Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

All the lawyers in this thread are being way too literal. The simple answer as to why court proceedings are all in English, and you can't somehow avoid them by claiming to only be fluent in Shyriiwook, is because the court will ignore you if you try and argue that, and there is no way for you to impose your will on the court and the executives that will enforce the court's decisions. I doubt you can construct an airtight logical argument from constitutional first principles regarding why you can be forced to obey a court even if they don't serve you in Klingon. But it doesn't matter because a court will literally ignore you, just like if you claim a court doesn't have proper jurisdiction because the flag has a gold fringe on it, or because your name on the criminal indictment is in all caps. Some people doggedly grasp onto the wrongheaded belief that judicial authority derives from Magic Words of Power or something and all judges must be corrupt and part of The System if they refuse to entertain your notions.

On a related note, here's a list of idiot legal arguments and a tax protestor FAQ listing common "arguments" that people often try to use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

I did fine in high school and not long ago I had a recurring dream that for some reason my high school diploma ended up being invalid and I had to go back but forgot that I had enrolled in a certain class so I had a final I hadn't studied for and also I had forgotten everything about the French language so I was gonna fail that class too

basically the school ur-nightmare

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Also I think my car broke down so I couldn't get there for a test too

e: :synpa:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Ainsley McTree posted:

I liked how in the TV version they changed it to "I HATE EVERYBODY"
Which should be worse if you think about it, since it means he hates all minority groups at the same time

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

GregNorc posted:

Has anyone made a program that will convert law documents to hypertext? That poo poo should be so cash, especially since they reference other areas of the document/other documents so loving often.
http://www.paradocsonline.com/services/bluecite

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

HooKars posted:

Philly, which means another bar exam. And the latest start date is August 31st so I have to move quickly.
Nice. Did you hear about it through the grapevine? I'm looking for work in Philly and I really don't know how to find stuff there.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

The Warszawa posted:

1L just started. Highlight quote thus far: "None of you have the energy or the perseverance to fail."
Wow Yale Law really sucks their students' dicks

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Petey posted:

Thought anyone involved in law review would love this.
Yeah when I was on law review I quickly grew disillusioned when I realized that the citechecking bitch work entirely consisted of "is this in the proper Bluebook format / does the cited article say what the citation says it says?" and nothing about "is the cited article actually correct or verifiable?" A law review article could have nothing but citations to timecube.com and as long as it followed BB 11.1(f)(ii) or whatever it would be completely above board as far as any law review is concerned.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Baruch Obamawitz posted:

I was on ACLR at Georgetown, working on an article about immigrant cultural mores as a mitigating defense using the example of some custom among the southeast-Asian Hmong and using a particular criminal trial in America, except the author never cited anything saying that the defendant in that trial was himself Hmong only that he was Laotian, and I, of course, raised this as a concern to the editorial board and they fixed it so deal with it you baby.
So the author didn't cite sources for his assertions, whoopty doo. My point being that he could have cited an account of the trial on some podunk blog that said the guy was Hmong, and 99% of law reviews would leave it at that, regardless of whether or not the blog was correct or had any basis for thinking the guy was Hmong or not.

Linguica fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Sep 2, 2010

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Gadamer posted:

Today is my girlfriend's first day as a lawyer. How long do I have before she starts drinking heavier and beating me?
Today is my girlfriend's first day too, we can start a battered boyfriends' support group

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

On Saved By The Bell this oh so cute college guy macking on Kelly is a pre-law major :swoon:

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Adar posted:

Kelly has seen more coke than every Manhattan lawyer combined true story
Could it have been Jessie mayhap?? She did have a thing for caffeine pills after all

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Draile posted:

This gigantic building is GULC's gym (creepy Thomas the Tank Engine not included):

GULC HAS MOON BOUNCES??? I WENT TO THE WRONG SCHOOL

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Pretty Much Correct Comics

:airquote: standing :airquote:

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

TyChan posted:

I want to open the blood gates.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

http://www.reddit.com/r/law/comments/dh1jh/confused_1l_contemplating_withdrawing_2l_3l/

some person posted:

