Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HiddenReplaced
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah...
it's wanking time.

evilweasel posted:

I've heard the bloomberg one is actually much better than either. Never used it though.

It's not. I think they're all equally useful.

However, I do have an awesome Bloomberg Law tshirt that is great for the gym!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HiddenReplaced
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah...
it's wanking time.
Pretty entertaining petition for rehearing to the Ninth Circuit. Here are samples:

Crazy Dude posted:

Thank you Judge Bowie for violating F.R.C.P. Rule 26, as well as every other discovery rule you cock sucking mother fucker.

Crazy Dude posted:

Plaintiff wants the three (3) little bitches who are referring to themselves as judges on this case to be on notice that allowing criminal and civil fraud to take place with the blessing and straight up support of the Court (which is supposed to protect people in these situations) is going to result in civil unrest.

http://db.tt/bF1Lrl2

HiddenReplaced
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah...
it's wanking time.

joat mon posted:

I went the opposite way. Army brat my entire life, then Marines as a JA.

IDF or GTFO.

Buncha pussies.

HiddenReplaced
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah...
it's wanking time.

Lemonus posted:

This shits a disgrace. Guess we will look forward to Judges having to make political campaign Ad's solicit donations now or something?

Yeah, if they want to violate the Code of Judicial Conduct.

HiddenReplaced
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah...
it's wanking time.

Roger_Mudd posted:

Yes, find a job and immediately sue the people who sign your checks. In 2 years you'll have mad toilet paper money yo!

If they discharge him he will have a retaliation claim too!

HiddenReplaced
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah...
it's wanking time.

Cortina posted:

I passed.

Suddenly the world seems like a brighter, more lucrative place.

(I'm a girl. Just thought I'd clarify.)

How you doin?

HiddenReplaced
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah...
it's wanking time.
I may have posted something out of anger. I may have then retracted it because I will not feed trolls.

HiddenReplaced
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah...
it's wanking time.
Civ V on sale for $30 on Amazon Lightning Deals for the next 10 minutes.

HiddenReplaced
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah...
it's wanking time.

Beerdeer posted:

I don't envy you exam takers.

I graduated in 2007 at the bottom of my class from a tier 4 school. Thank god for the federal government hiring.

......I am now the most angry I've been in several weeks.

HiddenReplaced
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah...
it's wanking time.

Beerdeer posted:

I will never be able to get a job practicing without hanging out my own shingle.

I work for USCIS as an adjudications officer, meaning I sit in a cubicle and process applications. (Currently I work refugee adjustment of status) The JD took me from a GS7 to a GS9 on track to a 12.

PAY ATTENTION to the lists your schools give of other careers a JD helps with. Besides the pay bump, my degree helps me interpret the law we rely on, which is a classic mess.

Of course, if you're not in law school yet, DON'T GO. THERE ARE NO JOBS. YOU WILL DIE ALONE.

Are they hiring? What is the classification on USAJobs that I should search for?

HiddenReplaced
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah...
it's wanking time.

Stunt Rock posted:

Counterpoint: My ex only got a 154 on the LSAT. She went to a TTT same as me. She is now an attorney with DOJ.

Counterpoint: Every other piece of evidence in this thread.

HiddenReplaced
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah...
it's wanking time.

Totally Negro posted:

Also a general question to those reading: Do you foresee a reversal in what's happening to the law profession? If so, when? Or has the dilution of a non T14 law degree caused irreparable damage?

The class of 2012 is doing much better than 2011, at least at my school. The majority of them have summer associate positions lined up at significantly better firms than similarly situated students from the class of 2011.

HiddenReplaced
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah...
it's wanking time.

The Warszawa posted:

This is really great.

But what if you're a Yale man? :smug:

I can't believe you even considered Harvard. You would have missed out on so much smuggery.

HiddenReplaced
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah...
it's wanking time.

Defenestration posted:

I would like to know. Does one have to be the son of a famous lawyer? Or #1 at Yale or what? I know there are "feeder judges" but how do you get in with that?

