty new. The only other forms of bonuses (bonii?) would be for re-committing to another four or six years after your initial service commitment and every branch (as far as I know) pays something for that and it is usually straight up cash and not a student loan repayment.

Is the 60k signing bonus you were talking about an actual cash payment though, or do they just directly pay it against your student loans themselves? If you have a lot of loans and are going for IBR/PSLF, it kind of makes any amount of direct loan repayment kind of a waste.

prussian advisor
Jan 15, 2007

Man, when the gently caress are the PMF online assessment results gonna get published <:stare:>

Supposedly the in-person assessments are gonna be in about a month. Hurry up, OPM!

prussian advisor
Jan 15, 2007

Just So You Nerds Know, it looks like the PMF website has been completely overhauled and the new one is located here. What's more, the PMF Program Office

quote:

now estimates that the notice of results for all nominees in the PMF Class of 2011 on whether or not selected as semi-finalists are projected to be sent via email the week of December 20-24, 2010. Once the official list of semi-finalists is ready, a copy will be posted to the PMF website. Thank you!

My understanding from reading random blog posts I found on some blog somewhere is that last year they sent out a number of false positive emails to finalists so my advice would be to wait until the official list is posted before you get excited about any email you receive for OPM, provided you are even biologically capable of becoming excited this far along in your graduate studies.

prussian advisor fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Dec 18, 2010

prussian advisor
Jan 15, 2007

stingray1381 posted:

Do you wish you had stayed at University of San Diego Law School?

As long as you're reading the thread, can I ask you a quick question? In the office where you work, and in other offices that you know of, how many of the attorneys would you say either spent time working as a JAG or have other military backgrounds?

prussian advisor
Jan 15, 2007

stingray1381 posted:

Bummer. I assume you moved back?

People need to understand that we have a Michigan Law, law review alumnus without a job. I don't know if you're socially retarded, but if not, that's really depressing.

There are a number of people at Columbia in very similar situations, none of whom are socially retarded. Basically, the overwhelming majority of the class of 2011 got the shaft and will never really be allowed to practice law, except for a tiny minority who might be allowed to in a permanently subordinate and underemployed kind of way compared to the people who graduated immediately after them. Law school is good times :D

prussian advisor
Jan 15, 2007

We Are All Grumblefish

prussian advisor
Jan 15, 2007

AHAHAHAH I GOT SEC WHOOOOOOOOO

Of course my friend had to be a total buzzkill and ask if summer = job offer later, to which I could only respond, "I hope so," but we'll see!

If the experiences of the people I know at CLS who worked for that same agency 2L year is any indication, the answer is "lol no."

The other agency notorious for telling it's 2L summers to gently caress Right Off when it comes time to apply for permanent employment is the Department of Justice. I don't think a single one of the DOJ SLIP people I've talked to have gotten so much as a second round interview for the DOJ Honors program.

prussian advisor
Jan 15, 2007

If it makes you feel any better, I don't think there's any indication that the SEC actively selects against its 2L summers when making permanent hiring decisions, as opposed to the Justice Department which seems to do precisely that.

Everyone I know who worked 2L summer at DOJ didn't get invited to DC to interview for their Honors program, and conversely, everyone I know who got invited to DC to interview for their Honors program didn't work there over the summer (and only one of them worked at an agency at all.) It's bizarre.

prussian advisor
Jan 15, 2007

Okay but if they don't hire people from their summer program, then why even have a summer program? Do they just want free labor?!?!

Both agencies pay their 2Ls though, probably substantially more than their actual value as employees (if any).

prussian advisor
Jan 15, 2007

Why doesn't anyone want me...

Plenty of people want you, you just said you were a PILF ;)

prussian advisor
Jan 15, 2007

Have any other CLS students not received a single grade yet? I don't remember it taking this long in previous semesters.

edit: congrats lilosh :)

prussian advisor fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Jan 8, 2011

prussian advisor
Jan 15, 2007

evilweasel posted:

My grades were stellar last semester, apparently, unless I bomb the one class I'm waiting on for a grade it was my best semester yet. I virtually never went to those classes, at the end skipping them because I didn't know where we were in the book so I couldn't prepare.

Well, it's not looking good for my attendance for my final semester.

Ugh when did you get your grades? Don't they have some kind of deadline or something?

prussian advisor
Jan 15, 2007

Lilosh posted:

How far down the chain is it worth it? I mean, I'll throw transfer apps at HYS, and maybe Columbia. But should I also apply to CCN? It seems like it wouldn't be worth it to go up a few rankings (Duke, Northwestern, I'm talking to you), but I've even heard people talk about it wouldn't be worth jumping ship for anything short of HYS.