I am currently attending a T3 school on full scholarship however since day 1 I've felt I made the wrong choice in coming to law school. I do not find myself interested in any classes or engaged in any of the material. I sit through every class glancing at my watch wishing it was over. I dread doing my reading and briefing cases but have no problem completing the work. I'm not behind at all and am understanding the concepts taught thus far. Yet I cannot picture myself actually practicing law. It's a ordeal to drag myself out of bed in the morning. Since I'm only 5 weeks in is it too early to make this type of descision? Or is the fact I've felt this way since day 1 and it has only gotten worse tell me something?
choice responses:

quote:

If you were paying for it, I would be tempted to say that you should withdraw. However, if you're on a free ride, then gently caress it. Stay the course. There are umpteen million things you can do with a JD besides practice law.

quote:

full scholarship is amazing. give it a little longer. jds are worth a lot more than practicing law.

unless you feel like you have something better to do.

quote:

Hang in there; worst case scenario is that you come out of law school with a very valuable degree that can lead to very diverse career paths (you do not have to become a lawyer just because you have a JD).

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

CIGNX posted:

Can someone elaborate on the "law and economics" and the Learned Hand reference? I'm not immersed in legal philosophy nor have any connection to lawyers and/or law school, but I've seen law and economics pop up before and have no idea what the deal with it is.
The "Hand formula" basically says you're only negligent if the cost burden of preventing that negligence (B) is less than the probability (P) of some bad thing happening negligently, multiplied by the cost of the loss (L) of that bad thing, i.e., B < P*L. For instance, if there's a 10% chance that a person might trip on a crack on the sidewalk outside your store and hurt themselves to the tune of $1000, you're only negligent if fixing the crack would cost less than $100.

Of course, since in the real world it's impossible to accurately value P and L, it basically gives judges a way to legitimize any dumb decision on a negligence issue that they feel like making.

Linguica fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Sep 23, 2010

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

entris posted:

I applied to every single top 40 law school (except Yale) and I don't remember seeing Sol School of Law but god drat I would have gone to that. I'll bet they have a fantastic energy law program.
Only problem is that it's got a reputation as a bit of a diploma mill, every year it gives out 6,000 degrees :roflolmao:

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

J Miracle posted:

No I blew my pass/fail on business enterprises cause I let people scare me about the exam and then I got an A anyway.
Lol, the managing editor of my journal apparently pass/failed Transnational Law, a class that everyone is required to take to graduate, and then booked it anyway (i.e. got the highest grade in the class).

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

whyyy

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

This blog is amazing: http://chris-armstrong-watch.blogspot.com/

A staffer in the Michigan AG office (who apparently went to Michigan undergrad and Ave Maria Law) maintains an absolutely insane blog where he slings mud at the current Michigan Student Assembly president for his "homosexual agenda". It's full of stuff like this, after the intrepid reporter found some Facebook wall posts which were obviously intended to troll him personally:

quote:

Since this site revealed a few days ago that new Michigan Student Assembly (MSA) President Chris Armstrong, a militant homosexual extremist, had the impudence to host a "gay" orgy at his U of M dorm back in October of 2009, the reaction from the University's homosexual "community" has been predictable. That is, Armstrong's fellow militants are THRILLED that he so perfectly reflects their promiscuous lifestyle.

The evidence is - or at least was - on Chris' Facebook (FB) wall. The screenshot above, which Chris Armstrong Watch obtained from one of its MANY vigilant confidential sources, is from July 6, 2010. In this screenshot, one can see that, within an hour's time, several of Armstrong's fellow extremists congratulate him on hosting the orgy.

First, lesbian student activist Mical DeGraaff wrote:

quote:

Way to host a big gay orgy, dude!
Then, apparently having seen this wall post in his FB newsfeed, U of M student Brad Bergeron "outed" himself as one of the orgy participants and, while taking the Lord's name in vain, commented on DeGraaff's post by disgustingly bragging:

quote:

Oh my god, yes! I had so much sex that night! What a fabulous night of homosexual shenanigans.
That repulsive comment was then followed by another FB wall post from one of Armstrong's fans, Patrick Benjamin Mitchell, who opined:

quote:

Apparently you host the best gay orgies. . . Ever!
It seems clear that Patrick, also a homosexual, was not invited to the orgy event, which is probably because he is also African American. As has been documented here in previous posts, Armstrong recently showed his disdain for minority students by spitting in their faces and joining Order of Angell, a secret student society with a well-known history of racism and elitism. Armstrong outright LIED during his MSA presidential campaign when he publicly stated that he would never join the offensive group.