I'm going skiing with a couple SCOTUS clerks next month. I'll see if they want to join our thread.

Adar posted:

This is probably too many words for your question, but I've been roommates (frat house) with three.

Why was there a female living in your frat house?

HiddenReplaced fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Dec 10, 2010

HiddenReplaced
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah...
it's wanking time.
For those of you who want dropbox invites, send me a pm or an email (HiddenReplaced@gmail.com) with the email you have linked to your dropbox folder.

HiddenReplaced
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah...
it's wanking time.

Cortina posted:

This oddity ended up in the inboxes of every person at our firm today. Further investigation shows that it in fact went out to every person who is on a private email discussion list for attorneys in our practice area.

I'm curious to see if it works. The partners here were mostly confused by it, and by the tone of familiarity. My dad just assumed it was someone I knew and that he had perhaps met but couldn't remember.

I have a friend who is a 3L at UHLC; I am going to ask him if he knows this chick, and to give her a point value on the 1-10 crazy scale.

She's cute and interested in fitness and nutrition. Hire her.

HiddenReplaced fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Dec 22, 2010

HiddenReplaced
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah...
it's wanking time.

sigmachiev posted:

I count four (HYS, Northeastern), five if you count Berkeley's pseudo grades and maybe six if UChi is thrown in (don't they use some weird point system?)

I only count two, Yale and Northeastern. Harvard and Stanford both use the same bullshit "honors/pass/low pass/no credit" that Boalt uses. Honors = A, Pass = B+, low pass = B/B-, no credit = you didn't take the final. Just because they don't use letters doesn't mean they're not grades. The only thing I count as no grades is if every single persons' transcript reads the same loving thing, CR CR CR CR CR CR CR CR, otherwise you're being graded.

HiddenReplaced fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Dec 24, 2010

HiddenReplaced
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah...
it's wanking time.

Feces Starship posted:

If you ever get brave one night and try to go to Harlem through the park, i will be waiting for you

Been there, done that, didn't see you. We did, however, pass a group of colored fellows "burning out" push-ups in the middle of the street. They kindly extended an invitation to me to join them in their game, and I graciously accepted.

HiddenReplaced
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah...
it's wanking time.

Forever Zero posted:

She said she wanted to be closer to her family.. also she decided not to go to University of Mich because she didn't like Detroit and didn't want to practice there. I like this girl and don't want her to be crushed by lack of job prospects I mean she had a 3.8 in undergrad.:smith:
http://www.johnmarshall.edu/admission/consumer.php

I still don't know why she chose this school which has a median gpa of below a 3.0 and its not like if you are pre-law you have to take any hard science classes or weed out courses.

So what about contract law? What are her prospects in that?

Yeah because John Marshall is the only law school in Atlanta. Oh wait...there's Emory. Well, Emory expensive and she got a partial scholarship to John Marshall. Oh wait...there's Georgia State which is cheaper to go to for 3 years than 1 year at John Marshall.

Yeah, smart girl.

HiddenReplaced
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah...
it's wanking time.

evilweasel posted:

Apparently I went skiing with hiddenreplaced this weekend!

Well you were skiing, but I was tumbling down hills.

HiddenReplaced
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah...
it's wanking time.

evilweasel posted:

[ask] me about my strict rule on diamond carat size for my prospective fiance to not get turned down flat!

k=greater of(2+.5(age-28),2)

Those 10 hours spent riding in the van were very educational. I felt like a fly on the wall at a slumber party.

HiddenReplaced
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah...
it's wanking time.

MechaFrogzilla posted:

HamDel<<<<<<<<<<Subsconscious<M2M<Appletree

Imagine Milano is about a foot to the right.

I hate the stupid names Hamdel gives to their food. The "Clinton" or the "Monica" for example...all that crap. I think what bothers me the most is, how the gently caress do they even relate to that person? They're just sticking a name on it for no good reason. Just call it chicken salad for gently caress sake.