Go for Yale if you continue to do really well and don't think you would risk alienating potentially useful faculty members whose classes you've done well in by asking them for transfer recommendation letters. Harvard and Stanford, sure, go for it I guess. As for Columbia, don't bother. Despite having come from a school straddling the fence between T1 and T2, I genuinely regret the decision to transfer for a multitude of reasons. If I were in your position, I wouldn't transfer for anything less than Yale, and honestly, that is vanishingly unlikely to happen anyway.

Your best bet is probably to stay where you are, make law review, suck up to profs whose classes you did really well in and see if they can help you come job time, especially if you aren't looking for a firm job and they're important people in whatever field you're trying to break into.

prussian advisor
Jan 15, 2007

Adar posted:

which is not guaranteed for a CCN transfer.

At the moment it's a coin toss for a CCN transfer (assuming you mean big firms/OCI), if that. It might be better in a year, but why bet on that?

prussian advisor
Jan 15, 2007

Adar posted:

You know, this is something I never learned and am vaguely curious about. If you transfer from someplace like Cornell to CCN (still implying you were top 10%), do employers give you more credit than if you transfer from, say, Fordham?

I've wondered about this myself. There were a couple people in my transfer class who transferred from other T14s, but I never got to know any of them so I have no idea.

prussian advisor
Jan 15, 2007

commish posted:

God I hate when I get resumes on my desk with poo poo like "top 10%" written on it. I can see your transcript - I don't need to see it on your resume as well.

Since when do law schools print that information on their transcript? I've seen transcripts from half a dozen law schools and not one of them had that information on it.

prussian advisor
Jan 15, 2007

Feces do you have any grades yet. I don't :(

prussian advisor
Jan 15, 2007

Feces Starship posted:

i got all of one. onnnnne

Ugh you dickweed. Im literally jealous. Wish I had a grade :cry:

prussian advisor
Jan 15, 2007

The Warszawa posted:

Apparently I don't get grades until April. Makes it awkward when jobs ask for a transcript.

Isn't that just the point in the interview when you cough loudly, but the cough sounds like the word "Yale?"

prussian advisor
Jan 15, 2007

Defleshed posted:

Large non-profit or association work is pretty awesome too. I've been at my place for 4 years. I get a 40 hour "work" (posting on SA) week, 3 weeks of vacation, tons of paid holidays, and travel to somewhat awesome places 3-4 times a year. (Palm Beach this weekend wooooo). I don't make 105k but I make a good living and can support my family in a semi-middle class fashion thanks to IBR.

I just wish I hadn't decided to throw away all that money to get a law degree then I could remove the "thanks to IBR' from the previous sentence. :smith:

Of course then I wouldn't get to do awesome Army man stuff from the relatively safe position of being a JAG either :unsmith:

So when do you ship out, man? Also what kind of formal classroom training do you get from the Army as a JAG before they start you actually practicing?

prussian advisor
Jan 15, 2007

Sulecrist posted:

I got interviews with the AF and Army JAG for 1L internships. Should I tell them about my grandfathers' adventures in The Great World War Two (some of their stories are pretty cool) or should this really just be about how pretty cool I am?

(I have no military background, but both of my grandfathers flew planes and I, like everyone else, have always been interested in what they did.)

This would probably be a pretty good explanation for the inevitable "why JAG/military" question but probably best make it too focal, especially since it's more than one generation removed from you.

prussian advisor
Jan 15, 2007

I'm so glad that people are stupid and self-destructive enough to quit high-earning, totally secure federal jobs that allow comfortable lifestyles while working and the chance for a real, dignified, comparatively wealthy retirement at a relatively early age. If they didn't, my chance at getting one of those jobs would be exactly zero, instead of just effectively zero.

prussian advisor
Jan 15, 2007

diospadre posted:

Jesus, no wonder pensions are bankrupting the country.

They aren't in any way though, of course, and there's certainly no pension systems on the east coast at least that function anywhere near as generously as what nm is describing. If that's how it works in California, maybe, but it doesn't work that way in any other state I've looked into, including New York.

I'll be shocked if anyone can show me a state pension plan that gives a more generous annual benefit than the military does for 20-30 years of service (50-75% of base pay within that range of years.) I'll be triply shocked if its in any state that isn't California.

prussian advisor
Jan 15, 2007

evilweasel posted:

Most state pension plans are bankrupt. They just haven't admitted it yet.

I didn't say state pension plans weren't underfunded, since a lot of them are (often deliberately.) I meant that state pension benefits aren't "bankrupting the country" in any sense of the phrase.

prussian advisor
Jan 15, 2007

Solomon Grundy posted:

Having [...] a very hairy dog

These are the best kinds of dogs so don't second-guess yourself for a minute.

Also the parking meters you were talking about, what do they take?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prussian advisor
Jan 15, 2007

NYU > Columbia, Cooley rankings' credibility substantially eroded.