While his fellow homosexual extremists are predictably delighted with the revelation that Armstrong hosted a "gay" orgy at his dorm, Armstrong seems to recognize that having done so may now just end-up costing him the presidency of MSA, given the natural revulsion that most sane heterosexual members of the U of M community feel about such activity.

Indeed, multiple confidential sources confirm that Armstrong removed the three aforementioned posts/comments from his FB wall within a few hours after they appeared. Hmm . . . it looks as though Armstrong was trying to desperately hide the truth. Unfortunately for Armstrong's political career, Chris did not delete them fast enough. And, enough is enough. It is time for Armstrong to RESIGN NOW!
It almost makes me think the blog itself is a big troll maybe? Like M R GALLETA?

Linguica fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Sep 29, 2010

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Low Ping Gentleman posted:

I've scored 174 on 10 of the 12 practice tests I've done so far (170/175 for the other two), but for whatever reason I'm convinced that I'll barely score over 160 when it comes to the actual test. I figure practice tests don't mean too much, since you're not facing the pressure of writing an actual test.
If you're diligently taking practice exams in the proper manner (obeying strict time limits in an unfamiliar environment) then your real LSAT score ought to be in the same range.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

My girlfriend passed the DE bar :woop:

Now to wait for 4 pm tomorrow to see the PA results :suicide:

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Stunt Rock posted:

Is she a UVA grad who works as a corporate lawyer in Wilmington, per chance?
Ummm no...

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Wavelet posted:

Anyone know anything about CA biglaw? The good firms? The bad firms? The TTTs?
That's a pretty ridiculously broad question there

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

I can't get over just how ridiculous the New Jersey Board of Bar Examiners website is

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Passed the PA bar exam~~

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Tetrix posted:

What source can I use as authority for the size of the Beaufort Sea? This is for journal. Do I dare use Wikipedia?
use an almanac, or the New York Public Library Desk Reference, or an encyclopedia http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/57625/Beaufort-Sea

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

lol

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=miwSljJAzqg&t=169s

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

here's a paraphrase of the exchange

coons: "schools should be teaching broadly accepted scientific fact, not religious doctrine." (literally true, see, e.g., edwards v. aguillard)

o'donnell: "well you've just proved how little you know about constitutional law. if local school districts want to give equal time to intelligent design, it is their right. the supreme court has always said it is up to the local community to decide which standard to teach. (literally false, see id.) this is just an example of why our country is in the lovely state it's in, because we've moved away from the indispensable principles of our founding."

coons: "one of those indispensable principles is the separation of church and state."

o'donnell: "where in the constitution is the separation of church and state?" (does not know difference between text of constitution and universally accepted canons of constitutional interpretation) (is a retard)

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Soothing Vapors posted:

comfort me lawgoons

the MPRE is super easy and only takes like 10 hours of study right? I have not taken ethics and have not yet opened a book
if you fail the MPRE with even the slightest modicum of studying you might as well kill yourself

i studied for maybe 5 hours (most of which was half-listening to the free online kaplan videos) and still passed

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

anonexpedient posted:

Or have people always been so vocal in discouraging people from law schoo, and I just haven't noticed it until now (this is probably the case)?
Besides the other reasons stated, there's also stuff like this

It's not just the law school, it's the massive debt you can go into in order to get it

Linguica fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Oct 29, 2010

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Lemonus posted:

I swear dig up that man and put him on trial.
Are cadaver synods part of the common law?

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Zealous Abattoir posted:

So, I bombed the LSAT. I guess I am bowing out.
Congratulations, and I mean that literally.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Shang Yang posted:

stuffing a sock into your undies sounds like a certain type of fraud to me
Hasn't some jurisdiction decided women can sue for rape by fraud when a guy pretends to be rich to gently caress women? Not a big leap

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

passed the NJ bar, sorry Adar :doh:

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Elotana posted:

Hahaha I got the letter with my actual bar exam score back and I think am the most efficient attorney in Texas
so you got a 675?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Baruch Obamawitz posted:

a friend of mine dated Aria Giovanni his 2L summer instead of trying to get a job. He still had a job after the bar.
Honestly this is probably more impressive than being a dumb summer associate, shows he's good with client contact :pervert: