Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

Phil Moscowitz fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Nov 5, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

builds character posted:

This is important.

It's so funny to imagine one of the partners at my firm saying that

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

write a scathing email cc:allstudents

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

write an email to the dean cc: allstudents, dude. it'll be cathartic and is the best scenario for everyone

Phil Moscowitz fucked around with this message at 14:14 on May 10, 2010

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

I look forward to reading it on ATL

Maybe some senior partner at an awesome firm will be so impressed with your argumentative reasoning when they get the fwd:fwd:FW they will offer you a job

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

IrritationX posted:

Neither. You just alternate the double and single quotes, so it looks like this:

"He said, 'she said, "Hi, my name is Susan,"'"

this is correct

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Abugadu posted:

Also check if your state has what's known as a 'direct action' statute that allows you to sue the insurer as well as the negligent party without having to jump through the hoops of exhausting every possible remedy against the insured first.

(Upon review, I don't think Illinois has this, and the majority of states don't. http://www.ilnb.uscourts.gov/opinions/JudgeWedoff/AlliedProducts.pdf at pg.6. I think the only ones that do are Louisiana, Guam, Wisconsin, California, Rhode Island, Puerto Rico, Arkansas, New York, Vermont and Maryland.)

I was going to post this--direct action is the poo poo (for plaintiffs)

Like this oil spill, basically every lawsuit is like "Pierre Boudreaux d/b/a Bayou Shrimpers v. British Petroleum, Transocean, ABC Insurance Company, DEF Insurance Company, XYZ Insurance Company, et al."

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

racechat itt

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

pee pee, doo doo, black people dumb, white people dumb,

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

I like tacos on FLOUR TORTILLAS

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

boudin balls beg to differ

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Mr. Bungle is a bad clown and should be tried for crimes against humanity.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Petey posted:

- Julian Dibbell, YLS '13

From my first introduction to the internet---playing "gently caress You, rear end in a top hat" in Ahrnold's voice in Trekkie chatrooms on AOL---the web has been a place of ruthlessly loving with people and being full of poo poo.

So when I had to read that dumbass thing in undergrad in some composition class, and the teacher was talking seriously about a girl crying because her wizard queen was cyberraped by a clown on a text-only game, you can imagine how seriously I took it.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

nm posted:

Public Defender chat:
Court furlough day, so I'm home and indulging in something horrible.
COPS.
This is like watching a horror film, yelling at the screen: "NO DON'T CONSENT TO THAT SEARCH!"

Seriously, when the cop says "You are free to leave," why don't people leave?

dude cops is the best sitcom on TV, you're watching it all wrong

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

also all of that poo poo about not talking, refusing consent etc. is good in theory, but say "officer I respectfully choose to exercise my rights, and I refuse to consent to a search" to a cop who wants to arrest you and you will be going to jail regardless. he'll call the K-9 unit. he'll trump up something to arrest you on and do an inventory search. don't matter one bit.

say "go ahead," and maybe he won't find that joint wedged between the seat and the console.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Alaemon posted:

So your advice to your clients is to consent to the search?

my advice to clients is not to drive around with drugs in their car

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

the question is argumentative and assumes facts not in evidence. however, in the interest of judicial economy and not waiving my objection, my answer is as follows:

no.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Once as a law clerk I did some research and brought my results to the partner who asked for it and he let me finish and said "You sure?"

Being full of gumption myself, I said yes.

"Positive?"

"Yes."

He smiled at me with a weird glint in his eye. "Do you want to bet your job on it?"

poo poo. Can't back down now. "Yes."

Of course I was wrong but he didn't fire me. That guy ruled.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Here's a great job listing on Tulane's career services listserv

quote:

Pro se litigant needs recent JD not yet licensed to do research for various civil cases. Can only afford $10/hr. Access to legal search engine like Lexis required.

Thanks Tulane! $150,000 gets you $10/hr (as long as your free Lexis account lasts!)

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Kase Im Licht posted:

Mostly involves reading emails and things attached to emails, sometimes just the contents of a hard drive, using special software developed for this purpose. Large corporation has to produce docs to the government (antitrust 2nd request usually), or to the opposing party in a litigation of some sort. Sometimes they do keyword searches and filter by types of doc to cut down on the # to look through. Sometimes they do not. We read though them to check for relevance to whatever is going on, and if relevant, check if it needs to be withheld or redacted because of attorney-client privilege or trade secrets/irrelevant info contained in the same email. Depending on the types of docs, who's running it, and how much accuracy they want, you're reviewing 30-120 documents per hour. Sometimes all you have to do is decide relevant/irrelevant. Sometimes they want levels of relevance, and for you to check if it relates to 60 different subject matter tags.

Privilege review: Most of the time you're also reviewing for privilege in addition to responsiveness, but frequently the regular coders are told to ignore privilege, or just flag anything that might possibly be privileged, without going into it too much. Then they'll have a separate team of people review everything flagged, or everything that comes up in a search with an attorney's name in the document, for privilege, since privilege is important.

QC Team: Do spot checks of other attorneys work, make sure they're actually working and not blindly clicking, see if they know what they're doing. Tell the project lead who to fire (fun!). Once I got to design some database searches to pick up specific documents they thought might need to be rechecked.

Team lead: Depends on the project, but I basically handled some administrative stuff (checking timesheets mostly, ugh, how can attorneys not be able to do basic math?), handed out assignments, and also did some QC stuff and made recommendations to the project lead about who sucked and should be fired. Typed up some daily reports for the client so they could see how we were progressing.