HiddenReplaced
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah...
it's wanking time.

Tetrix posted:

Welp, Obama is going to propose a 5 year spending freeze in the State of the Union tonight. Does that make it impossible to get a federal job or just harder?

DOJ and parts of HHS have already announced hiring freezes.

HiddenReplaced
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah...
it's wanking time.

Defleshed posted:

You know the Tea Partiers want to cut that insane salary right? And rightfully so goddamned government bureaucrats getting lazy and fat on that sweeet sweet 27k per year

A 4th year attorney with the Federal Government makes 105k, "works" 40 hours a week, and gets a month of paid leave (which they actually use).

HiddenReplaced
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah...
it's wanking time.

Baruch Obamawitz posted:

warhammerchat time:

am I too old to start playing

Yes.

You're the right age for Warhammer 40k, though.

HiddenReplaced
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah...
it's wanking time.

10-8 posted:

Does the patent office have credit hours for these situations? If I work an 11-hour day, I get three credit hours that are essentially extra annual leave to be used whenever I want. It essentially protects us from ever having to work any unpaid overtime.

I'm pretty sure everyone gets credit hours. I got them as a summer intern.

HiddenReplaced
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah...
it's wanking time.
I got my final grades for law school.

My GPA has moved .02 since first semester 1L year.

HiddenReplaced
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah...
it's wanking time.

CaptainScraps posted:

8 months until I have to live in my mom's house if I don't find a better-paying job.

I'm moving back in late May. Whenever Barbri starts. In re barbri, should I do online only or go to the class?

Should I even take barbri? It's $2,700 and I'm the one paying for it.

HiddenReplaced
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah...
it's wanking time.

blar posted:

Are you going to pay for barbri with private loans? See if you can arrange for someone's Feb. 2011 books. I have also heard rumors of groups of people sharing the video lectures.

No private loans. I was lucky enough to have a paying summer position with the Federal Government.

Of course they officially announced a hiring freeze yesterday.

HA... :(

Edit: So it sounds like the online video is the same poo poo in class, is there anyway to get access to the videos without blowing $2,700?

HiddenReplaced fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Feb 2, 2011

HiddenReplaced
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah...
it's wanking time.

amishsexpot posted:

So, I'm peeking out from my cloud of denial - I'm in my second semester of 1L at Fordham. I would love some advice for summer plans. Here's my options:

Option 1 - Go back to working at the law firm that I was at prior to school. Hours are extremely flexible (10AM-5PM), the pay is great, and I can go back to FIT and take some summer fashion design classes again, which I would love.
Downside: it might make me look lazy on my resume if I just go back to the same law firm.

Option 2 - Go to Korea for a corporate internship at Samsung. Placement is guaranteed, I have to take a 2-week course in International Business which is a guaranteed A- or above (which would definitely be a welcome boost to my GPA), it's apparently a lot of fun, I would have time to travel to see long lost relatives, and make lots of friends.
Downside: it will take up my whole summer (June to August), it costs around $10k, my relatives will most likely ridicule me for not being 100 pounds, and my overly jealous boyfriend will probably dump me/cheat on me while I'm gone.

Option 3 - Keep applying for jobs - hope for a paid internship or a clerkship.
Downside: Probably not happening.

Option 4 - Drop out.
Downside: ?

:)

Edit: I'm mainly considering Option 1 and 2. Option 3 and 4 are just wishful thinking.

So you're Korean?...

How you doin?

HiddenReplaced
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah...
it's wanking time.

Baruch Obamawitz posted:

Here's my dilemma:

My current job is easy as poo poo and it makes decent money. However, I'll become a primary examiner in two years which means I'll be making the most I'll ever make at the job by the time I'm 29. My only options for advancement are management, where I'd be making the same money, or one of the political appointee positions where I could make something like $20k more a year. I "might" be able to swing a job as a BPAI judge, but who knows.

