Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.
I'm doing Innocence Project during the semester. I'm on an active investigation (a fresh one; we're the first group this guy has had) and it's hella fun and pretty disillusioning in a good way.

Also I'm playing D&D because I sold my space marines to buy textbooks and alcohol but I am tempted daily . . .

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

HiddenReplaced posted:

I got my final grades for law school.

My GPA has moved .02 since first semester 1L year.

i'm below median

edit: but not as low as that guy that's doing fine and that we use as an example of below median

Sulecrist fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Jan 31, 2011

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

I got interviews with the AF and Army JAG for 1L internships. Should I tell them about my grandfathers' adventures in The Great World War Two (some of their stories are pretty cool) or should this really just be about how pretty cool I am?

(I have no military background, but both of my grandfathers flew planes and I, like everyone else, have always been interested in what they did.)

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Thanks for the replies, Prussian/entris/Defleshed. I have a follow-up but I'll ask in irc.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

HiddenReplaced posted:

This is my Victory day.

we celebratin'

EDIT: I got a job today! Flyover USAO.

Prussian posted:

the only kind imo

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Can anyone give me a rundown of legal life in midwest/southwest cities? I got some really helpful information about government/crim in NorCal last time I asked here, and I was wondering if anyone could tell me about prospects further inland, and closer to Mexico.

More specifically, are Arizona/New Mexico DAs as broke as California offices? Does work in the Southwest help application in the Midwest/Cali, or are they completely isolated markets? And if I spend my summer in the Southwest, will I get laughed at if I try to go back to NY/PA/Maryland, or will I be okay?

Any advice at all is appreciated.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Paramour posted:

This might be a stupid question, but would law schools look down on a Pass/Fail course? I know they don't count for the LSAC, but I was wondering if it would factor into a decision...

I had like three P/F at a tiny, lovely school and I got into Duke (where I am now) and piles of other places so I don't think so, no.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

atlas of bugs posted:

The Lawgoons Summer House is happening.

WHO ELSE IS DOWN

join us

we will be drinking

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

cendien posted:

I'm using Dressler's crim hornbook and its pretty good. Especially if you use the Dressler casebook, but it would probably work for you anyway.

why does dressler cite himself so loving much

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

entris posted:

I had a choice between GULC, Duke and Cornell. Clearly I should have gone to Cornell.

duke and stanford are especially shameful given that duke's class was ~200 and stanford's was ~170. cornell's 2010 was, what, 180?

gulc's 37.58% of 600 sounds pretty great. at least we have bball, low CoL, and nice weather.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

MoFauxHawk posted:

I thought the people who graduated in '10 were supposed to be the hardest hit though, or maybe both '09 and '10. Was that just '09 instead?

nothing finer than an oh niner

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

The Warszawa posted:

As someone who took no time off, I am also advocating the gap (at least one) year - if I hadn't graduated college with basically two options, go home to Kentucky and try to find work or go to YLS, I might have done so myself.

However, look very seriously at your application. Was it just the LSAT that tanked you, or do you have a bad GPA? I don't know your numbers, but honestly if it's the LSAT you can do better and if it's the GPA you're just not going to get into a school that can get close enough to the level of job prospects you need to justify the debt. Don't go.

Yeah, take a year off, find a temporary job, and then seriously think about keeping it. Travel a little. In my gap I went to Australia for a month, saved enough money to carry me through my upcoming unpaid internship, hosed around, and got an offer to stay at my job permanently. Having some work experience will give you a tiny bit of credibility in interviews and in life. It may also make you hungrier for school.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

MoFauxHawk posted:

And think about all the jobs lost at the Innocence Project if the death penalty is repealed too! This is why we need to keep the death penalty around. The people at the Innocence Project are saving lives!

for the record the innocence project works on plenty (perhaps majority) non-capital cases. the ACLU foundation capital punishment project, on the other hand...

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

MoFauxHawk posted:

Ugh stop using "begs the question" wrong everybody.

Edit: Also yeah I thought about using that ACLU group, but the Innocence Project has better name recognition. But you're right. Man that movie Conviction that had Barry Scheck portrayed in it was such a turd.

I actually just watched that tonight. We had a bunch of exonerees and admitted students in the audience and there was some laughing and gasping and crying and I guess people liked it. I thought it was a little contrived (and afterward one of our professors was like "if they'd made that movie about the Duke Law IP the movie would've been four hours longer; DNA is for chumps") but I liked that the guy from the OC was in it.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Classchat:

Duke hasn't hosed the dog this year and it looks like I'll have a fair shot at pretty much every class I'm interested in for the fall semester. But I obviously can't take them all, so I have a few questions.

-I'm going to take Evidence eventually, but should I try to lock it down now or can it wait for a while? (Will it help with the 2L job search, or not at all?)
-Is OCI's discord a good reason not to grab a clinic right now, or will it really not matter?
-Other than Evidence, is there anything I absolutely must try to lock down? I'm not super interested in IP or Tax (although I'd like to try them sometime) and so far I've just been looking at the cool stuff. Am I missing anything?

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Sigma, I have a small favor to ask (it involves an admitted student visiting Boalt soon). Find me in irc or ask one of the following sacks of poo poo for my email address:

Hiddenreplaced
Atlas
Prussian
Warszawa
Holybartender
MFH
tau

I'm sure other people have it but they definitely do.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Red Bean Juice, I love it.

I signed up for Tax and got the second-to-last spot. Thanks for the input, everybody; I'm really looking forward to it.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

entris posted:

What school do you go to, again?

Duke!

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Thank you! This looks really useful.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Omerta posted:

Thanks. UVA is out because they (along with UT) almost never accept out-of-state residents as transfers and I'm not from VA.

If you get into and come to Duke, we will treat you very well. The upperclass goons have been very helpful to me and have provided me with all of the outlines and women (I am not kidding) I could want. I did laundry at HR's apartment every week last semester and we played L4D2 while the damp-rear end dryer spun.

Sulecrist fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Apr 5, 2011

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Ersatz posted:

Are you seriously implying that the prospect of being "provided" with women is a reason to go to Duke?

well just the one, really. and Rock Band.

EDIT: on the other hand, http://www.nytimes.com/2010/02/07/fashion/07campus.html

Sulecrist fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Apr 6, 2011

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

euphronius posted:

If any of you law goons are lawyers in Centre County PA or in central PA and what to talk about law here send me a PM or whatever. It would be nice to meet some more lawyers out here.

I don't have PMs and I'm only a law student, but I'm from Lancaster and I'd like to talk about something similar. I'll get PMs if we have at least one person who wants to talk and has avoided the irc for whatever reason.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Stop posted:

Question:

Would taking a juvenile defender clinic or an immigrant right clinic hurt you if you want to go into prosecution?

Vice versa, would taking a prosecution clinic hurt you if you want to apply for public defender internships/positions?

I also heard from hearsay that some PD or legal aid offices like the Bronx Defenders won't seriously consider your application if you ever expressed interest in prosecution. Is that the case for prosecution as well?

Applying for 1L jobs I got 2-3 answers from prosecutors saying they couldn't take me but providing contact information for their PD friends (I had Innocence Project and ACLU Capital Punishment Project on my resume, and an immigrant/asylum-seeker thing too). I got asked about it in basically every interview and I think at least two places (that I didn't get offers from) were influenced more by those resume items than by anything else.

I'm interning at a USAO this summer and I'm going to try to extern with another prosecutor in the spring, but it can definitely have an effect.

EDIT: Defense side is much more paranoid. Scuttlebutt is that DC defenders, for example, won't touch you if you even sniff prosecutorial air.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

euphronius posted:

I think it would be cool to talk because small town and rural law is completely different than the T14 rat race* and big law experience.

* I mean that with all due respect.

Yeah, I'm curious about it too. I know that my area is flooded with lawyers but I don't really know what day-to-day practice is like. I don't think I'd ever be happy in a very small town, but Harrisburg-sized markets hold a lot of appeal for me.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

entris posted:

jay-z

this is literally all on rapgenius. which, iirc, was started by a lawyer.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Totally Negro posted:

I previously posted a long time ago about my good friend who was thinking about going to "Chapman School of Law" (http://www.chapman.edu/law/). I showed him the responses in this thread, but he decided to go anyway thinking that he would have no trouble finding a job.

He just landed some internship at the LA County DA's office and pretty much rubbed it in my face (jokingly of course, he's my friend after all). Does this mean he's basically set for a job after law school ends? I personally hope so because that would mean he's all set. Does this also mean the doom and gloom isn't as intense as you guys make it out to be? Or is he just an absolute baller that's head and tails above his class and he's the exception to the rule?

There are no jobs in Cali.

I got an interview-free offer to SF DA (highest-paying* in the country, but unpaid summer obviously) and another at Alameda county. Alameda ended up canceling their 1L program entirely because they've had to fire so many police that there isn't enough work for their volunteers to do.

As far as I can tell, the only truly choosy DA in the union, at least as far as 1L summer goes, is Manhattan. And nobody gets a job there out of their 1L summer, either.

Edit: *I think this is Marin, actually

Sulecrist fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Apr 26, 2011

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

BigHead posted:

drat I thought Alaska took the cake on paying DAs. How does my wealthy state pay less than your stupid bankrupt state? At least we have jobs :mad:

I'm actually from Pennsylvania, which lures young men of distinction to the prosecutorial flag with yearly salaries starting at $34k.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

BigHead posted:

Thank you for reiterating my belief that Alaska is the best of anything.

I'd be really interested in working up there. Would being on Duke's Alaska Law Journal help slip into an otherwise insular market? How does an out-of-stater typically work his way in?

also how much money are we talking about

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

BigHead posted:

buy me a sandwich

Three pages slow, but will do. I will pretty much go anywhere that I'd have a reasonable chance of practicing CRIMINAL LAW, and I like hiking and cold places. I'll definitely keep it in mind.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

amishsexpot posted:

all of us 1Ls

Just property left (in 27 minutes). Wish me luck. Thanks for that thing btw.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Red Bean Juice posted:

About 8000 people will slit your throat for one of those positions (including me) (this is true of most legal markets right now but especially NorCal)

Yes I would kill a man for such a job and I'm not a killer. I would teach his family members to play frisbee and I hate playing frisbee.

Duke 1Ls still don't have grades. If I'm below median again I may drink a whole bottle of whisky like that dude in Party Down.

EDIT: it sounded kind of sexual so I changed it

Sulecrist fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Jun 22, 2011

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Holy poo poo, I got median, 50th percentile. This isn't a joke (edit: I mean like the threads I was in on the other forums.) I was so sick and had had horrible sleeps leading up to the tests because of a sinus infection and medications for it and my alcoholism was pretty bad; I guess the adrenaline rush I got was enough and I'm so happy I did this well. I really thought I wouldn't be this visibly happy even if I did this well. I'm gonna have champagne for starters and then I'm gonna drink the rest of my absinthe with friends and let my hallucination tell me how best to help the world with this rank, although absinthe has never made me hallucinate before. I'm so happy. With my beautiful blue eyes and blond hair I could get into Covington, my goal firm, even I accidentally stare at the hiring partner's titties. I only have to consider Skadden if they let me split. Now I get to focus on improving my pickup lines and working on my dark ages fantasy novel and mixology and other ventures in order to make me likable enough to get a couple of South African chicks to rock out. I am so happy. Thanks for all your help, you guys, and congratulations to everybody else on their grades.

Sulecrist fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Jun 23, 2011

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

BEARSLOOKOUT posted:

Sorry, that did come off pretty ambiguous. It looks like I'm going to Windsor if I don't see any waitlist movement in my favor at other schools. I just meant in terms of studying, exam prep. Important things anyone knows now that they wish they knew when starting out.