I think you missed the point of his post. He doesn't need the nuts and bolts, but you can take those nuts and bolts and put them together in a more interesting way to explain why you would be a good lawyer and not just a doc reviewer.

Explain all that in a valuable way, as in what type of privilege you were looking for, what type of cases it was one, how you crafted a search tool that screened for items with 99% accuracy, supervised other attorneys and were the client contact on various projects...

Put it this way, as a hiring partner at a firm I don't give a poo poo that you looked through electronic documents and flagged stuff, but I am interested to know the subject matter and complexity of the documents and how you used your legal expertise to determine what to flag.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Baruch Obamawitz posted:

alternatively you could study so hard your 1L year that you can play Eve Online all summer instead of studying for the bar

"3L summer - worked 14-20 hrs per day managing extensive resource network along with economic and political system for vidiots"

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

I Am Not Clever posted:

Thanks for the advice.

Is the outlook really that grim? I was under the impression that schools like Lewis & Clark and University of Oregon are well-regarded within their region, the pacific northwest, though they may not get me far in New York City or Washington, DC, for example.

Lewis & Clark claims that of the 216 graduates of the class of 2008 who sought employment, 92% report full-time employment, with 44% in private practice, 20% in business & industry, 17% in government, and so on.

Are they somehow misrepresenting the truth? Because the prospects don't sound nearly so grim as what I'm being told here. If I plan to stay in the pacific northwest, is going to Lewis & Clark really worse than not going to law school at all?

If it's really that bad, I guess I'd better know now.

Post/username combo owns

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

join the foreign service
join the foreign service
join the foreign service
join the foreign service
join the foreign service
join the foreign service
join the foreign service
join the foreign service
join the foreign service

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

CmdrSmirnoff posted:

gently caress. Basically the only firm in the area that does admiralty is hiring an articling student. How can I spin my criminal/regulatory experience and course load in a way that won't get me laughed out of there? It doesn't help that my school offers next to no classes in that field.

This is your cover letter:

Dear Hiring Partner:

We have fed our sea for a thousand years
And she calls us, still unfed,
Though there's never a wave of all her waves
But marks our English dead:
We have strawed our best to the weed's unrest,
To the shark and the sheering gull.

Cordially,

Commander Smirnoff

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Solomon Grundy posted:

Put me in for one Don Rader autographed picture. He is my Beard Hero.

isn't that BTK?

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Chakron posted:

The audio is kind of long, but here is the story of Remedial's wedding. I usually hate stories like this, but this one is amazing and is listenable even if you know absolutely nothing about the people involved.

http://death.innomi.com/uploads/wedding-story.mp3

Hahaha goddamn I thought my life sucked because I'm stuck in buttfuck Missouri for depositions, and then I pour a gin & tonic and listen to this and all is right in the world.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Phil Moscowitz fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Dec 3, 2015

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

I'm from New Orleans and by buttfuck I mean Branson which I presume is like metropolitan Missouri since I can see a Shoneys and a Walmart and an Applebees ALL ON THE SAME BLOCK and the wine store had two countem two white zinfandels

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Mookie posted:

Any and all states where you cannot purchase HARD LIQUOR at any supermarket or 7-11 at 2 a.m. on a Sunday are buttfuck nowhere.

This especially includes New York loving City.

hahah there is gin in my minifridge, how did that get there? must not be buttfuck!

wait maybe this is Springfield, watver

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Ainsley McTree posted:

Law school is still the biggest mistake I've made in my life, and that includes the time when I was a kid and I was playing with dad's wang and my dad said "don't touch the end!" and i touched the end

the end

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

lol posted:

Dan Dargon: So would you like to have drinks with
her/us sometime?
Dan Dargon: I can be someplace else if you want to
just play with Missy or something
wolfsmitten : sure I want to tell Derek now that im not a
skinny person tho
Dan Dargon: Well neither are we, we both have a few
lbs to lose
wolfsmitten : cool i just had a kidney transplant so
i was on steriods ofr a bit but they are taking me off
em so im getting back to normal lol

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

SWATJester posted:

My dad has a med/mal firm, and I found out through it that a neurosurgeon that was a family friend and attended my bar mitzvah got busted for molesting patients while they were knocked out.

Even more awkward: I found out once that a girl I cybered in a MUD back in like 1996 (I was 13) was an insurance adjuster my dad knew.

M-M-Mr. Bungles??

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

I lost my virginity in the mud

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Reading the names of the colleges those kids had their ways paid through made me smile

Colgate snipe

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Go to Cal you noob

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Seriously, saying "I went to Boalt" is like labeling yourself a pencil neck chode. Go to Cal and when people ask you where you went tell them "Cal" or "UC Berkeley" if they're not from California.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Kase Im Licht posted:

Had my first bar complaint. That was fun. Mostly BS. Not that we acted totally perfectly, but nothing is an ethical issue that I see. Bar didn't even open a formal investigation, just got a letter telling me to work this out with the client and tell them how the conversation went. Mostly it was just a (successful) attempt by the client to get out of paying our contingency fee.

Ho ho, you popped your cherry!

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Don't make a jerk out of me. Just don't do it.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

One dog goes one way, the other dog goes the other way. And this guy's saying "Whaddaya want from me?" Got a nice head of white hair. It's beautiful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

I passed two bar exams without ever sitting in any BarBri lecture or submitting any sample essays to anyone, I don't get why anyone bothers with that poo poo