On the other hand, I'd get a job starting at more than I could make at my current job, but I'm sure I'd be in the office a lot. I'm in the gym three days a week, I play rugby which is Tuesday and Thursday evenings and all day Saturday, and I want to be able to continue to do this. Also my wife could probably quit her job that she hates thanks to the additional money, so that would make me not have to listen her complain about her job every day so that's a plus. Also she really hates her job so I guess she'd be happy too.

On the third hand, I'm sure that if I do wind up getting an offer, I can take a couple of days to see whether my current job would still be there for me if the lawyer thing doesn't work out.

Would it really be so terrible making 140k with insane benefits, tons of free time, and job security for the rest of your life? Really? Why are you even thinking of leaving this position? I mean I know why, I think most of us on here have a pretty good feel for your ambitions by now, but think about this. You're going to lose SO MUCH of your free time for a little bit more money...SO MUCH. Please take the time to calculate how much you make per hour now, and how much you will make once you have to bill 2k+ hours.

HiddenReplaced
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah...
it's wanking time.

Petey posted:

I am going to kill you

Not because your desires are unreasonable but because you can't figure out how to get a new TV on $120k a year with a wife working

This. Do this. goddammit WJ do this. I am trying to save your life.

e: think, for a moment, about all of the things you are going to have to give up to take this job. Now realize that you don't have that security anymore. And then think about the fact that you could just use some of that lingering libertarian initiative to bootstrap your way into supplemental income that would equal it.

He doesn't even have law school debt! What the hell!?

HiddenReplaced
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah...
it's wanking time.

Lilosh posted:

Based on the the fact that you're mentioning three grades and not four, I assume CLS is Columbia and not Cornell?

CLS = Columbia

The rule is the most prestigious institution gets the acronym.

HiddenReplaced
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah...
it's wanking time.

Baruch Obamawitz posted:

I'm by no means scraping by, it's just that I want more stupid poo poo in my life because the stupid poo poo I have isn't enough and I'm a great big dumb baby.

There has got to be a DC Warhammer 40k league. Buy some premade armies and go beat up on poor nerds.

Edit: Ha, today's Gallup Poll. http://www.gallup.com/poll/145928/A...USA+-+Wellbeing

HiddenReplaced fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Feb 3, 2011

HiddenReplaced
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah...
it's wanking time.
For those of you who don't want to paint models but still want blood for the Blood God.

$5 http://store.thq.com:80/store/thq/en_US/pd/Warhammer-40000-Dawn-of-War-II/productID.107185400
$5 http://store.thq.com:80/store/thq/en_US/pd/Warhammer-40000-Dawn-of-War--Chaos-Rising/productID.164916500

Dawn of War II Review: http://www.gametrailers.com/game/warhammer-40-000-dawn-of/6584
Dawn of War II: Chaos Rising Review: http://www.gametrailers.com/game/warhammer-40-000-dawn-of/12302

HiddenReplaced
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah...
it's wanking time.

HiddenReplaced posted:

I'm moving back in late May. Whenever Barbri starts. In re barbri, should I do online only or go to the class?

Should I even take barbri? It's $2,700 and I'm the one paying for it.

Nevermind, now a law firm is paying for it and I won't be living with my mom.

HiddenReplaced
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah...
it's wanking time.

entris posted:

Is this a subtle way to say "I got a job"??!

Congrats, if so!

Yep, thanks!

HiddenReplaced
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah...
it's wanking time.

billion dollar bitch posted:

Oh I thought PILF was public interest law fund, which is the fund that gives us money for doing public interest.

For Duke it's the Public Interest Law Foundation.

http://www.law.duke.edu/student/act/pilf/pilfauction.htm

Check out the firms that donated in 2008. See if you can spot the goon firm.

HiddenReplaced
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah...
it's wanking time.

Baruch Obamawitz posted:

http://bearlawyer.wordpress.com/

Thank you for this. I might make it to lunch now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HiddenReplaced
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah...
it's wanking time.

PapalRain posted:

GWU (is that the right acronym)

No.

It's GW.