EDIT: I should add, other than not going, dieing alone, and all that. It's too late for me now :(

Play sports with your classmates and make sure you have a good place to park. If you handwrite your notes, start typing them up loving early. Get outlines from upperclassmen. Go to office hours if you have any questions. If you don't have questions, try to find one of those decks of flashcard questions by subject and start trying to answer them. Do this anyway, I guess. Don't skip class. Don't date girls/boys in your section. Don't hit on them, either. If you sleep with them, be cordial. Don't stop exercising. Start exercising if you don't exercise. All of your hobbies and connections to the outside world are going to disappear and resistance is probably futile but just try to be cognizant of what a horrible loving nerd you're turning into. Find practicing attorneys that're alums/working in your chosen field/from your hometown as soon as possible and ask them for advice. Don't try to make them like you (but be likeable) and don't try to get jobs; literally ask them questions you have about the profession because Career Services doesn't know poo poo and your professors' experience was entirely different to the one you face. Try to figure out what you want to do early, and be willing to change your mind, but learn as much as you can about particular fields as early as you can (spring at the latest, I think). Make some upperclassmen friends and friends at different grad schools. Maybe get a pet. Try to work in some good eating habits because they're going to deteriorate. Come up with a good answer for "why did you choose to go to law school" because you're going to get asked it a lot.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

when should I start applying to 2L summer jobs?

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Blakkout posted:

What kind of job are you looking for?

Metro DA. I'm going to apply to Philly, Baltimore, Santa Fe, and Abq in the next few days if I can summon the energy (because I'll be in the cities before the end of the summer) but I'm not sure about the rest.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Xvimic posted:

Well that was the tentative and admittedly obvious plan I had come up with. Still I'm wondering about the extra hundred or so grand I will probably be expected to pay for a T14 against the cheaper but less prestigious T1 education. Assuming, as it is, that I'm not terribly enthralled with the notion of being a biglaw madman. The debt from T14 sounds oppressive and I don't know how I'll pay it off with out taking a job I might hate. I mean, the cash is nice from biglaw (assuming I could even swing a job) but I've heard stories from friends about 90 hour work weeks and constant incestuous co-worker backstabbing which quite frankly doesn't sound worth the salary to me.

It is nice to hear that some dudes managed to swing decent scholarships with stats like mine though.

I know you are right though, I'm not working with all the information until I get acceptance letters and negotiate some. Hard not to war-game a bit anyways.

Like some other people that've posted already, I had your numbers exactly (.01 GPA difference) and got into most of the T14 and ended up at Duke with a third. This was in the most competitive year in recorded history or some poo poo so I'm sure you can do better. Apply early; I had some really nice options (including Duke, non-binding, within 72 hours of applying) and could afford to visit different schools and really find a place I liked.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Plato, can you get in the channel? I have Cook County questions.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Elotana posted:

Who are the NOLA lawyers here again and can they recommend a good suit-type place that's maybe a step above J.A.B./Wearhouse, my ancient wool suits are finally wearing out and I need something more light and breathable anyway since each city I work in is hotter and humider than the last :argh:

sak's off fifth, nordstrom rack

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

I have sixteen interviews and the Duke lawgoon the year above me says I should get more during our free-for-all round. At this point I'm semi-worried that pretty much all of the firms I'm interviewing for are better than me. I want to work at a DA so this isn't a terrible problem but it is probably what I will be thinking about for a while.

Also, I had my last day of work today. I liked pretty much everything about this summer and hope you all are doing okay too!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

BigHead posted:

Well if you belong in HYS and/or have the giant cock that you keep repeating that you have, then you wouldn't need a Conviser's.

Were you the guy on the AK Journal and looking at AKCOA / SCOAK / AK trial court? If so, I'll give you a reference if you PM me your phone number and, uh, we get in touch or something.

Sort of but yes. I didn't get ALJ (fuckers passed me by; ain't like I had bigger and better) but I'm on the international journal and Alaska is kind of like a foreign country so maybe that's a tie. I'm still interested in working there next summer; give me a few days to buy PMs (I'm roadtripping) and I'll send you a message. Thanks, Bighead.